What our library does is a number of smaller kid related activities but they now have a license to show movies.   Our community doesn't have very good programs for kids over the age of 8yrs.  It is all mostly geared for smaller children.  

Haha.....thats funny about the breaking in of the furniture.

Uh Oh! Well maybe the couches could be in front of picture windows facing on the street!

I guess I give people too much credit for normalcy.

Our old neighbor said one year his garden exploded with squash & zucchini.  Giving it away got so bad his neighbors wouldn't answer the door as they couldn't just say no.

Its kind of like having chickens that pop out eggs constantly & nobody will take them.

Been so busy that the horse and pony were turned out in the pasture for the last week.  Our days are long and exhausting as we move farm equipment and boxes from old farm to new farm. So, I thought since the rain has made the grass go crazy and they might as well enjoy it before we move.  They seemed fine when I checked on them from the fence.  I didn't actually get a chance to bring them in until last night.  Libby had a gash on her leg that was a few days old.  Poor old girl!  I cleaned it up, wrapped it, and gave her banamine for the swelling.  I'll call the vet today.  I noticed the old bathtub in the pasture was moved a few days ago, but I thought the wood supporting it finally rotted away.  If I had looked closer, I would have noticed someone ran into it.  Libby is half blind and has has diminished vision in her good eye.  That bathtub has been there forever, but she probably spooked at something and ran into it.  

Heidi you make me want to go to the library.  I get what you are saying about the chairs though.

I love squash.  Squash casserole is the best.

I hope your mare is ok.  We had something similar happen to our big dumb red gelding.  He was gashed badly down to his cannon bone and 6-8 inches long, some years ago and it had been there a week.  He was totally sound.  We actually did not much more than wash it (but not scrub because I believe that makes proud flesh) put triple antibiotic on it and let it heal.  It healed beautifully.  You really cannot see it now.  

Welp, here we are..the Monday before the show. Minis have been clipped and look nice. Im leaving the mane, not braiding. I bought a pair of cowgirl boots for one of my Cowgirls and they both now have everything they need. Bringing helmets just in case. Im making my list of stuff to bring..bucket for water, chairs, canopy, cowboy magic, cooler of sandwich makings and drinks, brushes, clean cloths to wipe muzzles etc. Im not off work again til Wednesday, so we'll practice that day. Oh, and thank goodness their granddaddy (my landlord) is hauling us...pappy flaked out like I figured he would. Im hoping these kids' parents etc come watch them, but Im not holding my breath.

Makes one wonder how some of these ponies can find trouble for themselves.

QB sounds like you are organized & ready to go.  When packing early I always lay everything out so have that visual before loading it up.  Then constantly go over the list in my right before we leave.

1 hour ago, RailroadWoman said:

Makes one wonder how some of these ponies can find trouble for themselves.

QB sounds like you are organized & ready to go.  When packing early I always lay everything out so have that visual before loading it up.  Then constantly go over the list in my right before we leave.

Yep, that's what Ill do too. At least Im only 15 minutes away from the show in case I forget something.

Good luck at the show!

The vet just left.  I have some cool silver spray for her wound.  Got to wash it twice a day and put meds on.  It should heal up just fine.  We discussed her blindness and how her good eye is getting worse.  She is very trusting of me and may do just fine with the move, but the vet and I had to discuss options.

LC,  I hope your mare heals up okay, horses don't get old without being tough, but still, I wish her the best.

QB,  I wish those girls well as they practice for the show, & do hope their moms & dads will give them the support they need. PD

Good luck to you and the kids, Queen. It will be a good learning experience for them and the ponies. And I'm sure they'll remember it for the rest of their lives.

I hope your mare adjusts to the move well, LC, and the rest of the crew does too.

Today is one of those days you are keeping busy & constantly moving.  Or at least thats what you think until one checks the time.

Really it's only 4pm???  Guess I am off to go do another something to get done.

