Dairy sheep are milked for cheese and yogurt. I'll have to ask her how her cheese making is going. 

St. Augustine sheep can be used for milk.  They have lovely temperaments and decent yields.  I prefer sheep cheese to goat cheese, personally, but we have no plans to milk.  

Morning all. Just a little update. I'm still celebrating the girls and their minis...I'm just so proud! We haven't done anything with them since the show, its been raining/flooding every day here. I cant even tell you the last time we rode. Its either pouring rain, or 100 degrees, the only reasonable time to do anything outside is in the wee hours of the morning. In the meantime I have contacted a trainer I'm familiar with who I think will be good with the girls and the minis, and inquired about hauling in for a few lessons on setting up and positioning. It all sounds good, I just have to find a day/time that I can use the truck and trailer that's also suits the trainers schedule. Which leads me to my current issue. I need to win the lottery. I really need a good reliable truck, but I just cant afford it. I'm stuck. Pappys trailer is a 3 horse gooseneck...we don't really need a gooseneck and I could afford to buy a 2 horse bumper pull...but if Pappy is willing to let us use his trailer (and hes more than happy to let us use it) then theres no reason for me to buy one. The truck he is currently using to pull the trailer has got 3 wheels in the grave. If I could afford a truck..oh the places we would go. Theres a club or association or whatever you want to call it here that you can join and show for points which add up during the year. At the end of the year you can win awards. It seems to be more relaxed than 4-H and would be excellent for the girls. The shows are kinda all over and it looks like most of them are a drive from home. So, there again is my pesky truck issue. Maybe I can work on Grandaddy B to get us a truck...or loan us a truck. Cross your fingers.

In other, more personal news...my "family" situation has only gotten crazier. I now have pretty solid reason to believe that the man that Ive known as my dad for 38 years, is not my biological father after all. I'm still planning on doing a DNA test between my deceased brother (I have some of his hair to test) and I to see if we are full siblings. My youngest brother and I are not full siblings, which we found out months ago through a DNA test. At the end of the day I would just really like to know the truth, I think I deserve that.

QB,

I understand your need for a dependable truck,  a older 2 horse trailer would handle those minis. I do hope some opportunity opens up for you to get the things you need to help these girls go forward. Give you alot of credit for helping supporting these girls with a positive interest.

I wish you well on your family situation.   But don't let any of this drag you down,  as you have a good head on your shoulders & a loving heart.  Family is more than blood, these young girls have become part of your family, & I believe there will be more to come,  as there will be alot more girls from broken homes, that will need mentoring, I'm glad you are there for them.  Best Wishes. PD

Edited by Proud Dad

I'm sorry about the family situation.  We had some similar drama in my family, too.  How is your dad taking it?  

2 hours ago, little cow said:

I'm sorry about the family situation.  We had some similar drama in my family, too.  How is your dad taking it?  

I stopped having a relationship with him and my mother a year ago. I have no idea if he even knows hes possibly not my father, or not my youngest brothers father.

1 hour ago, jubal said:

Those ponies are pretty tiny. They'd probably fit in your back seat.

Those crazy ponies would kick out my windows lol!

QB,  an option would be offer at having the tires replaced for being able to borrow the truck.  You already know the dates for when you would need to haul.  As for the trailer the minis are small enough they should all be able to straight load in a two horse with the divider out.   I've seen mini trailers for sale on Craig's.  People took an enclosed trailer & converted it into a horse trailer.  You could always get a camper trailer that is also a toy hauler.  That would work really slick.

Used minivan?  I watched someone unload minis at the local university hospital.  Strip down the inside, add a wood frame inside, rubber mats, and go.  They had a neat wooden ramp as well.  

15 hours ago, QueenBAW said:

The truck he is currently using to pull the trailer has got 3 wheels in the grave. 

6 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

QB,  an option would be offer at having the tires replaced for being able to borrow the truck.  

