1 hour ago, equicrzy said:

You seem to have had problems with one, or, both girls going back quite a while.

What you're providing them with, the opportunity to ride horses, I'd think they'd be more grateful and, wouldn't be giving you any trouble, at all.

Me? I'd sever all ties, if they have to constantly lie to you, they don't deserve your kindness.

If they get away with lying to their mom, that's her problem, you don't have to put up with it.

So, what do you suppose happened to the mouse poison?  I could speculate, but I won't....it's for sure I don't think those girls should be trusted.

Youve stolen the thoughts right out of my brain. I agree with every word youve written.  Im so tired of putting up with this mess. She came down to ride this evening and I told her she could go right back home and told her that she knew why. She immediately started crying. I told her that there was no good reason to lie to me and that all it does is make me upset with her. She said she was sorry, but I think only because she was mad she wasnt going to be able to ride. She did leave, but went to her grandparents house, not home.

I have no idea what happened to the mouse poison. I wish I knew for sure. So far the horses are fine, and so are my dogs.

1 hour ago, noponies said:

Maybe they are having a mouse problem at home.

That's a possibility I never thought of. Something off about those girls, though.

If it were me, I'd cut my losses.  She tried so hard to show them, there are people they can trust, but, they continue to lie and, use crying to try and get their way.

Their mom doesn't care what they do, she's just glad someone else is doing things with them, so she doesn't have to.

I'd say, it's time to stop trying to teach those girls anything, it isn't her responsibility.

1 hour ago, equicrzy said:

That's a possibility I never thought of. Something off about those girls, though.

If it were me, I'd cut my losses.  She tried so hard to show them, there are people they can trust, but, they continue to lie and, use crying to try and get their way.

Their mom doesn't care what they do, she's just glad someone else is doing things with them, so she doesn't have to.

I'd say, it's time to stop trying to teach those girls anything, it isn't her responsibility.

Exactly. Thank you!

As far as the mouse poison goes, there are a few other kids down there as well, maybe one of them moved them. Theyre the green block kind that have a nice smell to them. Maybe one of the kids took them to play with thinking they were some sort of blocks. I dont know. I seriously doubt any of those kids would know they are mouse poison. Heck, I didnt know, but I knew enough to leave them alone. So far my animals are ok, thats all that really matters. 

The whole lying about the simplest things, like just *being* in the feed room is what gets me. If she'll lie about that then she'll lie about anything. She was just "grounded" by her moms live in friend a couple weeks ago for lying. Apparently she hasnt learned anything.

50 minutes ago, QueenBAW said:

Exactly. Thank you!

As far as the mouse poison goes, there are a few other kids down there as well, maybe one of them moved them. Theyre the green block kind that have a nice smell to them. Maybe one of the kids took them to play with thinking they were some sort of blocks. I dont know. I seriously doubt any of those kids would know they are mouse poison. Heck, I didnt know, but I knew enough to leave them alone. So far my animals are ok, thats all that really matters. 

The whole lying about the simplest things, like just *being* in the feed room is what gets me. If she'll lie about that then she'll lie about anything. She was just "grounded" by her moms live in friend a couple weeks ago for lying. Apparently she hasnt learned anything.

I'm glad your animals are all ok. I'd be concerned, though, about some kid having two blocks of mouse poison and, not knowing what they are, what if they're left laying around and, someone's pet gets hold of it? 

Could be though, they were taken by the mice, we used to put out the mouse baits and, had to stop because, we were finding pieces of it in the hay, where we assumed the mice had taken it.

8 hours ago, equicrzy said:

I'm glad your animals are all ok. I'd be concerned, though, about some kid having two blocks of mouse poison and, not knowing what they are, what if they're left laying around and, someone's pet gets hold of it? 

Could be though, they were taken by the mice, we used to put out the mouse baits and, had to stop because, we were finding pieces of it in the hay, where we assumed the mice had taken it.

We have thought about that too. The adults are all aware that the poison is missing and are keeping an eye on their pets. The other kids were supposed to have been asked about the poison too. We've only seen mice (and only 1 at that) in the feed room, no rats...and there are no holes large enough for the block to have been pulled through by a mouse.

If those are the mouse blocks I'm thinking of, they're supposed to be in a container that has a hole just big enough for a mouse or a larger container for a rat. They shouldn't be in there without it. Your dogs or anyone else's dogs or a kid could be poisoned easily. I'd be really worried about their whereabouts.

As far as the girls, if you don't have the patience for them, it would be best to cut them loose. They're acting out because of their home situation. They are trying to make you angry to punish their mom. Makes no sense, but that's how kids think. They'll probably grow up just like her if they don't get help.

7 minutes ago, jubal said:

If those are the mouse blocks I'm thinking of, they're supposed to be in a container that has a hole just big enough for a mouse or a larger container for a rat. They shouldn't be in there without it. Your dogs or anyone else's dogs or a kid could be poisoned easily. I'd be really worried about their whereabouts.

