15 minutes ago, jubal said:

Queen, I think I have a yearling show halter that would fit a mini. Take a picture of what they're using at the show, and I'll send it to you if you decide to  get more into the showing.

Awww that would be awesome! Thank you!

After I see your photos, I'll take a pic of mine to see if you want it. These were Saddlebreds, so the halter would have a smooth plastic covered noseband. I think it was red.

2018 Summer Reading Program kicked off to day with InvestiGATOR from Southeastern Reptile Rescue, presented by Jason Clark.
This is our most popular program and always received high attendance.
Image may contain: 7 people, people smiling, people standing

Certainly is interesting seeing a live gator up & close,  But it as close as I want to get. PD

We encounter gators fairly often down here, but from a distance.  The babies are cute, with their little stripes.  They lose those as adults.  Mama gators are surprisingly maternal.  When we think of reptiles, we think of them laying eggs and wandering off.  Not so with gators.  She nests and tends to her young, even carrying them in her open mouth.  One thing to be wary of in gator territory is whether or not you are near any nests (gator holes).  They will make a muddy, shallow area to raise their young.  Gators are very shy by nature, except when they have babies and you approach their nest.  

That looks like a fun presentation.  Our son had the "Bug Man" visit his class.  He came home full of excitement about holding a giant cockroach and seeing a scorpion and tarantula up close.  I'll bet that was a neat event, Heidi.  Is school out, yet, for your area?  I'll bet you have a lot of programs for kids this summer.   John has been out for a week from Catholic school and the public schools just ended this week.  

Edited by little cow

Moving the barn cat today.  We are about a week from moving into the new house. Bagheera (the one with cancer) will be locked up for a week in the extra large dog crate in the barn.  Then, when we actually get there, the two house cats that are becoming barn cats will go into crates for a week.  We hope Bagheera will show them the ropes before she passes.  I have so much to do that it feels a bit overwhelming.  The plan is that the first night we sleep there, all the animals will be there. I did the stall mats for two stalls yesterday.  I'll do the other two Tuesday.  No cuts from the carpet knife, yet, lol!  This week, we are building a 12 x 8 foot chicken coop for the layers and 5 x 10 foot walk-in rabbit shed for our two neutered bunnies.  We are using a lot of scrap wood, but we will be painting them to make it last.  I am picking up a roll of 19 gauge wire to pick up from a zoo supply company in the city.  23 gauge is standard at Home Depot and livestock stores, but it doesn't last down here.  If we have any wood left over, we will put a floor and door in the tack room.  Otherwise, the tack goes in the garage.  I wish everyone well.  Probably be too busy to check in much while we are moving over the next few weeks.  

Edited by little cow

I live near Atlanta, and there was a lake that was behind our house, I used to trespass on the neighbors to go back there.  They never cared.  Anyway, there were at least 3 alligators back there, we all knew it.  The neighbor used to feed them.  My brothers had them pop up by the john boat when fishing.  Then one day one of them made it to the other ritzy neighbors small ponds in front of their house and they made a big stink about it, it was on the news and all.  Ridiculous.  Just shoo it back to the big lake IMO.

I have a feeling they are still back there.  I do not live there anymore though.

Our summer programming is fun but the Reptile show is always the biggest draw because the presenter is engaging, fun and makes the kids laugh and have fun as they learn about Georgia's snakes and other creatures.

Gators should never be fed by people.  We have strict laws about it here.  It's deadly for the gator because normally shy gators start approaching people or houses looking for food.  They complain, gator is relocated or killed.

We changed the barn cat plan this morning.  I have two cats in extra large dog crates at the new farm.  Still have one more barn cat, once these two are free.  I need the second dog crate to move the chickens next week.  Poor kitties are not happy, but they should be very safe.  Two gates, plus their crates, between them and anything that might want to bother them.  

11 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

I love the fact they live in the south.

I'm with you.

Saw on the news a gator ate a woman out walking her dogs in South FL recently.

LC,  I clicked on your link, those dogs look very content having someone read to them, & no doubt it does give those kids alot more confidence in their reading skills, & the dogs like the sound of a voice talking to them, which makes them excellent listeners.

RRW,  I bet seeing Paul Simon  concert was AWESOME. Glad you got to go.   Best Wishes. PD

PD, it was really good.  We intived my mom as we had an extra ticket.  My dad asked here why she would go & she apparently answered that it was going to be fun.  Well needless to say she said it was AWESOME!!!  She has never been to a big ticket concert like this.

In a couple weeks we see Bonnie Raitt & James Taylor.  I am really looking forward to that concert & to top it off we have front row.

We noticed there are some concerts in later this year we would really like to see.  So hubby is going to put in the request for ticket availability.

RR, Bonnie Raitt puts on a great concert. I saw her years ago at the Hollywood Bowl.

Our library system does Read to the Dogs at all of our branches.  The kids and parents love it and there is usually good attendance.

Seems with kids they loved to read but its just finding that one thing for them to discover the love of reading.

Daynel, I have always loved her music.  This concert is going to be a fun one for me.  We just need to find someone to take along for the extra seat & that isn't as easy as some think.

There is a really nice library less than a mile from my old house.  I have never been and I am ashamed.  It is called Dog River Library, or Library in the woods.  

When I lived in Duluth I used the main library on my lunch breaks.  It was nice to have a place to go & just read a magazine or look at random books.

Our small library to me doesn't feel inviting or comforting for a place to go & read. 

Too many libraries have tables and hard chairs. They need couches and upholstered chairs and private nooks to encourage readers. Most of the people I see in our library are there for activities like yoga or to use the computers.

22 minutes ago, jubal said:

Too many libraries have tables and hard chairs. They need couches and upholstered chairs and private nooks to encourage readers. Most of the people I see in our library are there for activities like yoga or to use the computers.

The problem with couches and private nooks ..... is SEX.  You'd *think* oh-that-doesn't-happen-in-the-library but you would be wrong.  Soooo wrong. 
We had a loveseat in the children's reading area for parents to read stories to their kids but after countless diaper and vomiting accidents, it had to be thrown out.  It may appear uninviting but there is a real need for easily disinfected surfaces because uncomfortable seating is far better than the plague.   Our computer stations have wooden chairs but our study tables have upholstered seats/backs with wooden arms and we have 7 upholstered and comfortable reading chairs; 2 near the newspapers and 5 in a study area near the bay window.   Silence isn't demanded though we have several areas and a study room where patrons can expect silence so they have few/no distractions while they work.

Libraries (public libraries) are changing, they aren't our grandparents' silent institutions anymore.  They have morphed into community centers, focusing on what the community most needs their library to be.  Whatever activities libraries offer keep numbers coming in the doors and hopefully checking out the books - without resource use, libraries will close - so please don't trivialize them for doing whatever they can to remain viable, relevant, useful and open for their community.