12 hours ago, Danyel said:

Jubal, I was cheering him on. That was a good race.

We went to a graduation party this afternoon. The people have a 19 month old Mastiff. He must weigh 200 lbs. A big slobbering gentle giant! He was so lovable but the slobbers were tremendous! I fell in love with him except for the fact that he wiped his mouth on my white capris!!!!!

Haha! I had a friend who had a Saint Bernard. Instead of a neckerchief, he wore a bath towel around his neck to wipe the slobbers off him and his victims.

BBs surgery went well with no complications.  I brought her home yesterday and settled her in.
No automatic alt text available.

By evening, she was swollen and sore.  Didn't want to eat last night but ate a good canned meal this morning before meds.

I wanted to comment about the Y shaped scar in the upper photo.  Vet asked me about it and the numerous tiny scars.  All I knew about was the triangle shaped bald patch at the back of her leg.  Vet says an injury like that was significant as the scar lines are long in three directions and there is muscle loss under there.  Whatever happened was bad but she had healed up by the time she made her way to us in 2009. 

It sorta looks like she caught it on razor wire. I've seen scars like that on horses from tangling with wire.

I don't know her life before she came to me, but I am trying to make her last lives The Best ones for her.

A little less swelling tonight, or maybe it is distributing evenly.
Image may contain: one or more people

Heidi, look like the swelling is down.

Well some progress is being made at the farm.  We have the boys out felling trees yesterday & today.  Stopped out there to see the progress & wow what a difference.  One oak in the paddock was completely rotted in the center, other dead pine in paddock was removed.  Hubby also had them take down pines up by the house.  It is amazing how just taking down a few trees really opens up the yard.

There are a few more to come down.  We are trying to clean up along the property line of what could possibly fall on the house if we get a good storm.  It also helps that we have a number of staff that heat with wood so they are taking the lumber.  Win win for everyone.

I made a big mistake by going to Walmart this morning. With Memorial day weekend plus we have Rocklahoma going on, the place was a madhouse! Rocklahoma brings 30 to 40 thousand people into our small town.

My youngest dog developed hot spots so she is wearing the cone of shame. I feel so sorry for her. She is to wear it 10 days. I put her in front of a fan last night. She finally fell asleep with the fan blowing in her face.

Everyone have a great weekend. I'm staying home away from the crowds.

Heidi, I hope your kitty heals fast. That looks like a big surgery.

She was standing up last night!
I think the swelling is almost gone.  Now everything inside just has to calm down and heal.  She bit my arm last night (just a scratch) as I was petting her.  She enjoyed having her head scrubbled but I think she is still in pain and had just hit her limit for attention with the last pet I gave her.  

And we picked up our new toy today:
Image may contain: sky, tree, outdoor and nature

Heidi, thanks for delivering my tractor & mower.  You are such a kind person, now I can really get some work done at the farm.

Danyel, summer hot spots are the worst.  Odie will get them at the dock of his tail as it seems like the undercoat never sheds.  If I keep up with the brushing we do ok.

Heidi,   What kind of details can you tell me about your new toy?! Kubotas are nice machine, I'd have one if my current tractor wore out on me.  Glad your cat is doing better, there are 6-9 cats that show in the morning to eat, but only one that is tame, a neutered Tom, that is pure white, that I call Ivory. PD

Oh, Danyel, she looks pitiful with her head/feet hanging dejectedly over the arm of the sofa.

We bought the next size up tractor from what we were originally looking at.  I decided I wanted something that could lift and move a round bale if I needed to, in addition to doing the other chores (mowing  and moving manure) around the property.  I'd rather have the power and not need it than need it and not have it.  It has "quick connects" for the implements, which my husband really likes.  We also have a brush hog with a heavy-duty blade for thick work, an auger and a grading blade.  We will check ads for a 3-point round bale spear to buy later on.  

We decided on the Kubota for several reasons.  The man we bought our trailer from pointed out that most tractor housings are lightweight and/or fiberglass and will crack or break if you rub against something but Kubota is all sturdy metal, so it may dent but it won't crack or break.  Also, John Deere is proprietary and will only hook up to other JD implements (unless you make modifications).  Other tractor manufacturers stick to a common standard and implements of different brands (except JD) are compatible.  The trailer guy had a couple JDs, a Kubota and a Case excavator and said he preferred his Kubota.  He felt he "paid for the JD name" when he bought his two and got better value from his Kubota purchase.  One of the major points in our decision is someone my husband worked with always did exhaustive research before he made purchases to ensure he got the best bang for his buck and when he tractor shopped he bought a Kubota.  I figured if it was good enough for Joe, that's good enough for me and I don't have to re-do his research!

