Heidi, our old gelding had some similar symptoms, (loose stools, edema) and then was slow to shed out that spring.  Turned out to be Cushings, but it took a few more years to really show up.  What kind of grain do you feed?  Is it low starch?  Is he grazing on rye grass?  Is he a breed that is prone to Cushings or other metabolic disease?   Is he overweight or does he have a cresty neck?

Edited by little cow

My brother and I went to a Murder Mystery dinner last night. The production group whos plays I frequent put it on. It was set up as a wedding reception where we were on the grooms side, the Texas Merrygolds..cattle rustlers and oil tycoons. The bride's side were hippies and tree huggers. We were given character names and descriptions. The story took some twists and turns but we both made it out. The food was absolutely delicious, the alcohol was mixed just right and the show was a lot of fun. Of course we dressed the part as did many others which added to the fun. In my honest opinion, the plays have been much better but we had a wonderful time. My brother had a really good time and is totally hooked now, hes coming to see a play when the season starts. 

20190209_173857.jpg

20190209_173019.jpg

20190209_171942.jpg

received_629837204102985.jpeg

Everything Wolfbane Productions does is fun! So glad I found them last year. Cant wait for their season to start this year!

So we cold-hosed twice yesterday and again today.  Vet came around 10am, took more blood, left more bio-Sponge, gave me some Ulcer-Guard and gave him a steroid injection to help with the edema, which she says is caused by the diarrhea.  She thinks the steroids will help reduce the swelling.  I asked her to feel his teeth and she said there are sharp points.  After she left, I tried the glove, ky jelly and sock and Leo wasn't very cooperative and I was alone so I didn't pursue.  I did manage to get some of the ky up there, so when he drops I'm hoping it will soften things.  On our way back to the barn, I let him graze whatever he wanted from the lawn along the way.

We made an appointment for next Tuesday to do Coggins and vaccinations for the other two and a proper sheath cleaning and teeth floating for Leo.  We'll determine vaccinations for him at that time.  Vet did ask me to PowerPak him so I will be looking into purchasing that.  Haven't heard back about the blood test yet but I knew she was going to be super-busy this afternoon.  

I had laid Leo's blanket on the concrete floor of the hay-barn and a stray tomcat peed on it.  It stunk to high heaven and I wanted to use the blanket on him tonight.  So, I had to bring it inside to wash.  Husband noticed the odor right away!  Luckily, by the time we got back from town, the odor had dissipated while it was in the wash and now it smells fresh and clean - all ready for this evening.

LC, you posed important questions and I wanted to answer them properly.

What kind of grain do you feed?  Is it low starch?  I believe it is.  It's plain old Strategy.   I add 2T sunflower seeds year round and 1T of rice bran in the winter.   While he has not been eating, I bought several things to tempt him - the most successful was the compressed bale of timothy hay.  I also bought a chopped hay w/ molasses, a soft Senior feed and a dry extruded (large pellet) feed that is low starch, high fiber (he's kinda "meh" about them but I can see he has nibbled at them).  I've been giving him 1 chopped carrot twice a day and this distracts him while I administer his warm enema/suppository medication of Metronidazole.  I cannot believe how *EASY* this is to give rectally!
Is he grazing on rye grass?  No rye in our grass or hay.  I believe the round bale hay is tiff-44/orchard grass and the compressed bale is timothy.
Is he a breed that is prone to Cushings or other metabolic disease?   Yes, he is a Peruvian and I do keep that in mind.
Is he overweight or does he have a cresty neck?  No, when he first came he was a great, soft chunk with the beginnings of a neck but being with the other horses in the large paddock they exercise each other and we were riding regularly.  He was rounded and muscular, but no longer what I could call soft or fat.

Edited by Heidi n Q

You might want to asked the vet about extended steroid meds.  Feel very worried for your boy as the edema was the first sign of mine going down hill very fast.  Sorry if I caused more worry but I personaly know how scary it is.  Leo is in my thoughts.

So it has been snow since about 5am.  Please make it stop as I have shoveled 3x already around the motel.  Should really get my gear on & do it again.  Just hate letting it get deep.  Do believe the hot tub is calling my name tonight.

Cautiously optimistic!  

Confession time:  Vet gave me a bag full of meds (bio-sponge and ulcer guard) for Leo and I didn't start them that Monday night or this morning, I had planned to give him a break from me stuffing things in him and start tonight...  

HOWEVER...

Last night, Leo's chopped hay bucket was empty and when I walked into the barn at 1am, he flipped it at me with his nose as if to say "Fill this NOW" so I did.  It was empty again this morning at 6:30 and I filled it.  Was gone 7:30am - 5:00pm for Library Staff Development and had stopped at Tractor Supply for a compressed bale of alfalfa, per vet.  BIL carried it down to the barn for me at 6pm and Leo again flipped his (empty!) chopped hay bucket at me so I re-filled.  I thought he looked 'brighter', more perky and lively.  Happy.  Went back down at 10pm to blanket him and the chopped hay bucket was empty again(!) so I refilled.

