Oh Mr Butters you have got to eat.  Winter isn't over yet.

LC, oh how I love your new mare.  She is really cute , hope she rides out well for you & the family.  Sound like you got yourself a perfect trade with the cow.

LC, your mare looks like a darling!  Butters, wow.  How old is he?  With his teeth recently being done, he may just be at that age where winter won't treat him right.  I'll hope for an early spring with good grass so he can fill out again.  RR, I love the train tables for your shortman - they look like so much fun!  NP, I checked and it had been a while (fall) since I'd de-wormed so I did so Saturday night.  Figured it couldn't hurt and I remembered that last spring he dropped weight, hair looked awful dull and after I de-wormed he picked right up.  He wasn't eating well over the weekend and I thought about calling the vet .... but after thinking about it, he didn't have a temp, he had good gut sounds and it would take a long time to starve to death so I put it off until Monday.  Yesterday I noticed his poo wasn't a splash and it was more like a cow plop.  Today the cow plop is looking firmer, he finished his pellets and ate a noticeable amount of hay overnight AND he felt cheeky enough to *run* from me when it was time for meds this morning!  
I called the vet and gave them a positive update and they just want me to continue to finish up his meds.

Heidi, looks like Leo is on the mend & starting to feel much better.

I fell sorry for those who have horses that seem to get hit in the winter.  Just like us the weather hits us differently & our ponies are no different.  Fingers crossed for an early spring.

The layout does keep him busy.  Shortman mentioned that at the next railroad show he needs to buy another set of ore cars.  He is of the belief the the track needs to be completely jammed full.  He gets the track so full that he is unable to move the cars around.  The trackage he has is full of industry & nothing else.  Well when the day comes that there is more room for a bigger layout it will be my job to build the town & country side.  There is a really cool model of a cow being abducted by a UFO that would be really fun to put in a farm scene.

9 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

There is a really cool model of a cow being abducted by a UFO that would be really fun to put in a farm scene.

That's awesome!

RRW. that train model is awesome!  That reminds me that LJ wanted to go back to a place in St. Augustine to look at an old one they have.  Everyone loves looking at those.  :)  Why does it always have to be the poor cows that get abducted?  LOL!

Heidi, maybe poor Leo had some sneaky little parasites and the diarrhea was caused by their abrupt departure... With the non-stop rain we've all had down here, it's a reminder to deworm ours, too.  The parasites are really having a great time in this mild, wet weather.  Hope he keeps improving.  

NP, thanks for the link!  I think I can mostly read it.  She's from Nevada and 10 years old.  Beyond that, I know her history from the previous owner.  She was gathered off the range and turned up at a slaughterhouse in Texas 6 years ago.  A rescue here in Florida took her in and saddle-trained her.  The lady I bought her from rode her as a greenie.  Now, she's done lots of trails and even obstacles, so she has seen a lot.  She needed some ground work from me, as she settled in, to learn to trust me as 'her person'.  She looks at everything, but no spooking.  She doesn't even flinch when helicopters fly around from the base.  She watches them, but doesn't freak, like some range gathered Mustangs.  Today is saddle work in the round pen for both Freckles and Bitsy (her name is because she's only 14 hands).  

LC, even though it is work you must be enjoying your time doing the ground work with your two.  By the way I love Bitsy for a name.

Ok so it can stop snowing anytime.  We have enough of a base for the big cross country ski race in a couple of weeks.There was a little break between last night & this afternoon.  However, it isn't supposed to stop till Thursday.  

It's still warm here, thank goodness. If it were cold the three inches of rain forecast for the next two days would be TOO MUCH snow. Actually, it's too much rain too.

Our weather has been up and down. One day it is close to 70 and the next in the 30's. Today it is 40 and misting. Be careful out in the extreme cold and snow. My brother lives in PA and last week he decided to do some snow removal. That was a big mistake and he had a heart attack. He is home and doing well.

I'm going to need to take some vitamin D, if the sun doesn't come out soon! Hate this gloomy weather.

LC, love your little mare. I had one that was a little over 14 hands and she was so great to ride. Real sturdy. She loved the kids fussing over her 

RRW, please keep your snow up there:P

Yesterday was such a beautiful day. 75 degrees and sunny and I loved every minute. My pups did too. Rode the blind appy in just a rope halter. Back to reality (work) today.

