On 6/4/2019 at 5:24 AM, jubal said:

PD, I'm very sorry about your walker. He was a handsome horse. Unfortunately, TWHs are prone to founder. Saddlebreds are too which is why I've had more than enough experience with it. And I found out after the fact that Morgans founder easily. It's a real pain trying to keep them healthy.

I wish you luck in your search. Are your other horses doing okay? I know one of them was pretty old, right?

Jubal, My quarter horse is 22 & acts like a 4 year old,  My old mare is 27,  & came through this past winter better than winter before, she is a  walking horse, she is no longer sound to ride, but been a horse with very few health problems,  she was 20 when I bought her.   Going to look at a couple walking horses  tomorrow,  Been spoiled by way they step out cover ground,  in much less time than my quarter horse can. at a walk.  I've had my quarter horse for 13 years, so him I have a long history,  He can be a bit of a clown at times, but is a keeper.   You All have a great day. PD

Edited by Proud Dad

To start your morning.  Cake turned out good but I may have over mixed it as it was really heavy. Tasted great.  My mom said it would be good with a berry sauce & whipped cream.

Didn't want anyone to miss the cake that's why it is bright pink.

IMG_20190605_195408.jpg

IMG_20190605_200914.jpg

PD, I've owned a Walker but it was by accident. I broke and trained him for half interest. I found out the other owner was trying to sell him behind my back but wouldn't sell his interest to me. So a friend "bought" him for me. I still have the bill of sale. The other owner was not happy when the horse only moved next door. He turned out to be a good little horse for my younger sister and then raised the kids of a good friend.  Jubal is 18 this year and has more energy than in the last 14 years I've had him. He leaves the barn every morning at a fast buck.

RRW, Yikes on the pink icing! But the inside looks yummy. I'll expect some in tomorrow's mail.

That cake is beautiful!

Wellll guyyysss...guess what....you wont believe it! All of the minis are gone, except Margarita and June! The landlord called a friend with a stock trailer and apparently found them a home on an Amish families farm in Pennsylvania. I showed up this morning to help the farrier since Sonic needed to be trimmed too, and the landlord was out there waiting on the trailer. I asked him if he needed help loading the minis (he doesnt ask for help) and could tell by the look on his face that he did. So yes, I loaded/wrangled/wrestled them onto the trailer, and away they went, stallion too! I think we're all relieved. 

Next, I think those 4H cows will get moved.

Oh the Amish will have them trained.  My Magoo was trained by an 8yr old Amish boy & we had not problems with saddling or pony rides.  Where you see the difference is that he was a tad flighty on the left side when being worked on.  Once he realized I wasn't heavy handed & cared he got over it.

Jubal, I could mail you a piece of cake but I couldn't afford the postage seeing as it weighs to much

1 hour ago, RailroadWoman said:

Jubal, I could mail you a piece of cake but I couldn't afford the postage seeing as it weighs to much

That's okay. I weigh too much too.

RRW, awesome cake!  is Shortman bored, yet?  LOL!

Queen, glad the minis are sold.  Why did your landlord freak out so much about changing everything?  He had a good thing going.  Was he making money off boarding the 4H cattle?  

Jubal, nice to hear your horse is going strong.  

PD, I hope you find a good horse soon.  You guys must be in prime riding weather now.  

The cow bra is holding up!  I think I invented a new booby trap.  Seriously, though.  I think all the cows will be wanting one.  It's an udder sensation.  Fat man suspenders and boys boxer briefs are perfect support for poor old cows that step on themselves getting up.  I couldn't imagine how that must have felt.  Poor old girl had wounds on either side of the two front low hanging teats.  

I wanted to find boxer briefs with prints and fun designs (superheroes maybe?) but our son objected.  He said it was bad enough that the cow is wearing his underwear in public.  At least right now, she is a bit covert with black briefs and black suspenders on a black cow.  

1 hour ago, little cow said:

RRW, awesome cake!  is Shortman bored, yet?  LOL!

Queen, glad the minis are sold.  Why did your landlord freak out so much about changing everything?  He had a good thing going.  Was he making money off boarding the 4H cattle?  

Jubal, nice to hear your horse is going strong.  

PD, I hope you find a good horse soon.  You guys must be in prime riding weather now.  

