PD, we ended up getting hay about six mile from the depot.  They were advertised as 4x5 but they weigh a lot more & pd $80 per bale. By the time we were to drive anywhere with our equipment to pick up & deliver the hay that was less $$ the cost would end up the same.  I am really happy with the hay it is probably some of the cleanest I've gotten locally.  For the weight of them hubby figures we are easily getting a full month or bit more out of one bale.  

Canadian Pacific does the Holiday train.  They have a couple that travel across the country & Canada.  We went to the cities to see it last year & really enjoyed it.  The train & locomotive are decked out with holiday lights, there is a baggage car that converts into a stage that they have a band play.  Proceeds earned on the ground usually go to some type of charity.  Def worth going to see..

image.jpeg.de913167844b4e888f2094258f40e11e.jpeg

That train is really neat!

Going on a family trail ride tomorrow to test out LJ's potential horse.  We have been waiting for these folks to sell a good trail horse.  They are a pretty cool veteran's charity and the horses get plenty of saddle time.  The first ride went very well.  He is 15.1, which makes me nervous, but then, LJ is gaining on us in height quickly.  He will probably be taller than both of us by 8th grade.  

https://www.soldiersfreedomoutdoors.org/

The horse for sale is not listed on their website, yet. Since we asked, and we're veterans, the owner texted us about Cutter.  He's a brown Appy with little chestnut spots on his butt.  I guess Appys tend to be in our price range because not many people like them.  Remember Freckles?  We got him going well, but he was an intermediate horse for sure.  LJ is probably close to that level, but he needs a confidence builder.  Freckles went an intermediate rider and is doing quite well.    

Please cross your fingers for us tomorrow.  We'll see if LJ can canter him on the trail.  In my mind, that's the last test.  

Edited by little cow

LC, Sounds like a neat outing, Hope LJ  trial run on Cutter goes very well. Got my finger crossed tried crossing my toes, but having much luck.  Best Wishes.   PD

LJ will be just fine on a 15.1 horse. Appys are great on the trail.  Have ridden a few & really enjoyed how they can go all day & eat up alot of ground.

Here is a good funny for you.  Once had a staffer who was heavily involved with 4H & showing.  In one of the trail classes they were required to dis & remount independently.  Because her horse was so big & couldnt have help from someone, her parents jimmied a rope ladder that they attached to the saddle that could be tied up when not used.  Staffer said everyone got a kick out of the creativity & the working relationship between rider & horse.

Trying to get it in Shortmans head that just because all items are a dollar at the dollar store doesn't mean you just fill up the basket for check out.  Only get what you need.

Just found out someone's horse was attacked by wolves on our lake loop.  Course article doesn't state what side of the lake it happened.  I know of two properties on our side  that have horses.  Not sure about the other.

My Zip & Magoo are OK but I thinking next week it might not be a bad idea to call the USDA-WS for exact location.  On the plus my two are housed in a paddock of corral pannels.  Odie coulde get in but not easily & he's 88lb Newfie mix.  Then you have my my ponies who are sometimes ready to kill whomever steps foot in.

GADS!!!!  Need to get back home. Would put link  to article but apparently can't from phone

The ladder idea is funny!

Wolves?  TImber wolves that are native, or do you have some relocated wolves from elsewhere?  Do you have a barn for them at night?  We have coyotes, like the rest of the country, and we have to worry about our newborn lambs.  We also have plenty of bobcats because we are so near to the state forest.  With the cats, you have to make sure they can't climb in!  We built this overnight stall to lock them up.  The double doors close them in to keep little ones safe.

IMG_0194.JPG

Edited by little cow

Bitsey gave us a scare.  She didn't finish her morning hay Friday.  LJ was helping with chores and noticed she had hay leftover and refused to eat the fresh flake he gave her.  I checked her for gut sounds (she had them), poop (it was present and normal), and no signs of choke or obvious tooth issues.  But she was a little depressed.  I offered her a little feed, which she gobbled greedily.  Still, not good, so I called the vet.  Of course, it's after hours on Friday night.  I walked her out and she kept reaching for the grass.  Well, there's moisture in it and maybe the coastal hay was the culprit, so I let her graze.  She acted starved, as they always do  I let her get some for five minutes, then tied her up and brought her a handful of the orchard hay.  She gobbled it.  I brought her a handful of coastal from another bale, she gobbled it.  I grabbed a handful form her feeder and she refused it.  I looked carefully, smelled carefully; nothing.  I offered a handful to the pony.  He refused it.  Okay, bad flake?  I dumped her hay and put in a fresh flake.  When I put her back in her stall, she ate it up.  I cancelled the vet.  Something yucky must have been in a portion of the bale.  All the others ate from the same bale fine.  Then, last night, while we were feeding, a small mouse emerged from between the bales.  She scampered off before the barn kitty could get her.  We found her nest and cleared all the loose hay and restacked the unopened bales.  Barn kitty may have had a snack last night.  Poor Bitsey!  She told us it was yucky.  Mouse pee, most likely.

LC, Glad there was a simple reason to Bitsey not eating her hay.  Have a question for you, I've heard of coastal hay before,  is that a mix of grass hay, or it a type of bermuda grass hay? I take for granted it is what is grows well there.  PD

LC, glad it was as simple as just a bad spot in the hay.  As for the wolves the population has grown in our area over the past ten years.  We were aware of wolves on our road about two mile SE of our farm on a neighbors property.  However, we never had signs of them in our area.  Rule of thumb is if you no longer have coyotes you have wolves.

