Just back from vet check for Zeke.  It was supposed to be his second shots because he starts puppy class Tuesday.  New vet, very opinionated.  I think I own socks older than her.   Breeder, who has bred dogs for 30 years, told me to feed Proplan All Stages Sport.  It has puppies written on the label.  GSDs are in danger of growing too big too fast.  Vet told me to switch to the puppy formula.  She said Proplan was good, but pushed the Hills prescription nonesense.  Called Purina.  They said stay on Sport because he is a working dog and it's formulated for puppies, too.  I'm going with the breeder's recommendation.  As if it isn't hard enough to figure out dog foods!  

I have to go back next week.  She wants more time between vaccines.  It's been two weeks since his first shots.  She thinks three weeks is better.  She might have that right.  

Edited by little cow

i cannot stand having a vet push their office brand of pet food on me.  Don't used-car-salesman me!

I've had vet clinics lose my business because they are overly pushy & will not listen.  

I usually don't feed puppy food.  Go straight to adult as I had a friend who was getting her huskies from a top breeder & they started on adult as is promoted slower growth in the dog.  We never had a problem with our dogs going all adult. George was probably the only one I kept on puppy & found that he pooped way more than any pup I had.  Once he was on adult he became much more regular.

Smile & nod your head, feed the brand you want to.

I quit a vet because her secretary, or whatever her position was, kept after me about keeping the cat in the house. I told her the cat had a job--killing mice-- and I didn't have mice in my house. But there were plenty in my barn. I don't how she is working in a farm area  with that mindset.

I ordered a hammock (with a stand) from Walmart a couple days ago and it wasnt scheduled to be delivered til the 19th which was fine. I wasnt in any hurry for it. Well, it came Thursday! So now in my front yard oasis I have my garden, my tiny grill, my firepit, and now a hammock. Took pics for yall...

The theater group that I frequent is doing "Cabaret" this month. I went last night, and it was phenomenal! The set was gorgeous, the acting was terrific, the band/orchestra was beautiful. I loved it. So glad my brother got me a season pass cause Im going to see it again soon. Got pics for ya!

20190412_101011.jpg

20190412_101041.jpg

20190412_101035.jpg

20190408_143012.jpg

20190408_102338.jpg

20190412_190652.jpg

20190412_215451.jpg

20190412_214906.jpg

QB so who are you going to have video you the first time you get out of your new swing bed?  You will really enjoy the fire pit.  We have a lp fire stand we love to use in the summer.   That was a cool way they designed the stage for the performance.

20 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

QB so who are you going to have video you the first time you get out of your new swing bed?  You will really enjoy the fire pit.  We have a lp fire stand we love to use in the summer.   That was a cool way they designed the stage for the performance.

Ive already been in the hammock, had to test it out ya know lol. Ive had the firepit going too, its nice. Havent had time to fire up the grill but Im off 3 consecutive days this week so Im sure Ill get it going.

Really wish I hadve gotten pics of the cast. They always seem to cast parts so perfectly.

Is that the set for Cabaret or is that the permanent stage?  Really cute!

I have that same fire pit, only mine is stored under the deck and is now rust color.

You know, you're going to have to move all those flower pots every time you mow the grass.

I hired someone to cut the grass this year for the first time in my life. It's wonderful!  I still have to do the pastures and barn lot,  but that isn't weekly and  all the trimming.

11 minutes ago, jubal said:

Is that the set for Cabaret or is that the permanent stage?  Really cute!

I have that same fire pit, only mine is stored under the deck and is now rust color.

You know, you're going to have to move all those flower pots every time you mow the grass.

I hired someone to cut the grass this year for the first time in my life. It's wonderful!  I still have to do the pastures and barn lot,  but that isn't weekly and  all the trimming.

They actually change the set/stage for each production. It was not like that for Sweeney Todd. The work they do just on the sets(s) alone is pretty fantastic.

My grass in that area doesnt grow much anyway, and I pay my neighbor to cut it. He cut it just the other day. Im good with him just mowing around it. My whole place used to be a parking lot years ago, so I dont have dirt. I have crush and run instead. Ill have to take a pic of the yard when it needs mowed, you can see literal stripes where the straw was put out for the grass to grow lol.

My hubby thought he found the perfect Mothers Day gift one year.  Hired a guy who contracts lawn mowing.  Well needless to say he cut it once then said he couldn't do it anymore.  We have a huge amount we cut at the farm & the guy came out looked at the job, quoted his rate.  Informed hubby the best gift he could give is taking in my zero turn 2x year for service.

Sadly now that I  am not at the farm hubby mows.  That mower goes in more than twice a season to be fixed.  I have no clue & don't want to know how he is running the mower to have so many problems.  If we were home to do lawn work together he is given the gas trimmer & I mow.  However, when he has the trimmer he never goes around the buildings but cuts in the tree line & down to the river.  I do my best not to watch.

My yard is only about an acre but it has board fence around half of it. And the fence also has no climb wire so you have to trim on both sides of the fence. A pain. I thought he was only going to do the fence line but he did everything. I'm just so excited! It's like getting out of school!

Grass cutters around here are used to cutting huge yards. The silly people have five acre, or more, lawns. I say get some animals!

Problem with lots of property is drawing the line on where you stop mowing.  There is some old field that can constitute yard at home & I would mow it 1 or 2x a month just to keep it knocked down.  If we ever get to the point of being able to take down the outbuildings I'm in trouble with defining the mowing line.  

Queen, that hammock looks lovely!  We would need a shade tree over it down here, though. 