As far as the girls, if you don't have the patience for them, it would be best to cut them loose. They're acting out because of their home situation. They are trying to make you angry to punish their mom. Makes no sense, but that's how kids think. They'll probably grow up just like her if they don't get help.

Don't get me wrong, I am concerned about where the mouse poison went, but I cant exactly search hundreds of acres for it. All I can do is keep a good eye on my own animals. My dog Faith doesnt go in the feed room at all, and Bennie comes in just to see what Im doing and then goes back out. I have an eye on her the whole time shes in there, which is seconds long. My landlord is the one that put the blocks in the feed room, and hes currently working on a different/safer way to have it in there. 

As far as the girls...I think Ive been pretty patient, more than patient.

Edited by QueenBAW

Ive had critters in the past move the blocks.  They weren't moved very far but moved none the less.  

Do believe you have provided much opportunity & respect to these girls.  In turn they are not respecting you.  No matter the age of the kids they do have a understanding of respect just that not many adults call them out on it.  I have given the respect lecture many times to kids & it amazing the expressions on their faces when you do.

You have an uphill battle if you are teaching honesty to kids that do not have this rule enforced at home.  It isn't that you shouldn't try, you most certainly should, but you'll need to set the stage.

If you teach honesty, you must be always honest.  In everything.  That includes white lies.  If they see a contradiction, you will destroy any progress you have made. You have to be beyond reproach in everything.  Even little cheats here and there will undermine what you are trying to instill in them.  

Punishment for lying?  Extra chores before riding.  Let them work and think.  Nothing better for thinking than a monotonous chore.  

Just my opinion.  It's worth very little on the free market.  Maybe .01 cent.

Has anyone raised mushrooms? 

No, not THAT kind!  :crazy:

Shiitake mushrooms!  We had to take down a tree and I stacked the logs and ordered a kit to inoculate the logs.  The wood is no good for firewood, but great for growing mushrooms.  It takes about 8-16 months to get them going.  

Edited by little cow

My farrier last year was harvesting shrooms that were growing in my paddock.  Wouldn't catch me harvesting shrooms as have no clue what it what in our woods.

Never raised mushroom, in Florida you might be able to get them started naturally easier, I've seen articles about those that raise them commercially  here up north, but I'm under the impression, they do it indoors, under a controlled environment.   I know there are people that pick a variety of wild mushrooms, & in large amounts, that do sell them to make some pocket change.  PD

I'm too chicken to eat mushrooms raw, but I do like shiitakes in stir fry.  They sell for quite a bit and the ones from logs taste better than those grown in sawdust.  

The tree we took down was a Chinese Tallow.  This type of tree was first imported to the US by Benjamin Franklin.  Otherwise known as a Popcorn tree or Florida Aspen, because of it's leaf shape.  It is also invasive as anything and has taken over areas in the South.  It sends out hundreds of babies every year and impedes the growth of grass near its root system.  Ag Extension Agent said to take it down and treat the stump.  After hacking away at over 150 saplings around its base, I agreed.  Now, it can be put to a better use.  Thanks a lot, Ben!  LOL!

Edited by little cow

All the mushroom growers in this area used to contract for the manure from Churchill Downs. I don't know if they still do or not. I wash mushrooms to death because I learned that fact a long time ago, LOL.

16 hours ago, little cow said:

You have an uphill battle if you are teaching honesty to kids that do not have this rule enforced at home.  It isn't that you shouldn't try, you most certainly should, but you'll need to set the stage.

If you teach honesty, you must be always honest.  In everything.  That includes white lies.  If they see a contradiction, you will destroy any progress you have made. You have to be beyond reproach in everything.  Even little cheats here and there will undermine what you are trying to instill in them.  

Punishment for lying?  Extra chores before riding.  Let them work and think.  Nothing better for thinking than a monotonous chore.  

I have to disagree, it isn't her job to instill manners in kids that aren't hers..... she's tried, for so long, she's tried, but, when the home life doesn't support her efforts, it isn't up to her to see to it, the girls learn.

Until/unless their mother gets on board, she's fighting a losing battle.

It also isn't up to her, to dole out punishment for kids that aren't hers, if she discontinues the riding, they might get it.

Edited by equicrzy

21 hours ago, little cow said:

I think Ive always been honest with her, and the rest of the kids. I think Im beating my head against a brick wall with her because her mom doesn't discipline her at all. There are no consequences for her actions. As far as chores before riding...I might as well talk to the wind because shes not going to do it. She doesnt do chores at home, why would she at the barn?

4 hours ago, equicrzy said:

I have to disagree, it isn't her job to instill manners in kids that aren't hers..... she's tried, for so long, she's tried, but, when the home life doesn't support her efforts, it isn't up to her to see to it, the girls learn.

Until/unless their mother gets on board, she's fighting a losing battle.

It also isn't up to her, to dole out punishment for kids that aren't hers, if she discontinues the riding, they might get it.

