1 hour ago, Danyel said:

Poor Sam. Hope he recovers quickly.

Thanks. Thankfully, with pigeon fever, there's no loss of appetite or lameness, etc.... Sam is fine in every way, except for the swelling......it doesn't always rupture, releasing the icky stuff, but, if it does, I'm to keep the area irrigated/cleaned with either saline or, plain water.

24 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

Hope the meds do the trick.

Nice units Hiedi.

Thanks, so do I! 

41 minutes ago, equicrzy said:

Thanks. Thankfully, with pigeon fever, there's no loss of appetite or lameness, etc.... Sam is fine in every way, except for the swelling......it doesn't always rupture, releasing the icky stuff, but, if it does, I'm to keep the area irrigated/cleaned with either saline or, plain water.

Best wishes for Sam. That CAN get nasty to deal with.

5 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

My bookcases arrived!  

Amish made, unfinished pine.  I will be looking for local cabinet makers to build me a similar style DVD wall and finish all pieces for me.

Image may contain: indoor

Well those should hold some books! Are you going to start a library? 

2 hours ago, noponies said:

Best wishes for Sam. That CAN get nasty to deal with.

I know, I've seen pictures.

Oh!  Poor Sam!  Well, at least you said it isn't painful and he won't lose his appetite.  I just Googled and the images have made me lose MY appetite.  Blech!   I hope his swelling goes down quickly and if it ruptures I hope it doesn't slow his healing down, but speeds it up.
(((hugs for him and you)))

So excited for the bookcases!  We dedicated a downstairs room (no closet) to become a library.  We have a chaise lounge chair to get recovered, a floor/reading lamp and a writing desk to put in there.  Now I'll soon be able to unpack my books and display them.  For my birthday I asked for bookends in anticipation of their arrival.  Husband will be building a set of shelves for the short door-wall of the library room for my DVD collection and he will put a 6" shelf all around the room, halfway between the top of the bookcases and the ceiling so I can display my Breyer horses.  I have about 600.

My bookcase in the living room that is currently housing my DVDs will become a curio for "pretties", photographs and perhaps displaying my special-to-me, classics, original printings (Grapes of Wrath, Smokey A Cow Horse, Good Earth, Return of the Native, Black Beauty) or favorite book series, like Diana Gabaldon's Outlander.

2 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

Oh!  Poor Sam!  Well, at least you said it isn't painful and he won't lose his appetite.  I just Googled and the images have made me lose MY appetite.  Blech!   I hope his swelling goes down quickly and if it ruptures I hope it doesn't slow his healing down, but speeds it up.
(((hugs for him and you)))

So excited for the bookcases!  We dedicated a downstairs room (no closet) to become a library.  We have a chaise lounge chair to get recovered, a floor/reading lamp and a writing desk to put in there.  Now I'll soon be able to unpack my books and display them.  For my birthday I asked for bookends in anticipation of their arrival.  Husband will be building a set of shelves for the short door-wall of the library room for my DVD collection and he will put a 6" shelf all around the room, halfway between the top of the bookcases and the ceiling so I can display my Breyer horses.  I have about 600.

My bookcase in the living room that is currently housing my DVDs will become a curio for "pretties", photographs and perhaps displaying my special-to-me, classics, original printings (Grapes of Wrath, Smokey A Cow Horse, Good Earth, Return of the Native, Black Beauty) or favorite book series, like Diana Gabaldon's Outlander.

Thanks Heidi,  Sam is the same as he's always been, just looks weird.  If the swollen areas do rupture, we'll have to separate the horses, which means, one won't have shelter for a while, I mentioned dividing the barn in half so both could still get in there, but still be apart, but, the vet said no, they have to be totally apart..... I can't do that, even with total separation, they will still have just a wire fence between them, at any given spot.

I found a copy of, Smokey a Cow Horse, at a used bookstore, I remember reading it in the 4th grade, I also found another horse story by Zane Grey called,  Scorpion, I bought it, too.........600 Breyer horses!!??

How big is your barn and what is the flooring like?  
From the following article, and others I've read, it seems your best bet if his swellings rupture is stabling over a solid surface (rubber mats and/or over concrete) to limit contamination area, an ability to fully remove contaminated bedding to bury or burn and an ability to bleach or otherwise sanitize the recovery area.  If you can't do this, then I guess I wouldn't worry about it since the bacteria can live so long in poopy soil and hope Abby has some immunity and doesn't catch it.  Did I remember your mare's name right?

