There are some good gardening books to help you out.  I'm sure she had favorite plants that you would like to keep going.  Are you going to do a vegetable garden?  

We have a number of scrubs in front of house that should be trimmed & plus 3-4 flower beds that will need attention,  I think I can pointers from neighbor lady, or need to find a lady friend that knows what to do.  I'm not sure about vegetable garden, have everything to work it up, but no desire to pull weeds or take care of things when they are ready, past few years we have given alot of stuff to our daughter that lives 50 miles from us.  PD

We went to a sheep show with our sheep.  It was our first, so we just brushed up the girls and took them.  They are a hair breed, so you don't shear them.  They do have some wool, but it sheds out.  Our big ewe was gently called a couch potato by the judge, LOL!  We didn't know fitting the sheep for show meant exercising them.  Looks like we'll be taking our sheep for walks before the show next year.  Other show people there gave us lots of great advice.  It was a laid back sort of show, so it was really a great experience.  Our sheep are so tame and friendly that they were a big hit.  

LC,  Isn't there a name for wooless sheep, did see some advertised on on local craigs list.  Have there always been wooless sheep, or is this something they have bred into them over the years?  I know I can google this, but must more interesting coming from a owner of sheep.   Glad you had good day at the show.  Best Wishes.  PD

I smiled when you said the judge called your ewe a couch potato.  I'll bet you had fun and it sounds like everyone enjoyed your friendly sheep.  Were other sheep friendly, too, or just yours?

They aren't actually wooless.  Some breeds have hair like goats.  Ours have wool, but the quality isn't very good.  We pull off the wool in clumps in the spring.  If we collect it, we can wash it and make wool balls for the dryer.  They shed it out, as opposed to being sheared.  It makes them much more comfortable in warmer climates.  The breed is St. Augustine Sheep, developed down here.  Here's a link for pictures:

http://www.staugustinehairsheep.com/gallery/

Many of the sheep were friendly, but one of ours practically begs for attention by leaning her face on the fence and staring at you.  St. Augustine sheep are known for having a very friendly, gentle temperament.  We took home a ram from another breeder to borrow for our ewes.  His name is Rambo, lol!

LC Thanks for your info, checked out website, was surprised to see a spotted ewe,   only sheep I've come in contact with are mainly at farm shows or at local 4H fairs,  My daughter might have had a sheep or two in the past, as she has owned alot of different critters.  She likes dogs, cow,s & pigs better these days. 

It is cold here again today it is currently -5 degrees, but sun is out & if you dress warm it isn't bad. PD

Our two ewes are white, but the ram is spotted black and white.  St. Augustine sheep can be brown, black, white, red, etc...  Neat looking critters.  If I could figure out how to post pictures, I could show you ours.

LC are they more of a meat or dairy breed?

PD you'll figure out the flower beds.  Just depends on the amount and of work you want to do.

Well we got the hot tub filled.  Bubbles are blowing & the temp is slowly climbing.  Fingers crossed all continues to work.  

RRW, hot tub sounds great right now. We are having freezing rain tonight. Should be interesting tommorow!

Another bitter day here.  We had much lower overnight temp than what was predicted 

I'll take a pic of the tub all done.  It sure looks nice.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, Proud Dad said:

We have a number of scrubs in front of house that should be trimmed & plus 3-4 flower beds that will need attention,  I think I can pointers from neighbor lady, or need to find a lady friend that knows what to do.  I'm not sure about vegetable garden, have everything to work it up, but no desire to pull weeds or take care of things when they are ready, past few years we have given alot of stuff to our daughter that lives 50 miles from us.  PD

PD, get the neighbor lady to mark the flowering plants. Then, your biggest job will be weeding. Fertilizer is easy--horse manure!

Ooooh! We had an icy rain. All the trees and the fence are coated and have icicles. Gorgeous! I wish I had ordered those boots with the fold-in ice spikes.

Edited by jubal

jubal  We are having a heat wave here, it was 9 above this am, & the sun is out.  I can believe that ice is a real problem, in your area, hope those boots with spikes work for you. 

3 hours ago, jubal said:

PD, get the neighbor lady to mark the flowering plants. Then, your biggest job will be weeding. Fertilizer is easy--horse manure!

I will seek out neighbor ladies advice, on flowers & scrubs, weeding is something  when it came to Mozelle's flowers & scrubs, she lead I just followed, & I didn't pay attention like I should have.  PD

4 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

PD more then once I've decimated plants I thought were weeds.  

RRW,   Are you telling me this could be a learning experience,  you know it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks.   Have a great day. PD

Yup.  Just might be those flower beds will get smaller real fast.

Wish I had time for bed but don't.  I've got my monstrous rose bush then do a couple pots for the porch.

The sun is out today but it is still below freezing. All the ice on the trees and vegetation, is sparkling. It's beautiful even if it is colder than a witch's hat. (yes, I know what the saying really is.)

jubal,   It seems parts of the south are being overly hit with bad weather this year,  do hope you see more positive signs of spring soon . PD

It's supposed to get better for the next week, PD. I know my poor horse will appreciate it. He is still horribly lame. And I don't want to keep giving him Bute.

Beautiful day here in the mid 50's. Wish the weather would stay warmer but back to freezing rain Saturday.

Spent the morning at the eye doctors. Getting laser surgery the 27th. Hopefully it will clear up my cloudy vision. I have scar tissue on the new lense after cataract surgery. I can't see a darn thing out of my left eye. They said it takes 3 minutes and no down time!!! I was hoping they would do it today but that would be too easy!! But at least it is an easy fix.

PD, I'm so ready to work in flower beds. Noticed the Amarillo's are popping up already.

Everyone have a great evening!

Danyel, It will be 4-6 weeks before we have anything popping through the ground,  but our weather is suppose to warm up enough, that we don't have any below 0 weather in the next week to 10days. I was at local farm store yesterday, I saw worker taking down ice fishing shelter, & they had one lawn mower sitting on floor, that  was my first sign that spring will come.  PD

PD - I love those small signs of Spring!   I am just so happy that it is still light until almost 5:30 in the evenings!

I think Jubal might be a tiny bit less lame today. I purposely delayed his Bute and he didn't seem as lame as yesterday. Maybe the warmer weather will help.

Thanks, LC. I got the Cushings test result this week. He doesn't have it, so a good thing.

Edited by jubal