Couple pics of Mr. Butters yesterday. Maybe hes gained some weight in the bottom of his belly. That hind end though is atrocious. My local feed store is all out of alfalfa hay and not sure if they'll get more. Looks like Ill be making the switch to cubes, or buying the compressed bales. Ive looked at the Kalm Ultra feed my farrier suggested and it seems as though Triple Crown Senior is covering every thing that the Kalm Ultra contains. I am considering adding Cool Calories to his feed.

20190215_141859.jpg

20190215_141910.jpg

Edited by QueenBAW

He looks better compared to the pic you posted on the 4th.

For a total crap adventure today.......went to the farm to feed & water the ponies.  Needless to say watering ponies meant going into town to buy 5gal pails with lids, go to the motel & fill pails, then haul out to the farm.  Yup my faucet was frozen & my tick of using the hair dryer didn't work.  So tomorrow I'll repeat the process.

Didn't make it a total waste as I took some pics of my fuzzy wuzzy monsters.  When I get my work done I'll share them with you.

1 hour ago, QueenBAW said:

Couple pics of Mr. Butters yesterday. Maybe hes gained some weight in the bottom of his belly. That hind end though is atrocious. My local feed store is all out of alfalfa hay and not sure if they'll get more. Looks like Ill be making the switch to cubes, or buying the compressed bales. Ive looked at the Kalm Ultra feed my farrier suggested and it seems as though Triple Crown Senior is covering every thing that the Kalm Ultra contains. I am considering adding Cool Calories to his feed.

20190215_141859.jpg

20190215_141910.jpg

When you consider old, out of condition horses sag in the middle just like old people, he really isn't  in THAT bad a shape. Gravity has a lot to do with the rough topline.

19 minutes ago, noponies said:

When you consider old, out of condition horses sag in the middle just like old people, he really isn't  in THAT bad a shape. Gravity has a lot to do with the rough topline.

His topline had always been a struggle. His hind end and those ribs are what depresses me. 

51 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

He looks better compared to the pic you posted on the 4th.

For a total crap adventure today.......went to the farm to feed & water the ponies.  Needless to say watering ponies meant going into town to buy 5gal pails with lids, go to the motel & fill pails, then haul out to the farm.  Yup my faucet was frozen & my tick of using the hair dryer didn't work.  So tomorrow I'll repeat the process.

Didn't make it a total waste as I took some pics of my fuzzy wuzzy monsters.  When I get my work done I'll share them with you.

I think he looks a tiny bit better. 

Ive had that same crap adventure X10! Years ago I was riding at a barn all the way across town from me. The barn owners went on their honeymoon and left me in charge. Their faucets froze and so I hauled water in rubbermaid containers in my backseat all the way to their farm. It was quite the adventure lol.

1 hour ago, QueenBAW said:

His topline had always been a struggle. His hind end and those ribs are what depresses me. 

Its still a lot to do with lack of muscle, and gravity pulling the belly down makes the ribs show more.

There was snow forecast here for overnight. Nary a flake fell anywhere in the area. It wasn't mentioned on the weather spot this morning. You'd think they would be embarrassed.

I know all about dressing warmly. Odie has nothing on me. Besides, I have toe and hand warmers.

6 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Miss Zip is all to keen on selfies.  She is very fuzzy this year.  Her coat wasn't nearly as thick last winter.

IMG_20190216_103000.jpg

IMG_20190216_103347.jpg

Aww, she reminds me of my first pony.

