I'm glad you ladies love your dogs, I do like dogs, but also think  dogs need more attention than I'm willing to give right now. But I sure do enjoy the neighbor dog, when he comes up to visit. He is hines-57 variety,  but a good natured fellow.   Take Care  PD

RRW, I trained my first GSD in the snowy winter back in Colorado.  It did make it easier because we were both cold when we went outside and wanted to go back in.  His cue to go potty was, "Hurry up!", lol!

4 hours ago, noponies said:

Dogs can sense when someone rejects them.

That is true.  And it wasn't even Leo's fault.  

PD, sometimes dogs come along when you need them, if it's meant to be.  Meanwhile, I'm sure your cat appreciates the lack of a canine presence.  

No riding for me lately.

I've got the truck hooked up to the trailer and I'll be taking Leo to the Horse Hospital in the morning.  He just isn't eating and they don't want him getting weaker.  So far, the plan is for a comprehensive blood test, then fluids and some sort of nutrition they can give him through IV.

Last two days been to it to feed the ponies.  They need a trim badly bit never bothered having it done sooner as farrier would just s trim long anyways.  They are in a need for a good brushing but again I wasn't dressed for pony hair removal.  Then again they are wet with the mist/rain we have been getting.

I'm beginning to ride Jubal again after a year plus layoff. He is very proud of himself and remembers all his gonzo dressage moves. It sure feels good to be back on a horse.

Jubal, that is the kind of goof ball we have in our house.  Great that you are riding again, must feel really good.

Heidi, have safe travels & prayers that the university can help.

LC, how has Mr Freckles been doing?  Is he getting better for you?

Jubal, you must feel over the moon to be riding, I love it for you!

Leo is safely at the vet.  I had one hairy left turn at a 3-way stop but the approaching car stopped and gave us plenty of room to make the turn.  

Talked w/ the vet and treatment appears to be pretty aggressive.
Calcium gluconate by IV
Plasma by IV

N/G tube plasma
N/G nutrition (might be the plasma?)
Possible ultrasound to check for or rule out lymphoma
Transference (a poop milkshake from a healthy horse) - but will wait/see how he responds to other treatment first
The manure sample sent to UGA will be tested by PCR (genetic testing for microbial infectious protozoans)
He will stay with them through the weekend.  One of the treatments, I think the nutrition, is 3x/day IV for a minimum of 3 days.

Poor Leo! It sounds like they're pulling out all the stops. But you can rest easier knowing he's getting help. I've read about the transference treatment. It sounds like a simple way to heal the gut.

I got to ride yesterday. The weather has been gorgeous the past few days.

So my cowgirl and I played with one of the other minis this evening. I was gonna post a couple pics but my phone is being stupid. We got a saddle on her without any fuss. Took her for a walk in her saddle and even jumped her over the ditch a few times. No trouble. Then we distracted her with a bit of grain and added my cowgirl gradually until she was totally on, and then did a little walking. No fuss. My cowgirl was pretty proud of Cricket and herself since she was adamant about not getting on Cricket lol. We'll work on it again tomorrow and at some point Ill get the pics posted.

Heres those pics of Cricket and my cowgirl today. Its funny how a little grain provides just enough distraction. I did lead Cricket around with my cowgirl up and every thing was fine. We'll do it again tomorrow and introduce Cricket to some obstacles. She did walk over the bridge tonight so thats a start.

20190314_175010.jpg

20190314_181430.jpg

20190314_181604.jpg

PD, how much rain have you gotten in the past couple day?  Do you still have snow.  Our snow really dropped in the past 24hr.

QB, there is a reason why mini's are so much fun to work with.  They just seem to have a go with the flow attitude that makes it easy to work with them.  Even when they make a stink it never seems to last long.

RRW,   Haven't measured the rain but it had a light rain over night a couple nights,  the snow has gone down but still quite a bit to go yet, but the where snow was plowed,  that area is slowly turning to mud. Actually I could say I was playing a bit in the mud today,  redirecting water so it could run off effectively. My horses have put themselves in self imposed isolation, as they only walk from shelter to feeder, to water, they have 6 acres to move around, but, they don't like snow that was up to their belly, & now that it is melting, the wet snow is harder to walk in. But that could easily change in a few days, as the snow slowly melts.  PD

My two looked like drowned rats today.  On the bright side they don't look so fat.  I hate the going from wet weather to cold with the ponies.

Where it has been plowed here there has been a lot of melt.  Unfortunately starting tomorrow our temps will drop only to freeze the melt.

Is was 50 here today  so alot of melting water running many directions. but our high tomorrow is just above freezing, if sun is out that create more melting, but very slow, But we still have 24-30 inches of snow on the ground, down from over 40 inches.  My 7' snow piles might be down to 6' now, Like to keep my driveway plowed out so 2 cars can meet on it, it got down to a car & a half  could meet on it,  just ran out of places to push the snow. PD

This what driveway generally looks like during the winter, This winter it got much narrower,  with snow banks 4' high on sides,  & they ended up being 5' thick on each side also.  image.thumb.png.bf073848d2d32e61e34f3b1e4ba3f339.png my dri

image.thumb.png.411650ec1be8a854221168d5b2a37bd6.png

Edited by Proud Dad

Don't feel bad about Leo, Little Cow. At least you are trying to make it better for him (and you guys) and not just leaving him outside in a kennel or dumping him somewhere. 

Your comment about dogs reaching sainthood by 5, not so much for Chessies. My girl is 7 years old TODAY (Happy Birthday Kali) and she still acts like a puppy. I don't think that will ever change for her. She is an amazing pheasant and duck/goose hunter, but we also just recently started training her to shed hunt (finding the antlers that have fallen off deer) and she seems to be picking up on it really quickly.

While I am a huge fan of Chessies (considering I'm on my 3rd), I would NEVER own a male Chessie. They are far more stubborn and destructive than the females. And in my opinion, much more prone to be aggressive.

I have 4 big square bales sitting on poles in one shed, there is water under them in places,  as of yet the bales are dry, but they could absorb some of that moisture & mold also.  Hay has been pricey this year,  Same bales I paid $65.00 for are probably worth a $125.00 right now,  I moved part of it yesterday, & migt more today, but haven't had the water problems in the past that there are this year,  Doesn't make sense, but so far my basement is dry,  I could be eating my words before the day is over.  PD

PD hay last year was reasonable till September then it became spun gold.  I am going to see about getting our south field cut.  I have a staffer that would pay for the first cutting even with the weeds.  I want the second cutting.  First cutting should easily get 30+ rounds.

Luckily there won't be water in the basement till the frost starts to break.

Farah, totally agree that Chessies take that special person.  I have always admired how great they are in the field but a breed that I would never consider unless we were dedicated bird hunters.

RRW, if you have hay ground, you might as well make good use of it.   I have 40 aces, but only 5-6 that is suitable for pasture,  but still has stumps & rocks in it that arn't as noticeable, until it is to late. If I want to mow my pasture, I use a walk behind weed wacker.  Good exercise, & not as likely to break anything. PD

Here is the goofball birthday girl in all her glory. She really is a nut. I just got her a 2 lb knuckle bone, some doggy ice cream and a new toy for her birthday. How do you post a video? I have a great one of her last weekend showing how puppyish she still is at 7 years old.

20190227_185508 (002).jpg

Its a 70 degree day again today. Dont be too jealous as its very overcast and threatening to rain any minute. Looks like my cowgirl and I may not get much done with the minis this evening. Fingers crossed the rain holds off.

Jubal I think the halter you sent me last year will fit Cricket. Im gonna try it on her this evening.