Home after a bad evening. 

I went to let the girls ride. Saddled their horses and off they went all by themselves. Emmys dad came over and chatted with me while the girls rode. The girls grandma came outside yelling and crying and fell to the ground. By this time the girls has gotten back from their ride. Emmys dad went to see what was wrong with his mom. I knew right away. Just a gut feeling. Remember my "landlady"...Cassies mom? Her boyfriend killed her this evening. From what I understand he hit her with the car. I gathered the kids and took them out for pizza for dinner. They didnt need to know what had happened nor be around at that time. Plus Emmys dad was in no shape to have to deal with his kids ontop of learning of his sisters death. The kids were good, clueless about what had happened, and ate all the pizza their bellies could hold. I got them home a little after 9 and started their baths. I did get to see Cassie and her brother and they came to me for a hug. I dont think Ive ever squeezed a couple kids so tight. I kissed them and told them I love them. I feel horrible for them.

I dont know what to do for all of the family today. I know how they feel having lost my brother months ago. Ive offered to do anything they need, even come get the kids so the adults can have some time. I feel like I should be doing something but I dont know what.

If they know they can call on you, that's enough. It's kind of a custom in the South to make a casserole or some kind of food and take it to the family, but I'd wait awhile. They're still dealing with shock and arrangements . They probably have to deal with law enforcement too.

OMG.  I just can't imagine what everyone is going through.  Thank Heavens the kids have you to turn to and that you are there for them and their family.  I agree with distracting the kids with activities they enjoy - be prepared for them to feel conflicted about enjoying things while they are going through something so difficult.

I ended up spending the day helping run errands. My landlord is pretty torn up. I cant stand to see that man cry. The kids are dealing well. Im back to work tomorrow but have told them that Id be happy to call in sick if they need me.

.....  I'm sitting in  my truck, backed into a hay barn, while my husband and the property owner load 100 bales of hay into the trailer. It looks like good grass hay, no weeds, it's a Timothy/orchard mix......we just drove 4 hours to get it....lol....

Edited by equicrzy

The hubby and I are heading to Sears today to check out what they have left in their store closing sale. We're picking up tools and such for the future farm. We close next month and I cannot contain my excitement for much longer!!

Reading through the last couple of pages of this topic, I'm so thankful we didn't move to Houston like we were supposed to! His coworkers have sent us oodles of videos and pictures of their homes flooded. It's devastating. We were supposed to move to Houston on August 1st, but were delayed. Then this farm came up for sale, and we had to have it...I thank my lucky stars that things turned out this way for us.

QueenBAW, I cannot fathom what happens to make a person so messed up in the head. The family is so fortunate to have you helping out! I feel for those kids :(

I am puttering out.  Been working hard getting rooms changed over.  Just have 3 left.  Doesn't seem like much but have already done 5 complete then the 5 stayovers.  Bright side for the afternoon was they stay over contracts gave me lunch.  They have been cooking in their room & mentioned how delicious it smelt.  Well members later he brings me a plate.  Oh boy what a yummy treat.

Hubby & Shortman went North to ride the steam train.  Hubby want it to be a family day but had to many rooms to leave for another day.

When they get back maybe we will go to Rice Lake.  I had ordered a ninja pattern so have to get material.  Shortman wants to go as the green ninja this year.  I'll keep making costumes for him as long as I can.

RRW,  We traveled through your area yesterday, coming back from a short road trip to Lake Superior, My wife felt up to getting away, & Bayfield  is where she wanted to go. Pretty area, a nice place to visit,  but still there is no place like home.

bluecreek,  I'm sure there are people that love Houston, even through they have to put flooding from weather conditions now & then. Good thing we don't all like living the same place, or it might get kind of crowded. I hope this farm you & husband are buying, is everything you dreamed of.  My wife & I bought a house in the middle of a 40 acre woods 40 years ago, no out buildings, now I have a barn & 2 other buildings for storage & runin for 3 horses, & 5-7 acres cleared off for pasture. But most of all, I wanted our daughters to grow up knowing only one home, they are now 39 & 42. Don't know where the years went, but most have been good years.  Best Wishes. PD

Nice, very quiet day here. It has rained lightly off and on all day. Yesterday it was 90's, today 60 & 70's. We haven't had rain in 3 weeks.

I took advantage of the rainy day and read a lot! Needed a day of rest.

