Did you read the part that said it is an aspiration hazard? "If swallowed it can enter the lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis, severe lung damage and death." Humans can read the product information. Animals can't.

Ill look for an undercoat brush this weekend. For now Im just using a mane comb.  Now, any ideas on how to get to their bellies to deburr them? I dont bend quite that low, lol. Maybe I can teach them to lay down and roll over like a dog...lol just kidding.

Ok so now, Ive got a question for you guys. I have rules at the barn, the girls are well aware. Teamwork is not optional and I dont deal with bossyness or a bad attitude. Well, the other day I sent Zarinna home because of her bad attitude..except she didnt go home. She decided to ignore my request for her to go home and went out into the field to pet one of the horses that we dont do anything with. Emmy and I finished up the evening together. This is the second time Ive sent Zarinna home for a bad attitude. The first time I texted her mom to let her know. I didnt even bother this time because the kid gets away with murder at home. My question is....should I require an apology from Zarinna before I spend my time letting her ride etc? And how much attitude should I put up with before I just tell her Im not riding with/teaching her anymore?

15 minutes ago, jubal said:

Did you read the part that said it is an aspiration hazard? "If swallowed it can enter the lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis, severe lung damage and death." Humans can read the product information. Animals can't.

Don't spray it in their noses. Problem solved. :rotf:

Yes, by all means, lets give no thought to the future and its possible cancers and such. Why are people so short-sighted?

16 minutes ago, QueenBAW said:

Ill look for an undercoat brush this weekend. For now Im just using a mane comb.  Now, any ideas on how to get to their bellies to deburr them? I dont bend quite that low, lol. Maybe I can teach them to lay down and roll over like a dog...lol just kidding.

Ok so now, Ive got a question for you guys. I have rules at the barn, the girls are well aware. Teamwork is not optional and I dont deal with bossyness or a bad attitude. Well, the other day I sent Zarinna home because of her bad attitude..except she didnt go home. She decided to ignore my request for her to go home and went out into the field to pet one of the horses that we dont do anything with. Emmy and I finished up the evening together. This is the second time Ive sent Zarinna home for a bad attitude. The first time I texted her mom to let her know. I didnt even bother this time because the kid gets away with murder at home. My question is....should I require an apology from Zarinna before I spend my time letting her ride etc? And how much attitude should I put up with before I just tell her Im not riding with/teaching her anymore?

YES!! If you don't insist on respect, you won't ever get it.

47 minutes ago, noponies said:

YES!! If you don't insist on respect, you won't ever get it.

Thats my thought too. Im sure the next time I go to the barn she will come beebopin down like nothing ever happened, like the time before. I think Ill tell her to go back home, that shes not riding and that Ill be expecting an apology the next time I come down to ride. Ive thought too that if she doesnt go home, then Ill take her by the hand and walk her home. Her attitude and behavior is uncalled for but I want to make sure that my response/actions are appropriate as well. 

What if you told her that due to her previous disrespectful behavior you expect an apology from her before she can ride?  Then, if she won't give it, walk her home and explain there will be no horse-time until the apology is given.

1 hour ago, noponies said:

Yes, by all means, lets give no thought to the future and its possible cancers and such. Why are people so short-sighted?

:rotf:We're all terminal, all dying of something. (Shrugs). I was just offering a tried and true method I have used for years, and haven't found anything better, to help with another BB's issue. Not trying to kill off the human & equine race. None of my animals, clients' animals, or children have developed pneumonia or tumors from getting burrs out. I'm sure there are MANY more mechanics that use the product on a daily basis that aren't hooked to life support or locked in a Leper colony.  We're dealing with burrs matted in fur, not open heart surgery. :crazy:

33 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

What if you told her that due to her previous disrespectful behavior you expect an apology from her before she can ride?  Then, if she won't give it, walk her home and explain there will be no horse-time until the apology is given.

I think she'll definitely apologize but not really mean it if all she has to do is apologize before she gets to ride. I think if I turn her away the next time shes expecting to ride and tell her that because of her attitude she wont be riding that day, it will maybe make her think about what she did. Of course Id expect an apology the next time I allow her to ride.

5 minutes ago, QueenBAW said:

I think she'll definitely apologize but not really mean it if all she has to do is apologize before she gets to ride. I think if I turn her away the next time shes expecting to ride and tell her that because of her attitude she wont be riding that day, it will maybe make her think about what she did. Of course Id expect an apology the next time I allow her to ride.

I think you are right.

I see your point, now.  You have to make this *mean* something or she won't associate her behavior with a negative consequence if she can just flippantly say an "I'm sorry" and go back to doing what she wants.

Queen, she has already been punished for the bad behavior by being sent away last time. I think she needs another chance. And then, I'd just continue to send her away  any  time she cops an attitude. She's testing you, probably because there's no consistency at home. When she finds out you mean it, she'll most likely straighten out. And she makes you frustrated which is a win for her. The hardest thing to do is be your same, open self every time she comes over. Then, it will be pleasant to be around you and not so pleasant for her if she acts out. It's sort of like dealing with animals. You have to be pleasant and calm when they behave, and punish them only when they don't.

It's a great thing you're doing for those kids. I know of a man who, as a boy, would have been a juvenile delinquent if my dad had not taken an interest in him. He taught him how to work on cars and kept him busy when his parents were too busy to spend time with him. He grew up to be a great husband and father (and managed a tire store.)

