RRW, can't wait to see what that project looks like!  How do you find employees?  General ads?  Maybe you could ask local church offices if they know anyone looking for work?  If they have a strong community, they should be able to help.  Same goes for mosque, synagouge, etc...  Even veteran's organizations.  

We are more concerned about salmonella and leptospirosis, so we wash our hands meticulously after handling her.  EPM is low risk since she is in the house and not the barn and her feces and urine have no contact with horse hay or grain.  She will have an excellent release site away from the barn at the new property.  The dog and cats will discourage her from hanging out in the barn as long as we pick up their kibble at night.  

LC, that little critter is lucky it found you.  Show up at my place & it probably would have met the other end of my shovel.

There is no lack to working at getting the word out with employment.  It is a problem across the country & not just localized in our area. 

Consumers are going to start seeing the effect of the problem when cost of product goes up.  There is a massive shortage of semi drivers & there is also issues with getting product shipped via rail due to not enough employees.  

I'll post some pictures of the finished project.  Yesterday the boys got the drywall up in one of the bathrooms & the second is ready.  We had taken the one master bath & made two baths out of it.  It is turning out really nice.  The painting is done in the kitchen, so no more dark wood everywhere.  I knew it would brighten up the space but wow what a difference.

I've got a new Odie funny for you all.  As you know there is no lack of entertainment when one owns an Odie.

Today while stocking & putting away my cart Mr. Odie was in the mini hall where the coffee maker, ice machine, brochure racks & the quarter candy dispenser are located.  That fart went to the candy dispenser & stuck is tongue in the skittle shoot.  I am totally mortified & he just walks away like nothings wrong.  So immediately out came the disinfectant cleaner.

Tonight we went for dinner.  Odie was left in the front lobby all safe & sound.  Room door locked, gate secure so can't go behind the counter.  We guess what??  Come back to find he had opened the two containers of brad nails that were on a table.  Totally forgot that he also loves to open stuff.  He opened a Mother's Day gift that was in the truck the other day.  

Jubal we haven't had many gift Christmas because we go on vaca.  When we had Casey Bunny there were a few years of wrap patching. One year I wrapped with brown shipping paper then custom decorated each gift.  Boy did she have fun under the tree then.  Higher quality of paper the better it tastes.

Odie is just that...Odie.  The only safe place in the truck is the glovebox.  Center council he nows how to open the lid.  He has opened zip bags of Lego's because there was nothing else to do.

He is a goof but our loveable goof

15 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Don't believe my mom.  Its all lies she tells.

IMG_20180513_204409.jpg

He's just being, inquisitive!  And, helpful..." Here, let me help you with that, you might get a paper cut, or something."

:rotf:  Odie is awesome.  My grandmother would love to borrow him before Christmas.  She is notorious for peeking at presents before the big day..  

We always have a way of having critters with a lot of personality.  I am of the notion it is because of the way we treat them.  Heck when we had the chickens they were fun to interact with not to mention watching what they were doing at any given time.

2 minutes ago, little cow said:

We have weird animals, too.  I have no idea why.  :crazy:  Really.  

Haha....our son once said to us..."you guys always end up with weird dogs!"....it isn't the dogs, it us...haha...they end up reflecting our personalities...lol..

Our dogs have always had some silly little quirk that others wouldn't want.  So we go with the notion that we are the family to love them.

Willy was our chicken dog.  He was like that little 4yr old with no confidence in anything new.  Had to encourage & when accomplish you praised with clapping & cheering like he was a little kid.  Wouldn't you know it that dog would prance around like he just climb a mountain.

Thanks, Jubal.  It was a very mild colic, and I switched her over before it got serious.  In fact, she colicked on the weekend when the vet was so far away on other calls that they couldn't make it out.  Plus, since she responded to treatment so well, the vet never did have to come out.  Cheapest colic ever!  She is enjoying her grass hay/alfalfa mix now.   The pony benefited from her belly ache as well because I thought since I switching one, I might as well switch both.  The pony has never had an issue, but I'm done with coastal as a horse hay.  I feed it to the cows, the donkey, goat, and sheep.  No other animals have issues with it.  In fact, the donkey would be at risk for founder on any type of alfalfa mix.  Just horses and ponies.  The wisdom from the vets around here is that it isn't a problem until it's a problem.  Most people feed it because it's cheap.  If a horse colics, switch them.  

