RRW,  But a tornado touched in Elk mound, also understand that some tractor-trailer units were blew over on I 94, I got just less than 2 inches of rain.  PD

Who would like to go out on the town tonight?  I am getting tired of being in all the time, but I really wouldn't be any fun as usually ready for bed at 9:00pm.   Ok, so who would like to go out for champagne brunch? 

RRW,  Which town do you want to go to Spooner  or Rice Lake?  Doesn't Spooner roll up the side walks some time after 11PM.   PD

Progress on my projects.

This one will have silver thread quilted into the upper left corner to look like a spider web.
No photo description available.

This one needs the binding and label and it's done.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling

First coats of black and gray gloss paint.
No photo description available.

PD, it is rather sad.  Spooner used to be rather hopping for Fri or Sat night.  Not so much anymore & I am sure RL isn't much different.

Heidi, love your decorative wall quilts.  Especially like the design on the first one.

Those are so cool, Heidi!

PD, glad you're okay.

We just got. back from a trip to Philly.  It was phun!   Amazing historical sites.  We toured the USS New Jersey battleship in Camden, NJ (across the river from Philly).  We actually took a train back and forth to NYC for a day trip.  John had so much fun on the train.  We walked up and down to find the engine (it was in the back).  New Jersey had some pretty towns.  The rest was just interesting to look at.  NYC was awesome.  We paid our respects at the 9/11 Memorial.  

More later.  Off to church.  

Okay, let's try this.  Philadelphia City Hall.  The largest city hall in the US.  You can walk through the arches.  It's really neat.  

IMG_3232.JPG

Very old alley.

USS New Jersey (battleship decommissioned in 1991).  Both LJ and our niece, Ava, really enjoyed this self-guided tour because I was having a great time explaining stuff.  This ship was incredible.  She makes my old ship look like a toy.  And those 16 inch guns are so cool.  

IMG_3247.JPG

IMG_3286.JPG

Times Square.  Not as much room for pedestrians.  UN General Assembly was going on, so traffic was diverted here and there.  

Towering buildings.  All the way down. It was nice to see Washington Square and other green spaces.  

Freedom Tower. Shiny!

WTC site.  Weird being there.

9/11 Memorial.  Very well done.  Prayed and cried there, of course.

IMG_3302.JPG

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3330.JPG

IMG_3334.JPG

We went to a really old Catholic church with fresco paintings.  They filmed "SIxth Sense" there. 

Lastly, the art museum in Philly was amazing.  The outside was beautiful ("Rocky" steps there, lol!).  I added some armor pictures and a neat oil painting of a dog left behind...

These are just a few highlights.  

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG

IMG_3416.JPG

IMG_3427.JPG

IMG_3433.JPG

IMG_3434.JPG

The alley was cool & what a beautiful church.  Now I want to go back to New York for another visit after seeing your vaca.

Thank you for sharing your fun trip.

4 hours ago, noponies said:

People were quite a bit shorter back then too, LC.

There is no way that armor would fit a draft breed.  It all just backs up the theory about knight's horses being stocky, small horses or ponies, instead of drafties.  I wonder if the Native British ponies are descendants from the knight's horses?

Edited by little cow

LC, Your pictures were awesome, I think the one of the Church impressed me the most.  But everything else ran a close second. Take Care,  PD

58 minutes ago, little cow said:

There is no way that armor would fit a draft breed.  It all just backs up the theory about knight's horses being stocky, small horses or ponies, instead of drafties.  I wonder if the Native British ponies are descendants from the knight's horses?

Percherons in France used to be barely 14hh. I'd bet other breeds were similar. I would also bet that shiny armor is a replica, made to fit THAT horse model.

Edited by noponies

34 minutes ago, noponies said:

Percherons in France used to be barely 14hh. I'd bet other breeds were similar. I would also bet that shiny armor is a replica, made to fit THAT horse model.

Nope.  It was real. 

Here is another angle.  It’s flared out to allow movement but the shoulders and hips look pretty narrow.  There is a little room under there, but a fully flexed QH butt would definitely not fit.  Looks like a normal sized small horse or large pony.  

0479E47E-13AA-4A87-8B8E-BBF76BF94628.jpeg

One more.  See the shoulders?  Subtract some because the horse would have to move under there.  

The description stays it’s German armor made for Duke Ulrich of Wurttinberg to ride with other princes when traveling with the Maximillian I when he was to be crowned Holy Roman Emperor (they didn’t go because they couldn’t be given safe passage through Austria).  15th century.  

3EB18961-F5A9-48BF-B96A-3D2F252359A0.jpeg

Edited by little cow

More research suggests a 14 to 15 hand high horse.  Knights needed to be able to mount up themselves while wearing armor.  They actually were proud of vaulting onto their horses’ back in full armor.  They needed a shorter horses.  Average knight had five horses.  Some were taller for traveling or coursing, but battle horses were very valuable and smaller.  Barding a horse was putting armor on him (usually a stallion in Europe because they were trained to bite  and strike during battle).  The armor weighed about 40 lbs for battle and 70 lbs for jousting.  Not that heavy for a strong little horse. The horses were types based on job, rather than breeds.  

Edited by little cow

2 hours ago, jubal said:

Naughty Neigh could probably tell you.

image.png.6f3f0e4a59b440c7420ef70e27d96e18.png

image.png

I have seen her posts.  She must be very wealthy.  Not much on replying, though.  

Haflinger would fit.  Do believe that yes back in the day they did have their breeds for jobs.  As those jobs went away as always those breeds morphed into something a bit different.  Me personally it would be nice to see short horses fashionable again.  Legs don't stretch into stirrups as easy.  Then again the life expectancy of people was very short lived.  Wasn't 45 deemed old at one point.