LC,   Glad your ride today went well,  & that your new horse will come home, in a matter of time.  Take Care PD

Coastal is bermuda hay, a grass that grows well down here. The protein level is low, however, so I supplement with Equalizer.  Coastal works for us because our horses are easy keepers.  Many will feed orchard, alfalfa, peanut hay (another native), timothy, or a mixture because coastal has a reputation for causing colic in some horses.  I had one horse mildly colic from it, so I fed her orchard instead.  Orchard, timothy, and alfalfa are expensive down here because it gets shipped from up north.  Our native pastures are bahia or bermuda grasses, which do not cause any issues.  

Edited by little cow

LC,   Thanks for explaining just what coastal hay is. I know different grasses & legumes grow better in certain areas. I generally feed a mixed grass hay with a bit of red clover or alfalfa in it. It is generally easy to find, & makes for a good mix for horses or beef cattle. Hay prices are higher this year. If I'm going have to pay big prices for hay, I prefer to buy it right from the farmer, so there is no middle man profiting off it. PD

PD once bought hay from a so called broker.  The price was fair but the following years I bought directly from the farmer & got a much better deal.

Got another wet day here.  On the bright side you don't have to shovel rain.

RRW,  Thee are times when a hay broker can be your best friend, especially if hay is in short supply.  I bought most of my hay as early as possible, as there was talk prices were going to go through the roof.  Hay is higher, but not to extreme some were thinking, or should I say hoping it would go to. I bought 120 small squares, 6 big squares, & 15 round bales, now I think I'll get through the winter a long ways with just the round bales.  But this year I'm unrolling them & feeding them, to check for mold, & hopefully less waste. We'll see if my plan works very well.  If not at least it will be good exercise.  PD

LJ is size 14 for saddles. I adjusted my size 15 and punched holes to raise the stirrups, but not high enough.  We are thinking about getting him a 14 synthetic youth saddle.  Any opinions on synthetic saddles?  I've never owned one, but it's work maintaining leather in our weather.

LC,  There are different qualities of synthetic saddles, as long as it fits the horse well, & LJ, I guess that is al that is important. PD

Hey everyone! Just checking in. I need to go back a couple pages and catch up but just wanted to swing by and say hello and let everyone know that I'm doing ok. The weather has been gorgeous and Ive been riding Sonic, although we've had a couple days of much needed rain here. My old Jenna dog has finally let me know that shes ready to go, so the vet will be coming to my house tomorrow to put her to sleep in the yard where she's familiar. My landlord has been gracious enough to let me bury her there, and he's coming with the tractor tomorrow morning. I'll give her a can of food tonight, a nice warm bath and some kisses. Saying goodbye is never easy, but shes lived a good long life.

QB, I am sorry about your beloved Jenna.  The two of you had many years of love & it is hard to say good bye.  However, she will always be with you on the sofa, in the kitchen & on the farm or when you are out for a walk.  Hugs to you.

PD, I have always pulled off the rounds to feed my monsters & have done rather well feeding that way.  This summer with hubby feeding he managed to skinny down the two Hoovers & now with the weather slowly getting colder they will get more.

LC what I like about the idea of synthetic is you dont have the weight when tacking up.  Also don't have to worry if it gets wet.  I'd say just do a little research on what brand you are thing of getting.  Can't wait to see pic of your new boy.

QB, sorry to hear about Jenna.  I pray the day goes well for you both.

RRW, I found out he's a size 13.  Maybe even a 12, but he grows too fast, so we'll go a little big.  I ordered a brand I was familiar with through a tack store.  They had cheaper ones out there on a major website, but I have never heard of "Acerugs" and I wasn't taking any chances.  

Here's Cutter.  Not much to look at, but he's sweet and steady.  Brown horse with Appy characteristics and some chestnut spots, if you look closely.  He's pasture kept, so he'll shine up a bit in our barn.  

IMG_3549.JPG

Oh my!  I had to share this ad with you guys.  They claim their donkeys are part zebra.  Having owned several donkeys, I see nothing unusual about these guys.  They have dun stripes on their legs, so I think the person is assuming they are part zebra because they see stripes!  That's the trouble when you "a**-u-me".  You make an azz out of u and me, lol!

https://ocala.craigslist.org/grd/d/citra-donkeys-for-adoption/7004368049.html

Edited by little cow

Oh I really like him & his coloring. His spots look like when you spray water on tacky paint & then dries.

With the synthetic saddle I go with one of the two top brands.

LC, I like Cutters looks, but most important is that  he takes good care of LJ.  he looks like a laid back horse, & that is what you needs for a youth. I think he'll serve you well. Take Care,  PD

Thanks, guys!  His hoof angle was better in person, thank goodness.  LJ cantered for the first time on Cutter.  He's had a bit of a mental block about it, but Cutter helped him get through.  Cutter's fast trot is a bit jarring, so I'm working on posting with LJ.  He comes home 11/22.  

Edited by little cow

Neighborhood pig is back.

It's in our horse trailer.  Neighbor gave up on it.  She says it keeps getting out.  No one, and I mean no one, wants an intact boar pot bellied pig, no matter how friendly.  No rescues will take it in.  Pound doesn't take in pigs.  Somehow this is my problem. I hate pigs.  We don't have a pig enclosure.  It's getting hot.  People suck.  

4H show project?????  Thats all I could come up with for the pig.  Unless you are a true lover of your pot belly pig pet I don't get the concept of having one.  Do you have truffles in your area?  You could use the pig to go truffle hunting.  Sorry I am not much help with finding a solution.

Wire corn cribs make for good pig pens.

1 hour ago, little cow said:

Neighborhood pig is back.

It's in our horse trailer.  Neighbor gave up on it.  She says it keeps getting out.  No one, and I mean no one, wants an intact boar pot bellied pig, no matter how friendly.  No rescues will take it in.  Pound doesn't take in pigs.  Somehow this is my problem. I hate pigs.  We don't have a pig enclosure.  It's getting hot.  People suck.  

One word:: sausage