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/37965/preventing-pigeon-fever

*this article is presented with a question about taking a horse to a lesson barn where there is a rumor of a horse with pigeon fever*

[snip]  ...  

I believe there are some measures you can take to decrease the chance of transmission to your horse or other horses at your barn.

The bacteria are able to survive for long periods in soil (eight months or more), and transmission occurs by flies or through direct contact with contaminated soil or with pus from the disease’s characteristic abscesses. Many insects have been incriminated as vectors for transmitting the disease to horses, and study results have shown that Haematobia irritans (horn flies), Musca domestica (house flies), and Stomoxys calcitrans (stable flies) can act as mechanical vectors of this disease. 

Where these abscesses appear on the body suggests that ventral midline dermatitis (open sores near the girth region caused by biting flies) is a predisposing cause of infection. Disease incidence fluctuates considerably from year to year, presumably due to herd immunity and environmental factors such rainfall and temperature. It is also seasonal, with the highest number of cases occurring during the dry months of the year, which are summer and fall in the southwestern United States, although cases may be seen all year. This disease can now be found in all regions of the country and has been reported in Mexico and Western Canada.

Biosecurity practices to limit the spread of C. pseudotuberculosis are aimed at reducing environmental contamination and spread via insects or fomites (transfer via inanimate objects). The bacterium is endemic (here to stay) in many regions of the world and is particularly able to survive in soil that’s contaminated with manure.

Horse owners and farm managers on properties with C. pseudotuberculosis  should use commonsense biosecurity measures to limit the spread to other horses:

• Wear disposable examination gloves when working with infected horses, followed by hand-washing;
  • Isolate affected horses from naive (never had the disease) herdmates; 
  • Protect horses from insect exposure by applying insect repellents to the horse regularly, including to the ventral midline to prevent ventral midline dermatitis; and
  • Practice meticulous wound care (e.g., topical fly repellents, antimicrobial ointments, and bandages) to prevent infection from a contaminated environment.

[snip]

Forgot to answer about the Breyers.  I was gifted with my first one in 1973 when I was about 7yrs old.  My mother curses my Uncle!  LOL

3 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

How big is your barn and what is the flooring like?  
From the following article, and others I've read, it seems your best bet if his swellings rupture is stabling over a solid surface (rubber mats and/or over concrete) to limit contamination area, an ability to fully remove contaminated bedding to bury or burn and an ability to bleach or otherwise sanitize the recovery area.  If you can't do this, then I guess I wouldn't worry about it since the bacteria can live so long in poopy soil and hope Abby has some immunity and doesn't catch it.  Did I remember your mare's name right?

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/37965/preventing-pigeon-fever

*this article is presented with a question about taking a horse to a lesson barn where there is a rumor of a horse with pigeon fever*

[snip]  ...  

I believe there are some measures you can take to decrease the chance of transmission to your horse or other horses at your barn.

The bacteria are able to survive for long periods in soil (eight months or more), and transmission occurs by flies or through direct contact with contaminated soil or with pus from the disease’s characteristic abscesses. Many insects have been incriminated as vectors for transmitting the disease to horses, and study results have shown that Haematobia irritans (horn flies), Musca domestica (house flies), and Stomoxys calcitrans (stable flies) can act as mechanical vectors of this disease. 

Where these abscesses appear on the body suggests that ventral midline dermatitis (open sores near the girth region caused by biting flies) is a predisposing cause of infection. Disease incidence fluctuates considerably from year to year, presumably due to herd immunity and environmental factors such rainfall and temperature. It is also seasonal, with the highest number of cases occurring during the dry months of the year, which are summer and fall in the southwestern United States, although cases may be seen all year. This disease can now be found in all regions of the country and has been reported in Mexico and Western Canada.

Biosecurity practices to limit the spread of C. pseudotuberculosis are aimed at reducing environmental contamination and spread via insects or fomites (transfer via inanimate objects). The bacterium is endemic (here to stay) in many regions of the world and is particularly able to survive in soil that’s contaminated with manure.

Horse owners and farm managers on properties with C. pseudotuberculosis  should use commonsense biosecurity measures to limit the spread to other horses:

• Wear disposable examination gloves when working with infected horses, followed by hand-washing;
  • Isolate affected horses from naive (never had the disease) herdmates; 
  • Protect horses from insect exposure by applying insect repellents to the horse regularly, including to the ventral midline to prevent ventral midline dermatitis; and
  • Practice meticulous wound care (e.g., topical fly repellents, antimicrobial ointments, and bandages) to prevent infection from a contaminated environment.

