PD, I'm very sorry.  So many things must feel unfinished.  Take your time.  When there is a big job, or a hard one, either emotionally or physically, I just nip at it until it's done.  A little here and there adds up over time.    

LC,  Thanks for your good thoughts, but my biggest problem is just plain ignorance,  Mozelle had both flower beds & some scrubs that she looked after, & I don't know if some need trimming or not.  After this season I will have a better handle on things,  do have people I can ask, if I need help, neighbor lady already ready said she would help if need be.  But Thanks for your moral support.   PD

11 hours ago, little cow said:

QB, sounds like she is using her grandaddy to raise money.  I doubt much of it will actually be used for the farm.  

Lol oh yeah theres that too. Her mom and stepdad aren't working...havent in a while and usually don't keep a job long when they do have one. They live on the same farm as the grandaddy. Ive yet to see her raise anything, so maybe she came to her senses. 

Good Gravy we have gone from winter to summer.  70+ with really heavy air,  please bring the rain.  Sure hope this doesn't mean it is going to be a miserable hot humid summer.

RRW, seems like we are having the same weather. Muggy!! Chance of tornadoes tomorrow and Thursday. 

Just had to share a picture of my azella bush. It is around 30 years old.

IMG_20180501_111128420.jpg

Danyel wow never seen one so big.

They will grow here but not as full or big.  I'd love to plant some at the farm, with all the pine we have they would get the acid they need to grow nice.

Edited by RailroadWoman

Pretty Danyel! I had one that big once, right outside my bedroom window. It was the most awful bright orange. It cast a glow over the whole room that made it look like it was on fire!

Well yesterday I got tired of working inside.  So after picking up Short man we went shopping & started a project.  Then started some clean up.

IMG_20180504_080854.jpg

IMG_20180504_080840.jpg

RRW, on my tablet that photo looks like a giant cavern opened up under the log building. I'm glad I scrolled up to see it was a planting project. The picture of Shortman looks like every 4th grade boy I ever taught, LOL!

Jubal, the bed in front of the motel is nothing but layers of mulch.  Then there are a number of dead bushed to be pulled out.  This Sunday we plan to do some cleanup with the skidder, so I am trying to get the bed cleaned & use the bucket to pick up all the crud.  Also use the bucket to pull out the dead bushes.  

I would like to plant a flowering crab or maybe a Mt. Ash.  Mt. Ash would be messy with the berries but it would provide a good pop of color.  Another good one to plant would be a amur maple as they are rich in color & can be really bright in the fall.

Spring has skipped me too, its summer sunshine here, and the heat to go with it.

Everything is going good. My second job in the lab is going awesome. I love it, and they love me.

Zarinna can now tack up her horse by herself and is cantering comfortably. Im getting to ride Sonic almost every day, and man its nice. 

Yall, I just have to brag on Zarinna for a minute! She has officially become my riding partner, not just a student. We cantered all over the fields yesterday and she loves it! Sonic had a stinker moment and tried to toss me (I think Bennie jumping out of the tall grass didnt help lol) but I hung in there. Meanwhile Zarinna was cantering behind me. She kept her cool and rode her horse away from me and Sonic and then asked me if I was ok. Lol, she did good! Last year she wouldve freaked out if that hadve happened. I was so proud of her! Shes got the saddling and brideling down pat all on her own with the exception of tightening the girth, she isn't strong enough for that yet but she does try. She does it on her own while I tack up Sonic and then I just tighten her girth and she puts her foot in the stirrup and gets on up there. No more tacking up 2 horses and giving her a leg up for me lol. Finally, a riding partner! Yaay!

No prediction but I am watching. Justify is the favorite. It is raining so that changes things. Over half the horses racing today have never raced in rain and mud.

Well, he did it! I hope that will convince some trainers that horses don't have to race at two.

True, Jubal! Mike Smith is a fantastic jockey. He pulled him out front  and stopped being blasted with mud! He has to be my favorite jockey. The talent of the horse will shine with a talented jockey.

Truly hate when life drops a bag of monkey wrenches on you.  Then figuring to pros & con's of it all.  Only to come back to the original line of thought.

LC, across the country if you talk to any business owner the number one subject is lack of staffing.  Everywhere you go there is a need for staffing.  We have been able to work around the staffing situation up to a point.  However, where key positions open up due to either staff moving, decide they are not cut out for the job or are terminated can really put a wrench in things.  So now at a stage where trying to figure out how I can split my time between two locations Wednesday through Saturday.

Mitosis anybody????

Good Morning everyone! 

I live!!! Lol! I wanted to check in and there has been waaayyy to much happening here for me to go back and check in with everyone--so I'm just going to jump back into the fray. 

I've been busy ticking away here at work in the museum--busying myself with programming and dealing with collections issues as they come up. Our "History on Tap" program I developed really took off when we launched that in January. We have had standing room only events at the local brew pub we host it at. That is super encouraging and I'm glad that people have so much interest in our local history. It's been a mixed bag of ages too so that's also super amazing! I'm currently working on developing a Cemetery tour. I hope that it will draw more attention to the cemetery; potentially offer some funding for that place and maybe get them some volunteers/help to keep up the place. Legally the city can only fund 10K per year, so they could use the help/attention. 

Haven't been riding AT ALL because I have been so busy and dealing with a multitude of other things. It's suppose to be beautiful today so I think after work I'm going to go out to the farm, shoot my bow, and pet a pony. Would be nice to try and ride. Hopefully my ponies don't beat me up *too* badly. :crazy:

I hope everyone has a great day! 

SWW, our town has a cemetery preservation group that holds events at the cemetery in the chapel. The local theater group chooses citizens who are buried there and dresses in period costumes and tells their stories. Then, the audience is taught how to clean grave stones and do other tasks and they work for a while before leaving. It has gotten quite popular.

Anyone ever raised a baby possum?  (Okay, disclaimer, I know they are formally called opossums, but it's a dang awkward word, so i am going with the Southern vernacular).  I rescued one from a dog a few days ago.  Had no idea what I was getting into.  Called the wildlife rescue folks, but they never called back.  Left a message after their recording talked about how busy they were.  I suppose that's' why they never called back.  

First things first, possums are not a rabies risk.  They can have other unpleasant things, but not rabies.  I use gloves when handling her, but she has not offered to bite.  I have a blanket that she hides in when she feels shy.  I only handle her for 4-6 times per day feedings.  

Anyway, I found the Opossum Society online and have been getting a crash course in possum care.  Since we just got Jacob to 8 weeks successfully, I figured no big deal.  Well, actually, unlike kittens, which are relatively independent by 8 weeks, possums are dependent on their mothers until 5 months.  This one is about 3 months old.  I have 2 months of work to do to get her back out in the wild.  We have a great place to release her at our new farm. 

Right now, she is sleeping on my lap in a blanket with a full belly of a special concoction that was suggested by the possum folks.  Cute little bugger.  About the size of a rat right now.  We named her Martha, but she is not a pet.  She is going home when she's old enough.  

Always something going on around here.  As soon as one baby is big enough, there is another to care for.  This is a great distraction from our recent losses, however.  Our son was dancing around the house whooping and hollering happily when we found out she needs two months of care!