Happy birthday, Jubal!  BIL's b-day is the 1st and my nephew's b-day is the same as yours.  Scorpios rule!  LOL

jubal,  I missed you, So Happy Belated Birthday. Now doubt you are 29, that is a good age to stop counting at.  Best Wishes.  PD

3 hours ago, jubal said:

Thanks, PD. I don't even remember 29.

My memory of 29 is fading fast,  but that is okay, as somethings are worth forgetting.  PD

I think I'm gonna kill him....not pistol, my husband.

So, he was home all last week and, since he gets up earlier than I, he feeds the horses and, in the evening too, because I'm usually fixing dinner around that time.

He's back at work this morning, so, I went out to feed and, I'm looking at Sam and, he doesn't look right, kind of hard to tell, because of winter hair, but, definitely doesn't look right.

I run my hands down his barrel, to his underside and, omg, there's this huge swollen ridge, horizontal ridge, running parallel on both sides of his barrel, down low, like, almost underneath and, his sheath is so swollen I don't know if he can even pee!

My husband says, when I call him at work and ask....."wow, he was fine yesterday."........no, he could not have been, that isn't something that happened overnight.

Sam is still chipper, he was impatient for his breakfast this morning and, proceeded to flip it out of the feeder as soon as I put it in, like always, but, he has got to be uncomfortable.

It's been too cold for sheath cleaning, I usually do it during the summer, but, it couldn't be that, could it? Not to that extent? To cause swelling like that, on both sides?......Sams always had a particularly dirty sheath, I was cleaning it 2 or 3 times a year in Arizona, but, here the water is very cold, coming from a 300' well.

Well, I'm already taking Pistol to the vet for his last set of shots......

Edited by equicrzy

Yes, that COULD happen overnight. Give the poor guy a break. Snakebite, some spiders, or a well-placed kick could do it.

3 minutes ago, noponies said:

Yes, that COULD happen overnight. Give the poor guy a break. Snakebite, some spiders, or a well-placed kick could do it.

I wouldn't really kill him....lol.... snake bite? Not very likely this time of year. Spider? Now that's a possibility, Sam doesn't appear to be sick, though. Well placed kick, yeah, the mare does rule the roost, or, in this case, the barn and, I have seen her lay her ears back at him and, chase him off......but, BOTH sides of his barrel?

If she hit him in the right spot, then yes, both sides would swell. Closely related, and all that. Like if you get hit in the bridge of the nose, both eyes turn black.

27 minutes ago, noponies said:

If she hit him in the right spot, then yes, both sides would swell. Closely related, and all that. Like if you get hit in the bridge of the nose, both eyes turn black.

I'm really praying for something simple, that will work itself out on its own. I'm gonna go out and see if I can make an attempt to clean the sheath, it's so swollen though, I don't know if it's possible......I'll have to get some hot water from the washer hookup and, mix with cold, but.....I'm not sure I can even get a hose up in there.

The vet has no spots available for equines, I was wondering if I could bring Sam when I took pistol, but, it's a no go......she says there will not even be an equine vet in, until Thursday.

Oh, DO be gentle! I shudder for him. I think I would do cool hosing til the swelling went town some.

8 minutes ago, noponies said:

Oh, DO be gentle! I shudder for him. I think I would do cool hosing til the swelling went town some.

I've got plenty of cold water!  Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.

Oh, my husband said he'd do  the sheath cleaning....he's coming home early today.... I really would like to see that, he's never done it, hasn't  even watched me do it.

1 hour ago, Heidi n Q said:

I hope Sam feels better soon!  

Thanks. I hope Leo is better too!

Well, just, EF.  

Yesterday I was coming down with something - sinuses hurt, nose was running a marathon, throat was getting sore and by the time Leo ran through the fence, my R ear was starting to ache.  By about 10pm, my ear was hurting so bad I started considering the Emergency Dept.  The only thing that held me back was knowing the E-Dept did *nothing* helpful for my nephew when I took him a couple summers ago for an ear ache.  I rummaged in the cupboard and found some antibiotics (Abx products previously used for ENT issues) and took one.  I also took some cough syrup that had hydrocodone in it.  

I was watching TV with my head tilted completely sideways so my ear didn't hurt and I couldn't get to sleep until about 5am.  Not from pain, but because I couldn't settle on any one thing and kept wandering around the house, starting a project and then wondering what I was doing.  

Felt better this morning when I got up and took another Abx.  Was still stuffed but my ear didn't hurt like it had so I knew the Abx were working.  Went to work and handled it well with cough drops, cetirizine and nasal spray.  When I got home, I felt I needed to blow my nose so I did so in the downstairs half bath.  I blew hard, my L ear popped and I got dizzy!  Steadied myself, but when I took a step to exit out of the bathroom the hall tilted and dumped me on the floor.  Husband came and helped me up, holding on to me until the dizziness passed.  Which it did shortly afterwards.  Now I feel as if I am hearing everything from underwater.  

Now I'm afraid to blow my nose.  o.0

I don't but my friend Kim was talking about getting me to use one just the other night.  She has had a lifetime of sinus issues since she was 14 and lost an eye to cancer and had radiation therapy.  It really messed up her sinuses and she says the neti pot really helps her.

My husband decided he didn't want to do anything with Sam if I wasn't here, he's not comfortable enough to attempt anything on his own and, I had to run Pistol to the vet.

Got home at 4, checked Sam and, dear Lord!  He looks horrible, in just that short period, his barrel looks more swollen and, now, so is his chest. I saw him urinate so I know he can, but, he can't drop. 

Immediately went inside and called the vet I had just left, she told me, again, the equine vet was not there and wouldn't be until later in the week.....

So, I remembered there's a vet in Grants, 50+ miles in the other direction and, asked, if I could please get an appointment as soon as possible.  They were closing in about an hour, there was no way I could get the trailer hooked up and Sam loaded and, make it in an hour.  She'll work me in if I get there at 9 tomorrow morning..... leaving here at 7.

I know, this sounds like an emergency and, to look at Sam you'd think so, but, he's actually normal in every other way.  Walking fine, eating, drinking, no abnormal breathing, his eyes look bright, he's alert......so, I'm telling myself, he's fine until morning.

I'm also, going to let the vet clean the sheath.

3 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

I don't but my friend Kim was talking about getting me to use one just the other night.  She has had a lifetime of sinus issues since she was 14 and lost an eye to cancer and had radiation therapy.  It really messed up her sinuses and she says the neti pot really helps her.

That contraption called, ' my pure mist" is supposed to work really well, without the mess of a neti pot.....neti pots are also uncomfortable, I'm told.

I've tried a neti pot & it don't seem to help.  I've had better luck doing a hot steam treatment with Vicks added to the water.

Equi, call your vet for Sam.  Especially if the swelling is spreading.  Sure hope he will be OK.

I use a neti pot but can only do it every other day. Daily use dries out my sinuses too much. It works as well as pseudoephedrine for me and doesn't cause high blood pressure. You have to be sure to use distilled water, though.

My bookcases arrived!  

Amish made, unfinished pine.  I will be looking for local cabinet makers to build me a similar style DVD wall and finish all pieces for me.

Image may contain: indoor

Sam has pigeon fever. 20 cc's,  of penicillin for 5 days and a gram of Bute twice a day.  It just has to run its course.

1 hour ago, Heidi n Q said:

My bookcases arrived!  

Amish made, unfinished pine.  I will be looking for local cabinet makers to build me a similar style DVD wall and finish all pieces for me.

Image may contain: indoor

Nice!