[snip]

That's a lot of good information.  My barn floor is dirt, so, I'll have to be extra vigilant in keeping things clean as possible, I clean out the stall areas every day, getting rid of feces and dirty bedding, my husband put in a drain that funnels the urine out, there's no fly problem now, with the temps being lower, before long, everything will be covered in a blanket of snow, so, that will deter the bacteria.....I'm guessing, anyway.

My fingers are crossed, there will be no ruptures, the vet did say that is a possibility, but, actually better if it does rupture and, release all the bad stuff.

Sam's sheath seems to have loosened up some, for lack of a better word, yesterday it was so swollen, it was tight as a drum, this evening, it has some movement like, jiggling.....lol...for lack of another better word.

Yes, my mare's name is Abby.

13 minutes ago, Heidi n Q said:

Forgot to answer about the Breyers.  I was gifted with my first one in 1973 when I was about 7yrs old.  My mother curses my Uncle!  LOL

That's quite a collection.  I'd like to see them displayed, when you get your shelving put in.

Oh another fan of Outlander.  It is my absolute favorite & the only one I buy in hard cover.  Sadly I am horribly behind in reading.  I've also enjoyed Lord John Grey she wrote.

Haven't watched the show yet.  Not sure I'd enjoy it because of all the detail in her writing just can't see how the can represent it correctly.  Did see some commercials & didn't care for it to much.  Heck the actor playing Jamie is way to short.

On 11/6/2017 at 8:17 PM, Heidi n Q said:

Well, just, EF.  

Yesterday I was coming down with something - sinuses hurt, nose was running a marathon, throat was getting sore and by the time Leo ran through the fence, my R ear was starting to ache.  By about 10pm, my ear was hurting so bad I started considering the Emergency Dept.  The only thing that held me back was knowing the E-Dept did *nothing* helpful for my nephew when I took him a couple summers ago for an ear ache.  I rummaged in the cupboard and found some antibiotics (Abx products previously used for ENT issues) and took one.  I also took some cough syrup that had hydrocodone in it.  

I was watching TV with my head tilted completely sideways so my ear didn't hurt and I couldn't get to sleep until about 5am.  Not from pain, but because I couldn't settle on any one thing and kept wandering around the house, starting a project and then wondering what I was doing.  

Felt better this morning when I got up and took another Abx.  Was still stuffed but my ear didn't hurt like it had so I knew the Abx were working.  Went to work and handled it well with cough drops, cetirizine and nasal spray.  When I got home, I felt I needed to blow my nose so I did so in the downstairs half bath.  I blew hard, my L ear popped and I got dizzy!  Steadied myself, but when I took a step to exit out of the bathroom the hall tilted and dumped me on the floor.  Husband came and helped me up, holding on to me until the dizziness passed.  Which it did shortly afterwards.  Now I feel as if I am hearing everything from underwater.  

Now I'm afraid to blow my nose.  o.0

Sounds like you blew your ear drum hun. Sending lots of well wishes.

I went to my Dr yesterday and tested positive for strep.  Stronger Abx and a cough syrup that thins phlegm so now I'm having productive coughs and am glad to get it OUT of my system.  No fever so I'm good for work.

Been cold wet and gross here. Cant get out of the 40s and windy rain. Think I may have caught a bug last night out feeding the horses in the pouring rain. Couldnt get warm enough all night and then at work today I was sitting with a patient who had the heat up so high everyone else compared her room to a sauna. I had a jacket on and was comfortable. So, someone pass me a cup of something warm....In the meantime, I have a situation where Id love to know what everyone else would do....here goes: My brothers wife has invited me to spend Thanksgiving with her and the kids at her dads house. (My brother will be working) Her brother will be there with his wife and toddler as well. Sounds ok right? Well, the problem is...I dont dislike my sister in law but we arent besties either. We dont have anything in common other than my brother and their kids, which is plenty for me BUT...I know my brother has very recently (and for a while now) been contemplating a divorce. She doesnt know. Im gonna feel awkward sharing a Thanksgiving with her....would you?  Would you go to Thanksgiving at her dads? Or would you "have to work"? Im really torn.

8 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

I went to my Dr yesterday and tested positive for strep.  Stronger Abx and a cough syrup that thins phlegm so now I'm having productive coughs and am glad to get it OUT of my system.  No fever so I'm good for work.

I would see the diagnosis of strep, as a reason to not go to work, fever or not.....you must really love your job.... I've never liked a job so much, I'd go in with strep.

I think you're an anomaly.....lol..

