6 hours ago, QueenBAW said:

Ill definitely have to get some better ones just for you!

20180224_175227.thumb.jpg.f2cdc8ab7727143eea79bc6c3bfea443.jpg

20180224_175222.jpg

Thank you, Queen! She  wouldn't last long here, either. I have to dress my horse in a blue plaid sheet to keep him from being a target.

Edited by jubal
darn tablet!

RRW,   I saw a guy jogging in shorts & tank top the other day running on top the snow.  It did seem weird.  But the sun & 40 degree weather is nice after so many below 0 temps this winter.  PD

Go up to the twin ports & you will see all sorts of odd this time me of year.

It has been beautiful this past week.  Snow is slow for going away but the banks are shrinking. Been getting harder every day to convince the dogs they have to come in.

RRW,    The only downside to the melting snow is the surface mud in my driveway, but that will dry up with time. So it is a welcomed change, at the moment, as Old Man Winter, still has some tricks up his sleeve. WARMLY PD

Yesterday was stressful. A young man killed his parents in his dorm room and got away from police. It was very close to home. My husbands office is on campus and he was on lock down. The suspect was thought to be heading right for my neighborhood and I had to call my client and tell her I was closed and on lock down at my house. School was cancelled and buses were not running. The entire town was flooded with SWAT, and police from all over the state. There were helicopters flying over my house until midnight when they finally found him. 

From what I understand he was discharged from the local hospital at 8am after having a drug related episode. The police delivered him to the hospital the night before. Around 8:30 am his parents showed up to take him home for spring break. That's when he pulled his father's gun away from him and killed both of his parents.

His father was a police officer out of IL. 

Wow Tiger Lilly! Thats pretty scary! Im glad youre ok.

A young lady I know is missing. Shes 15. Please say a prayer yall.

FB_IMG_1520059546898.jpg

TL,  Glad they caught the young man, can't imagine what your day must have been like.   Just want to wish you & your family the Very Best.  PD

QB, I do hope they find this young lady, being a parent of a missing child, has to be agony.  I wish them well. PD

Edited by Proud Dad

10 hours ago, jubal said:

TL, that's been on national news today and yesterday. Scary that your husband was there.

The guy was found just down the street from my brother-in-laws house. Apparently he never made it off campus and someone on the train spotted him. 

It's all good here now but yeah, scary close to home. 

There was a lockdown at my school when I was teaching. It was terrifying! We didn't know if the guy was in the school or not. They neglected to tell us after giving the lockdown code on the PA. Fortunately, he wasn't and was caught pretty quickly.

I don't know if this is right place for this, but I thought this was very moving & well written article. But just came from the heart of a teacher.  haven't posted a link on here before, so don't know if I did it right. PD

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Tony-Honoree-Rachel-Harry-Pens-Essay-on-Being-a-Theatre-Educator-in-the-Age-of-Gu

I will have to watch the video at home.  I read the intro of the article and am interested to hear her speech at the Awards show.

Wow, I loved her speech.  It really did come from the heart and spoke for theater instructors everywhere.

Heidi,  My link actually worked that is good,  when something comes from the heart, it generally good.  But I'm glad you liked it. 

We have a snow storm headed our way Monday night,  weather man is fairly certain we won't get hit that hard with snow,  but mother nature & old man winter hold the trump cards.  Best Wishes all. PD

Ok guys, advice needed! 

Ive been having a hard time finding a western saddle to fit me and my TB. Saw this one posted on facebook last night. The sizing (seat and gullet) match what Im looking for. Its a Circle Y Flexlite Park and Trail and seems to be in darn good condition. Seller is asking $900 but willing to negotiate. Honestly I think its worth $900 and have even checked ebay for reference and theyre going for around that there as well. So whats the problem?? I really dont NEED a saddle this nice for the amount/type of riding I do. With that said, I dont *really want* to pay more than $500 for a saddle,...but I could, especially if it ends my saddle search. Additionally, I have a friend who buys and sells saddles and says he has some he'd like me to look at that he thinks would work for me. His saddles are more of what Im looking for (quality and price) BUT Ive bought a saddle from him before and it didnt fit my horse. Thankfully I was able to resell it for what I paid for it.

I dont know whether I should look at his saddles or go ahead and buy the Circle Y. Im always worried that the saddle wont fit right and then Im stuck. But, if I *had* to resell one, Im sure I could resell the Circle Y without much hassle. The Circle Y and my friends saddles are both located a little over an hour away, and neither are interested in doing a trial period. So....what would you do? If you would go with the Circle Y, what would be your offer since the seller is negotiable?

Screenshot_2018-03-05-13-26-50.png

Edited by QueenBAW

That IS a nice saddle.  However, I had a beautiful saddle that didn't fit my horse.  It sat looking pretty until I could sell it.  The best saddle is the one that fits your horse and you.  If your horse is a difficult fit (TBs tend to be) will your friend let you try a few saddles on your horse before you decide if you want to buy it?  An ugly saddle that is comfy for you and your horse is worth more, IMHO.   

I know it is tempting.  I always end up on the short end of the stick when exceed my budget.  I end up having an unexpected expense that I needed it for later.  Just my luck, I suppose.  

I must be getting old.  I am not as good at enabling as I used to be.  Except with donkeys.  Everyone needs a donkey.  :crazy:

2 hours ago, little cow said:

That IS a nice saddle.  However, I had a beautiful saddle that didn't fit my horse.  It sat looking pretty until I could sell it.  The best saddle is the one that fits your horse and you.  If your horse is a difficult fit (TBs tend to be) will your friend let you try a few saddles on your horse before you decide if you want to buy it?  An ugly saddle that is comfy for you and your horse is worth more, IMHO.   

