Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spanish_walkin_wannabe

The Front Porch

156 posts in this topic

Danyel,  This was day two of my racoon problem.  Day one was one visitor.  day two - it brought the whole family back.  There were six in total. 

bandit.jpg

Time for a couple live traps and some long distance relocation

Majik13, you have 2 more than me!! I tried to feed the feral cat at different times and the blasted raccoons show up too. It was early evening yesterday and soon as I put the feed out, here they come. I ran them off with a yardstick!! The babies are so stinking cute!

Thanks all.

I know I will probably let him go. That it's the kindest thing. There is the possibility that he has feline triaditis, basically IBD in cats, but it effects so many things like the pancreas, liver, and intestines...and you really only treat the symptoms and can give them grain free soft food. More meds, more expense, no real cure. He could maybe live a few more years but then what? And how fair is it? 

I wish the people in the museum would leave so I could get my paycheck, go to the bank, and go home to wait and hear from the vet so I can just get it all over with. My heart hurts and I'm so sad. I feel like I did the wrong thing...doing this surgery. But I wanted to try, wanted to believe so badly that it was just a simple fix like a hairball and then it all went wrong and now I made him go through this for nothing. 

It hurts a lot. And there's nothing I can do to fix it. :(:mecry:

He has already forgiven you. Just go cuddle him for a while so he can tell you so.

So sorry Spanish.  You don't think he'd do okay on meds and diet for a while?  I don't know, but I think I'd give him the chance.  But you know what's best for him. No matter how it happens, you're never ready for it.

I'm going to talk with the vets and see what kind of expense is involved. The hydrolized pet foods are extremely expensive. About 70 or 80 dollars a bag and I don't know if he could have dry or if it would have to be wet. Plus the cost of meds, which would be a combination of steroids and antibiotics. If the expense is too overwhelming and unrealistic to maintain, then I'll have to say good bye. It's not that I wouldn't want to try meds if would give him a happy life, but I want him to be happy. and comfortable. But it also has to have a realistic cost. I have other animals to care for so I cannot over extend myself for one when there are 5 others, 2 of which are 1200 lbs. 

Little critters...they sure do wiggle right into us. If I could move a mountain to make it better, I would. 

Spanish, maybe there's an alternative food, homemade perhaps.  Prednisone isn't expensive.  I'd do some research on vet sites before talking to the vet.  You never know, and it doesn't hurt to be informed before the discussion.  Wishing you the best. I know how hard it is.  I have seven dogs, four cats and four horses (two are pasture ornaments) . I had to put my 33 year old mare down last month. (Degenerative joint disease).  I can't even think of retiring, too many little souls depend on me.

This must be so difficult for you.  You *had* to try with the surgery.  You *had* to know.  (((hugs for you both)))

A minor update: Watson's pancreas appeared abnormal/rough, so a biopsy was taken. Other organs look a-ok other than some enlargement of the gallbladder but that was to be expected given the condition of the pancreas. There was no cancer found on the slides from the biopsy and the vet has never seen a pancreas that looked like that. His biopsy has been sent to a pathologist and in the mean time we will treat him as a pancreatitis patient and treat his symptoms. He will stay at the hospital for the weekend and I'll see how he is Monday. If he appears to do okay and maintain a quality of life on medication and the pathology comes back cancer free...super. if he has cancer, I will let my little buddy go. If he is cancer free but cannot sustain a quality of life on the medication, again, I will say good bye. I know it's more money, probably more than most people would do, but my grandpa is really attached to the kitty and I mean so am I so, I thought we would try. Plus, Dr. H will cover the cost of the pathology because he wants to know what's up with my cats pancreas as he has never seen it before. So.. fingers crossed. .praying...anything at this point. I just wanted to try for my little buddy so long as he's comfortable for now. and that's that.

Alllll of his other stuff looked good though, no reason for the vomitting. So they will give him metoclopromide to hopefully soothe his pyloris to keep him from puking and so that the food and medicine gets through to work on the pancreas. I don't know if he will need fluids. It's just wait and see re: his pancreas. 

