I think it's great that Zarinna will be taking care of her two favorite minis.  Owning and caring for horses is how a lot of us grew up and stayed out of trouble.  I worked at a pet store so I could pay for my first horse, when I was in high school.  I had to pay board at a little run down self care place.  It was a learning experience.  If she has to work a little around the farm to earn farrier and vet money, or work elsewhere,  because gramps is too cheap, it will be good for her.  You've taught her a lot, and now, it's time for her to do it herself.  It would be far worse if he was just paying for everything for her.  She'd lose interest in a heartbeat.

Hope the other minis get good homes.  

Edited by little cow

25 minutes ago, little cow said:

I think it's great that Zarinna will be taking care of her two favorite minis.  Owning and caring for horses is how a lot of us grew up and stayed out of trouble.  I worked at a pet store so I could pay for my first horse, when I was in high school.  I had to pay board at a little run down self care place.  It was a learning experience.  If she has to work a little around the farm to earn farrier and vet money, or work elsewhere,  because gramps is too cheap, it will be good for her.  You've taught her a lot, and now, it's time for her to do it herself.  It would be far worse if he was just paying for everything for her.  She'd lose interest in a heartbeat.

Hope the other minis get good homes.  

Shes 12, with a mom that could care less about where she is, what she does, or what shes interested in...especially if it costs money. She has no way to earn money. Shes not payed for chores, her grandaddy isnt going to give her a dime no matter what she does. Hes proven that in the past.

Im not sure how long the minis will last.

My accidental pumpkin, lol. Shes full of beautiful blooms, we'll see if I actually get a pumpkin. Last fall my brother and I and his kids and the girls went to the pumpkin patch and my brother bought everyone a pumpkin. Mine sat on the porch, froze, thawed, got rained on, snowed on, and played with by Benny. Eventually it landed off the side of the porch in a heap of mush and seeds. I didnt think a thing about it til this plant popped up lol. I'll have to take some pics of my real garden.

20190601_081904.jpg

QB I couldn't get a pumpkin when I tried.  Then one year noticed a number of plants on the burn pile.  That's where had thrown about 1/2 doz previous year.

PD sounds like you have just enough beds to keep you out of trouble.  Its nice to see you pop in once in a while.  Please post about an adventure you have with your horses.  I am sure you will find some time to hit the trail.

LC is LJ excited for school to be done?  We have couple more days left.  Shortman can't get out fast enough.  How is your pup doing?  If you get a chance we would love to see updated pics him & don't forget your mare.

Its been really hot lately with crazy intense storms to the north. Tonight it will be 45 degrees. Mother nature is crazy.

Our night temps are still dropping with highs maybe in low 70's.  Look at projected forecast for the month & we are not to get above mid 70's.  

RRW,  I lost  a horse last winter, don't think I ever mentioned it here,  so going to lok at another.  Kept thinking what does a 72 year old man need with another horse, especially with the price of hay that is now higher.  But If I don't spend some money now my kids will when I'm gone.    PD

PD, I am sorry about your horse.  As we've said you 'll find one when not looking.  You are right about hay.  I went looking for 4x5 rounds & everything is $100 or more per bale.  No idea where they are thinking up these numbers.  Around my area it wouldn't be a problem if they would cut the fields more than once.

^^^The growers are probably thinking there will be a hay shortage because of all the flooding.

I lost my TWH, he had laminitis,  I put him down the end od Dec.  there is treatment for it, but finding what works is another problem, & it does get costly.  You bite the bullet, you either let the horse continue to suffer, or you put him out of it.   Going to look at another this week hopefully. PD

RRW, LJ is beside himself.  Today is the last real day and tomorrow is just honor roll mass and he's done.  Is this your busy season?  How does Shortman spend his time when you are working?  

PD, I'm so sorry about your horse.  I looked at gaited horses.  Even rode a few.  The TWHs were too tall for me and the Paso Finos required learning a different style of riding.  I never looked at Peruvians, but I thought they might do well because they were shorter and calmer.  Those TWHs sure seem to have a steady nature, though.   Do you like Missouri Foxtrotters and Rockies?  I see those around here sometimes.  

Queen, I guess it depends on the kid.  I was a plucky one at that age.  I found odd jobs and paid for things that my mom refused to, like vaccinating and neutering our cat (I was ten).  My first job was cash paid for cleaning stalls at the farm down the road.  Where there is a will...

Edited by little cow

PD, I'm very sorry about your walker. He was a handsome horse. Unfortunately, TWHs are prone to founder. Saddlebreds are too which is why I've had more than enough experience with it. And I found out after the fact that Morgans founder easily. It's a real pain trying to keep them healthy.

I wish you luck in your search. Are your other horses doing okay? I know one of them was pretty old, right?

5 hours ago, little cow said:

Queen, I guess it depends on the kid.  I was a plucky one at that age.  I found odd jobs and paid for things that my mom refused to, like vaccinating and neutering our cat (I was ten).  My first job was cash paid for cleaning stalls at the farm down the road.  Where there is a will...

I think it depends on opportunities for kids under legal working age here. She has no transportation other than her mom, who isnt interested. Ive always joked about getting Zarinna a little car or truck with farm use tags so she could do a little pet sitting in the area. She loved that idea...but she's 12, and times are different than they were when I was her age. Heck around here they dont even let kids her age babysit. If she had transportation to a little job, she'd do it in a heartbeat.

PD Im so sorry about your horse. I hope you are able to find another.