QB,  Your pictures are very good, if those are selfies, then you have mastered it, The picture of Magoo,  I agree has a great smile, but your's is better.  Glad the compressed bales are working for you, I know they are spendy, but I'm sure you've found away to stretch them along with regular hay, that makes a difference.  I wish you continued good luck.

jubal, Glad your weather guessers were wrong, about the snow,  I think the last snow we got was, no more than frozen dew in the air.  But temp was cold  today, I thinl our high might have been 15-20 degrees.  Take Care, PD

22 hours ago, Proud Dad said:

QB,  Your pictures are very good, if those are selfies, then you have mastered it, The picture of Magoo,  I agree has a great smile, but your's is better.  Glad the compressed bales are working for you, I know they are spendy, but I'm sure you've found away to stretch them along with regular hay, that makes a difference.  I wish you continued good luck.

jubal, Glad your weather guessers were wrong, about the snow,  I think the last snow we got was, no more than frozen dew in the air.  But temp was cold  today, I thinl our high might have been 15-20 degrees.  Take Care, PD

Those pics weren't mine/me..they were RailroadWoman.

My stalls came in super handy again tonight. They take minutes to put together and make things much easier in the pouring rain. And, the horses have gotten the routine down as well. They seem to be thankful for a warm dry spot to eat their dinner and relax. I go home while they eat and come back in a couple hours. This gives Mr. Butters time to eat his hay, which he is doing VERY well now. Hes not leaving much behind like he was before. Im super happy about that. Now if I could just find some regular alfalfa bales instead of the compressed.

Ive decided to give him hay on my work days and cubes on my days off. This way Ill have plenty of time to soak the cubes on my days off vs. my work days. I think hes getting better, very little by little, but Ill take it.

2 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

That's OK PD.  I figured you A: didn't have your glasses on B: didn't drink enough coffee to wake up  C: combination of all the above.

RRW,  You were right,  all of the above, plus a bit of old age mixed in.   But I'm trying to improve. PD

Pics of my makeshift stalls. Sonics stall is on the far end with no one next to him because he likes to reach over and bite bootys. Bad boy. The sides stay put and I just take the front panels off when Im done so they all can still hang out in the barn together. Theyre just tied to the pole with paracord.

20190218_175237.jpg

20190218_175246.jpg

20190218_175301.jpg

46 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

Looks like the minis are starving like mine this winter.  I like how you did the stall & looks to work perfect for what you need them for.

Lol arent minis always starving?! That ones actually pregnant in her defense.

I gave Mr. Butters the soaked alfalfa cubes last night and the night before. He didn't finish them and I figured here we go with Mr. Picky pants again. Tonight Im happy to say he licked his bowl clean. Maybe it was the time I spent making sure every cube was soaked and seperated. Yep, every last cube. Thats ok though as long as he eats it.

Supposed to get some winter weather in tonight. Ice, some snow, freezing rain. Glad I dont have to work tomorrow.

Anyone read any good books lately? I just finished "Under the Trestle" about the 1980 murder of a local college student and Virginias first no body murder trial. It was extremely interesting, and I highly recommend it. Spoiler alert..the jerk is still doing life and still won't tell where the body is. I searched all over town today for the next book I want to read "One day she'll darken" by Fauna Hodel. No library or Barnes and Noble had it. Looks like Ill be getting it off ebay and then donating to my little local library when Im done.

Edited by QueenBAW

I had finished Sleeping Beauties by Steven & Owen King.  Was about the women across the world going to sleep. I really enjoyed it & sure made you think of what the world would be with no women only men.

9 hours ago, QueenBAW said:

I gave Mr. Butters the soaked alfalfa cubes last night and the night before. He didn't finish them and I figured here we go with Mr. Picky pants again. Tonight Im happy to say he licked his bowl clean. Maybe it was the time I spent making sure every cube was soaked and seperated. Yep, every last cube. Thats ok though as long as he eats it.

Supposed to get some winter weather in tonight. Ice, some snow, freezing rain. Glad I dont have to work tomorrow.

Anyone read any good books lately? I just finished "Under the Trestle" about the 1980 murder of a local college student and Virginias first no body murder trial. It was extremely interesting, and I highly recommend it. Spoiler alert..the jerk is still doing life and still won't tell where the body is. I searched all over town today for the next book I want to read "One day she'll darken" by Fauna Hodel. No library or Barnes and Noble had it. Looks like Ill be getting it off ebay and then donating to my little local library when Im done.

www.thriftbooks.com/