If Bubbles fits her personality then it should stay.  As for your other dog not having a designated name thats ok.  They will still answer to the person that  calls them whatever name.  Our Willy had about six different names he would answer to.  In fact had a customer ask once what his name was, I told her Willy & she stated she had not heard one person call him by his proper name.

By the way I have always enjoyed seeing pictures of your dog.  Oh & yes you do need a mini.

Hi guys.  A new report says that more and more homes in Florida will be in flood zones in the next 30 years.  Our old farm is high and dry (very high and dry).  Our new one did not flood during the 100 year flash floods during Irma, but the waters were nearby.  Maybe, we should lease out the old farm, just in case.

Does anyone have any experience leasing out a horse farm?  I have to talk to our home owner's insurance, but our mortgage is low and the rental prices are high for similar properties.  We have three stalls, so that would mean no more than three horses/cows.  The old hay barn has some roof damage on one end, so they could use it for hay storage, but not much else.  I was thinking about a one dog, one cat restriction for the house.  We would need to check on the renters often to make sure they caring for the land properly (mowing, cleaning up after the horses, etc...).  No boarding.  There is a pool, so, we would hire a pool maintenance company to care for it.  Anyone else have other lease restrictions that would be good?

Hmm, I think the middle stall with the smallest paddock might be better for hay storage and a two horse, for personal use, restriction.  

If you decide to lease it, I would get a lawyer with horse people experience to draw up the lease agreement. They know all the pitfalls.

QH, how about calling her Asher?  It will still have "ash" in the name and not be an Ashley.

LC, for your kitties, if you can, I think it would be best if you waited until you were AT the property to let the kitties out.  You don't want them to wander around wondering where their family is or cause them to leave to find their people.  With your family established at the new place, the cats learn where 'home' is and will establish their territory around their people.  I would be concerned that with your family not there, they may roam/stray too far in looking for you.

Thank you, Heidi!  We have been letting them out when we are there to watch them.  Bart is shy, so he goes back in his crate on his own before we leave.  Bagheera is full of herself and seems very confident.  I removed her crate and put her bed, food and water on the same table where her crate was.  She popped back up there for a snack and petting.  I think she is ready so we left her out.  I think it helps that we go there around the same time every day and stay for awhile.  I expect I'll see her waiting for me.  The only other worry is that there are nesting red tailed hawks in the area.  Now, we had them at the old farm as well, so I think Bagheera knows about them.  For those that don't know, red tailed hawks can and will hunt small cats, puppies, and kittens.  

Managing a property 30 minutes away is doable.  Our real estate agent has a management company to help with screening the prospective renters (I will check the animal database as well) with background checks.  We will do the final screening, like vet recommendations, etc...  They can also tell me what we cannot ask the renters.  We will padlock the stand alone pool and require the tenant to keep it locked unless they are using it and no one under 18 allowed alone.  All riders must wear helmets.  No horses not owned by the tenants are allowed.  All you can do is have appropriate rules in place.  If they don't follow them, that's why you have insurance.  

Sounds like you've got a great plan!  I agree, it also sounded like Bagheera was ready to explore.  I hope the hawks leave them alone.  I didn't know they'd hunt cats.

21 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

QH, how about calling her Asher?  It will still have "ash" in the name and not be an Ashley.

My boss named his son Asher.   We may just call her Demi.  It does go back to the litter theme sorta, and Demi means (among other things) half god and she certainly thinks she is special. 

Bubbles is another dog we have.  

LC, I would not want to deal with renters but your place sounds great to rent.  

Dangitall for everyone taking the good ash names!  LOL  I like Demi, especially since she thinks she is a God's gift to you.

The problem is, we know so many dogs in the show world.  All the names are taken, or we know humans with those names.

I even threw out naming her Shaughnessy.  Sure enough my daughter went to school with a girl named that and she hated her.  UGH.  We went thru every name website ever.  

When she is bad I call her Parson Puppy. 

Demi sounds good.  :)

Heidi, Bagheera was in good form today.  She seems quite content.  She is also anxious for us to bring in the hay and grain so she can have some small mammals to play with, lol!

They got the septic tank moved so the holding pattern is over.  A week to a week and a half until we move. :)

QH, what about the name of a favorite character in a book or movie.

One of these days a critter will be called McFly in our home.  We are always saying "Hey McFly, what you doing?" 

LC sure hope the weather will be good for your move.  Is your son getting a bit more excited?  Please post pics once you are in, especially where you put that beautiful tile.

The drain field was supposed to be this big, monstrous thing that would take up a sizable chunk of what we set aside for horse pasture.  I was bummed because I didn't have room for the round pen with 12 feet on every side to allow safe passage for horses in the pasture.  However, the drain field will be smaller than originally thought.  Much smaller.  Yes, one of those unsightly mounds, but, that means the surface area goes up, instead of out, which gives me enough room for the small pasture and round pen.  Yay!  The round pen will give us a place to turn the horses out while we save up for the pasture fencing.  Everything else is done.  Mats are down in the stalls.  Even the salt licks are up and ready.  

Bart, the other barn cat, insisted on staying out yesterday.  He follows Bagheera around, which she doesn't mind, actually.  I left his crate in place, but left the door open.  

