What kind of bird dog is she?  The look decoy is still in one piece.

PD, our field is the old pasture & it has been cut in the past by people who would bale for free to cut fields to have hay for their cattle.  I dry lot the ponies so there is maybe 10 acres that can be cut.

5 hours ago, jubal said:

^^^I hope it works for her.

Looks like rain here too and too cold (for me) to ride.

It works! Do you happen to remember exactly what size it is? Im having the hardest time finding a halter to fit her. Foal size is tight and the nose band is higher than I like. I really like how this one fits, a little snugger would be ok too.

20190315_182629.jpg

I visited Leo before work today and I am feeling much better.

Yesterday when the vet called (in the evening) it sounded so grim. She said the ultrasound showed thickening of his intestinal membranes. I thought it could be due to inflammation but then the vet added his colon and cecum felt flaccid. I thought that could be due to having liquid in there with no solid material to grip around and move. Her concern is if the villi have sloughed away it would hinder his ability to absorb nutrition. I asked if it would grow back and she said it would but she would expect scar tissue which would also hinder absorption.

I felt so LOW yesterday and with everyone rooting for him, I just couldn't post about it. I was afraid I was going to lose him and I couldn't face it.

However today I went to visit him before work and they were in the middle of treating him. His ears were up, his eyes looked bright and his flanks were not as sunk in.

I also reminded myself they wouldn't go to these lengths if they didn't have a reasonable expectation of him recovering and having a good quality of life afterwards.

Vet said Leo was showing some sass when she went to halter him by swinging and ducking his nose away from the halter. For the passing of the tube through his nostril to his stomach they needed no tranq or even a twitch - he was being very agreeable and good for them. They tubed liquid equine senior feed, plasma and more calcium gluconate. Gave him oral Bio Sponge and another paste but I don't remember what it was - something to help soothe his intestines.

He did walk up to put his muzzle in my hand but I couldn't go in his stall because I had on my work shoes and wouldn't be able to step in the bleach water shoe bath on exiting his stall.

zzz 03.15.2019 a.jpg

This evenings shenanigans included driving "June". I think you could set off a bomb next to her and she'd just keep plodding along. She really has the mentality to drive. We'll try driving her over obstacles next. Annnnnd drumroll please....my cowgirl had her first tumble this evening! She came off "Cricket", the one we worked with yesterday. She was totally fine and got back on, and came off again lol. Shes fine. "Cricket" was extra spooky this evening, the wind may have played a part in that. But, we didnt give up and we walked her with her saddle on. I had it cinched up tighter tonight too so that may have played a part as well.  This mare has spent the past 3 years having babies. She is halter broke, but hasnt had any handling. She's scared of everything but very willing to do what you ask.

20190315_174805.jpg

20190315_174424.jpg

14 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

June and her cowgirl look adorable!

Aww thank you! June actually drives better for me than for her but I let her try til she gets frustrated, and then I drive for a little bit so we end on a good note.

Im glad Leo is doing better! 

Heidi,  Thanks for update on Leo, & glad he is showing signs of improvement.  That has to make your heart rest easier.

QB, Neat pictures of June & your cow girl, neat when they have such a laid back pony to work with, & train at the same time. Good luck going forward. Best Wishes. PD

Farah, Your girl is adorable!  There is so much I love about Leo, but he has to be loved by the whole family.  He's done well with his training, but he is a big, burly, dog that doesn't know how easily people fall over, lol!  I have not seen any signs of meanness in him.  I never used harsh training with him.  We use a martingale collar, which allows you to correct them without choking them.  He does very well on walks and he was socialized very well with people and animals.  I can even call him off the chickens when he tries to stalk them (knot-headed hen flies out of the coop sometimes).  He is a good boy.

Leo goes off to duck training this week.  We're excited for him.  He is going to have a great life doing what he was bred to do.  I feel like one of those families that raises puppies for service dogs.  I hope we gave him a loving start to a great working life ahead of him.  

Meanwhile, I am trying to get in puppy training mode again.  I can't believe how the timing worked out.  The GSD breeder, that we got our beloved Luther from, has a puppy for us.  He breeds, maybe, once per year and this is the only litter he will have this year.  When I called, he was so gracious and kind.  We have third pick out of five males.   This will be the third GSD I've raised.  I always wish dogs would live longer.  We pick up our new GSD pup at the end of the month.  

Queen, I have no idea what size the halter is. Too many years have passed. But if you call a tack company, (I use Sstack.com) they can give you measurements for halters I would think. It does look good on her.

Seeing the garage in your photo reminded me. When I was training Jubal to pull, I hooked him to an old tire to teach him the feel of pulling weight.

I'm pulling for Leo, Heidi. His demeanor means a lot.

3 hours ago, jubal said:

Queen, I have no idea what size the halter is. Too many years have passed. But if you call a tack company, (I use Sstack.com) they can give you measurements for halters I would think. It does look good on her.

Seeing the garage in your photo reminded me. When I was training Jubal to pull, I hooked him to an old tire to teach him the feel of pulling weight.

I'm pulling for Leo, Heidi. His demeanor means a lot.

