Would think they would be able to jump ground polls.  I am surprised that they don't do show in hand as it teaches the fundamentals of ground work.

14 hours ago, jubal said:

Queen, I wondered about the jumping too. I found this miniature forum thread. It's old but the info isn't. It has good ideas for training and making jumps too. You do have some older minis, right?

https://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/threads/jumping.137078/

Thank you! I will definitely check that out. The girls minis are coming 2 year olds. I do have 4 older minis but 2 are very pregnant. 

It's warm here, about 60, but there's a wind that will practically knock you over. We had torrential rain last night and half of Jubal's stall got wet. It's a large stall and he had plenty of room in the dry half but he chose to lie in the wet part. Long, shedding wet hair, yuck!

Leo looks awful.  
I turned him out with the other two today, just to give him a change of scenery.  Hoping for results from the manure sample I took to the vet last week.  If there is no clear diagnosis with an aggressive treatment plan going forward, I think I'll make arrangements to take him to UGA on Tuesday.

Photos show how much weight he's lost.  He's becoming very angular with muscle loss and sunken in, though he is drinking well and licking salt.  He has not eaten well this weekend.  

My poor boy, I just want him to feel better.  

zzz 03.10.2019 a.jpg

zzz 03.10.2019 d.jpg

zzz 03.10.2019 f.jpg

zzz 03.10.2019 j.jpg

zzz 03.10.2019 k.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:00 PM, jubal said:

Queen, I wondered about the jumping too. I found this miniature forum thread. It's old but the info isn't. It has good ideas for training and making jumps too. You do have some older minis, right?

https://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/threads/jumping.137078/

Just read the thread. Looks like Margarita will have to wait a few years before starting her jumping career, lol. I think we'll work on lunging. I haven't taught the girls or the ponies how to lunge. We've ground driven June some and she does pretty well. I'd love to send her off to be trained to drive, she has the mentality for it. But, I have to remember that these minis don't belong to me and I can not afford to shell out money for training for an animal that isn't mine. There is a beginner driving clinic right up the road In a few weeks that I want to take the girls to. My cowgirl has shown a lot of interest in driving.

It would be easy to train them to drive. Your girls could do that--one leading, one driving with LONG reins. I used long nylon rope with snaps and a snaffle headstall. Then you have to find a cart and persuade Grandpa to buy it.

Be careful with the lounging. A lot of that is not good for young ones.

Do you have a pony saddle?  There are some good youtube video for drive training a pony.  I lucked out & got another pony saddle from a staffer.  So my goal is to get Zip going.  Magoo is fine but he hasn't been ridden in a long long time.

2 hours ago, jubal said:

It would be easy to train them to drive. Your girls could do that--one leading, one driving with LONG reins. I used long nylon rope with snaps and a snaffle headstall. Then you have to find a cart and persuade Grandpa to buy it.

Be careful with the lounging. A lot of that is not good for young ones.

We worked on driving last year. I have a mini surcingle. We could work on it some more. What usually happens is that both pony and kid get frustrated. But, we're runnin out of obstacle ideas, so we could work on driving. Every once in a while I come across a little cart, but getting Grandaddy to buy it will be like pulling teeth I'm sure. Eh, its worth a try.

FB_IMG_1552322100242.jpg

Edited by QueenBAW

Attach drag polls or pool noodles to get them used to something along side.  Also have the girls wear something that will make noise as they work from behind so the ponies get used to odd sounds from behind.

So, miscommunication w/ vet down the street.  
I thought I was clear about explaining what his problem was, what Rx he'd been treated with and how I needed to know what was going on inside to cause the diarrhea issue.  
Gal at the desk didn't listen and sent the samples for a fecal egg count.  

Called original vet and they said they could certainly run a culture on the manure to see what is going on, so that is my next step.  I'll get a fresh manure sample and drive it to their clinic to save a farm call.  I've been advised to give Leo 20cc of liquid immodium and call them in 24hrs w/ the results of that one-time dose.