Thank you. Im not sure what Im going to do. Part of me wants to sit down with her and talk to her and explain to her that theres no reason to lie to me about anything, anything at all, and that if she ever needs to just talk Im here for that too.

The other part of me says screw it and not allow her to ride anymore. Why have I been bending over backwards to let this kid ride when shes so spoiled and disrespectful? She has a mother, let her mother take her riding.

Well I bought a saddle! And it fits! I tossed it on the old Appy mare for a test ride and its what Ive been looking for. I didn't ride Sonic because there wasnt a soul around and weirdly my jeans pockets werent deep enough to carry my phone. His turn is definitely coming though.

received_1454324311363521.jpeg

2 minutes ago, QueenBAW said:

Thank you. Im not sure what Im going to do. Part of me wants to sit down with her and talk to her and explain to her that theres no reason to lie to me about anything, anything at all, and that if she ever needs to just talk Im here for that too.

The other part of me says screw it and not allow her to ride anymore. Why have I been bending over backwards to let this kid ride when shes so spoiled and disrespectful? She has a mother, let her mother take her riding.

You certainly have more patience than I, I would have called it quits long ago.......oh, who am I fooling, I wouldn't be in that position in the first place.....lol... I have to be honest about it... I do, admire your dedication.

1 minute ago, QueenBAW said:

Well I bought a saddle! And it fits! I tossed it on the old Appy mare for a test ride and its what Ive been looking for. I didn't ride Sonic because there wasnt a soul around and weirdly my jeans pockets werent deep enough to carry my phone. His turn is definitely coming though.

received_1454324311363521.jpeg

Nice! Congratulations!

Wow.  She refuses to do chores but wants to ride?  I'd say no chores no ride.  Take a hike if you don't like the rules.  Your barn your rules.  What she does at home is different, but if you set a rule for all kids to follow, you hold them to it. 

I guess I don't understand your situation.  I thought this was a student in which case, you are setting an example and trying to be a role model.   Are you getting paid to teach lessons?  Is she a barn brat with a horse boarded?  Best of luck to you.

Edited by little cow

12 minutes ago, little cow said:

Wow.  She refuses to do chores but wants to ride?  I'd say no chores no ride.  Take a hike if you don't like the rules.  Your barn your rules.  What she does at home is different, but if you set a rule for all kids to follow, you hold them to it. 

I guess I don't understand your situation.  I thought this was a student in which case, you are setting an example and trying to be a role model.   Are you getting paid to teach lessons?  Is she a barn brat with a horse boarded?  Best of luck to you.

Shes lazy, point blank. Doesnt want to be bothered with grooming but will occasionally help do things. Its her way or no way sometimes, and often times she comes to the barn with a bossy attitude (especially if new kids are there, like shes the teacher) and a chip on her shoulder. 

Im not paid anything to give lessons, or deal with the kids at all. None of the kids have horses there, the horses they ride belong to me. The land belongs to my landlord, which is their grandfather. He has told me that I dont have to deal with the kids, but since I *have* for so long, I kind of feel like its expected...not by my landlord though. The kids started trickling down when I brought my horse there. A few showed interest in riding, and so it began. 

2 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

QB fantastic you found a saddle.  Sure hope it fits your boy.

It does! My friend that sold it to me even threw in a built up wither pad just to make sure lol. I tossed it on Sonic yesterday evening and dont need the built up pad at all.

I wish I hadve taken pics of all the saddles he has in his house. Must be at least a thousand, no kidding. All makes, all models, and everything in between. Saddle styles Ive never even seen before...like a side saddle with a basket around the rider, and a few others. Some oooold saddles, some new, it was crazy. I could just look at saddles at his place all day.

WOW Queen BAW, I can't even imagine being a kid and having that kind of attitude around horses!  I would have been polishing the horse's hooves just for the chance of being near them, never mind getting rides!  Sounds like you're been exceedingly patient and haven't exactly been rewarded for it.  Maybe one day she'll mature a bit and give you a real apology, it doesn't sound like she even believes she did anything wrong.

That's a comfy looking saddle!  

QB,  Nice looking saddle you found, & glad it works for your appy mare.   I think you have done all you can for this girl, right now you are fighting a loosing battle, so might be best to cut her loose, & let her go home to where she has no rules.  But she won't be riding & causing you any problems either, & just one less headache for you.  But sooner than later, she have to live in an adult world where there are rules that have to be followed,  & mom won't be there to bend the rules for her, & life could get difficult.   PD

That sounds difficult.  Perhaps she feels entitled because of grandpa.  If you turned her away, would she run to grandpa and then get a dose of reality when he told her you were right?  Is this the same kid that had to apologize a few months ago?

50 minutes ago, little cow said:

That sounds difficult.  Perhaps she feels entitled because of grandpa.  If you turned her away, would she run to grandpa and then get a dose of reality when he told her you were right?  Is this the same kid that had to apologize a few months ago?

Yes, this is the same kid. And yes she does run to grandpa telling him shes done nothing wrong....he of course knows better and sides with me.