jubal,    I wish you well if you take Jubal tp a public trail, but if there is a stable there, that gives lessons, they might be able to give you alot of pointers, to help with any problems that come up. I do alot of talking to my horses, & a calm voice, I think helps them deal with alot of situations. My TWH gelding can get easily rattled, & has been scared of dogs, deer, & anything that might be lurking in the shadows,  this year he has been better about facing the things that scare him.  This year my desire to ride, has been in consistant, so hard to gain ground, when you start from square one all the time. PD

I'm really not looking for pointers from them, PD. I need brute strength. I'm not as strong as I used to be. So far, I've been able to manage  Jubal when he's in flight mode. And I have no problem when he spooks under saddle. But in a strange place, after a trailer ride, trying to tack him up? I don't know. I just need backup the first time.

3 hours ago, jubal said:

Heidi, have the trails all been cleared from the earlier storms in your riding park?

I rode that way Friday and there is only one area left.  It is where the big tree went down across the trail and took out another big tree next to the trail and that 2nd tree's roots pulled up a huge hole in the center of the riding trail.  They have the trunks all bucked up and to the side but they need to do something with the stump and finish filling/tamping the hole.  I hope they will have it done within the next week or so.  They've made a lot of progress in the last 3wks.

51 minutes ago, jubal said:

I'm really not looking for pointers from them, PD. I need brute strength. I'm not as strong as I used to be. So far, I've been able to manage  Jubal when he's in flight mode. And I have no problem when he spooks under saddle. But in a strange place, after a trailer ride, trying to tack him up? I don't know. I just need backup the first time.

jubal,   I hope you can find the back up you need. Sorry if I offended you in any way.  PD

Jubal, I understand getting an excited horse safety off a trailer plus tacking up. When we hauled in to a race track, it took two of us to handle them. I never did it by myself.

I had a nightmare last night. It woke me up petrified! The dream went from shooters to zombies! I need to quit watching the news!

Yesterday was 90 and today 50's. I can't get used to the cooler weather.

I usually take Sunday off but decided I need to get a few things done.

Everyone have a great day.

I had a nightmare (for me) last night, too!

I dreamed my husband and I moved to a run down apartment complex where the other tenants were aggressive and somehow our cats got out and I couldn't find them.  It was awful, but before I woke up, I finally found the missing cats.

PD, it would take a lot more than that to offend me!

Danyel, were the shooters in your dream people with guns or alcohol shooters? My bad dreams always involve people chasing me. I guess it's because I doubt if I could run any more.

46 minutes ago, jubal said:

PD, it would take a lot more than that to offend me

jubal,  Here in cyberspace, you don't know what words might offend people, so I like to cover all the bases. Plus some men don't respect women, & I don't want to be one of them.     Must be getting old, our oldest daughter turned 42 today, & oldest grandaughter turned 15,   I got a dirty look, when I reminded her she was over 40.

Hmm, I too had nightmares last night. Awful. Woke up to a sweat soaked bed too.

Yall please help me! The mini babies (Margarita and June) are COVERED in burrs! We usually brush them everyday but Ive had to work these past 2 days so they havent been brushed. Their whole little bodies are covered. Margaritas tail was even stuck to her body. What can I use to loosen them enough to brush them out? We've been using Satin Sheen (cheaper version of Show Sheen) on manes and tails. Would coconut oil work? Or am I gonna have to buy a couple bottles of Satin Sheen? Oh god yall, I wish I had pics to post of them.

30 minutes ago, QueenBAW said:

Yall please help me! The mini babies (Margarita and June) are COVERED in burrs! We usually brush them everyday but Ive had to work these past 2 days so they havent been brushed. Their whole little bodies are covered. Margaritas tail was even stuck to her body. What can I use to loosen them enough to brush them out? We've been using Satin Sheen (cheaper version of Show Sheen) on manes and tails. Would coconut oil work? Or am I gonna have to buy a couple bottles of Satin Sheen? Oh god yall, I wish I had pics to post of them.

Try baby oil on the burrs, it's supposed to make them slide right out.

19 minutes ago, equicrzy said:

Try baby oil on the burrs, it's supposed to make them slide right out.

Ahha! Yes! Thank you SO much!