Question for you.  Going to say it is just me but guessing not really.  As one gets older & works with the public longer do you find you have less tolerance to people?  Today is a fine example.  Was out shoveling some more & had the dogs out with me.  Odie decided to go into deep snow in front yard & then went to where it was plowed.  He was nowhere near the road.

A vehicle pulls in & woman gets out giving Odie attention.  Well at this point when call he will not come back very fast because he's getting attention.  Then woman calls out "this your dog" I reply yes, then go back to my work.  Course she is still outside of her vehicle then finally gets in pulls around & stated pulled in because she seen a loose dog when driving down the road.  Said again he was mine.  Then she mouths off that I am ungrateful.    

In the time being here & amount of people that drive through our parking lot never ever had anyone stop to ask if they are my dogs. Heck the local PD has been here & enjoy seeing the dogs.  So my guess is this a person just looks for animals at any given time intentionally.  Would this person be the type to stop & take someones dog who is tied up & not in a fenced yard?  Pick up your cat that is in your yard?

Only problem with Odie is when the employees at the lube station two doors over are out taking a break.  He will go visit them.  Luckily he has a pattern so I know where he went.

Ok my vent is very much over.  Thinking I might need some more fresh air & sunshine.

Heidi, at the point I would be beating my head with the phone.  Sorry the clinics are not listening or asking you the right questions.  

13 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

Attach drag polls or pool noodles to get them used to something along side.  Also have the girls wear something that will make noise as they work from behind so the ponies get used to odd sounds from behind.

I hadn't thought of that until I looked at the pics in the thread jubal posted earlier. Lord knows we have a slew of pool noodles from last years obstacle shenanigans. I'm sure we can come up with something clangy to drag behind lol.

Yesterday we spent a good 15 minutes crossing a ditch like area. All the rain has cut a ditch through an adjoining field into the pond. There's some water in the ditch, and its not usually there at all, so it was new for the minis yesterday. Margarita jumped it but June put on the brakes. So my cowgirl and I walked around the pond to the ditch and sure enough June put on the brakes at the ditch. I happened to have a lead rope in my hand and used it as a butt rope and we got her across different parts of the ditch. I had my cowgirl do it over and over until we no longer needed a butt rope, and eventually June would walk right across next to my cowgirl. My cowgirl thought it was pretty neat that she did it without hesitation at the end. I explained to her that you cant just let them be the boss and decide what they will and wont do, you have to try hard and practice.

Broom handles would also work.  

Well we went out to feed the ponies & cats.  With the stupid road ban our road to the farm is HORRIBLE.  Hubby said it wasn't good but I didn't think it was THAT bad.  With the drift in some parts only one vehicle can get through & the inconsiderate people you meet on the road who will not slow down or edge over.  

Ooops sorry......must be pms as I am sounding like cranky witchy mare  today.

"DON'T LOOK AT ME!!!!"

Image result for cranky mare

8 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Question for you.  Going to say it is just me but guessing not really.  As one gets older & works with the public longer do you find you have less tolerance to people?  Today is a fine example.  Was out shoveling some more & had the dogs out with me.  Odie decided to go into deep snow in front yard & then went to where it was plowed.  He was nowhere near the road.

A vehicle pulls in & woman gets out giving Odie attention.  Well at this point when call he will not come back very fast because he's getting attention.  Then woman calls out "this your dog" I reply yes, then go back to my work.  Course she is still outside of her vehicle then finally gets in pulls around & stated pulled in because she seen a loose dog when driving down the road.  Said again he was mine.  Then she mouths off that I am ungrateful.    

In the time being here & amount of people that drive through our parking lot never ever had anyone stop to ask if they are my dogs. Heck the local PD has been here & enjoy seeing the dogs.  So my guess is this a person just looks for animals at any given time intentionally.  Would this person be the type to stop & take someones dog who is tied up & not in a fenced yard?  Pick up your cat that is in your yard?