I know it is tempting.  I always end up on the short end of the stick when exceed my budget.  I end up having an unexpected expense that I needed it for later.  Just my luck, I suppose.  

I must be getting old.  I am not as good at enabling as I used to be.  Except with donkeys.  Everyone needs a donkey.  :crazy:

My friend is going to send me pics tomorrow of 2 saddles he thinks will work for me. I absolutely agree that a well worn ugly saddle that fits is exactly what I need, and exactly what Ive been looking for but so far Ive found nothing. Im going to see what his saddles look like tomorrow when he sends the pics and then really make a decision. I hate to low ball offer this lady $500 for the Circle Y....but she said she was negotiable. Of course I plan on paying more than $500 for it, but not $900. I think its a good deal regardless. Im like you though as far as my luck and needing the extra money for something after the fact lol. Ive been picking up extra shifts at work too though, and Im doing well...not rich, but not eating ramen lol.

QB,  No words of wisdom , I just wish you well finding one that works for your horse & you. Best Wishes.  PD

Still stewing on that Circle Y, waiting on pics from my friend.

In the meantime, I just wanted to brag a little on the grey appy mare. Yall remember her from pages ago when I posted the pic of my littlest cowgirl standing ontop of her. Ive been riding more recently. My puppy Bennie has to get the right amount of exercise in order to sleep all night. Ive been walking laps around the pond at the farm, but there are times when I just feel like we arent covering enough ground. So, Ive been hoping on old Mr. Butters (day or night) and riding around the farm while Bennie follows, and its been good so far. My landlord suggested I ride through the back cow pasture and over to his other 100 acres for a good ride, and so I did the other day on ol Mr. Butters. The only issue I had was that the old fart doesnt side pass, so I had trouble opening a gate. I tried to teach him, (and we'll work on it) but he got frustrated with me. Yesterday I decided to hop on the appy mare and let Zarinna ride Mr. Butters. We got to the gate and the appy mare was perfect! Got the gate open on the first try, and got it shut. Had a wonderful ride over, with Bennie following right along. On the way back we again got the gate open without any trouble but couldnt quite get it shut. She was a little impatient, no biggie. I hopped off and shut the gate with her in hand so we'd end on a good note. I just love this mare. I wish I knew her history.

20180305_180626.jpg

20180305_180603.jpg

QB,   Have you ever tried a Australian Outback saddle?  I sometimes ride a neighbor, & she used a outback saddle on a TWH,  that is tall slim.  When I bought my TWH gelding the fellow I bought him from, used a outback saddle with a horn & had western stirrups on it. Took for granted  it fit alot  of different horses, without soring them.  Just a thought, glad you got out for a ride with your girls, I'm glad they have you in their lives. Best Wishes. PD

18 minutes ago, Proud Dad said:

QB,   Have you ever tried a Australian Outback saddle?  I sometimes ride a neighbor, & she used a outback saddle on a TWH,  that is tall slim.  When I bought my TWH gelding the fellow I bought him from, used a outback saddle with a horn & had western stirrups on it. Took for granted  it fit alot  of different horses, without soring them.  Just a thought, glad you got out for a ride with your girls, I'm glad they have you in their lives. Best Wishes. PD

Yes I have considered an Aussie saddle. I used to have one years ago and loved it.

QB that's great you have the ability to go on the additional property.  Enjoy your poop out puppy rides.

We got dumped on once again.  Go from 30mph roads at 9am to completely dry at 2pm, got to love winter.  Oh & it was so wet the snow was blue this morning.

QB, I forgot say I liked your pictures, also any picture I've ever seen of Virginia, has been very scenic,  always nice to be surrounded by natures beauty. 

RRW, Did you get any snow on Monday night?  they were forecasting 3-5 inches for our area, &  we might have gotten 2inches, only moved snow away from service door to garage, as it was melting already when I went out to feed horses.  Best Wishes.  PD

We got dumped on yesterday/last night.  It was so wet that the snow was blue.  There is a mountain of snow in my parking lot & I have to figure out how I am going to shovel out the mailbox.  I'll try to remember to take pic's for you tomorrow.

On the bright side I should be busy with get the last minute snowmobile trip people at the motel.  The trail groomer was out this morning at 9am when I drove to the depot.  Our roads were total dog poo this morning & are now dry.  Tis the season for the wonderful warm weather or spring storms.  Dump today gone tomorrow.

Today was farrier day...and its cooold and muddy. Yuck, but we got it done. Bennie came along and had a great time although she has eaten one too many hoof trimmings and puked on my couch. Shes alright and now curled up next to me for a nap. Little does she know I have to go to the feed store here in a few, and shes coming along. I don't want her taking any naps today so she'll sleep tonight. I have to work tomorrow, lol. Taking Faith to the vet at 4pm to rule out a uti. Not sure if shes truly sick or having a behavioral issue. 

After talking to my farrier today (he shows cutting horses) Im going to pass on the Circle Y for many reasons. First, like I stated before, its much nicer than I need. Second, its more than I want to spend. Additionally being that the gullet is so narrow, I wouldnt be able to use it on my other horses, which I didnt think about. It would be dumb to have a bunch of money tied up in a saddle I could only use on Sonic. My farrier pointed out that I should be able to use pads to achieve the fit I want for Sonic. He also said that in his experience, the flex tree of the Circle Y only made horses backs sore. Hes not a fan of the Park and Trail saddle. He has some good points, which is what I needed to hear.

With that said, I just really need to jump on Sonic bareback or whatever til I find a western saddle. Letting him sit idle isn't going to help anything.