Majik - sorry about that fall - glad you are mending and ready for the rematch!

Heidi - Leo looks great!

8 hours ago, Majik13 said:

Heidi, two years ago, the first ride after getting a plate and screw in my ankle,  she spun away before I had a leg over and I landed on my tailbone.  So I know JUST how that feels.  Still hurts sometimes to this day.

DANG!  I couldn't believe how sore it was and how long it was painful.  Why do we even have tailbones anyways?  You'd think they'd be gone by now.  Evolution is so slow!  LOL

I can believe how sore a fractured tailbone can be, had one myself.

It took forever to be comfortable riding in a car long distances.... sitting anywhere, for that matter.

It took months to just become tolerable.

Rematch went beautifully.  She was perfect.  Galloped up the same hill, no reaction.  Probably because she knew I was paying attention to her every move!  Then we took lead on the new trail loop we cut a couple weeks ago.  Lots of slanty trail and downed trees to step over.  No issues.  Of course we did spook at a killer forest squirrel.  We don't however, spook at the 30 motorcycles passing a couple feet away on the brief time we're on the road.  Sometimes I wonder about her thought processes.

Glad you won the rematch, Majik.

Squirrels are sneaky, motorcycles not so much. Jubal startles at squirrels too, even though they're plentiful here.

^^^Good grass and good hay. If you have one that's a hard keeper, I fed Purina Senior to my old guy. He lived to 29.

Quality grass and hay, a good mineral balanced for horses, and grain ONLY if that isn't enough to maintain. More people OVERfeed horses than UNDERfeed.

Edited by noponies

Guess I should go into a little detail why Im going cuckoo...lol.

I grain my horses (3 this year) during the fall/winter months. Ive been feeding Triple Crown Senior for years and the horses do very well on it, however with the buyout, Im leary that the formula will change/price will go up/availability wont be as good. So after some research and talking with fellow horse owners, this fall I decided to go with Sentinel LS. One scoop for Sonic and Mr. Butters and a tuna fish can scoop of MaxEGlo. Once a day. Dont worry, I did start slow and built up to the full scoop. The Appy gets a handful of Sentinel just to make her happy. Im debating wether I should work up to 2 scoops but other horse owners have said that I shouldnt have to feed as much Sentinel as I did TCS, which was another reason I was happy to make the switch. I guess just having fed TCS for so long that Im leary that the Sentinel will get the job done...cuckoo right? Should I add alfalfa pellets? Beet pulp? (I just bought a bag) I should probably be feeding in the mornings too but workday mornings are difficult..and very early. Add to all of that insecurity...Mr. Butters has diarrhea. I *think* its because I put him in the paddock that has a lot of grass the night before last...for 2 reasons..One because the grass in there needs to be mowed and I figured Id just let Mr. Butters and the Appy mow it naturally and two because I think the old fart is going deaf...so on nights that I blanket when I have to work the next day, Im putting him in the paddock so I dont have to search 50 acres in the dark at 5am for him thinking hes dead when in reality he just didnt hear me whistling for him.

Ugh lord....Im going cuckoo.

Oh, and to top things off...Zarinna hasnt been back to ride but knows that she owes me an apology....AND..her parents are splitting.

I give my horses some grain for a treat every morning,  I also give my aged mare, alfalfa cubes soaked in water, during the winter months,  I'll admit, I do spoil her,  my geldings stay fat on  first cut, mixed grass hay.  PD

When I had to fatten up Tucker he got nutrena senior once a day.  Once he got to a good weight then I stopped with the grain.  My ponies are dry lot.  The get a very nice grass blend hay.  Morning throw a teaser over the fence & night they are fed heavier.  I get paranoid in the winter & give more.

My 28 yr old arab/appy mare is on two scoops of Sentinal Senior and one scoop sweet once a day.  Going to have to get her teeth floated.  Keep putting it off because she tries to kill the vet and farrier, but she needs to put on some weight.  Going to start adding hay stretcher.  Everybody else is plump and shiny on one scoop of sweet feed.  They all get good hay once the grass is gone for the year.

What is it with Appys and children anyway? Most I've seen were grumpy for adults to deal with, but they all seem to love small children.

