Well, Fiona made it through her surgery.  Unlike horses, they recover in a regular stall.  No padded rooms for flailing about.  Cows lay there, then their heads come up, they look around, gather themselves, up goes the butt, and, after a few tries, the front end follows.  So much less stressful than when a horse goes under.  

We stayed with Ursa while mama cow was away.  We petted her, let her suckle our fingers, talked to her, and finally, when she got restless, I sang to her.  Then, she fell asleep.  :smile:  

Fiona was led back to her stall when she was awake enough.  She had one quarter that had a lot of necrotic tissue.  It did need to come off and could not wait.  She should make a full recovery.  Ursa can't be in with her for a week, but she can be on the other side of a gate where they can nuzzle each other.  

We have AI straws from our previous bulls, so no worries about accidental pregnancy.  Fiona is the rock of the herd and the best cow auntie to all the calves.  She has an important role, even if she isn't having any more of her own.  

Fiona and Ursa will be in the horse barn for a week.  Bitsey and Maggie get turned out with them, so they won't mind.  

Some pictures.

Before:

IMG_2738_zps8e6ow5vm.jpg

Arrival at the hospital:

IMG_2755_zpsqqljkzfo.jpg

The little calf cart they used to keep Ursa near Fiona while she was prepped for surgery:

IMG_9533_zpsyy1hdu3s.jpeg

Ursa hanging out with us while waiting:

IMG_2772_zpse6dph3di.jpg

Oh, my!  I'm glad she'll be more comfortable now.  That little calf cart was ridiculously adorable!

LC happy that your girl did good & will be fine.  The cow & calf are a very cute pair, I'm guessing that you got a number of compliments.

Fiona has an insistent moo. Louder than any other cow I've ever had. She was quiet the first day at the hospital (feeling uncertain, I'm sure). But, when they took her food away for 24 hours, to prepare for surgery, she bellowed at them, lol! After surgery, her loud moo to get her calf back was pitiful because she was hoarse from intubation. They called me with an update and told me they are trying the two together. They couldn't stand it. I love my opinionated cow.

Edited by little cow

Well hubby just restocked the freezer. The gal the raised it is the same one we bought from last year.  Hubby is happy that we have paid for her college.

Mr. Eddie (look at the beautiful rump roast)

IMG_20190727_201904.jpg

We have a full freezer and we are buying a second freezer to pick up our other steer.  Also, we have four turkeys to dress out next week.  One has got to be 20 pounds!   A wild hen that joined the flock will not be dressed out.  She, one other hen, and one tom will make up the breeder flock.  

Could have bought a pair of turkeys but they went for $330.  There isn't enough gravy to help you choke down that price.

Eddie will be processed & we will give pur staff about 20lbs each as a bonus.  We did that last year & they had really appreciated the gift.

That is a great Christmas gift, unless someone is a vegetarian, lol!  

Why was someone selling turkeys for that much?  We bought ours as babies from the feed store for $7.00.  A few were free because they were a little poor.  They all made, it with extra care.  It does cost a bit to feed a turkey, compared to chickens, but that price for a breeding pair is steep.  

They were having the auction.  The 4H kids receive the funds earned to put towards college. We had a staffer with a cow entered, hubby bid to help him get a better price for him.  One sheep went for $5lb.  It has nothing to do with the animal & more about who the kid is related to & what company that person works for.   Its your typical small town politics.

Next year I want hubby to buy me the smalled sheep.  I'd love to try my hand with lamb.  I love lamb when cooked right.  Shortman likes wild game so know he would like it.

Yay!  For full freezers!

Guess who got stung by a wasp again?  Me!  
On the arm.  Saw a group gathered together where a nest was knocked down so I sprayed them with a can that was nearly out of juice.  I didn't grab my flashlight and leave fast enough and it got me on the forearm.  I vet-wrapped an ice cube to it and took two benadryl.  The reaction is fairly mild - just an itchy red bump.  Still on Abx from the previous stings so I think I'm good.  
PS - I now have a *fresh* can of wasp spray in the barn!