Only problem with Odie is when the employees at the lube station two doors over are out taking a break.  He will go visit them.  Luckily he has a pattern so I know where he went.

Ok my vent is very much over.  Thinking I might need some more fresh air & sunshine.

SHE'S TRYING TO STEAL ODIE! Did you get her license plate number? He'd better go into hiding--in KY.

Edited by jubal

Jubal, it is plain old to hot in KY.  Odie has been like a pig in poo the past two day with the temps in the 30's & snow.  Now there is a perfectly good big old puddle that one HAS to walk through to get in the front door.

Someone stealing has always been in the back of my mind ever since we had started taking our dogs to work.  Have heard a number of stories  from people about the social friendly business dog disappearing.  I do have to get new tags seeing as they ripped off the old ones.

No change with the immodium.

I have to share how I got the stool sample:

He's having liquid diarrhea and vet told me to "hang out with him, holding a baggie, bowl or bucket, and when he lifts his tail, catch some."  Well, I wasn't sure how quick I could be.  So I bought some bandage tape (I was looking for elasticon but got what Tractor Supply had) and got a grocery store plastic bag.  Tied Leo and my friend held my supplies as I created the "catch" bag.  I taped one side of the plastic bag opening *just* under his anus, taped the other side to the upper underside of his tail.  Placed the handles of the bag over his tail and taped them to the hair.  

It. Worked!
He walked around less than 2 minutes, then stopped and lifted his tail, shooting about 4 cups of liquid into the catch-bag!  

What I didn't consider, was him walking away from me with this "weird thing" on his tail.  As he walk a few steps, the tape started giving way from the weight of the liquid.  It felt strange, so he clamped his tail and scooted a few steps with the heavy bag banged against the back of his legs.  So the bag split and spilled most of the liquid.  THEN he lets me approach to remove the bag, which by that time only had liquid residue inside it.
I called the vet and they said they just needed enough to make some smears and even less than a teaspoon of liquid would work.  I was surprised, but pleased it had worked, so off to the vet I went!  

Vet has the sample and it will go to UGA tomorrow for culturing and when that is done I hope it will tell us what is going on and how we can help Leo recover.

*vet office also gave me a couple pounds of a feed to try - Ultium Gastric Care. 
If he likes it, there is a local Mom/Pop feed store that carries it.  For today, I roped off about a half acre of green/some-grass beside the corral and put Leo in it to graze for a couple hours.

Haha! It's probably a good thing you're not a nurse! Brought back memories of collecting pee samples at the race track.

Our Chessie is 9 months old now and he is off to be evaluated for duck hunting. 

The bad news is that he is going back to the breeder's.  The good news (for him) is that he is not getting neutered.  

He has been doing well with his training but he and my husband don't see eye-to-eye.  He has been a challenge for me to train, but I love his intelligence and his various noises.  He responds to me, but he's big and burly and knocks us over occasionally out of puppy exuberance.  I am willing to stick with him (so is LJ) but my husband has had enough.  Leo knows all his basic commands.  He is housetrained, leash-trained, crate-trained and does well on the farm (except for the chickens, who are locked up).  We never used physical punishment or harsh collars (the martingale collar works great without choking).  His only fault is really just that initial greeting and exuberance, or if he gets overly excited about something.  Issues that can be corrected with persistence.  But my husband is unhappy and worried about injuries.  He feels terrible about asking us to send him back, but he puts us first.  I feel like I'm letting Leo down.  I even feel like I am letting the breeders down.  They asked all the right questions and I was prepared, but all of us have to get along with a new family member.  I've never given up a dog before.  It was hard to call the breeder, but that was the right thing to do.  The safest thing to do for Leo's future.  

My husband really misses our old shepherd we lost last year.  We thought we wanted a different kind of dog this time, but I think my husband just took longer to process losing Luther.  He just wants a shepherd again.  LJ told me he would be happy to raise a shepherd puppy with me.  Luther's breeder has another litter available soon.  