My favorite book is Discovery of Witches series and I had actually named the puppy's sister Diana after the book.  :(  

Chey has been calling her Demi, so that may stick.  I am letting Chey use it a bit.  She was so underfoot last night I did not have to call her anything but "Watch Out".  We tried to take stacked photos, she is so lean.  I pour food to her.  Her tail is docked too long and it totally distracts me. I hate it.  But I am not going to have her redocked either, in a perfect world her tail would be an inch shorter.  

I'm glad this week is almost over! Clara got bit by a copperhead. We didn't see the snake but the vet said it was a venomous snake bite. The bite was on her forehead and only swelling on one eye. She is going to be fine. Clara looks terrible. They shaved her head and one eyebrow off. It really shook me up. I am not afraid of most creatures but snakes terrorize me.

Is Clara a human?  Yikes!

If Clara is a dog the copperhead is not normally fatal and treated with heavy doses of antibiotics.  I did have a friend lose a puppy to a timber rattler though. 

Clara's a dog! She is a terrier that won't stay out of trouble!! Over the years, I've lost 2 dogs to copperhead bites. One was a puppy and the other was elderly. 

I had a dog bitten by a copperhead once. Very scary, but she lived.

I had a patient bitten by a copperhead once too and it really did some damage to her liver. 

12 minutes ago, QueenBAW said:

I had a dog bitten by a copperhead once. Very scary, but she lived.

I had a patient bitten by a copperhead once too and it really did some damage to her liver. 

I hate those snakes!! I was so careful mowing today and working in the garden. I almost stepped on one in the chicken yard so I don't raise chickens anymore:mecry:

The ewes have dropped bellies and sunken areas in front of their hips.  Lambs are coming soon. We were hoping they would wait until we move, but too many delays.  They are in a lamb safe stall and paddock with fresh bedding and lots of attention.  Night checks begin tonight.  

LC, how many ewes are due? Hope you have easy lambing. My former yoga instructor is raising sheep now and trying to get a milking program going. She wants to eventually make and sale cheese.

It's our son has two ewes as his farm project.  These are registered St. Augustine hair sheep (they have wool, but shed it out rather than need shearing).  They were developed from Dorper and St. Croix, mostly.  Very gentle and sweet by nature.  It's a little registry and the wife of the founder lives an hour away.  She loaned us a ram named Rambo, lol!  He is very sweet, especially considering how nasty rams can be.  Our son's ewes are both white and Rambo is black and white, so it will be fun to see the babies.  

LC, so the sheep get brushed & not sheared?  

Last night was the concert.  It was really nice but the best part was seeing Bonnie Raitt perform.  James Taylor was really good but just a bigger fan of Bonnie.  Shortman really liked her music also & he had never heard her.  So needless to say getting home at 2 am makes for a slow start morning.  

Shortman is getting a new experience this morning.  A good friend has a trucking company & part of what they haul is milk.  We asked last year if Shortman could ever ride along.  Turned out our friend had to fill in on a route this morning so at 7:30am he was already with rubber boots to go on a milk run.  This is a perfect route as they will be back by 12:30.  From visiting pig barn in Canada to hauling milk ,playing trains & concerts nobody can ever say we don't expose our child to what the world has to offer.

Sounds as if Bart has let you know he's ready to explore with Bagheera.  When I let Gracie out of the wire crate, she buddied up with Maddie and they are best buddies who do everything together.  I was swimming laps last night and watched them wrestle on the concrete pad.  Gracie likes to wrestle on her back so she has her teeth and all four feet to use against Madd-cat.

Sorry to hear about the snake bite.  Our library always has a Reptile Rescue guy come do a show and he educates everyone about snakes, their place in the world and how to stay safe (stay away and don't handle) from them.

Shortman sounds as if he is having a fantastic childhood!  

RRW,  With Shortman's background, hard telling what he will do when he is older.  New & positive experiences are never a bad thing, just makes a person well rounded.  PD

So here is another for you.  You know how husbands might say it is ok for the wife to go look at horses then she shows up at home the next day with that new horse in the trailer?

Well during our ride home last night I had mentioned that it would be nice to have a convertible again.  Been a good 12yrs since the last one was eaten by a big buck. Then the fact we can't actually go anywhere in the summer because we are ball & chained to work but do enjoy going for drives to get away.  Told hubby it would be fun to have a VW Bettle topless just because it does have a back seat & most convertibles don't.  Guess what......Hubby found a bug on Craig's List & is on his way to Fargo to get it.  Then on the way home he'll surprise Shortman when he picks him up at grandma's.

Hubby loves driving a convertible & this was his chance to jump right on that request.  We would LOVE a solstice but it is only a two seater.  Gonna have to wait for Shortman to grow up into Tallman & move out before can get one.

I'll let you all know if a Chris- Craft boat shows up in my yard sometime soon.  Do believe that my husband just may be going into a midlife crisis.  Then again with my way of thinking it would make for a great cabin right on the water without the property taxes or grass to mow.

19 hours ago, Danyel said:

LC, how many ewes are due? Hope you have easy lambing. My former yoga instructor is raising sheep now and trying to get a milking program going. She wants to eventually make and sale cheese.

People milk sheep!?