It never pays to go unarmed nor short on ammunition when the dastardly villains abound!

Not sure if anyone is interested still, (this being a horse board; not a cow board) but Fiona is home and settled in her temporary stall.  I set up shelter and brought the heifer into the paddock to keep her company.  That's it.  Our whole herd since we sold most of them.  Anyway, pictures.

IMG_2838_zpsm1aopsay.jpg

IMG_2825_zpsaoyg58he.jpg

IMG_2841_zpsmeuuawr6.jpg

IMG_2805_zpsmxmpisyb.jpg

Cows are good too, and there isn't much "horse" around here anyway. Enjoying the pics and hope your lady heals well.

I will *always* be interested in all critters!

I can't believe how good Fiona looks post-surgery.  She doesn't look subdued or depressed at all, nor even in pain.  I think her face/eyes are beautiful.

LC she is looking really good for having surgery. The herd will be happy now everyone is back home.  As for being sick of cow stories & not being horses don't worry.  We enjoy all critter adventures here.

Nothing for adventure here lately.  Been working & trying to keep Shortman occupied while on break from camp.  Not such a easy task.  If we go out to the farm today I'll take pics of the mud monsters.

RRW, I hope you get to the farm.  It always seems to cheer you up.  :)

Noponies, thanks, I'm glad I'm not boring anyone. 

Cows get picked on a lot in the media.  You would think they have supernatural greenhouse effects.  Actually, it's the concentrated feedlots that cause the real damage.  A cow on grass is like 2-3 deer on grass. 

The concentrated feeds and additives fed in a feedlot cause cow rumens to function at an abnormal level giving off more carbon dioxide.  It actually destroys the rumens, but it doesn't matter since they are getting slaughtered.  If you pulled a steer out of a feedlot right before slaughter, you would need to feed him plain hay for quite a while to recondition his rumen.  Even then, some don't make it.  Not that it happens unless a truck overturns or something.  In addition, the manure generated by the cattle and the cumulative effect of the feedlot causes much more dan]mage.  No way for trees to scrub that amount of carbon dioxide put into the air.  I think the trees surrounding our farm more than absorb and convert the carbon emissions from our animals.  So, grass fed cows are better, lol!

Here are some fun pictures I took yesterday.  We turned the horse, pony, donkey, goat and cow out together.  They made a weird herd.  You can see them all in the first picture.  The goat laid down to ruminate for the others.  Everyone is in the barn today and will remain there until the pasture dries up a bit.

Bitsey the Mustang, Rosie the donkey, Krowka the cow, Nancy the goat, and Maggie the pony.

IMG_2785_zpsiv02ypsr.jpg

IMG_2791_zpseskni7tu.jpg

IMG_2797_zpsdejce7du.jpg

LC at least with the variety of critters in your pasture they will eat around each others manure deposits. 

Nope, didn't make it to the farm.  Got to the railroad later than wanted & had a big order to count for.  While doing that was trying to figure out other issues. 

Tomorrow we have dentist so can't go to the farm then, was of the hope my check ins for today would have been here already so we could go tonight yet.  Well that hasn't happened.  People wonder why I start to get grumpy.  

Well going to go back out & mow the motel lawn.  Maybe later we will go for a swim, that would make for a fun night.

Heidi, how are you doing with your stings?  

Boy the coffee sure tastes good this morning.  I'll be nice & share with you all but you will have to heat it up as it was yesterdays pot.  Yup, m one of those types who keeps it in the pot till it is gone.  Maybe that's why it tastes good, like those people who swear you are to never wash your coffee cup as it just gets seasoned.

Advantage of shopping online is it makes school shopping so so so much easier & stress free.

Heidi, are you feeling better?

RRW, are you just ordering individual items, or using one of the school supply packages?  I tried the package thing, but was a bit disappointed.