I'm just a blithering mess as I wish he were home. I know he's just in a hospital kennel alone at night, probably scared and lonely...but he can't keep puking at home either. Ugh. I hate this. It hurts my heart so much to think of my little puzzle buddy feeling sore and scared and sick. I hope I'm doing the right thing by trying. I really do. 

Spanish,  Sorry for your troubles with Watson, glad you are making the effort to find out just what is wrong with him, & I hope your answers come back on a positive note, so you & grandpa have more time to enjoy Watson.  Best Wishes. PD

Spanish, I hope everything goes right and you have lots of great quality time left with your kitty. But I admire your preparedness for the worst going into this. Although you are never ready to let them go, it is good to see owners who obviously put the critters first. *hugs*

Spanish, Glad you're holding a bit of hope.  You need to do as much as you're able to to see if he can turn around.  As much for your sake as his.  I know how expensive it is.  My dachshund, Flash (mommies boy), got deathly ill last year.  I thought I was going to loose him.  Long story short, I was into tests and weekly blood panels, abdominal ultrasound, every antibiotic under the sun (except the one that is specific to treat anaplasmosis-which he tested positive for).  3,000 dollars in,. I researched everywhere to match his symptoms and blood results.  Nothing on any veterinary sites.  Most dogs don't show any symptoms for Anaplasmosis (tick Bourne).  So I looked on the CDC site for people. Bingo!  High liver enzymes, low (in his case almost none, except for abnormal cells)white cells.  I love my vet, she's willing to listen.  We put him on doxycycline and he improved in days.  Now he's 100%.  So don't give up, miracles do happen.  And if not, there's some comfort in knowing you did what you could.  I'm deeper in debt, but I have my boy.  I hope it turns out well for you.

IMG_20160929_143722.jpg

I spent way too much money on a cat that showed up starving and close to dead in my barn last spring. I had to suggest every process and test to the vets. I think they would have written her off. She's healthy now and a very loving kitty. I don't regret the fortune I spent on her but I'm afraid to let her be a barn cat. I would feel really cheated if she disappeared, LOL.

Sorry I didnt check in yesterday. I worked Thursday and Friday and it was brutal. I was off yesterday but kind of glued to Facebook/media while I watched the madness unfold in my hometown (Charlottesville, Va). My head is swirling but Ill keep my opinion to myself as this isnt the debate board.

On another note, I bought a bigger nicer seat for my bike yesterday, and really wanted to go for a ride  BUT...apparently I need a large Allen key to take the old seat off. Who the heck has one of those lying around?! Ugh. Its actually cheaper to just buy a new seat post lol. Off to Walmart I go after work I suppose.

Eveyone have a great day.

QB got two sets in my cabinet.  Cone on over you can borrow it.

Been crazy busy works ng the past week.  Our motel staff gave hardly a 2 day notice.  So worked like a mad dog getting everything cleaned not to mention all the laundry.  Finally got caught up.  Been turning over rooms myself.  On the bright side can't say not getting a good workout.

Spanish sorry about you boy.  Know how much you & your grandpa love him.

Went to Walmart after work and as my luck would have it....no bike seat posts. I told my story to one of the fellas working there and he offered to take my old seat off for me if I bring it in tomorrow after work....cause lets be honest, who wants to buy a set of allen keys to use one time?? 

Theres a white deer hanging around my place. Ive seen a handful of them in my lifetime and Im always overcome with how pretty they are.

Edited by QueenBAW
fat fingers

Watch next week you will go buy the wrenches because you'll need it for something else.

There us an area north of us that is known for having albino deer.

Hard to believe tomorrow is back to school night.  Course the stupid school didn't list the time can drop everything off.

Morning all. So Ive been watching in hand trail classes for minis on Youtube. Hmm, anyone know how old my Margarita has to be to show? Im off the rest of the week and Im brewing with obstacle ideas. This could be tons of fun for Zarinna and Margarita to do together as far as showing goes. Shes not weaned yet, so there are times that shes looking for her momma and not paying attention to me, but shes easily redirectable and very willing to do what I ask.