Edited by jubal

2 hours ago, jubal said:

Queen, she has already been punished for the bad behavior by being sent away last time. I think she needs another chance. And then, I'd just continue to send her away  any  time she cops an attitude. She's testing you, probably because there's no consistency at home. When she finds out you mean it, she'll most likely straighten out. And she makes you frustrated which is a win for her. The hardest thing to do is be your same, open self every time she comes over. Then, it will be pleasant to be around you and not so pleasant for her if she acts out. It's sort of like dealing with animals. You have to be pleasant and calm when they behave, and punish them only when they don't.

It's a great thing you're doing for those kids. I know of a man who, as a boy, would have been a juvenile delinquent if my dad had not taken an interest in him. He taught him how to work on cars and kept him busy when his parents were too busy to spend time with him. He grew up to be a great husband and father (and managed a tire store.)

We werent riding that day, which is what she wanted to do. We were grooming instead, and she didnt want to do that. So by her being sent home for a bad attitude for something she didn't even want to do to begin with, really wasnt a punishment....she got out of having to groom. And then she defied me by not going home at all and going out in the field to pet another horse while watching what Emmy and I were doing the whole time. 

1 hour ago, QueenBAW said:

We werent riding that day, which is what she wanted to do. We were grooming instead, and she didnt want to do that. So by her being sent home for a bad attitude for something she didn't even want to do to begin with, really wasnt a punishment....she got out of having to groom. And then she defied me by not going home at all and going out in the field to pet another horse while watching what Emmy and I were doing the whole time. 

Okay. I didn't understand that.

2 hours ago, QueenBAW said:

I think, she needs to be told, she won't be riding or, coming to the barn at all, until/unless she changes her attitude....I mean, you don't have to allow her to ride at all, you're doing it for HER and, you can stop at any time if she doesn't start showing.you some respect.

She's beginning to take you and, what you're doing for her, for granted.

Her home situation is unfortunate, but, you aren't her mother.

Well guess I should be dead by this stage of life.  Diesel fuel & fumes.  Heavy duty paint stripper.  Using heat paint strip gun & usually bo gloves worn.  Putting up hay no dust mask. Oh can't forget the paint thinner.

Again silicone spray.  This was a tip given by a HC member so I chose to try it.  Glad I did.  Tucker didnt die or go bald, his beautiful tail continued to touch the ground.

Oh & thanks to Red's experience I learned what a matt was & how to properly remove them. Joys of getting a breed of dog who loves to matt up.  

QB the metal mane comb works but something with smaller teeth would be better.

Okay, I've been persuaded! I'm headed to the barn to spray my horse with WD40 and I'l put some on his hay for good measure. Then I'll spray a lttle on my cereal! And from now on, I'm going to ignore the hazard warnings on any product label. After all, I know they're probably just there to keep you from buying the product.

Heidi, I'm glad to see your new horse arrived safely and seems to be making himself at home.

WD-40 drops wasps right out of the air.  I learned that in extremis one day.   

There I was, minding my own business and I was assaulted by wasps.  They were coming at me like Japanese zeros at Pearl Harbor.   The only thing in reach was that lovely can of lubricant with it's long beloved straw....I snatched it up and aimed at one of the little kamikazes.    Sssshhhhhhttt!!  (Not cussing....no"'I"  :D).  The spray hit him and made his wings too heavy to fly.  He dropped like a rock.  Then, it was a matter of squishing him with my boot.  Now, the game had changed.  I shot at the little nasties while weaving and ducking to avoid their counterattacks.  When it was all over, there was nothing left of the wasps except greasy little spots on the ground.  

10 hours ago, equicrzy said:

I think, she needs to be told, she won't be riding or, coming to the barn at all, until/unless she changes her attitude....I mean, you don't have to allow her to ride at all, you're doing it for HER and, you can stop at any time if she doesn't start showing.you some respect.

She's beginning to take you and, what you're doing for her, for granted.

Her home situation is unfortunate, but, you aren't her mother.

Ive told her exactly that a dozen times. Told her the other day that perhaps I wouldn't be back for her to ride again at all. Her response was "I think after today *I* just wont come back at all" in a real snide tone. I told her that would be fine, I wouldnt have to deal with her bad attitude anymore. This kid is 10 but has the attitude of a 16 year old. Ugh.

1 hour ago, jubal said:

Okay, I've been persuaded! I'm headed to the barn to spray my horse with WD40 and I'l put some on his hay for good measure. Then I'll spray a lttle on my cereal! And from now on, I'm going to ignore the hazard warnings on any product label. After all, I know they're probably just there to keep you from buying the product.

Heidi, I'm glad to see your new horse arrived safely and seems to be making himself at home.

Old people know nothing, right? We are all crazy. Never learned a thing in all those years. 

S'up, Red?   :huggy:  We almost got blown away with Hurricane Irma, but we held on tight.  Hope things are going well up there where you freeze your nubbies off (I'm not sure what nubbies are, but they sound important).

Edited by little cow

2 hours ago, noponies said:

Old people know nothing, right? We are all crazy. Never learned a thing in all those years. 

Yes,  sooner or later, you get old (if you're  lucky.) Then you start to remember all those things you shouldn't have done when you were younger. By the way, WD40 tastes delicious on Pecan Crunch cereal. And I found a new use for it. If you spray it on your dishes, dried food slides right off!