1 hour ago, RailroadWoman said:

So there are dangers involved with working to have a nice looking lawn.  About two weeks ago I had week&feed the front lawn along with the surrounding lawn.  We had alot of dandelions & knew that if don't take care of it this year it will be worse next.  Guess what the weed&feed did its job.  Not until it is applied & does it thing that you see how bald the lawn really is.  Yup, apparently we had alot of weeds to make the grass look green.  The lawn is looking so thin in some places it looks like someone who had hair transplant plugs put in.  Oh well give it a couple months then will hit is again with another feed.  Had this happen at place we rented once.  However, there it turned out the entire yard was weeds.

Hope everyone had a fantastic day.

You didn't mention planting grass. What are you going to "feed?" My view is dandelion season doesn't last forever. In the meantime, I enjoy the pretty yellow flowers.

Jubal, what I have done in the past is hit it with another brand of feed & it will come back nice & thick.  Next year I should have to weed&feed.  If using a good brand the yard should be good for at least 2 seasons before hitting it again.  The other thing been doing is pulling the yard sweeper along to pick up clippings.  That sure make it look beautiful.

On 6/8/2019 at 8:15 PM, jubal said:

LC, can you fence off part of the pasture that is safe with electric fencing for Libby? It would only be temporary while her small pasture grows out. Or fence off part of her small pasture with it while the other part grows.

Your new horse looks like a keeper, PD. I hope your new lady friend is too.

That is a good thought, but, I think it's just too risky for Libby.  She is a spirited horse and reacts with energy.  I led her around to show her this new farm, and she can use those spaces, but turning her loose is just risky.  If she was a calm old mare, it would be different.  I hate to call her a liability, but I am the only one that can catch her and lead her. She used to let others catch her.  I don't know guys.  Maybe I'm not seeing worsening vision.  Maybe she is a little senile.   She does react to shadows.  I am getting close to deciding to put her down.  I hate doing it because she looks good, but she is hard to manage and I can't get out enough.  Horses shouldn't be locked up in small spaces.  Especially a hot blooded mare.  If I am going to to it, I should be before the 4th of July.  Reacting to fireworks frequently cause her injuries because she panics.  I have a sedative, but the fireworks go on before and after the main day.  Since we live in town,. there is no buffer, like there was at the old farm.  I spent most of New Year's Eve in her stall/paddock area because she  worked herself into a frothy sweat.  She hates them.  I would have to sedate her every night for hours.  Not appropriate.  

Edited by little cow

Thanks, RRW.  Libby is a dear old friend.  I hate this.  I will do my best by her for all concerned.  I know how Cushings ends.  I can't tell her that laminitis might be just around the corner.  There are the practical considerations as well.  We can't bury her here.  Everything is complicated to arrange.  Taking her elsewhere would be horrible because of her blindness.  

I keep thinking of that 'one day early is better than one day late' quote.  

My last one was put down in a stock trailer then transported to the grave out of town.

Our vet asked if we wanted to do that.  The vet has helped me a lot with this decision, but in the end, it falls on my shoulders.  There is nothing urgent, just a slow, steady decline.  :(

I know that many people wouldn't entertain a blind horse.  She has done very well for 7 years.  She was scared out of her wits and untrusting when she came to us.  She has learned to trust again.  I guess that's why it's so hard.  I've fought to help her along all this time.  It's hard to give up fighting.  

Edited by little cow

^^^Then don't. You'll know for sure when it's time and you won't be second guessing yourself.

(Can't get rid of the italics.)

Truth. The horse is pretty good at letting you know when its time. if you "listen".

I agree and disagree.  I think it depends on the horse.  My first mare never gave up until the vet was ready to give the shot.  I waited too long, but she was brave for me.  Dang near broke my heart when I realized how bad she was.  I got so used to seeing her slowly hobble around that I didn't see the forest for the trees..  I wanted her to stay with me. 

The other horses we've had did let us know.  I don't know if it's any factor, but the geldings were the ones that told us it was time to go.  This mare is a fighter, just like my first horse.  She is a Morgan with all the toughness and heart of her breed.  She doesn't know how to quit.  I can't tell her what's ahead.  All I can do is discuss her quality of life with the vet and make the tough choice myself.  