Been alot of things to keep me busy since spring got here  spent last 2 days staining our front & back decks, haven't had to do this in the past without a straw boss sitting in her chair, commenting on my work, or lack of there of. Many of the things that needed my attention, I hadn't done completely alone, so I had to find a system, to get it done,  that has been a challenge, but I'm making progress,  then may be I can get my horses out for a ride.  I really should, as my daugter is coming home from Texas, & my grandaughter will want to ride.   I'll come back later when I have less to say.  PD

Edited by Proud Dad

Libby is looking a bit better already.  She does NOT enjoy the twice daily wound scrubbing.  I have to keep her in her stall/paddock for awhile because she is hard to catch in the pasture for this unpleasant task.  She does enjoy grain/antibiotic mix twice a day, though.  

Hope you got a lot done, RRW.  You must be in tourist season now.  How is it going?  

PD, maybe just go for that ride, even if you have more tasks to do.  Think of it as recharge time. 

Advice appreciated!

We're working on the stalls now.  I have to cut the mats for the last two stalls today and put up goodies, like salt lick holders and feeders.  Any opinions?  I have the small salt lick holders for the standard blocks.  I tried the fancy hanging ones on the old stalls, but they leave a stain on the stall walls and get pretty nasty.  So, I thought I'd go back to the old kind. 

The hay feeders are those big, solid, plastic corner feeders.  The old hay feeders with bars waste too much.  I hope these things are worth it.  Anyone have any luck with them?  It says you can feed grain, too, but I hesitate because I think the horse would get frustrated and try to shove the hay out of the way to reach the grain that falls to the bottom.  

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e07414-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&sfb=1&itemguid=930fedcd-3f99-46c3-9bbe-c0ae7f0606f5&utm_content=10751&ccd=IFH003&CAWELAID=120295250000107456&CATARGETID=120295250000181811&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKCAjwgYPZBRBoEiwA2XeupVmOIQ2OACfktTjNxgkjSZ9VzjIOTXGdG1ZuoIE8b2XLDlzCA6oFnxoCvx0QAvD_BwE

The last decision involves using bucket holders.  Right now, I place their buckets on the ground and pick them up later.  There are issues with this.  I would like the horse and pony to eat their grain out of buckets that I hang on the wall, but I don't want the buckets too high because of the risk of choke.  So, I have the hook with the ring around the top that fits flat backed buckets.  If I install it too low, there is a risk of the horse banging themselves against it (despite the protective ring).  Any thoughts?  Should I aim for above the knees but below the chest?  That was my thought as to height.  

On a happy note, I moved their stall name tags to the new barn yesterday.  So, they know which stall is theirs...*snort* 

Edited by little cow

LC, we are in tourist season until end of deer season.  It has been strange as the Fridays are booked at the motel but not Saturdays.  Mid week has also been consistent.  

Good luck figuring out where you want to place your feeders.  I am of no help with that discussion as my two have the ground for a feeding platter. 

Aaaand just like that, grandaddy has backed out on hauling us too. Awesome. Guess its a no go for the show. 

QB,   That is the pitts, that grand dad backed out of hauling  girls & ponies to show,  hope you find another way before you totally give up.  Best Wishes.  PD

QB - sorry that your ride to the show cancelled  - hope you can find someone else!

That's rotten!  Kids remember broken promises. Grandpa ought to rethink that.  Tell him those grandkids might be picking out his nursing home someday. 

Edited by little cow

I was so upset most of the day. Just cant fathom people who arent interested/supportive of their kids/grandkids. I couldnt even begin to imagine how I was going to break the news to my cowgirl. As it turns out, everything may be ok. Their pappy has to work that day but he says I am welcome to the truck and trailer. Thank goodness! I took the girls to the big nice tack shop today and we got our last minute supplies. I just have to do a grocery store run after work tomorrow for sandwich stuff. Oh, and my cowgirl says her mom IS coming to watch :-)