Eh, I took this to mean the truck itself isn't reliable, not the tires.  Like the saying about a person who "has one foot in the grave".

I'm sorry to hear about the family inconsistencies.  I hope the test will tell you what you need to know.

I am fairly impervious to caffeine.  But I drank 2 big cups of homemade iced mocha last night and could not go to sleep until 1:30 am.  So I made an even bigger homemade iced mocha this morning and literally holding my eyelids open.  You know that scene in Mr Bean when he goes to church?  That is me today at work.  

QH hope you can stay awake.  I don't drink the iced coffees as they usually give me a horrible headache & get the tummy rolling.  Just give me a dark coffee with a little cream

Peppermint Sheppermit there is no help for someone doing the job of 2 1/2 persons.  The busier I get the more muddled the brain gets.

Boy was Shortman excited when I picked him up in the topless car.  He mentioned a numerous times how much he love it.  Just something more for added smiles.  Then to top it off Hubby found a "His" to my "Hers" topless but with turbo charge.  Told him if we can pull it off by all mean get it. 

2 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Boy was Shortman excited when I picked him up in the topless car.  He mentioned a numerous times how much he love it.  Just something more for added smiles.  Then to top it off Hubby found a "His" to my "Hers" topless but with turbo charge.  Told him if we can pull it off by all mean get it. 

I absolutely *LOVE* this!!!!!!!!  In a couple years you can add a "Son's" to the topless vehicle family.

4 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Peppermint Sheppermit there is no help for someone doing the job of 2 1/2 persons.  The busier I get the more muddled the brain gets.

You mean my brain fog is all due to being overworked? Good! I'll stop with the peppermint and take a break. I'd go on a vacation but I don't think they'd let my horse on the plane.

On 6/24/2018 at 5:17 PM, RailroadWoman said:

QB,  an option would be offer at having the tires replaced for being able to borrow the truck.  You already know the dates for when you would need to haul.  As for the trailer the minis are small enough they should all be able to straight load in a two horse with the divider out.   I've seen mini trailers for sale on Craig's.  People took an enclosed trailer & converted it into a horse trailer.  You could always get a camper trailer that is also a toy hauler.  That would work really slick.

I can borrow Pappys trailer anytime I want. Its a gooseneck so whatever truck I get/use would have to be set up for that. I just think it would be easier to get a used bumper pull. Id want a regular 2h bumper pull so we could haul the regular sized horses too if we decide to go somewhere for a trail ride or something. 

On 6/24/2018 at 5:36 PM, little cow said:

Used minivan?  I watched someone unload minis at the local university hospital.  Strip down the inside, add a wood frame inside, rubber mats, and go.  They had a neat wooden ramp as well.  

The thought makes me cringe. I couldn't imagine explaining any type of accident to an insurance company...or being in an accident period.

At one point we had two Willy Jeeps.  Ended up getting rid of them as we didn't have the time to invest at getting them reliable.  To this day I kick myself for not keeping one as it would have been a really fun ride.

Today sure was a long day.  Had a meeting this morning then is just seemed to playing catch up after.

Mandatory drug free workplace meeting today and they are catering chick fil a.  

I had a dream that I exorcised my friends house.

We are thinking of buying a 20 year old 4 wheel drive ford Ranger just to have for a farm beater truck.  It is extended cab but tiny, and has a camper shell.  The only thing it needs is a clutch but not right this second and the AC charged.  I hate taking my big black dodge down there and if muddy feet are in there on the carpet I cringe.  I have not driven a gas vehicle manual transmission in about 15 years. Is it like riding a bike?

^^^You'll only grind the gears a few times. Rangers are quite popular here in farm country. But they're restoring them.

My husband stalled it in reverse.  I thought it was funny.  He is so used to his diesel manual that you can put it in reverse and let off the clutch and it crawls and does not stall.  Not this ford ranger.  

GH, Have fun playing with that ford ranger,  everything will fall in place in a few days & it will seem like you've had it for years.                   Best Wishes.  PD