Edited by little cow

For what it's worth, my last horse before Jubal had Cushings. He had no symptoms other than lack of coat shedding. He never got lame. He lost some weight but never got skinny.  He had no blindness or compromised vision. He lived five years after the diagnosis, but died of colic at 29. He was also half Morgan.

So your horse may not get the things you're worried about, although the blindness is a problem. If she were my horse, I'd get her a goat companion, put a bell on it, and let it live in her stall and pasture with her. And I'd ride her around the farm with the goat so she feels useful.

Good Morning,

PD--It is nice to see you pop in. I'm not here much either, but sure is good to "see" you. Nice looking new horse! So sorry to hear you lost your other one. That is always hard. I am happy that you have been able to find someone to spend time with. I hope that things are going well and that you are doing fine. 

RRW--Like your garden. Will be giving you a call. Interested in your experience with Groupon as we were called here at the museum to use them. Also, just miss talking to you and would like to find a nice weekend to come down for a visit, ride the train, do the things. You know. Fun stuff. I only get every other weekend off, so not a lot of time to cram all the things I want to do in this summer. It's already going by terribly fast. 

I will try and get some pictures of the garden tonight. I know, I know. I said I would get pictures of the house! I am going to post some from my phone today. Just gotta log in from my mobile and scroll through the 6k that I have. Lol. 

Be back in a bit with pictures. Love you all. 

Here are some photos of the property and update snippets of my existence. lol.

These next images are from the original sale listing:

Four season porch is the large room with wood stove. 

I'll share a couple pictures of the renovated kitchen, though they are not the best. I'll get some outdoor pictures and ones of the barn and the garden tonight. The barn needs to come down though as it is just not large enough. 

20181116_160557.jpg

20181116_160544.jpg

20181116_160635.jpg

20181116_160624.jpg

Also, my little brother got married and so far I've lost 45 pounds since RRW saw me last. 

So a couple photos from the wedding. One with my brother (the red head), one with bill (my s.o of 12.5 years), and the other is my grandpa, one of my very best friends. 

Maybe I'll just start my own thread of all my adventures. I have loads of photos from the cabin, the horses, museum conferences, work stuff. All the things. Lol!!!

20180804_183922.jpg

20180804_201457.jpg

20180804_201345.jpg

My gosh, Spanish, you look like a whole different person!  

I love that porch. I would put in some Indian rugs, a recliner, a TV and live in there. Looking forward to pictures of the outside stuff.

Spanish......CONGRATULATION!!!! You are looking FANTASTIC GIRL....keep up the good work.  Can't say the same here as winter hibernation this year did a number on me.   Love your new home & the kitchen turned out great.  Agree with Jubal give me that 4 season room.  

Once I get the staffing situated at the motel I'll see about driving north on a Sunday to Monday & pay you a visit.  Miss our visits.

Awesome pictures, Spanish!

Thanks for your thoughts, Jubal.  Libby has a lot of complications from Cushings and she is lame most days.  We don't have a pasture for her that is safe and she needs a special diet.  Sharing with our goat is not an option.  I wish we had a big pasture for her.  I would love to put our horses on turnout, but we don't have enough land.  I will not send her somewhere else because I can't ensure she will be safe.  Our vet is very good and ethical.  She would not suggest putting her down just because.  

Edited by little cow

On another note, the cow with the bra is doing well.  Her baby no longer needs bottle feeding to supplement.  She is even eating some of the creep feed.  Two more cows are leaving for their new home by the end of the month.  It's an older lady who wants to milk.  We will keep Fiona (and her bra), her baby, and one other heifer.  

Edited by little cow

Finally got most of all the flower pots planted.  Have to make one more bucket planter so I can put flowers with the semaphore cross buck.  Some of the pots got aged composted cow manure  that the bags have been sitting in the barn for good 3yrs.  Fingers crossed will get monster flowers in those pots.  Will post pic once get everything finished & put away.