Sonics girlfriends were picked up yesterday evening. The landlord is really going all out lol. They were taken back to the dump they came from, where Mr. Butters and Whitewash came from. Sonic is ticked, hes still calling for them lol. Looks like he'll be king of the minis again for a little while.

QB, won't be long & he'll find another love interest once you get him moved.

LC, Shortman will go to day camp at a place call Hunt Hill Audubon .  They are on something like 500 acres & they do all sorts of programs.  Each day is nature science learning with a theme.  They play games, hike on the trails, swim, do crafts from 8am-4pm.  He goes M-F & of those days does after camp where we can pick him up at 5:30.  It is a fantastic program & he looks forward to it every year.  This will be his 5th year going & want to be a junior counselor when he turns 12.  He will be at camp for a total of 28 or so days.  Saturdays he likes going to the railroad & enjoys helping where he can.  Oh & can't forget the grandparent dates that also helps fill up the summer.  Might have 5 weeks we have to keep him entertained.

https://hunthill.org/  

Lost a few cucumber plants. I think the sun was just too much for them. I moved the other ones to an area of the yard that gets shade part of the day and sun the other part of the day. I planted a few more that I started from seeds. One of my plants has a little cucumber on it.

Im purging tack. Im a tack hoarder to begin with. I have 7 bridles, numerous bits, several headstalls, reins, rope halters, a hackamore, leather halters etc. I havent opened the rubbermaid containers yet, lord help me. I have 2 english saddles I dont use, pads, etc. And now Ive got 1 horse, so this stuff has got to go. Im giving a bridle to a coworker who recently got a horse, and probably a couple pads. Theres a tack auction this month that Ill haul everything to and make a few bucks.

QB that's the best part of planting in pots.  Easily move them where they would do Best.  Its amazing how we over time can get a collective of stuff.

In the process of making a vanilla cake with butter cream frosting.  Think I'll put strawberry jam in the layer & decorate with some fresh strawberries.  Will post Pics

2 hours ago, QueenBAW said:

Lost a few cucumber plants. I think the sun was just too much for them. I moved the other ones to an area of the yard that gets shade part of the day and sun the other part of the day. I planted a few more that I started from seeds. One of my plants has a little cucumber on it.

Im purging tack. Im a tack hoarder to begin with. I have 7 bridles, numerous bits, several headstalls, reins, rope halters, a hackamore, leather halters etc. I havent opened the rubbermaid containers yet, lord help me. I have 2 english saddles I dont use, pads, etc. And now Ive got 1 horse, so this stuff has got to go. Im giving a bridle to a coworker who recently got a horse, and probably a couple pads. Theres a tack auction this month that Ill haul everything to and make a few bucks.

I'm not a tack hoarder but I have a lot of stuff I no longer use. And as friends have gotten older and no longer ride, they use me as a dumping place for tack. I wish I could find an auction. I have donated some stuff to a ranch for at risk youth. You can at least get a tax deduction that way. Or you used to be able to. I don't know about now.

I listed a bunch of stuff on Facebook for sale. Mainly mini stuff. Good grief I have a lot of stuff for minis that werent even mine. So far I sold a leather mini halter. Didnt make much after paypal takes their fee and shipping. Made like $5 lol, oh well, I'll take $5 for something that I'll never use. It was a learning experience for sure and I went back and upped the prices on my listings.

2 hours ago, little cow said:

I've got to run, but wanted to share what I've been up to the last few days.  Here's the story of our cow and her bra, lol!https://moonlitoaksranch.blogspot.com/

ZOMG, what a story!  LOL 
Still, that was udderly inspirational to fix that rig up for Fiona to keep her from injuring herself.  I almost wish the suspenders and boxers were in bright colors and that you were near a busy road, just for the novelty of seeing it while driving past!

Every time I lay on the couch, she takes it as a personal invitation to lay ontop of me. I wonder if she knows she weighs 65lbs. 

20190605_124123.jpg

QB, That is cute picture,  just goes to show  she both trusts & loves you,  So that is just 65 lbs  worth of love.  PD

3 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

ZOMG, what a story!  LOL 
Still, that was udderly inspirational to fix that rig up for Fiona to keep her from injuring herself.  I almost wish the suspenders and boxers were in bright colors and that you were near a busy road, just for the novelty of seeing it while driving past!

Thanks, Heidi!  Never a dull moment....

4 hours ago, Proud Dad said:

QB, That is cute picture,  just goes to show  she both trusts & loves you,  So that is just 65 lbs  worth of love.  PD

Yep, she loves me. I swear I think this dog knows I saved her. I love all 65lbs of her too honestly. Life wouldnt be the same without her for sure.

Benny had her first snake encounter today. Thats always a fear of mine. Had a dog bit by a copperhead years ago and it was a pretty scary situation. Ive been worried that Benny would get bitten, shes such a puppy still. She catches butterflies and bees, crickets, and other bugs...I just figured, ya know, the puppy in her wouldnt be able to resist. But, she suprised me! She started barking and pointing. I went to see what it was...thinking snake, but didnt see anything. I walked away and sat down. Benny again started barking and pointing, came hopping over to me barking and hopped back over to where there trying its best to hide in the few sprigs of tall grass was the smallest little harmless garden snake Ive ever seen. I wanted to pick it up and put it in the woods but at the same time I didnt want Benny thinking a snake was ok since I touched it. So I shooed it on its way where it slithered through a crevice and under the house. Im so glad my Benny girl is a smart pup. Hopefully any other encounter will go just as well.

Smart dog! And they absolutely know when someone saves them. My little kitty (and the last one I had) is especially loyal. Others I've gotten from the home that raised them weren't so attached.