The cow bra is holding up!  I think I invented a new booby trap.  Seriously, though.  I think all the cows will be wanting one.  It's an udder sensation.  Fat man suspenders and boys boxer briefs are perfect support for poor old cows that step on themselves getting up.  I couldn't imagine how that must have felt.  Poor old girl had wounds on either side of the two front low hanging teats.  

I wanted to find boxer briefs with prints and fun designs (superheroes maybe?) but our son objected.  He said it was bad enough that the cow is wearing his underwear in public.  At least right now, she is a bit covert with black briefs and black suspenders on a black cow.  

The 4H cows are there for free. Thier owner doesnt pay a dime, and they havent been to the farm to check on the cows in weeks. They leave thier stuff (halters and feed pans) laying around and I had to literally pull the halters out of the grass where the grass had grown over them. The feed pans were full of rain water. 

I had a talk with Zarinna today about the cows. I told her not to be friendly with them, dont pet them and dont allow them to come up to her. I told her not to trust either of them and to carry a plastic bat or stick into the field with her if she goes in there. She says shes gonna  talk to her grandaddy (landlord) about moving them to the field where the mini stallion was.

Zarinna is taking June to her 4H meeting this evening to do a little presentation on how to brush a mini, lol. Shes memorized all of her brushes and knows how to use them. The trailer was all set up and ready to pull out this evening. I couldn't be there to help her, Im going to a play, but we went over everything. I told her she needs to show her grandaddy she can load and unload her pony by herself, including closing the ramp. So she practiced a few times with me there. I gave her a copy of Junes coggins to take/keep, even had her sign it as the owner. Her grandaddy was gonna haul her this evening. I cant wait to hear how things went.

LC, first day of summer & he is already at the grandparents with pick up on Sunday.  He'll have fun at my parents as there is a good batch of families with kids his age.  When he stays he'll go ask if they can play outside & they will play all day if they can.  So he is getting more play friendship at my parent then he ever would at home.

Don't they make girls boxers?  You could get a girly pair for the cow.

Image result for girls boxer briefs

LOL!  It's the spandex in the boxer briefs that give her support.  Kind of like a snug sports bra.  We all know how important support is (well, except for PD).  

Sounds like a great summer for Shortman.  

LJ goes to a day horse camp next week.  I had to make sure there was at least one other boy (there is).  They ride first thing, so I can stay and watch.  It will be fun to see him on a horse after he has been riding his Shetland for so long.  He rode our old horse that we put down last year, but not recently.  His pony gave him heck yesterday when he was riding her bareback.  She decided to be barnsour because he rode when I fed the others their hay (I waited on grain).  He stuck with her and rode her to another spot on the farm before dismounting and bringing her home.  

Edited by little cow

LC I am sure LJ will have fun at horse camp.  If they get into games it will be a blast for the kids.  Shortman would enjoy horse camp of it were Iron Horse.

IMG_20190507_082648.jpg

I have a dilemma.  Libby's vision is even worse and the Fourth of July is coming up. 

She has been blind in her right eye since I rescued her.  The left eye had some vision, but I am not so sure about that anymore.  We use big tubs to feed hay and the horses sometimes scoot them around the stall.  Libby can't find hers if I don't put it back in the corner, where it belongs.  This didn't used to be a problem.  The big pasture is horse ready, but since Libby hasn't been out there, I can't put her out there now that she can't see.  I'm afraid she will hurt herself.  If I turn Bitsey and the pony out, Libby freaks out.  If I turn just the Bitsey out, so the pony can stay in the barn with Libby, Bitsey freaks out because she is alone in the pasture. 

Libby can only be turned out in the small pasture, where she is comfy and nothing has changed since her vision has worsened.  But that pasture needs to grow back now. 

I tried ponying Libby and it went pretty well, but she trips easily.  

The Fourth of July is a fear fest for Libby.  She hates fireworks.  I bought a mild paste sedative from our vet to give Libby.  I hope it works.  She scraped herself up last year, when she still had some vision.  

She is shiny and in excellent weight, especially for 29 years old.  She gets her Cushings meds daily and no sign of founder.  I'd hate to put her down because of her vision, but what is her quality of life if I can't turn her out with the others?  Is it right to keep them cooped up because she can't go out?

Arrrgggghh!

