spanish_walkin_wannabe

The Front Porch

419 posts in this topic

Everyone must be busy! Really nice weather except it is so dry.

I spent the morning roasting more peppers. Filled 5 quart bags.

My sister finally left Florida last night at 10. They have a condo on the water just south of Tampa. They were in bumper to bumper traffic until Atlanta. Gas was a problem and rest areas were over filled. They have a home in Illinois to go to. This is their first experience with evacuation. Next time they will leave sooner.

My brother is being released from the hospital today. He is still in bad shape.

I'm going to go out and trim the yard up. I know I will blow up a dust storm!

Danyel,   Glad your sister made it out of Florida sefely,  I feel for those that are trying to get out, but may get stuck in the path of Irma.  Mother nature's force can be a wicked  to deal with.  Just got my wife out of hospital, she was there 2 days, her doctor gave her grocery list, instead of a bunch of pills to help her keep her potassium level up, & a list of foods to avoid. So we'll see if it helps.   Later.  PD

I guess I have a hard time understanding why everyone waits til the last minute to evacuate, knowing everyone ELSE is also waiting til they HAVE to get out. I have a cousin in Jacksonville, who is refusing to leave. He has an 18 month old Down's syndrome daughter with heart issues, and is staying in his house with her, because he doesn't want to evacuate his ELEVEN cats. 

Another cousin from Coco Beach, and her sister from Jacksonville, as well as their brother & sister in Charleston SC, (And all tehir kids/grandkids) are already evacuated to Nashville TN with the 5th sibling. Nobody knows where another cousin from Key West is, (Her brother is the one in Jax staying), but she & her husband spend a lot of time in Japan on business. You'd think she would check in with her dad, my uncle, & just let him know she's okay. 

I was bored and looked at the radar worldwide, & it's eerie how there is a little rain in France, a blob in Australia, and a couple scattered showers in the USA. That storm in the gulf barely shows up, and Irma doesn't look that bad from space, so IDK where they're getting these satellite images. Doesn't look NEAR as bad as those pics show. :questionicon:

Thanks PD. I tried to tell her to leave a couple days ago. Her neighbors above them are staying. That maybe a real bad mistake.

PD, hope your wife gets to feeling better. 

Edited by Danyel

Heard from my sister. It took them 19 1/2 hours to get home. Usually a trip less than 12. I bet they leave sooner next time. She said it was so sunny and nice, she waited until it was mandatory for evacuation.

Gonna have to go back and read posts to catch up.

Im currently sitting in my car waiting for the doors to open to a live theater performance of Rocky Horror Picture Show where I will be sitting front row! Im excited, this production group is fantastic. Tomorrow Im gonna ride and let the girls ride and then Im gonna take the girls to the rodeo. Its the last rodeo of the year. Sunday Im gonna catch up on the pile of dishes in my sink and then that night Im going to the drive in theater to watch "It". Full fun weekend planned here. 

I crocheted a little dress for my friends little teeny baby who is doing great. And I crocheted a diaper cover for another friends baby.

20170906_213855.jpg

20170908_130916.jpg

My horse is home. I put up a fence out at my dad's house and he is happily munching down the pasture. I am paying a talented young lady to come out and trail ride him a few days a week for the next two months. I want him to have some down time but still get some relaxing work in until it gets too nasty to ride outside. She is lookinging forward to having some spending cash since being a college student isn't very lucrative. He did loose about 50 lbs at training. Maybe he picked up worms or something. He was not due for a worming for another week but just went ahead and wormed him today. 

My dad just loves him to pieces. He just can't get over how quiet he is for 3 years old and how he let's the grandkids touch all over his head "supervised of course". 

Now to start the shelter. 

TL,Hope the the young lady does well with your gelding, & that you will have a chance to get out & enjoy the fall color on him. Glad your dad enjoys having your horse around, but you know us dads have a soft spot for our little girls. My youngest turned 39, the other day, where do the years go.  Best Wishes. PD

3 hours ago, Proud Dad said:

TL,Hope the the young lady does well with your gelding, & that you will have a chance to get out & enjoy the fall color on him. Glad your dad enjoys having your horse around, but you know us dads have a soft spot for our little girls. My youngest turned 39, the other day, where do the years go.  Best Wishes. PD

Thanks PD, my dad has a soft spot for animals and has loved horses since he was young. I would not even have gotten into horses had he not gotten me a pony even I was five lol. I would not be surprised to go out there and find him riding my horse around lol. I will be riding my gelding here and there too, but I am also working on getting his shelter built and I only have a couple of hours each day:(

My dad actually asked if I could teach him to drive so he could get a buggy lol. 

Edited by TigerLilly

Prepared for Irma.  

We moved all outdoor furniture into the shop, parked vehicles in the garage and shop and tied down all stacks of lumber and anything light enough for winds to pick up.  My back entry looks abandoned without our furniture and shoes.  Fridge and freezer are stocked, case of drinking water in the laundry room, the horses' water tub filled to the top, fuel for the generator and the house is clean.  We're ready.

I wish those in Irma's path, The Very Best,  &   His Strength & Guidance. . . PD

Hope everyone made it through the storm in Florida and that those who are still in the path are ready, like Heidi!