Of course, it is raining and the ground is squishy so we will have to wait to play with it.

Heidi,  Thanks for all the info on your Kubota,  had friend that runs a small horse operation , & he bought a Kubota, sometime ago, & it does everything  he could ask for.  He has belly mower deck he can use to mow his riding arena & lawn, plus a loader to stack big square bales, he has been very pleased with it.   As we get bigger we need bigger toys. Enjoy.     PD

Howdy all! Sorry Ive been MIA. Been keeping busy with my 2 jobs, the horses, and of course Bennie. Everyone and everything is doing well. I'll try to upload a pic of the recent train robbery in a bit. I revamped my saloon girl outfit this year...I have gained some weight. My cowgirl has been doing awesome, no naughtiness.

Ok, now let me rant a little. My cowgirl has been putting in the work on these mini yearlings. I even introduced her to a pair of clippers and let her have at it. She knows that everything she does with them is teaching them, and her. They've gotten quite good at basic obstacles, and so we have planned to take the 2 mini yearlings to a local show 15 minutes from our place. The plan is to do the in hand trail classes, model, and showmanship. Ive made her fully aware that since this will be their first time off the farm, they will probably act all willy nilly and the important thing to do is to just hold tight and enjoy the experience. We're there to learn, not to win. And she is just fine with that.  This will be good for her, and the minis. With that said, heres my rant....Im not getting any support from her parents or grandparents. Finding someone to haul us has been an act of congress and Im still not 100% sure we have a ride. Both grandfathers have trucks and trailers. You would think they would be jumping at the chance to haul their grandkid and watch their first horse show. But no. One of her grandfathers has reluctantly agreed to haul us, but hes so flaky and unreliable that I feel like I need a back up plan.  The other grandfather (my landlord - and I love him don't get me wrong, hes been great to me) keeps saying that he wont take us..but I cant tell if hes serious, or just messing with us. Its frustrating to say the least.  Especially when my cowgirl has worked so hard, and Ive paid for the coggins tests, halters, etc. As far as her parents are concerned, they haven't shown any interest. They don't watch her practice, etc. I DO plan on talking with her mom sometime soon about the entry fees. I just wish they all could see the potential for Zarinna to really get into showing. Theres 4-H, and other associations that she could be a member of and really do big things. I plan on taking her to watch the state 4-H horse show this year. If I had the money Id just buy a truck and trailer, but I feel like a little input from her family would be great, especially when they have the means. Rant over.

That's sad, Queen. But it is what it is. Now you know why she acts out. The grandfather that is your landlord seems like your best bet. Just tell him how you feel. Somebody related to this kid needs to show an interest. And don't forget for a minute how important you are in her life.

35 minutes ago, jubal said:

That's sad, Queen. But it is what it is. Now you know why she acts out. The grandfather that is your landlord seems like your best bet. Just tell him how you feel. Somebody related to this kid needs to show an interest. And don't forget for a minute how important you are in her life.

Thanks. Its very frustrating. Im starting to think maybe I should reach out to other horse people I know and inquire about a ride to the show. Ive even told both grandfathers that they really dont have to stay, just drop us off in the morning, unhitch the trailer, and leave. We wont be done til after lunch time anyway.

We've had our share of pathetic with dogs.  

Will your dog act worse when you are in the room?  Willy was a classic for faking.  The classic.....Willy had pulled a dew claw so I vet wrapped it till the swelling went down.  Because he had a booboo he would limp on that one paw.  So one day we were all standing around & just seen him running around all happy with the customers.  As he approached our group the limp was dramatically noticeable, then sat in the middle of us all picked up the wrapped paw & shake it like a shiver so he could get sympathy.  The more we ignored him the worse he shook the paw.

Dogs can be such con artists.

RRW, Clara is a whiner. I have to put a powder antibiotic on the spots and she acts like I'm killing her. I don't even touch her. The powder just puffs on:( 

Danyel thats really funny.  And this is why we have critters.

Not sure about the rest you & where you live.  But dang all it is nasty hot out today.  We should be in the upper 60's low 70's & not 90.  Mother Nature sure has not been a nice mother, she has been very mean & passing out the spankings.