Edited by little cow

^^^You're the only one that can make that decision. But if it were I, I would walk her around the pasture perimeter with the others out there and then turn her loose with the them to babysit her. She can find them by scent and will stay close to them. It's worth a try.

You can also fasten bells to whichever one of the horses she gets along with best, for something to follow. They learn boundaries pretty fast.

Hi All,  As you can tell I don't stop here as much as I used to,  Life has gotten busy & I've spent more time than usual looking for another lady for my life, as life alone after 47 year of marriage, has been kind of the pits.  No one cold fully replace what I had,  but I did find a lady that was also lonely, as I was, so we see each other now & then.  So Thursday I went & bought a horse to replace the one I lost,  last December.  This is Indy, a 12 year old TWH, was looking for something as flashly as him. But he one of 2 I had to choose from that I could afford, the other was a very refined palomino,  Indy was bigger of the two.  Got chance to ride him 7 miles up & down hills, through some water,  &  over some down trees, & through mud.  He never missed a beat.   PD20190606_194259.thumb.jpg.30d93090f764aa7f91f888f4828d32f2.jpg

6 hours ago, jubal said:

^^^You're the only one that can make that decision. But if it were I, I would walk her around the pasture perimeter with the others out there and then turn her loose with the them to babysit her. She can find them by scent and will stay close to them. It's worth a try.

That would work in most pastures, but ours has trees and is still rough. There are stumps to trip over and little ditches.  She tore up her leg last summer at our old farm on the only thing in a very clean pasture.  And, she knew it was there. 

LC, can you fence off part of the pasture that is safe with electric fencing for Libby? It would only be temporary while her small pasture grows out. Or fence off part of her small pasture with it while the other part grows.

Your new horse looks like a keeper, PD. I hope your new lady friend is too.

Edited by jubal

Thanks for the nice comments on Indy, & it is nice to have lady in my life again.  I'll try to be around more,  I'm so out of touch on what is happening here, that I'm lost most of the time.   Take Care,   PD

Oh PD....what a handsome boy you found.  You ate going to enjoy the miles with him.  Fantastic you have a gal to share time with.  

Taking the time to ride is going to be next problem, have alot to keep me busy at the moment, but  Indy is still settling in.   But he is level headed  & doesn't get excited. ut I do know this horse will go just about any place. Just like the ground covering gait, of a TWH, that is why I bought another.  Haven't seen my lady friend for 3 weeks, she had a cornea transplant, & it has taken longer for her to heal from that than expected, but she is on road to recovery now.   Best Wishes  All,  PD

PD - if you find out any details of the cornea transplant, I would sure be interested! I need one also, (to give me better vision) I have Fuchs Dystrophy and it seems to be getting worse as I get older. I am told that the only recourse is a corneal transplant. I know only that you use donor tissue (guess that would be a cadaver cornea!) and not a plastic lens like in cataract surgery.

1 hour ago, DancinDreaminKid said:

PD - if you find out any details of the cornea transplant, I would sure be interested! I need one also, (to give me better vision) I have Fuchs Dystrophy and it seems to be getting worse as I get older. I am told that the only recourse is a corneal transplant. I know only that you use donor tissue (guess that would be a cadaver cornea!) and not a plastic lens like in cataract surgery.

DDK, I just talked to my lady friend & she said that if you go on facebook & type  Fuch Dystrophy, a site should come up where you can talk to people from all over, about cornea problems.  If not PM me with a phone number & she'll be glad to call & talk to you.  You might want to say when the best time is to call you.  She would be more than glad to share info. 

So there are dangers involved with working to have a nice looking lawn.  About two weeks ago I had week&feed the front lawn along with the surrounding lawn.  We had alot of dandelions & knew that if don't take care of it this year it will be worse next.  Guess what the weed&feed did its job.  Not until it is applied & does it thing that you see how bald the lawn really is.  Yup, apparently we had alot of weeds to make the grass look green.  The lawn is looking so thin in some places it looks like someone who had hair transplant plugs put in.  Oh well give it a couple months then will hit is again with another feed.  Had this happen at place we rented once.  However, there it turned out the entire yard was weeds.

Hope everyone had a fantastic day.

RRW,    Thanks for the info on lawn care, a good reminder to me to leave well enough alone.