LC,  Never easy to put down a faith ful mount, but it is miserable watching them suffer, also, just know you have done your best, & that she will be out of pain.  I've got one coming up, as my old horse is 27,  goood health at this point, but that could change fast.   Take Care & Best Wishes.  PD

On 6/17/2019 at 3:36 PM, RailroadWoman said:

LC, thank you & shouldn't to be sorry for my troubles.  Life has taken a road that really don't want to take & it is heartbreaking.  Due to circumstances my office is cleaned out at the depot.  Really hard to not pack & cry at the same time, told my staffer to go back in her office so as that she won't cry by not looking at me. 

RRW,

Hope everything has resolved itself and things are looking up. ;) What's going on, anything we can do to help?

Farah, thank you for your kindness.  Unless someone has a magic wand to create staff there is no easy way over the hump.  Sadly in the US & Canada along with other countries we having what small business call employment crisis.  It will be getting worse not better in the very near future & the general public are starting to notice.  With businesses cutting back hours, slower service or just closing their doors because there isn't any help.

There are people out there who are what we call the unemployable because they just can't retain any job whats so ever. Then with those who work for a very short bit to get on some form of assistance then quit.  Lets just agree that the system is broken & nobody to fix it right.

On the bright side I don't have to pay for a gym membership.

Wow. 

Are there any universities in your state known for hospitality majors?  Could you set up a paid internship program through their department?  

Libby is gone.  Our vet did a great job.  My big red beauty no longer has to act brave while she limps around.  She doesn't have to worry about not seeing anymore.  I hope she sees perfectly in a place with limitless grass and good friends.  Somewhere she is sound to run at will.

She was the last mare from a special line of Morgans down here in Florida.  The breeder passed away years ago (she was a bit of a legend).  Almost seven years ago, I rescued her from neglect.  She was in horrible shape and terrified because of the untreated eye injury which had blinded her right eye.  Slowly, she learned to trust again.  She learned how to relax in the arena (she was saddleseat trained and acted like she was onstage every time she entered an arena).  I taught her verbal commands to warn her to step over something she couldn't see on the trail (no depth perception with only one eye).  She came around and enjoyed life.  She even gave LJ a ride past the washed out road, so he could get to school last fall.  She gave several kids pony rides with me leading her.  Once she was almost completely blind, she was retired, but still enjoyed her grooming and treats.  She was family and we miss her.  

LC,    What great tribute you gave Libby, Also sorry for your loss, as it sounds like you & Libby had a very special relationship. I wish you you well as I'm sure will no doubt still expect to see her each morning when you go outside.   Take Care & God Bless.  PD

Thanks, guys.  This would be so much harder if I didn't have Bitsey's mane to cry in.  My little Mustang is helping me a lot.  

That is a great article of what is happening.  Think of it as pet trafficking.  So because it is a "rescue" this is much better than a puppy mill(yes the mills are horrible).  This also the justification for small backyard breeders ask up to $1000 for mutt pups. 

Very good article,   don't have a dog, or even want one, as I'm not prepared to five a dog the attention it deserves, but I do enjoy other peoples dogs, & always ready to give them some attention.  PD

Well we are now at the start of July.  Not sure about the rest of you but I am sure you will agree that summer is officially over.  Even though we are bust *** busy at work our calendar shows that summer is over.  It is so full of what Shortman is doing & we are not (because of work) it is over.  The shop is closed for 5 days the last week of August for a little family trip.  Then school is back in session.

The summer months are what we often look forward to, & as we age they go by that much faster. PD

Our summer is terribly short for us up north that you just can't cram enough fun in.  Guess that's why we go to sand & surf country for two weeks.  That's our summer fun in December.

This winter break we will probably head to TX.  Have family that has been wanting us to pay a visit & there is no lack of railroad museums or excursion trains.

Hey RRW,   Someone sent me a notice about Spooner train rides, my lady friend thought sounded fun, & wanted to know if I wanted to go. I'll see her over the 4th, so we'll talk about it, & see if you have an opening.   Take Care   PD

PD, The Big Boy steam locomotive will be in Altoona July 23 on display.  If you have the time would highly recommend going & seeing it.

Remember you being up at our old location.  However, can't remember if you have visited since we move north of town.  We have had alot of changes since the last you visited.

LC, so sorry for your loss of Libby - so glad she had you so she could enjoy her final years.   Saying goodbye is the hardest part of loving our horses and other pets.

Hey all. I had these grand plans of riding Sonic more now that the farm is manageable, but this heat and the bugs..I don't know who's more miserable. I think we'll wait for fall. Its been nasty hot, even in the early mornings. My garden is dwindling and I've had to save a few plants from the heat/sun. My accidental pumpkin plant is thriving and actually has 3 little pumpkins on it. My silly Benny dog has spent her past few days catching baby birds as they leave their nest. I was able to save one, but I noticed today she has caught another. 

I have some sad news, and if you could spare a prayer or send good thoughts Id appreciate it. One of my brothers best friends had a massive stroke last week. He was down at least 24 hours before he was found. A healthy vibrant 36 year old man who works out, doesn't drink, doesnt smoke, and eats healthy, has been reduced to the mentality of a 5 year old at best. He cant even swallow his own saliva. Its not a good situation guys. His mom isnt comprehending what the future holds. My brother has been at his bedside holding his hand and reassuring him that things will be ok, meanwhile crying behind closed doors because he knows that its not going to be ok. If you guys could just spare a thought or two, Id appreciate it.