Looking forward to seeing the first episode of Ken Burns "Vietnam" tonight. I was in high school when my brother was injured in Vietnam. He had a hard life after and passed away 20 years ago. That is one subject he wouldn't talk about.

Everyone have a great evening. I need to see what the dogs are barking at!

PD, You're 100% right. My intent wasn't to say that Houston is bad. I meant that I feel for the people living there. I know the vast majority of people wouldn't want to live in the middle of nowhere like I do. Heck, even my husband isn't so sure he wants to be so far out :rotf: I have the same goal as you: I want my kids to grow up in one home only.

Heidi, agreed. I'm a total cat person, but sometimes I wish they were more like dogs and stayed put when ya tell 'em to!

Danyel,  How was the Ken Burns Vietnam program?  I was in Vietnam 50 years ago, & it was a different experience for everybody. Any time you are in a combat zone, things happen, that you prefer to forget, & some you can't forget. 

Heidi, I feed several feral cats, & have one tame one, he doesn't mind if I use a powder form of flea killer on him, but not sure how effective it is. Can't get close enough to the others to do anything. But they don't run as far or as fast as they use to.

blue creek, Both my wife & I grew up in the country, so after living a brief period of married life, in town,  we found our way back to the country, we lucked out, & have great neighbors,  If we need something, they are there for us, plus we try to return the favors. PD

PD, I found the Vietnam program very interesting. It was full of history of the country. I believe this series has 10 episodes. I don't think this show will change my mind about that war but it will educate me. Thank you for your service, PD.

My allergies are terrible today. Sneezing and eyes swollen. I hoped the rain would clear the air.

Heidi, hope you got your cats treated. Cats are smart. They seem to always know when something is up!!!

Better get something done about this messy house!!

Edited by Danyel

2 hours ago, jubal said:

Thank you for your service, PD. I'm sorry it had to be in that war.

When graduating from high school in the mid 60s, wasn't long until Uncle Sam came calling. Good part was I met my wife while in the military.  But I do appreciate you& Danyel's Thanks.

Small rant, feel free to scroll on by, I just need a moment to get it outta my head so I can work and not bite people. 

So. My mom moved down here last November. She has shut in tendencies, so I thought it would be a great idea for her to buy a car. A "friend" just started one of those buy here pay here car lots. So in April, she picked herself out a cute little VW Passat.  Mkay, whatev, as long as I get my truck back. I thought he was asking about $4k too much for it, (7 total) but if she's cool with the amount, I can cope with it, I suppose. Wasn't expecting it to be a standard shift, especially with her weak arm and bad shoulder issues, but once again, if she's happy, I'm good. First night, first problem, you can't see a thing with the headlights adjusted where they are. (They put new ones in as the old ones had cracked lenses.) On the way to take it back for that, the little plastic vents in the front under the bumper fell out. So they ordered those for us, apparently adjusted lights wrong way. Fixed the glove box handle, etc. I asked why the check engine light was on, as I know from learning the hard way, that's bad. "Just an o2 sensor, we ordered one, it'll be here next week. Random little things for the past 5 months, it's been "Little things" here and there-ing me to death! Because, you see, every time something goes wrong, *I* get to take it in, because this woman that birthed me is meaner than I ever was, and they won't deal with her after she blew up over their lack of adjusting the headlights.

Middle of June, she called me at work, sobbing, it won't shift. She thinks she lost first and second gears, as well as reverse. Called them, they said to bring it in. (Seriously? Mom's on the side of the road, bawling.) Called AAA, got her off the road, they replaced the bent clutch fork, car's fine again. But they forgot to do the headlights. Again. Now the cruise control doesn't work, which isn't a big deal, she doesn't use it anyway. 

(We live out of town a ways, it's not like Mom is willing to make a special trip to town to get them adjusted, as the couple times she tried, she got "Come back in a couple hours".) 

It started making a weird tick-popping noise on corners at low speed. (Parking lot turns, driveway, etc.) I called and told him about the noise, & Mom is scared to drive it, and has my truck. Again. He told me, "Let her drive the truck, and YOU just drive the car."

DUDE! It's MY truck, if I wanted a dang car, I would have BOUGHT a dang car, I got a TRUCK so I can do TRUCK stuff. 

