Sooo, Im a little peeved. Remember those two 4H cows that the landlord let come take over the paddock months ago? Well, one of them mounted me yesterday evening. Yep, its ok to laugh and Im bruised up but otherwise fine. But, if I had been one of the kids, I probably wouldnt have been fine. I went out yesterday evening to bring the horses in to be fed and found that the 4H cows had been put in the pasture with the horses. The landlord has apparently rotated fields with his cows and put them in the field where the 4H cows were. So the 4H cows owner moved her cows into the field with the horses, cause god forbid her cows be out with other cows. So on my walk to bring in my horses, the 4H cows kept mooing at me and came up to me. I gave them a few pats, took a selfie with the boy cow who is usually stand offish. Bent down to take a selfie with the other one, and up she reared. I couldnt stand all the way up in time and ended up deciding quickly to throw myself on the ground and roll away from her as she landed so I would escape her crushing weight ontop of me. It worked but I did get stepped on. Later I posted the selfie of the boy cow and I on Facebook, and the owner commented. I commented back that Florina had jumped ontop of me. Her response was that Florina is hormonal right now. YA THINK?! WHY WHY WHY would you put your hormonal 1200lb animal in a pasture where you KNOW kids go in and out of, sometimes with no adult supervision?!?!?! I just dont get it. Im not upset that I got bruised up, but Im worried about the kids going in there. Im going to talk with my landlord on my next day off, but he may just laugh and blow me off.

Can you take a buggy whip or plastic shovel to whap the cow?  Its the whole extend-a-arm program & maybe teach her to mind her manors.  Its a good thing you didn't get hurt & it is a great way for the cow to find herself in the freezer.

Todays adventure was having a slight accumulation of snow with with the rain that was coming down all day.  

19 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

Can you take a buggy whip or plastic shovel to whap the cow?  Its the whole extend-a-arm program & maybe teach her to mind her manors.  Its a good thing you didn't get hurt & it is a great way for the cow to find herself in the freezer.

Todays adventure was having a slight accumulation of snow with with the rain that was coming down all day.  

I was thinking about taking a whip in with me, not sure how effective it will be but Im gonna try it. Anything is better than nothing. I wont pay them any attention either. Shes supposed to go in the freezer, that was the plan when they were first brought there anyway. Who knows what the plan is now. 

7 minutes ago, noponies said:

Aggressive cows can kill people. Please be careful.

Yes! She couldve crushed me. The situation couldve gone very differently many ways. I hope my landlord takes it seriously.

Cows mount each other when they are in heat or other cows are in heat.  Good news is that heat cycles don't last longer than 24 hours.  She will probably not do that again to anyone for another 28 days (unless they are giving her steroids??).  When you handle 4H cows, you have to make sure they know you are not a cow.  Best thing is to tell the kids not to bend over or put their backs to the cows and carry a stick.  A short stick will do it.  One smack on the sensitive nose if they invade your personal space.  Buggy whip would work, but you have to be a bit animated with cows, so you're likely to scare the horses off, too.

Edited by little cow

2 hours ago, little cow said:

Cows mount each other when they are in heat or other cows are in heat.  Good news is that heat cycles don't last longer than 24 hours.  She will probably not do that again to anyone for another 28 days (unless they are giving her steroids??).  When you handle 4H cows, you have to make sure they know you are not a cow.  Best thing is to tell the kids not to bend over or put their backs to the cows and carry a stick.  A short stick will do it.  One smack on the sensitive nose if they invade your personal space.  Buggy whip would work, but you have to be a bit animated with cows, so you're likely to scare the horses off, too.

Im under the impression from the owner that this cow has been hormonal longer than 24 hours. Also the cows are friendly and come to you, and the kids know that and arent scared of them. Some of the kids are small so they wouldnt even need to bend down. Im calling my landlord soon. I think Im more peeved about the owners lack of thought/responsibility, although if that cow had gotten one of the kids the way it got me Im not sure what shape the kid would be in. 

Is this "cow owner" involved with kids in 4-H? She doesn't sound like anyone who should be trusted with kids' welfare.

1 hour ago, jubal said:

Is this "cow owner" involved with kids in 4-H? She doesn't sound like anyone who should be trusted with kids' welfare.

Her kids are in 4H but her kids are high school aged and huge. They used to come daily and work with their cows but that didnt last long at all. Now I think they come once a week just to throw some grain at them. Shes a vet tech.

11 minutes ago, jubal said:

Maybe you should mention she could be sued if her cows hurt someone.

If I hadve been hurt to the point I wouldve had to miss work or make a ED visit you best beleive I wouldve made her pay.

4H kids aren't allowed to handle steers or cows until they reach high school.  The 4H leader doesn't have a clue.  My cows are friendly, too, but they are also respectful, but, we raise our cattle without hormones, so it's a non-issue with us. 

If she is hormonal longer than 24 hours (estrus is only 12 hours), they are using steroids. 

I have seen cows mount high their 4H handlers before when we had our cows at the local fair.  I have heard people brag about how much they bulk their cows up by exceeding the limits on steroids.  It sounds like this is a bigger problem than just my area.  One did it during the show!  If the leaders stopped overuse of steroids, that won't happen and the kids would be safer.  

This is why I have never bid on a 4H animal.  There are strict regulations regarding the use of steroids in the beef industry.  4H leaders tend to use too many steroids to get the animals to make weight.  Never eat fair beef, lol!

When is your fair?  Hopefully soon and the problem will go away.....