4 minutes ago, noponies said:

What is it with Appys and children anyway? Most I've seen were grumpy for adults to deal with, but they all seem to love small children.

I had a small appy mare that didn't like men, hated the vet but loved my granddaughters and me. She passed away at age 30. I still miss the grumpy old girl.

Having had my back broken by a nutty Appy mare years ago, I cant say Im much of an Appy fan. But, I saved this mare a good year ago along with Mr. Butters. She had lost all her hair, almost completely blind in one eye, and was an ugly skinny mess. She was down, and not at all interested in food. But, we got her up, loaded her and took her home where all she needed was a good betadine scrubbing, deworming, and to be turned out on some good grass for a few months. Her hair grew back in, and once her weight was good I took her for many test rides before I let the kids on her. Her history isnt well known, I get conflicting stories, or stories that dont make sense....like shes only green broke, which doesnt make sense to me when this mare has never put a foot wrong and has the nicest western jog. Shes been great with the kids, and thats all that matters to me.

12 hours ago, QueenBAW said:

Having had my back broken by a nutty Appy mare years ago, I cant say Im much of an Appy fan. But, I saved this mare a good year ago along with Mr. Butters. She had lost all her hair, almost completely blind in one eye, and was an ugly skinny mess. She was down, and not at all interested in food. But, we got her up, loaded her and took her home where all she needed was a good betadine scrubbing, deworming, and to be turned out on some good grass for a few months. Her hair grew back in, and once her weight was good I took her for many test rides before I let the kids on her. Her history isnt well known, I get conflicting stories, or stories that dont make sense....like shes only green broke, which doesnt make sense to me when this mare has never put a foot wrong and has the nicest western jog. Shes been great with the kids, and thats all that matters to me.

I think "green broke" means "I don't know how to ride"  to a lot of people. Good for you giving her a chance.

QB,  Looks like this Appy mare, has turned from a down & out mare,  has proven herself to be a reliable mount. I ride geldings right now, but my best trail horses, have been two mares I once owned,  both had more try, than either gelding I ride now.  Glad you have found that diamond in the rough, & made it a real jewel.  Best Wishes. PD

QueenBAW, oh boy, her parents split up?  Poor kid.  That could explain the attitude.  Kids can lose it a little when that happens.

Nice Appy, BTW.

I don't know if I can help much with the feeding question.  We feed clean hay, but it's coastal.  The other hay down here is very expensive.  SOme people buy these huge alfalfa blocks and put them in their pastures for free choice.  Can't do that with our three.  We pick long stemmed coastal that is clean and fresh (and as sand free as possible) That's the best we can do.  With that, however, our horse, pony and donkey need supplemental protein.  We use Enrich or similar product.  We also give our 28 year old Morgan mare low carb senior feed.  The 18 year old Shetland gets the same and the yearling donkey gets just a little low carb grain.  All three are easy keepers that are prone to obesity and Cushings.  Just following the vet's recommendation on their grain.

Edited by little cow

Question about stocking up.  In other words, our 28 year old has some swelling in all four of her fetlocks after even a short ride.  No heat.  No discomfort.  No swelling anywhere else (belly, etc...).  We are just getting her back into work.  I just bought a nice set of standing wraps (my old ones were not in good shape).  My question is, should I just do standing wraps after her ride, or some sort of boot or support during the ride as well?  She only does about 20 minutes of mostly walking right now.  Vet deemed her healthy at recent check up.  Whether she is in her paddock or pasture after the ride makes no difference in her stocking up.  I think wrapping overnight after her ride should suffice to bring the swelling down.  It may go away as she gets used to regular riding.  

If it's going down on its own and not causing lameness, I'd just let nature take its course. Wrapping sometimes just makes it worse.

Happy Birthday Heidi.  Neat picture of you & your husband, a Very Nice looking couple.  Hope you had a great day, & a good ride.

little cow,  A 28 year old horse, is bound to have a few issues, but glad you can enjoy short rides on her yet.  do hope the swelling becomes less of a problem.  Best Wishes. PD

Missed that birthday picture. Happy Birthday, Heidi! If I were still having birthdays, mine would have been the day before. Viva las Scorpios! (or is that scorpias?)