Fast forward to last Friday. The freaking engine shield fell OFF while we were picking my kid up from football practice. Big giant plastic thing, under the one front wheel that actually gets it to go forward or backward. had to push it to get it off, to get that thing the rest of the way off. Which could have killed someone driving down the road.  Check engine light hasn't gone off yet. ("Oh, older cars just do that, it's nothing to worry about.") So I planned to take it in Monday and leave it. Saturday, had to pick the boys up from a boy scout thing, the AC went out. At this point, I am DONE with this car. I hate cars anyway, and I get stuck driving the expletive thing when it has issues. 

Called Monday, he said to drop it off Tuesday morning, he'd give me a loaner. Cool, I can deal with that. So I called yesterday around 10 am to ask what time I could get the loaner, as I dropped the car off at 7 am, so I could have a co worker come get me and get to work on time. 

He. Flipped. Out. "I don't HAVE to give ANYONE a loaner, MOST dealerships don't even HAVE loaners, and I don't appreciate you calling and HOUNDING me about it. The car will be done at 5 pm, come get it." :shocked:

Alrighty then. 

Went at 5 to get the car. It's sitting on the side of the lot in the "Done" spot. He came out, handed me the key, and said "There ya go." and went back in. 

Got in the car, it won't start. Before I could say anything, here comes his little mechanic with the jumper pack. Got it started, off I go. Sort of. You know that noise they make when there ARE no brake pads, just bare metal on the rotor? It sure as heck wasn't making that noise when I left it there that morning.  So I got out, told him it's not fixed. He told me they replaced the front axles, it needs to seat itself. 

Fine. Drove it out to the stop light. 

Now I might be a girl, and not know everything about cars, especially foreign German cars, but I am pretty positive a little 6 cylinder car is NOT supposed to sound like it has a Jake Brake. 

Turned around and got out, he comes out, "NOW what!"

Told him, "YOU drive it. I'll wait." He gets in, giving me the "It's a used car, it's not a $40k Brand new one, it's gonna have issues.... oh. yea, that's a bad noise."

I told him, "I know it's not a $40K car, but it's not a $500 car either, for what you're charging her for it, I would expect it to last longer than 6 months also.

Now. My kid is sitting at the school waiting for me, and has to be ion the OTHER town 30 miles away in 20 minutes."

He handed me the key to a beetle bug, said he would come get it at my work when our car is fixed. 

:duh: 

14 minutes ago, noponies said:

I'd have made him take the car back after the first 2 trips in. Junk is junk.

Yea, he does the guilt trip silver tongue buddy buddy carp. "It's a good car, I'll take care of you, always do, etc." I have tried to give the car back a couple times now, he says it would go as a surrender at this point, and she'd still be responsible for the difference if he sells it again cheaper, and he says he will not take it in in trade without another down payment on something else. Hate to say it, but I think the only reason he gave in on the loaner yesterday was my older boy was with me.  Do you think I should get a lawyer at this point? Technically he has not charged me for any parts or labor, it's just extremely inconvenient and stressful. And I feel he's taking advantage of an old lady. (Mom, not me. Zip it, Wolfie, I know you'll chime in here somewhere, lol!)

Did he give you any kind of a warranty?  If not, he's  not really obligated to take it back or, do as much as he has to this point. 

It sucks, that he took advantage of your mom like that, I feel he knew all about the problems the car had and, was anxious to unload it...... maybe, he didn't count on you calling him on it.

What year is this car?  7 thousand sounds awfully high, did your mom take it to a mechanic before purchasing?  Even when dealing with friends, it's advisable.... Especially with friends, actually.

I've seen many court cases like this on the court tv shows and, they usually end in favor of the seller..... because, used car, no mechanic involved before purchase.

If you can persuade him to just take the car back and, refund the money, I'd go that route, but, at this point, he probably won't, because of the money he's put into it in repairs.

Good luck, I hope you get it straightened out.

It wouldn't hurt to get some legal advice, but, I'm not sure the law is on your side, here.  He's doing repairs, without charging you, it's a used car and, did your mom have a mechanic look at it beforehand?  Did he offer any kind of warranty? 

Those are things that could come back to bite you.

3 minutes ago, noponies said:

Most states have a Lemon Law, or some such. They are there to protect people from such as this. Worth looking into.

Does that apply to used cars? 

Ah, the lemon law only covers used cars if there was some kind of warranty offered with it by the seller.

Edited by equicrzy