Edited by little cow

15 minutes ago, little cow said:

4H kids aren't allowed to handle steers or cows until they reach high school.  The 4H leader doesn't have a clue.  My cows are friendly, too, but they are also respectful, but, we raise our cattle without hormones, so it's a non-issue with us. 

If she is hormonal longer than 24 hours (estrus is only 12 hours), they are using steroids. 

I have seen cows mount high their 4H handlers before when we had our cows at the local fair.  I have heard people brag about how much they bulk their cows up by exceeding the limits on steroids.  It sounds like this is a bigger problem than just my area.  One did it during the show!  If the leaders stopped overuse of steroids, that won't happen and the kids would be safer.  

This is why I have never bid on a 4H animal.  There are strict regulations regarding the use of steroids in the beef industry.  4H leaders tend to use too many steroids to get the animals to make weight.  Never eat fair beef, lol!

When is your fair?  Hopefully soon and the problem will go away.....

The kids/handlers are high school aged. They rarely come out to do anything with their cows anymore so I doubt theyre using steroids. The hormonal cow is actually a heffer. Fair dates vary here but Im definitely going to inquire when theyll be leaving. In the meantime Im looking into other boarding options. Ive found Sonic a place for $150 a month. I just gotta figure out what to do with the other 2. 

Cutting my nose off to spite my face? I dont know, Im not sure. Ive found a spot for Sonic. I'm working on what to do/where to put Mr. Butters and the half blind Appy. If I pull my horses out of the landlords place I wont have to deal with the farrier, or minis, or hormonal cow, or renter that harasses me, or the crap hay in the winter, or whatever issue it is for the month. Ill actually be able to ride my horse. But....with the landlords place also goes the cowgirls. I wont be able to give kids the opportunity to be around horses.

Don't do anything right away. Think about it. You're still mad (with good reason.) And those little girls would sure miss you.

By the way, did Mr. Butters ever gain weight?

2 hours ago, QueenBAW said:

Aaaand the landlord thinks its funny and blew me off. Awesome.

Maybe you should mention to him HE could be sued if the cow hurt somebody.

1 hour ago, jubal said:

Maybe you should mention to him HE could be sued if the cow hurt somebody.

If I sued him, Id be evicted. Who else would sue him? Everyone else down there is related.

1 hour ago, jubal said:

Don't do anything right away. Think about it. You're still mad (with good reason.) And those little girls would sure miss you.

Been meaning to update you all on Mr. Butters. He is gaining weight. Still looks a wreck to me but hes gaining. His topline is still crap while hes gaining weight in his belly. I have him on Triple Crown Senior and Fat Cat, soaked just to make it all mush. He happily laps it all up. Not sure exactly what Im gonna do with him if I decide to leave the landlords place.

1 hour ago, jubal said:

I would miss the girls terribly. But at the same time Id get to actually ride Sonic.

The steroids are implants givens under the skin.  Looks like behind the ear.  I don't know much about it since I've never used them, but the 4H and FFA leaders do the injections.  I remember a leader bragging about doubling or tripling the implants for faster growth. 

Here's a link:

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/product-safety-information/steroid-hormone-implants-used-growth-food-producing-animals

And another.  This one suggests 100 and 200 day intervals between implants, so you wouldn't see anybody do it.

N-643_web.pdf

Edited by little cow

If you want more info, look up buller syndrome.  It's issue in feedlots from use of anabolic steroids (same implants).

So, these could be nice animals, but their hormones are amped up through implants and they act like steroid using football players.  You should probably catch the horses and minis for the girls and carry a short stick to thwack the cattle on the top of their wet, puppy dog noses, if they invade your personal space.  

Edited by little cow

That's why we raise our own beef.  You can buy hormone free beef at the grocery store, though.  Grass fed is usually hormone free, but you have to check the label.

Edited by little cow

Hey all. Im kind of in a bad place right now. I dont know if I mentioned earlier (months) on this thread that I had reconnected (as friends) with a guy from high school via Facebook. He was a great guy in high school. We had phone conversations almost every day. I ended up breaking that off and telling him not to contact me anymore because he became very clingy, needy, and forward very quickly. He didn't take that well and I had to block him on Facebook as well as block his number from my phone. Although his number was blocked on my phone, for some weird reason he was still able to leave voicemail messages. He had finally left me alone for a month or so, but then started back a few weeks ago. He left voicemails apologizing and asking to start over, and for me to call him back. I never returned his call. Two weeks ago he made a new Facebook page and sent me a friend request, I declined. Friday afternoon he left a voicemail asking me to please give him a call. Saturday, he shot and killed himself. I can not help to think that I was part of the reason he killed himself. If I hadve just returned his call...I feel like a horrible horrible person. 

You are NOT a horrible person.  You were friendly and kind to him.  When his behavior escalated and you were not prepared for that level of intimacy in a friendship relationship, you backed off and asked him nicely to give you space.  He didn't respect your wishes and continued to push which forced you to create barriers to protect yourself.  While reading along, I was thinking your next step would have been a TPO with law enforcement.

No one is responsible for any other person's behavior or actions.  I'm very sorry, but your HS friend had deeper issues than you would have been able to fix, or even mitigate in the slightest.  Had you returned his call, I truly feel in my heart, that he would have continued his clingy and needy behavior and driven you away more firmly.  I also feel that contacting him would only have delayed the inevitable - because you still wouldn't have known the cause of his depression, and without professional intervention, his behavioral course was set.  

I'm sorry you are feeling so badly over this.  Please try not to let it affect you too deeply.  I truly feel there is nothing you could have done differently to prevent this from happening.  Take care of yourself as you process this.  Do you think maybe speaking with a counselor could help you through this?