Edited by little cow

Possum update!

We still have her.  The rescue didn't call us back.  The message said they were very busy.  I guess so!!  At this point, we don't need them.  We are in contact with a national rescue that is taking us through the process step by step.  If the local wildlife folks call us back, perhaps she could go with another possum around her age before release.  But, I'm not holding my breath.  

Her wound healed up fine.  It must have been superficial.  She recovered from her shock and we set her up in the garage in a big wire cage with hay, sticks, little blankets, and a water dish.  Our son named her Martha.  I got a quick crash course in making a formula for her and bought a little mini blender thing to grind it up.  The formula is mostly kitten food, but has a little fruit, veggie, yogurt, and a calcium supplement.  Apparently, they can get metabolic bone disease without supplemental calcium. 

She is doing well on four daily feedings and should be ready for release in two months.  The last few weeks will be minimal contact with us and she'll be in a pen near her release site.  The most important thing is not allow the dog or cats contact with her.  She needs to maintain her healthy fear of them.  

Edited by little cow

found BB tonight!
I hadn't seen her in 4-5 days.  1 day wouldn't be unusual but several in a row was highly unusual. I'd been checking the outbuildings, the roads and calling and listening for her.
Tonight I was walking to the barn and talking to her daughter who was following when I heard BB's distinct voice. I followed her voice and used my flashlight to find her. She was under plywood that was leaning against the shop.
Dirty. Thin. Limping. 
I saw she was having difficulty taking steps so I carefully lifted her and carried her to the garage. I still have the crates set up for when I was familiarizing myself with a TNR cat I took in. She has fresh water and I gave her a plate of canned food mixed with water to help hydrate her.
Horseshoer is coming tomorrow morning and when he's done I'll take BB to the vet to see what is wrong with her leg or pelvis. 

She is around 12yrs old and I still have three daughters (deaf JingleBelle, Kiki and Maddie) from her last litter.

Image may contain: outdoor

I had to drop her at the vet to be seen between appointments since they were booked up.  As they were checking her in, I was scrubbling her head and she was making biscuits with her front paws.  All of her claws are worn down to splintered nubs, which points towards hit-by-car.  
I okay'd X-Rays, anesthesia and surgery though they said they'd try and reach me when they have a firm diagnosis of what is wrong and what they suggest for treatment.  Depending on treatment and anesthesia, I may be able to bring her home tonight at 7pm or may have to wait until tomorrow.
Considering she was HBC, I'm simply glad she is alive.  This will probably be "the retirement" hit for her that turns her into a housecat.

Vet called me at 3pm to let me know they will need to sedate BB for X-Rays and they will do it after 5, so around now.  I'll stop by after I close the library at 7 (vet is open until 7) and check in with BB and her vet to find out what will need to be done to help her.

Late with the update but sedation and xray showed no broken bones, but a dislocated hip.  Vet tried to manipulate it back into place but the injury was too old and the tendons were too tight.  She is home for the weekend and I take her in Monday to have the ball head of her femur removed.  She will heal and the muscles and tendons will create a floating joint.  
BB will be permanently retired to house cat status.

aad.jpg

aaa 05.17.2018 3am.jpg

aac.jpg

Poor BB. I hope she can adjust to being a house cat. The one that found me last year, Grace, won't go outside. If I open the door, she goes under the couch, LOL.

On 5/5/2018 at 7:15 PM, jubal said:

Well, he did it! I hope that will convince some trainers that horses don't have to race at two.

Did y'all hear me yelling?! The Triple Crown is still alive! I hope he didn't hurt something.  Maybe the Belmont will be dry.

Jubal, I was cheering him on. That was a good race.

We went to a graduation party this afternoon. The people have a 19 month old Mastiff. He must weigh 200 lbs. A big slobbering gentle giant! He was so lovable but the slobbers were tremendous! I fell in love with him except for the fact that he wiped his mouth on my white capris!!!!!