I have thought about adding weight for her but I dont know how to attach it to her so to speak AND how old do they have to be to pull weight?? She'll be 2 in June.

I cant wait for Cricket to shed out so you can see what a pretty little head she has. I found a guy on a mini tack page on Facebook that deals with mini halters. I took some measurements fot him yesterday and he's sending a large mini size. We'll see how it fits.

I have to admit I Googled something and it scared me silly.  I'm not going to have a good weekend.  The only thing that can save us if we get uplifting news about the manure test.  *praying hard*
What a dang roller coaster I've put myself on with these emotions!

Edited by Heidi n Q

Heidi, my stomach just turns with what you are going through right now & really hope the university can fix the problem.  It brings back many memories of the last weeks with Tucker with what you are going through.

40 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

I have to admit I Googled something and it scared me silly.  I'm not going to have a good weekend.  The only thing that can save us if we get uplifting news about the manure test.  *praying hard*
What a dang roller coaster I've put myself on with these emotions!

I have to admit that I am glued to you and Leos updates. I honestly cant help but wonder if whatever is wrong with Leo is the same as what may be ailing my Mr. Butters. I think about you and Leo everyday and have my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Gasp! I just RSVP'd the girls and I to a beginners carriage driving class 20 minutes up the road from us next Sunday....and we've been invited to bring "June"! They would fit her with a harness and let us ground drive her through some cone obstacles. How great of an opportunity would THAT be?!?! Ugggh, I neeeed a truck, or a granddaddy in a good mood that will take us, lol. Cross your fingers guys/gals!

Queen, I used nylon ropes attached to the surcingle and to the tire. Someone would need to lead her to keep her from stepping over the rope. You don't have to use a heavy weight, just something that gives some resistance.

Heidi, stop googling. Bad news travels fast enough. Do something with the other horses to take your mind off of it.

Farah,  I was being silly with the "what kind of bird dog is she?"  because your decorative loon was on the table not eaten up.

QB, you are going to have fun with the driving class.

So at breakfast today hubby & I were talking about the farm house.  One of our staffers will be back from college for a week & he suggested having him come out to start stripping down the interior.  Looks like we will be rebuilding/fixing the farm house.  I just got to get my butt moving & finish the packing up.  Plus on the brightside of things had a letter of inquiry about a position at the motel.

A **** fine Peruvian horse is in Heaven tonight and my heart is aching.

Galileo de Cielo lost his battle today. He was doing so well on Friday but when the vet came in today for his treatment, she could tell he wasn't feeling well. When she inserted the n/g tube into his stomach, pressurized fluid came out of the tube. It smelled rancid and she could tell Leo was uncomfortable.

When I arrived, he was unsteady on his feet. We attempted to load him to bring him home to euth/bury but walking him the sixty feet, we determined he would probably go down during the trip. We euthed him behind my trailer and I went home to trade out my horse trailer for an open utility trailer to bring him home in.

My husband was home from work so he came with me. I laid a blanket in the trailer and we were able to hoist him with a tractor over the side. I covered him with another blanket and we brought him home. I called a neighbor with a backhoe/loader and he came right out and dug a 7' hole in a clearing at the edge of our woods and next to the horse pasture. My friend who lives in our garage apartment noticed what was happening and rushed out to be supportive while the hole was being dug. My husband rigged straps on Leo and the neighbor lifted and laid Leo gently down. I climbed down to cover him with a blanket and sheet from my bed before the dirt was pushed back in.

I can't believe we fought this for 6wks and didn't win. I didn't wait, I called the vet out right away and they worked so hard. Leo tried so hard. It hurts to know I won't hear his nose-flutter again.

Vet is thinking intestinal lymphoma based on how his symptoms presented, progressed and then how quickly he declined. We don't know for sure. Our only hope for answers is with the PCR fecal test results, due back from UGA this week.

Thank you, everyone who followed along and sent wishes, prayers, good thoughts, strength and energy our way.  I appreciate them more than you could know.

aad.jpg

Heidi,  

Sorry for the loss of Leo,  I know it leaves you with a hole in your heart, it is never easy putting a horse down.  Take comfort in knowing you did everything you could do for him, & Leo knew he was loved while he was here. I want to wish you the very best aqt this time.  Take Care & God Bless.  PD

2 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

PD I waved hi as we drove through your stomping grounds on the way to Oshkosh.

RRW,  

That was nice, did you see wave bacK???  I was standing outside at the time, I thought I heard something like train go by, but it wasn't on any rail road tracks!!   I like your dogs, & the  that yellow thing may have power,  but the dogs make the picture.  PD

Actually it is a center cab switch engine built by GE.  This one is kind cool in that it can be operated by remote control.

It is far from being the sexiest locomotive in the rail yard.

RRW,  That yellow engine, may not be the wave of your rail yard, but undoubtedly,  it will get more attention than you might expect,  as it will definitely be one of a kind, & that will get peoples attention.  Love your picture of shortman, he has awesome sense of humor, that will give you great memories & leave a smile when you are older, & many more new one along the way.   Best Wishes.  PD