I blanketed him, but first checked his tail (which I had thoroughly washed Monday after the vet left) and it was still squeaky clean!  His sheath seems less swollen.  I forgot to check along his underline for swelling and will do so in the AM and take my phone to do another photo to compare size and confirm reduction.  I opened the alfalfa and put a flake in another bucket and he started munching right away.  I'll check him again about 2am before I go to bed.

Will call vet in the morning to update.  We do have another appointment for next Tuesday for all horses vaccinations, coggins, teeth and sheath.  Vet will determine if Leo can have vaccinations or if we'll need to give him more time to recover and do them later.

Edited by Heidi n Q

My stalls came in handy last night. It was pouring rain and cold. Put them in their stalls, gave them their grain and some hay and went home for a while. Came back and let everyone back out. Worked out very well.

Mr. Butters is doing much better with his hay. I just wish I could say that hes gaining weight. He is not, not an ounce and looks horrid. He does feel well and is spunky/perky. I dont understand it.

We are reducing our cow herd, again.  One cow/calf pair and a heifer.  We are only keeping about 3-4 for breeding and the steers.  I am starting to love pasture so much that I want to see this farm properly stocked so it can support the animals on it.  I'm tired of buying and hauling hay.  

Has anyone used a small manure spreader?  I'm looking at buying one for our composted manure (we don't dare spread fresh stuff down here in the wonderland of bugs).  

Freckles update:  He is not being very consistent, so I have my doubts about him being a good husband horse.  This is going to sound bad, but I think it's because he was an english type horse.  In my experience, more naughty behaviors are present in english type horses.  It's understandable because he was used as an eventer.  There is a little crazy inherent in jumping horses, lol!  He is fun, but not a family horse.  Regardless, I am riding him regularly to tune him up and get rid of as many of his spoiled habits as I can.  He might do really well as a low level eventer or hunter for someone.  We have an appointment with a trainer next month to evaluate him (she is an expert on Appys).  

Bitsey update:  She is awesome.  I love Mustangs.  So much common dang sense in a horse.  There is no comparison between horses bred by natural selection and horses bred by people.  We are going to try an obstacle course next month.  

LC, Freckles may not be the right fit in the end.  However, on the positive of him being with you is that you may just find what he is good for.  If you are not seeing the progress that you anticipated then a trainer is a good idea.

On 2/10/2019 at 3:12 AM, Heidi n Q said:

... problem I noticed on Saturday:
Image may contain: horse and outdoor

Today:
Image may contain: outdoor

DEFINITE improvement, empty feed buckets AND we have poo PILES, no more splats!

Fingers crossed I make you all hungry.

Today trying a new recipe for corn potato chowder & buns.  I'll admit the buns are cheaters from frozen bough balls.  Don't have much luck baking with yeast.

IMG_20190213_155059.jpg

What a forum! From horse ***** to dinner pics in three posts!

That looks much improved Heidi. Maybe he ate something that disagreed with him and now it's cleared his system. You don't have neighbors who would feed him something, do you? If the grass is poor right now, he could have eaten something he ordinarily wouldn't.

RRW, you didn't make me hungry but that's because I just ate. Your offering looks delicious, even if you did cheat on the rolls.

Queen, just keep feeding him as long as he's happy, don't worry about him.

LC, any horse can be inconsistent. His job has nothing to do with it. His training has everything to do with it.

Oh, that soup and buns look FANTASTIC!  

Leo is still doing well today.  I don't know what went on with him but it looks like he's through the worst of it.  No neighbors share a fence line and there are no children in the neighborhood that could walk down to see the horses and possibly feed them things.  I suspect Giardia and it simply took that long for the metronidazole to kick in.

Guess what yall?! The farrier came today! Lol. Everyone got trimmed and I havent heard any complaining from the landlord...yet. I took Benny and Faith with me to the farm, mainly because Benny has been up all night for the past 2 nights. She needed some exercise, and she got it...4 hours of nonstop running and playing. She is completely passed out in my lap right now. A tired pup is a happy pup, although she stinks to high heaven of a combination of horse poo, cow poo, and mud.

I asked the farrier if he had any input on Mr. Butters. He suggested Kalm Ultra feed by Tribute. Its a 12/12/12 feed with prebiotics and probiotics. Im willing to give it a try. Gotta find it first.

20190214_123935.jpg

Edited by QueenBAW

I took myself and my aunt to lunch for Vday. Those strawberries would look good, if I liked strawberries. Looks like you have some whupped pups.

I had to be taxi service for bit today.  My one staffer gave me a nice little bouquet of mums. & cookies.  

Needles to say Odie enjoyed the mum or consumed them the most. Cookies are sage as they were stuffed into the glove box.

Should have known the flowers were not safe but how is one to know.  Then again this is the dog who ate marigolds.  Marigolds are suppose to keep vermin out.

Who Me??

IMG_20170228_112610.jpg