Tough week ahead for us because we are saying goodbye to our Leo.  But I know he will do well and we gave him a good, loving start.

For those that say we ought to adopt, I have had shelter dogs in the past, but my husband is against it.  He feels safer when we meet the parents of our puppy and know the dogs are well-bred and sound mentally and physically.  It's about LJ being safe (and me too).  I don't fight him on that, but we always buy from reputable breeders.  No puppy mills.  No pet shops.  The kind of breeder that takes a puppy back because they are in such demand.  It still sucks.  And I still have to housebreak another puppy and go through all the little puppy training stuff again.  *Sigh*

Edited by little cow

I hope for quick results, too.

For some, adopting is perfect.  For others, buying from a reputable breeder is perfect for them.  You've done the right thing by your Leo and his breeder AND you've put a good foundation on him for his next home.  Chessies are kinda known for their hard-headedness and I'm not surprised he didn't bond with everyone in the family, but still sad for your husband, whom Leo left out in the cold.  

I've always been about the right fit when it comes to dogs.  I've bought sight unseen with newborn to adopting puppy from humane society.  Its a mixed bag as to what you get no matter how much homework you do when picking.

As for Leo it is no surprise there isn't the bond with you husband see you are the one doing the training.  If he is wanting a dog to hunt with he has to be the one to do it all or the pup will only attach to the main provider.  My husband feels left out of our pack but I have always been the leader.  As the dogs get older they are better with him.  He takes Odie out & gives more attention to him because of Odies temperment.  Last month hubby mentioned how good of a dog Odie has turned into.

If your husband is comfortable with a Shepard then get one.  If you are looking for something that basically loves everyone then look into a lab or golden.

Don't put yourself down with taking him back to the breeder as it just isn't the right fit.

Thanks, guys. My husband knows he won't be the primary person for any dog because I do the training.  Leo bonded with me as the trainer and LJ as his playmate.  My husband does work with him, but weekends just isn't enough.  Chessies pick their people.  My husband was mourning longer than any of us realized.  I think no dog had a chance until my husband's heart was ready for a new dog.  Now, he knows that only another shepherd will heal the big hole left behind. 

LJ and I were ready for another dog before my husband was, so we got that adorable little chocolate colored puppy.  Moving to a new place last summer felt insecure and we wanted a good watchdog.  We have our dear, sweet Maddie Springer Spaniel, but she's more likely to show intruders to the goods, lol!  It felt right for us, but not for him.  He kept waiting to warm up to Leo, but I think he couldn't stop himself from comparing him to what he just lost.   I kept reminding him of all the rotten things Luther did as a puppy, but it didn't help, lol! 

It's funny how you forget all those puppyhood indiscretions when your dog gets past the age of two.  By the time they hit 5, they have achieved sainthood.  And then, there is the quiet nobility of an old dog moving through the house in perfect rhythm with his family.  You can set your watch by an old dog's habits.  You know their contented sighs.  You can give them a quiet loving word from across the room to hear that old tail thump.  Sometimes you need more time for the old dog's spirit to move on before the puppy chaos erupts once again.  We moved soon after we lost Luther and that process was interrupted.  He is here with us, under a tree, but I think everything took longer.  

Edited by little cow

My hubby wasn't ready right away with the passing of Willy.  For him no dog will (I agree) be able to come close to Willy but he was the first pet ever for my hubby.  Someday I'll find another Willy personality dog for my husband.  Do believe my hubby feels little left out in the pack some days.

I am not of the type to go long with out a dog.  If something happens to George then I could probably put down money that we will have a new pup in less than a month.  Thats with searching & puppy testing.  Now if Odie went first no new puppy till George is gone as it would not work well in the household.  My preference is getting a pup in early winter, know people who think I am crazy for that.  However, I have more time to train as work is slow & potty training off leash is really easy especially if there is snow.