20190205_140707.jpg

20190205_140703.jpg

20190205_140642.jpg

QB, Glad you could enjoy warm weather  & a good ride, I have 9-10 inches of fluffy snow to move, So I better get going at it.  Hope Mr Butters get bacj in shape for riding later.  PD

1 hour ago, jubal said:

Do you have a photo of the pup you kept? We haven't seen how she turned out.

Omg I have TONS! I never ever thought Id own a hound but I love every hair on this girl, and she loves me. She is the best girl ever. She had a ton of fun chasing the geese at the farm yesterday.  

First pic is of her last year

Second pic is of her last week. Shes a fat hound dog lol.

Third is how she lays on the couch with me. Her head is always on my neck.

Last one is how she sleeps next to me every night. Ignore the red nose, I was fighting a nasty cold.

Shes grown SO much in a year! She loves everybody and every thing. Wish I hadve gotten pics of her and one of the minis chasing each other the other day, too funny!

Screenshot_2019-02-06-12-11-57.png

20190113_203054.jpg

20181230_212912.jpg

20190127_210530.jpg

1 hour ago, jubal said:

Do you have a photo of the pup you kept? We haven't seen how she turned out.

A couple more...

First one is of her and Faith at the farm yesterday. Faith is my girl that just got over an obstruction. Shes totally back to herself.

Second is of her cleaning my old girl (17) Jennas ear.

Screenshot_2019-02-06-12-21-53.png

Screenshot_2019-02-06-12-22-21.png

She turned out to be a pretty dog. What happened to the other one that came with her?

Edited by jubal

LOL, I think I have that same fuzzy blanket in the pic of her on your neck!  (gray, green, brown w/ a horse on it?)  She turned into a pretty solid dog.

54 minutes ago, jubal said:

She turned out to be a pretty dog. What happened to the other one that came with her?

Her sister Frankie turned out to be gorgeous too, just like I thought. I gave her to a nurse at work and thought she'd have a wonderful life. Boy was I wrong. This idiot left her out in violent thunderstorms etc. Eventually she got hit by a car. Broke my heart and I kick myself every day for not keeping her too.

Screenshot_2018-05-12-18-00-39.png

Ok it can stop snow at anytime.  Probably at 4 inches or more & it is coming down heavy.

Thank heavens we got that new plow truck this year.  Would absolutely hate to think of what the plow bill would be if we had to hire it out.

So .... the diarrhea issues are slowly improving but his appetite hasn't really picked up to where I'd like it.  He is drinking well and managing to keep hydrated.

New problem I noticed on Saturday:
Image may contain: horse and outdoor

Phone was on a kind of "fish-eye" setting, his gaskin and hock will look odd in this pic, but it is fine.  

The swelling isn't hot and he can still drop to pee.  I called the vet yesterday and they will come out on Monday for a re-check of the diarrhea and this new development.  I had noticed his ****** was flaky and planned to have the vet do teeth-checks and sheath cleaning at Spring shots and Coggins.  This will have pushed things up a bit, though I don't want to vaccinate him while he's not feeling his best.  
Someone suggested I hand-walk him to possibly help the edema go down.  Tomorrow I will bring him up to the house to wash his tail and back legs and then I think we'll go for a hand walk if his energy level seems up for it.  If not, maybe we'll just hand-graze around the property.

Edited by Heidi n Q

Cold hose him with the garden hose to help with swelling.  Clean his sheath with ky jell.  That way you don't have to worry so much about rinsing.  Put the ky tube in a bucket of warm water & use an old sock to clean.  Good luck & I pray the swelling is from something minor.

I've used a syringe full of mineral oil squirted in the sheath before, and let it clean itself. But not a swollen one. I'd wait for the vet for that. It may be swollen for another reason.

You should still be able to clean with the swelling.  I had to do this with Tucker who was swollen way worse & it didn't bother him with cleaning.  But please get the cold hose on him, he may not agree but it will help.

The swelling can be from a number of different things.  Could be just from not moving around much as he wasn't feeling well, could be just dirty.

No visible effect with the benadryl so I think I can rule out a bug bite.  I did wash his tail and cold hose him.  I wasn't up for a walk so we grazed around the yard a bit.  I have to go into town for a library function and will stop at Tractor Supply to see if they have a sheath cleaner and will pick up ky jelly at the pharmacy.  I have long gloves, husband will have to donate a sock to the cause and I think soaking in a bucket of hot water is a fantastic idea.