33 minutes ago, QueenBAW said:

Ahha! Yes! Thank you SO much!

You're very welcome!

9 hours ago, QueenBAW said:

Yes must have pics! I've never seen burrballs before.

Use silicone spray.  Spray it on & let it sit then work it out by hand.

Had a critter sitter that was just about killed by my bare hands.  She was a know it all & didn't listen to directions.  She left the gate unlocked & Tucker got out.

Came home to a horse with a tail that looked like a paint roller because it was full of burs.  Then his mane was just as bad.  Took 2 days to get him cleaned up.  The silicone spray worked wonders.

No matter the product it still has to get washed out.  I dipped his tail in warm bucket of water & washed with conditioner.  The mane was rage washed.

I go out to feed this morning, put the hay in the feeders and, walk over to check the water.

I have two half barrels, sitting in an insulated wooden box, with a lid and two holes cut out for drinking.

I check the one, it's down some, but, enough to where I don't have to fill it just yet. I look in the other and, it looks like someone put in a grey wool sweater. I raised the lid for a closer look.....it's three young squirrels. Drowned, of course.

So, now I'm out there emptying and scrubbing out both half barrels, my fingers are starting to hurt from the cold.....water is like ice...... I check every morning, but, I'm extra glad I did this morning.

1 hour ago, equicrzy said:

I go out to feed this morning, put the hay in the feeders and, walk over to check the water.

I have two half barrels, sitting in an insulated wooden box, with a lid and two holes cut out for drinking.

I check the one, it's down some, but, enough to where I don't have to fill it just yet. I look in the other and, it looks like someone put in a grey wool sweater. I raised the lid for a closer look.....it's three young squirrels. Drowned, of course.

So, now I'm out there emptying and scrubbing out both half barrels, my fingers are starting to hurt from the cold.....water is like ice...... I check every morning, but, I'm extra glad I did this morning.

Been pretty dry there?  I used to keep a flat pan of water out in dry weather. Critters want to drink too,  and that keeps them from drowning themselves.

Edited by noponies

20 minutes ago, noponies said:

Been pretty dry there?  I used to keep a flat pan of water out in dry weather. Critters want to drink too,  and that keeps them from drowning themselves.

It's been a little dry. This is the first time I've encountered this, so, it never dawned on me to put out a flat pan of water.  I m going to, now, though...... I felt so bad for the poor little things.

Don't have stock tanks and such, but I still keep an old pie tin full of water tucked away in a flower bed in dry weather.

I rode the yeller mare this weekend!

My adopted sister and her husband came to see us, mom hasn't seen her in over 20 years. when we were kids, SHE was the one with huge bewbs, and used to hate riding with me, because my horse liked to trot, hers liked to keep up, lol!

This was the first time I rode Bunny, she has been trying to launch Jesse. So he rode her first, got bucked off, got back on, took her around the block, then held and led her for a bit for me. She did good!

FB_IMG_1508010830311.jpg

IMG_20171014_120905_526.jpg

Equicrzy Ive had squirrels drown in my stock tanks before. I felt so bad about it and even buried the poor things. 

I grabbed some baby oil today and Im heading to the farm soon. Ill gets pics of the little burr balls before we lube them up.

10 minutes ago, QueenBAW said:

Equicrzy Ive had squirrels drown in my stock tanks before. I felt so bad about it and even buried the poor things. 

I grabbed some baby oil today and Im heading to the farm soon. Ill gets pics of the little burr balls before we lube them up.

:D

When I took them from the tank, I laid them in the grass outside the corral.....there were three....I just now went out to dispose of them (bury) and, two are gone.

Hawk? Wait, the other 'family' members don't do stuff like that, do they?  It's sad to think the Mama squirrel took her dead babies.

I'm being ridiculous, aren't I?

2 hours ago, equicrzy said:

When I took them from the tank, I laid them in the grass outside the corral.....there were three....I just now went out to dispose of them (bury) and, two are gone.

Hawk? Wait, the other 'family' members don't do stuff like that, do they?  It's sad to think the Mama squirrel took her dead babies.

I'm being ridiculous, aren't I?

Nah the mamas dont take them. Probably something else looking for lunch. I understand how you feel though. Having had raised a squirrel before that happened to me, it made me sick inside. Im so sorry for you.