Anyone here have shoulder issues? It started last year when I went tubing for the first time ever. Shoulder hurt for a week or two afterwards. It healed - then it hurt again after a night of nozzle training at the fire hall. Lasted a couple days, healed, then I was doing my arrow a day (shoot your bow every day for the month of August) and about half way through the month - pain again. Took a few days off, it got better. Had a couple spells then nothing until about a month ago. Was in the gas station when out of no where intense pain in my shoulder. Couldn't move it without tears. It improved some and was better by day 3. Until this past Saturday. Simply walking through the woods - get to the truck and pain. Pretty intense again. I know for a fact I wasn't doing anything. Yesterday was sore - today it pretty close back to normal. Any idea what this could be? I feel silly going to the doctor when I have no symptoms now.

6 hours ago, noponies said:

Better go. Sounds like bursitis developing.

My Mom suggested the same thing, bursitis. I was able to fling some arrows with my bow tonight with little pain. I just don't need people thinking I fake it when I go in and it's fine.

Morning all,

Spanish I hope Watson is feeling better today.  

Raining here today. Hoping it stops so I can ride after work.  Hope everyone has a great day. 

Good Morning all!

So sorry I have been absent. The weekend was busy as we took the motorcycle to the resort and went to the cabin. 

Kitty update: Watson was hospitalized all weekend and he kept down his food. He is on abx while healing and we are waiting on the report from the pathologist. He is currently eating his i/d food (canned) with probiotics and a bit of miralax to help with his stools (he goes through periods of time where they are firm and then he had that constipation..) So far he has been doing okay. Today he's a bit more subdued...I suppose he's a bit sore as no pain meds since he had those for 3 days post sx while hospitalized..but he's okay. Eating and using his litter box, though he's not a fan of his cone. Now it's just hurry up and wait for the report from the University. Fingers crossed it's not cancer and that they can shed some light on what's wrong with his pancreas. 

As for being comfortable with the decision of letting him go...well I worked at the vet hospital for 4 years, so after working in the field and seeing so many selfish owners PLUS living life on the farm...it's pretty easy for me to have a good grasp on what's appropriate to do for my animal, even if it means breaking my heart. At this point, there is nothing else we can do for him other than hope. As long as he doesn't have cancer and the meds/food are a manageable monthly expense, I don't have any problem keeping him going and getting a few more good years out of him. When he starts to suffer, I will say goodbye. 

ANYWAY, there isn't much going on here. Just work work work. I have to go back and read and catch up! :flirt:

Heard some upsetting news this week. Two of my classmates were murdered in their home. It happened in a small sleepy town in Southern Illinois. They were married right after graduation. It is the same neighborhood my sister lives. Just unreal. Hope it is solved soon.

Went to yoga this morning and tried to get extra housework done.

We are having more thunderstorms this evening. 

I better take the dogs out before it rains.

Spanish, so happy your kitty is doing better.

Well, I had managed to strip the allen bolt thingie to the point that the nice fella at Walmart couldnt help me yesterday. Humph. I took it over to my landlord today and he had a good laugh, teased me for being such a girl, and took care of it for me. It rained all morning and up til about noonish, and then was so hot and muggy the rest of the day. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day to go for a ride.

Played with the girls and Margarita this evening. I haven't done anything with her for a few days so she was extra silly on the line today BUT, she got introduced to a curtain I layed on the ground (didnt have a tarp). She was SO funny the first couple times over it, wish I hadve recorded it. First go round she jumped it, second time she tip toed across like lightening lol. 

Today is my deceased brothers birthday. We're a year and 2 days apart, so today has been very weird, and sad. Usually I would call him to wish him a happy birthday and he'd tease me about being the same age for 2 days. Hard to look forward to my own birthday when he's not here for his. 

Pics are of Zarinna, and Emmy standing. The horse is the Appy mare I saved last year. I do have a couple videos of Margarita today but I dont think theres a way to post video. Ill have to get pics of her for you all.

20170815_174921.jpg

20170815_174455.jpg