My friend who is living in our garage apartment came home because there was a downed tree blocking the road on her way to work.  As she went past our house to go the other way, she encountered another partially down and her work contacted her and told her she didn't need to come in.  She turns back to come home and less than 10min later, husband and I notice a tree down in the road in front of our house.  (our power had been out for 30min by this time)

Image may contain: tree, grass, plant, sky, outdoor and nature

As the husband and I are standing in the dining room and looking out the windows, we see a couple trucks come up to the tree, slow, maybe stop, then go around it by driving in the ditch in our yard.  I start telling the husband we need to move that tree before someone tears up our yard.  I no sooner finish saying this and a truck comes bombing over the rise of the road (we're inside, cringing and saying brakes/stop out loud) slows when it sees the tree, then *accelerates into* our ditch to go around the tree ...... and hits the culvert and launches the front of his truck 18" into the air!

Image may contain: grass, tree, plant, sky, outdoor and nature

So we got the tractor and he moved the tree out of the road.

Image may contain: tree, grass, outdoor and nature

I heard from my boss about 2hrs ago and the library is closed tomorrow, too.

Your lucky.  That's a baby tree.  Stay safe.

Kept busy all day. Getting some deep cleaning done in the rooms.  If it is quiet might as well strip down the rooms.

Heidi, you must have had some high winds. I hope Irma clears your area soon.

My sister just called and said there was little damage at their place in Florida. A neighbor got in the area this evening and let her know. There won't be any electricity for a while. They plan on staying in Illinois for a few weeks.

Trying to get my butt back to the gym 4 days a week. With all the mowing this Summer it was hard to find the energy!

Need to go let the dogs in. Everyone have a great evening.

Yeah, the winds were 30-40 with gusts to 50-60.  And that was a dead tree that shattered when it hit the pavement.  What is fun, is there are 2-4 more dead ones right next to where that one fell from.  A couple HUGE ones, oaks about 4' in diameter, fell on a man's shed and squished it just up the road from us.  Power was out for a few hours but came back on before the 3hr mark.

I'm glad most people did okay but my heart goes out to those who have suffered loss due to the storm.

I think we've heard from all family members from Fl & SC. Crazy cousin with the 11 cats and the little girl with heart issues checked in... he's still an idiot, but, whaddya do. :crazy:

Week 3 of school, and the Back to School Cootie Crud has hit us. Yuck.  New school, new germs. 

Mom has decided she's throwing me a b day party, since she hasn't gotten to have one for me since I was 16.  (She came out for my 40th, but we didn't have a "party". ) 

If she gets cone hats for the chickens, I'm gonna cry, lol!

42 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

Red don't tell her you can get chix diapers.  She'd have them in the house.

Lol, too late!  I let her get 6 banties from TSC a few months ago. They supposed to be pullets so I figured with our luck we would get a roo or two.

5 of 6 are roosters and They are funny as HECK ! 

2 are black rose combs, very pretty boys. 2 are black regular combs, vibrant colors, but not as fancy looking.

Then we have Red. He's hilarious! Now, he was raised with the others, they're  all anout 6 months old. have not heard Red crow yet, only reason i know he's a boy is his feathers are pointy roo feathers, and he had one of the girls by the neck feathers.... while he bred the board she was standing next to. :rotf:

He picked a fight with one of the others, and they were so all about fighting and jumping over each other, i walked right up to them, scooped them up and took them inside. cats weren't impressed. Mom thought it was hilarious and mentioned  diapers.

20170908_193808.jpg

20170909_130000-1.jpg

20170909_130005-1.jpg

20170909_130004-1.jpg

Edited by redneckcowgirlmn
because my phone autocorrects words to klingon or something.

On 9/11/2017 at 2:44 PM, redneckcowgirlmn said:

Queen, I wish I could comprehend crochet beyond a 35 foot long, 9 inch wide afghan. :crazy: 

If I can do it, you can too! Theres a youtube video for everything nowadays. Once youre able to read patterns its pretty fun/neat...and then you learn to alter patterns to your liking. Im no pro and I actually crochet "backwards" or left handed as they call it...so there are some stitches that I cant do. Try something simple/easy...search youtube for a beginners video. You can do it!

Glad to see everyone is ok. I have the next 3 days off and tomorrow my brother is coming over with his kids 5 and 2. I am SO excited! They live in the city, so we're going fishing and introducing them to the horses. I cant wait! The oldest has been begging to come over and go fishing with me for weeks now!

On 9/12/2017 at 8:52 PM, QueenBAW said:

If I can do it, you can too! Theres a youtube video for everything nowadays. Once youre able to read patterns its pretty fun/neat...and then you learn to alter patterns to your liking. Im no pro and I actually crochet "backwards" or left handed as they call it...so there are some stitches that I cant do. Try something simple/easy...search youtube for a beginners video. You can do it!

I saw a pattern/throw that I really liked, and attempted it last week here at work between trucks. Looks like a funky hay net. Just a minute, I'll edit in a pic. 

20170914_074726.jpg

Edited by redneckcowgirlmn

21 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

The shape right now reminds me of a rose.

The throw that I saw was really pretty, it was big, round, (flat!!!) a lot more even than mine, but she had it over a white quilt on her bed, and it was just really pretty. Maybe I'll get better at it by the time I get this closer to that size. I had to undo some and figure out how to add in, because it seriously started wadding up, lol! Like a mini mini hay net or something. :crazy:

2 hours ago, redneckcowgirlmn said:

.... she had it over a white quilt on her bed, and it was just really pretty. 

You are right, I can imagine the dark yarns over a light fabric and imagine how stunning that would be.

9 hours ago, redneckcowgirlmn said:

I saw a pattern/throw that I really liked, and attempted it last week here at work between trucks. Looks like a funky hay net. Just a minute, I'll edit in a pic. 

20170914_074726.jpg

Those meshy type patterns are hard to get just right. Dont give up though!