We have local plays, but I'm not sure they are that good.  Maybe we should give it a try.   I think they are doing a musical right now.  The boys HATE musicals.  I'll have to wait to see what they do next.  

7 hours ago, little cow said:

Queen, that hammock looks lovely!  We would need a shade tree over it down here, though. 

We have local plays, but I'm not sure they are that good.  Maybe we should give it a try.   I think they are doing a musical right now.  The boys HATE musicals.  I'll have to wait to see what they do next.  

I do have some shady spots in the yard that Ill eventually move it to. The best thing about this hammock is the the frame and the fact its portable. I spent an hour in it this morning but its very windy today and the wind is chilly so I came inside. Check out your local plays, they may have a few you'll like!

Okay, so we're in the northern part of the hangy down state.  You know, where people come when they get cold up north.  It's April and in the 40s right now.  It will warm up today into the 70s, but still, this is weird.  

LC that I'm guessing is below average.

The weather has been wonky.  Today we are to have 64 & in two days projected high of 40 with wintery mix.  Looked at the guess of temps into next month.  Not supposed to have anything above 60.  

We are already at moderate fire danger. Then again that's nothing new.

With it being so nice out I'll work on leaf blowing.  Yes it is early for yard work but the motel has a lot of green space.  

You'd have no trouble with leaf blowing here today. Just get them off the ground and the wind would take care of the rest. The last time I worked outside on a windy day like this, I got bronchitis that lasted six weeks. So, I'm going to the grocery.

Usually I rake leaves on windy days to help move the process along.

Haven't started the yard work as I road to Rice Lake with hubby to get supplies.  Will stop & feed the ponies then get inside de work done.  Once it is done then can go outside.

If it stays dry tomorrow just might tackle the ponies.  They need another brushing

As of yesterday, still no foal #2

Foal #1 has left his mom and has joined the herd. I watched him for about an hour yesterday and he spends a lot of time with Margarita, his sister.

20190415_192146.jpg

That poor mare.  She looks absolutely miserable.

So blowing the pine needles is a slow process, however, much easier on the body then having to rake.  Dogs are pooped out from being outside.  Odie gets tied to this little flat cart thing that has itty bitty  wheels with the 10ft leash.  The cart gives enough drag that he can easily get around but not go far very fast.  Gives freedom but keeps him where he belongs.

That's strange, NP. I wonder how that adaptation came about.

RRW, you need a yard rake to pull behind a rider. Or maybe Odie could pull it.

Leaf blowing?  I would think all your fall leaves are soggy after all that winter snow.  Must make it harder to get rid of them.  

That little mare needs to sign an eviction notice, lol!

I am very proud of LJ.  His class is doing a field trip to Marineland.  I didn't know what type of park it was because they only do groups.  So, LJ and I did some internet research when we got home yesterday.  Well, it's one of those really bad aquariums.  Worse than Seaworld, which we don't go to anyway.  They have shallow tanks where people can get in the water and touch dolphins.  They have lost 5 out of 14 dolphins in a three year period.  We found out that dolphins live 40 years in the wild, on average, compared to only a 5 year lifespan in captivity.  

LJ was really worried after reading about dolphins, so he looked up stingrays.  He loved interacting with stingrays at another aquarium.  Apparently, stingrays and sea lions do okay in captivity because they are shore based and spend most of their days in shallow water.   Studies show that stingrays actually enjoy the interactions with people and don't suffer any harm from it.  

LJ had a great time last year at Clearwater Aquarium, but they rescue, rehabilitate, and release, so it's very different than this place.  The only dolphins they have are Winter, (with a prosthetic tail) and another with an injury that makes release impossible.  Orcas and dolphins suffer greatly in fish tanks.  I told LJ that if he still wanted to go, so he could hang out with his friends, it would be up to him.  He firmly said "no".  He is boycotting the field trip.  I let his grandparents know and they are very proud of him, too.  Always stand up for the weak and those without a voice.  That's we taught him.  

I let a few other parents know and invited their kids with us for our alternate trip that day.  Hopefully, more parents and kids will boycott the field trip.  Maybe his school will rethink the trip altogether.  This park has been around a long time and has almost gone out of business many times before.  The company also owns Georgia Aquarium, where some beluga whales died after being captured in the wild and imported from Russia.  Marineland actively recruits local schools to come to their park at discount group rates.  I think there is one up north in Ontario, Canada.  They don't seem to have a good reputation either.  

Edited by little cow

2 hours ago, jubal said:

That's strange, NP. I wonder how that adaptation came about.

RRW, you need a yard rake to pull behind a rider. Or maybe Odie could pull it.

Stallions just tend to be bolder

LC, where there are leave it is wet because the area doesn't get sun or wind they will still move with the blower.  It does help to blow as you will find packed ice/snow under the pine & leave.  So it just helps thing dry out faster.  I'll post a pic of the area I am working on & a general pic of the back of motel.  Lots of green space.

So today I am a gluten for punishment.  Going to go bush the hair ball ponies this morning.  As always it will be a hairy scary job.

First pic is where I have already started.  Can see the piles.  Second is of the RV park in back.  It has 20 sites & after this year it will be closed.  Just doesn't pay for itself & the customer base is one I don't want to deal with.

Behind that distant row of four pine trees are the ponds for the fish hatchery.  During the summer you can see the water & eagles will fly over once in a while.  

IMG_20190417_082320.jpg

IMG_20190417_082333.jpg

47 minutes ago, noponies said:

Stallions just tend to be bolder

But horse foals don't leave their mothers and pair up with another horse that soon.

C'mon, RRW, dish about the RV clientele. I've always wondered since they seem to be sort of clannish.