Carbon sequestration, that's the term for grass fed cattle carbon emissions being mitigated by the growth of the grass they fertilize and the reduction of carbon due to trees in the area.   Our cow burps don't hurt.  Cows burp much more than fart.  In fact, they rarely fart, on a proper diet.  Another thing the media screws up on.

LC, the school supplies we buy in store as Shortman likes certain brand of crayons & markers.  We usually save $$$ cause I'll sort through what wasn't used the year before.  It is also nice that he has to wear uniforms as just buy the brand that wears good just have to know the size to get.  

I love talking about carbon foot prints.  I laugh at people who are big on the wind/solar & battery power as it is clean energy.  Yes, it is clean now but what about the lasting carbon foot print created to make it.  Also that solar panels might have a life span of 15yrs.  Ok getting off my box.

Oh & learned my something new today.  Didn't realize that cows burped more than farted. 

Thanks for asking about the stings.  My leg is only slightly sore and the markings are almost all gone.  My hand and wrist are back to normal and the last one I got on my forearm only has a slight knot and a bit of redness.  
I killed about 4 more wasps last night in the barn.  I'm hoping it ends soon and we finally get them all.  I'm jumpy as heck, if anything touches me or pokes me, I'm flailing about.  

I stopped bandaging Ever's leg 2 nights ago and it is still looking good.  I am still putting Corona ointment on all of the wounds every day.

Sitting at the library downloading some Netflix stuff.

Its HOOOT. But, Im on vacation! Staycation to be exact lol. So I can sleep as long or as little as I want, go where I want, do what I want, and fish as many days as I want. Got some errands done yesterday and today. Itching for another wood project to do but nothing has crossed my mind or even sparked it. Tomorrow Im going panning for gold with a friend. For some reason shes panning the creek behind her house. Lol, its something to do.

Heidi, I hope you keep improving.  

Queen, enjoy your break!  Have you ever worked with epoxy and wood together?  My husband is a woodworking type guy (just a hobby) and he took a nice slab of wood, chiseled out a stream shaped gouge down the center of it, mixed up blue epoxy, poured it in the gouge, and then sanded it down.  He's doing the finish now.  It's an amazing looking table, but he also did some fun things with the epoxy using scrap wood.  Here's a link to a professional "river table":

QB, a staycation is usually the best.  No rush to be anywhere in particular & do whatever pleases you at any given moment in time.  Have you ever thought about doing modge podge on wooden boxes or benches?

We were just talking about our 4.5 day family vaca.  We have picked a definite destination of a bucket list item.  From there we are just going to make hotel reservations then just find something interesting to do along the road as we make our way to the hotel.  August vaca is a trip that we stay within 8-10hr drive from home.  Less stress & makes for a fun time.

LC, you should post a pic of the table your hubby made.  We like using butcher block to custom make desk tops.  They are so beautiful once they have a couple coats of poly on them.

Hi All,    I had internet problems for a couple weeks,  but I think it is fixed now, but I do have my doubts.  I found video of the table being made very interesting.  Hope you al yhave a great weekend.   Take Care & Best Wishes,   PD

Hi PD!  Welcome back to the land of the internet.  

Bitsey has allergies that are giving her occasional heaves.  She is coughing from our weird pollen and mold spores floating around.  I'm sure her body never experienced that in Nevada!  This is the time of year when horses get it down here.  A little Dex to sooth her until it calms down.  ;)

Cow drama today.  Fiona had her bandage removed, so she was sedated and then given the reversal.  That went smoothly.  She has a little irritation near her tail that I need to keep an eye on.  Ursa scared us though.  She was sedated for dehorning and had a bad reaction to the drugs.  She stopped breathing.  She would gasp infrequently and her heart was beating, but her gums looked bad.  The vet smacked her chest for awhile and then went to draw up the reversal (not usually used in calves).  LJ and I took over.  It was after LJ did chest compressions that she started breathing regularly.  He was elated.  I really thought I was going to lose her.  She's back in with mama and hornless.  If she ever needs anything done again, I'll remind the vet that she had an issue.  

Edited by little cow