Edited by equicrzy

52 minutes ago, QueenBAW said:

Been cold wet and gross here. Cant get out of the 40s and windy rain. Think I may have caught a bug last night out feeding the horses in the pouring rain. Couldnt get warm enough all night and then at work today I was sitting with a patient who had the heat up so high everyone else compared her room to a sauna. I had a jacket on and was comfortable. So, someone pass me a cup of something warm....In the meantime, I have a situation where Id love to know what everyone else would do....here goes: My brothers wife has invited me to spend Thanksgiving with her and the kids at her dads house. (My brother will be working) Her brother will be there with his wife and toddler as well. Sounds ok right? Well, the problem is...I dont dislike my sister in law but we arent besties either. We dont have anything in common other than my brother and their kids, which is plenty for me BUT...I know my brother has very recently (and for a while now) been contemplating a divorce. She doesnt know. Im gonna feel awkward sharing a Thanksgiving with her....would you?  Would you go to Thanksgiving at her dads? Or would you "have to work"? Im really torn.

If it was me, I'd be too uncomfortable being there, knowing I knew what her husband was contemplating, but she didn't.

24 minutes ago, equicrzy said:

If it was me, I'd be too uncomfortable being there, knowing I knew what her husband was contemplating, but she didn't.

Yes! To be fair, my brother doesnt know that I know either. My brother has been confiding in a mutual friend of theirs/ours, who then told me. Im just playing it cool with my brother because their marriage really isnt any of my business, and I think eventually my brother will confide in me/ask me for advice. Im leaning towards going ahead and going to Thanksgiving at her dads...she is a good person, her family are good people, and it was very kind of her to invite me at all. It will probably be awkward, but my neice amd nephew will surely make up for that.

I just may be an anomaly, I do love my job and have to be darn near non-functioning before I will call in sick.  

QB, I would feel uncomfortable attending with that kind of knowledge, but at the same time it would be very difficult to pass up spending time with the kiddos.  For that alone, I'd go and enjoy the time with family and I bet you will have a great time.

7 hours ago, equicrzy said:

I would see the diagnosis of strep, as a reason to not go to work, fever or not.....you must really love your job.... I've never liked a job so much, I'd go in with strep.

I think you're an anomaly.....lol..

Then there's spreading it to everyone else....

QB. When it was just me & hubby I always worked the holidays.  Always felt the residents needed their care giver family as few family came on the day.  Plus it was a way out if going to the inlaws.

It was very thoughtful of your SIL to invite you to join her family.  If you like visiting with her & enjoy your time with the kids then go.  Otherwise go to work & provide for those who won't have family visiting.

10 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

I just may be an anomaly, I do love my job and have to be darn near non-functioning before I will call in sick.  

QB, I would feel uncomfortable attending with that kind of knowledge, but at the same time it would be very difficult to pass up spending time with the kiddos.  For that alone, I'd go and enjoy the time with family and I bet you will have a great time.

When I was teaching, I never called in sick unless I was physically too ill to get there. I didn't worry about spreading it to the kids because that's where I got it! It helped that you could save your sick and personal days and be paid for 1/3 of them at retirement. I had saved enough to buy my tractor!

8 hours ago, noponies said:

Then there's spreading it to everyone else....

I'm sure I picked this up at work.  A coworker's young son was sick at Halloween and she was sick just after him, not to mention the numerous patrons who frequent the library while ill. I also have a compromised immune system while taking chemo so I tend to cover my coughs, avoid sneezing near other people, hit the hand sanitizer after I cough or sneeze and even when I hear someone else in the building cough or sneeze and I won't share food or drinks.

I've been on antibiotics since Sunday and worked Monday afternoon, about 20hrs after I first took the Abx, so I was pretty close to being cleared as a vector. 

Strep throat is most contagious starting a few days before symptoms show up and decreases after a person has been on antibiotics for at least 24 hours. The germs are transferred through close contact with the sick person's mouth or droplets from a cough or a sneeze.

There is about a 25 percent chance of spreading strep to household contacts. Your family members can try to avoid getting your infection by cleaning their hands frequently with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer as well as keeping their hands away from their eyes, nose and mouth.

I dont miss my strep days. I was a carrier as a kid. Had my tonsils out and never caught it again, thank goodness.

I wish I had a video camera to follow that little stinker Margarita around. Last week on a particularly warm day I saw her rolling in the shallow end of the pond. June was standing next to her. You had to be there but it was hilarious...but too far away to video. This evening I went out to feed the horses and Margarita looks like shes wearing a black blanket. It seems with all the rain, shes had herself a nice roll (or 3) in the mud. Silly filly.