LC, would she go well in a round pen off of her stall?  Or just a round pen with hay in the middle, nothing to trip on & no corners to get stuck in.  If that is an option you just get as many panels needed for the size you want.  Round pen in the current pasture so she can still hear the other horses but not get into trouble.  I am sure you have already covered it but I may have forgotten, just trying to brainstorm some ideas.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:06 PM, Proud Dad said:

DDK, I just talked to my lady friend & she said that if you go on facebook & type  Fuch Dystrophy, a site should come up where you can talk to people from all over, about cornea problems.  If not PM me with a phone number & she'll be glad to call & talk to you.  You might want to say when the best time is to call you.  She would be more than glad to share info. 

Thanks PD, as step one I will look that up. Then I will get with you if I still have questions!

Hi Spanish,   

Like your home, looks very open & roomy, something you will make into a real home. I remember meeting you once at MN. Horse Expo,  years ago, the girl I remember, & turned into very good looking lady.  Hope life continues to treat you well.

LC, I wish you well with whatever decisions you make with Libby,  None are easy ones, but  between you & her you'll know when to make the right ones.  Just know you'll be in my thoughts.

RRW,   Wish you well with flowers you planted,  I'm sure they'll turn out great, as you lanted them with great love. 

DDK, Feel free to contact me if you have questions, & I will put you in contact with my lady friend.   Best Wishes  All,,  PD

L

PD you just gave me a good laugh.  Planted with love.... Plants needed a home with dirt & that's what they got.  Yesterday had a chat with customers saying how much of a busy beaver I had been.  Just told them there are tasks to be done & weather permitting we hump it & get is done. They just laughed.

To think my high school grad goal was to go to university for horticultural but I went on a blind date& got railroaded.  

If you are of spiritual thinking.... God really sent me down a different track. Love what we have built in those year to bring joy for people. Oh & Yes that was an intended pun.

RRW,   Forgot you had such a sense of humor, sure liked that line went on a blind date & got railroaded.   I can understand where you are proud of what you have built up, & knowledge gained  & shared with others.  But did you expect you would do it it in Spooner WI.   ?  Best Wishes,   PD

I think I get your train of thought, RRW.  It really sounds like you have added all the bells and whistles to your place to make it nice.  I hope you get enough time after work to let off steam.

:D

Libby can go into the round pen for turn out, but unless the others are in there with her, she gets upset.  The round pen is right next to the big pasture, so I thought it would be close enough, but nope.  Life is really stressful for her if the others are not in the stall/paddocks next to her.  She is happy being out with me, for grooming, etc... but she trips a lot if we try to walk down the road.  We can't ride her safely, at this point.  Her life is very limited to a few safe places with her pony pals.  Honestly, I think we getting to that time.  Her quality of life is not what it used to be.

Edited by little cow

A wild turkey hen has joined our flock.

She showed up several weeks ago and blends in with our turkey flock (black and broad breasted).  I couldn't figure out why I kept counting an extra turkey.  We lost one awhile ago and I started doubting myself.  I remembered putting the dead turkey out in the woods for scavengers.  I even went back to make sure it didn't come back to life, lol!  Nope.  We had six; now it's seven.  The little wild hen even got locked up in the coop at night with the others.  She eats the feed out of the feeders and enjoys hanging around with the flock in the yard during the day.  She has been with us for weeks now.  I don't think she's going anywhere.  I can get quite close to her.  She watches me, but doesn't worry, since the other turkeys are so tame.  Four of the six turkeys we had originally were destined for the table.  My husband thought maybe we would add her to the list, but I told him we couldn't.  She's a guest.  You can't eat guests.  :crazy:

Edited by little cow

LC sounds like Miss Lurkey Turkey wants an easy life.  With Libby you are still processing what you want to do but seems like you are getting closer or have found the answer right for you.

PD hubby & I met on a blind date.  When people used to ask how I got into railroading  I'd tell them I went on a blind date & got railroaded. Hubby is flabbergasted that I still tell that line after 27yrs.  People get a kick out of it & well it is true.