Oh you'll do find driving the ranger just drive with stopping & going. Thats what I did to learn but I was always better at shift up to go not down shift to slow.  Guess it is the lead foot especially if the engine is turbo charged.  

On 6/26/2018 at 2:20 PM, jubal said:

Raise the sides of that second one and haul the ponies in it!

Thats exactly what my landlord is threatening LOL! The only problem is that the truck only goes like 20mph lol

Well, I did my good deed for the day. At 5am I went out with Bennie to pee. I heard a very loud meowing. Sounded like a kitten in my yard, but neither I nor the neighbor has cats. I put Bennie back inside and got my boots on and a flashlight. Followed the meowing to a big cedar tree between me and my neighbor where I found the littlest fluffy grey kitten crying its eyes out, alone. No other kittens, no momma, nothing. It started purring as soon as I touched it. Brought it inside where the dogs were too interested, Bennie was bouncing off the walls. I put the little fluff in my car where it would be safe and went back to sleep for a while. Got back up before it got warm outside and kitty was fast asleep in the car. Went to the store and got kitty some wet food and some Pedialyte, which it ate and drank right away. Its little eyes were goopy and by that time I was already halfway to the vets office. Had the little stinkers eyes cleaned and given an antibiotic, capstar for fleas, and a distemper shot. A kind lady there with her dog split the cost with me. It was the least I could do for the little thing. It really seemed to like me, but I couldn't keep it. The plan was to drive it over to the pound, animal control had already been notified by the vet that I was coming. Luckily animal control had a van coming from a larger county shelter to pick up a load of animals to take to their shelter for adoption. They have a much better adoption rate. The timing was pretty good. Just as I was getting ready to leave, a new vet tech came out from the back and nonchalantly said she had a friend looking for a little kitty.  "Call her now" the receptionist and I said together lol. She called her friend and everything worked out. I handed over a purring kitty with the food and Pedialyte I had bought, the antibiotic for its eyes, and the vet receipt so her friend could have record of what kitty got done today.  

Good job, Queen! I was really worried when fluffy kitty was going to Animal Control. I'm so glad it got a home. Some jerk must have dropped it off at your house.

1 hour ago, jubal said:

Good job, Queen! I was really worried when fluffy kitty was going to Animal Control. I'm so glad it got a home. Some jerk must have dropped it off at your house.

It wouldve worked out if it went to Animal Control too.  Animal Control was going to send it to a bigger county shelter that has awesome adoption success. I think kitty wouldve definitely had a leg up on other kitties since I had her vetted too. Just happened to work out even better. The vet too thinks that someone put that kitty under that tree. Ugh. I told my landlord if I caught some a-hole dropping animals off at my place I was gonna shoot them. He agreed with me. He did laugh at me having found a dang kitty though. He still teases me about Bennie...but he loves her too. 

Edited by QueenBAW

That is a great story about the kitty.  Sounds like it climbed the lucky cedar tree.  We cannot have cats as my dogs think they are prey too.  Our puppy saw a cat for the first time and she locked eyes on it.  Both her parents would kill a cat, so I know to not give her a chance.  Thankfully she was on lead so she could not get to it, but she sure wanted to.   Which does not bode well for me wanting to get a bearded dragon either.  

We lost one of our barns cats that we moved to the new barn.  Our poor kitty, Bart, was hit by a car.  This is on a dirt road.  I didn't think people drove that fast on a dirt road with pot holes, but someone managed to hit him.  Our neighbor found him and buried him yesterday. 

We moved the kitties to the new farm, thinking we would be moved in by now.  They were supposed to be in their crates for a week and then we would be there with them.  Well, the week turned into ten days and they were not happy, so we let them out slowly, for a little time each day, until they seemed comfortable and didn't want to go back in willingly.  Then, we left the crates in place with the gates open and kept feeding them there.  We had two gates and a good fence between him and the road, but there was a hole under the perimeter fence that we did not see.  The heavy rain eroded it away and tall grass made it hard to see, so Bart got out on the road.  In addition, the sub contractors keep leaving the dang gate open.  We did not tell our son, yet.  We will wait until we settle in and he asks about Bart. 

Our other barn kitty, Bagheera, the one with cancer, is roaming in our woods.  She is very wily, so I hope she stays out of trouble. 

Our plan to add a house cat to the barn is not going to happen.  We had hoped to have only two cats in the new house, but we can't bear another loss.  We will have three indoor kitties and Bagheera, our most experienced barn cat, outside.  My first thought, after hearing about Bart, was to lock up Bagheera somehow, but she is miserable locked up and hates being inside the house.  I hope I will know when she hurts so I can have her put down instead of her going off in the woods to die alone.  She seems happy and comfortable now, even when you touch her osteosarcoma lump. 

When she passes,away from cancer in a few months, I don't know if we will replace her.  Maybe we go without a barn cat.  Maybe another cat will show up to fill the niche.  It's just too dang heartbreaking to lose these guys.  

Edited by little cow

LC sorry about your cat.  It is very sad to see them go & we miss them dearly.  I had lost 4 barn cats in less than a year.  From something eating them to a neighbor trapping & humane society not giving them back.  Makes it really hard to decide about getting new barn cats.

A Freddy Free Loader will probably show up one day at your farm.

How are you all surviving the heat today.  We had over 100 heat index & it has not been fun with air conditioning not working properly.  I would so love to be at home right now & not working.

I planned to mow the pastures today. By the time I was ready to start, it was so hot and humid, I couldn't make myself do it. And tomorrow will be just as bad. Heat index of 105. That's a measurement I'd just as soon not know about.

You were right, RRW, about the wildflower seed. It came up and I have blanket flower, poppy and something with a bloom that looks like red clover but it's powder blue. It's just a tiny plot, about two by two feet but I'm really surprised. That seed was so old.

I started mowing this morning very early. Finished at 11:30 and it was 93 already. I don't mind the heat but try to pace myself so I don't get over heated. I need to mow the pasture but the steering broke on my tractor. The John Deere dealer quoted a price of $1200. I found the part on line for $500. My neighbor is a mechanic that will fix it for $$$$$__I don't know how much this will end up costing.

I never nap but today I slept for over an hour. I was trying to read and gave in to sleep!!

This afternoon I sat outside in the shade just to close my eyes a little.  The north wind was like putting your face up to the hair dryer. Had almost fallen asleep but then a customer came to chat.

Got one problem fixed with the air.  Apparently it was leaking freon & once it was fixed we got cold air.  However, then discovered problems with the dampers & vent grates.  Whomever put the grates on put most of them upside down so the ceiling is getting all the air.

Jubal, thats great your wild flower bed is growing.  I've got a couple containers of broadcast seed that bought years ago with good intention of making beds on the tree line. 

17 hours ago, little cow said:

It's just too dang heartbreaking to lose these guys.  

Oh, LC, I'm so sorry you lost Bart.  It is awful to lose them and it is why I have so many indoor cats.  Well, mostly because my indoor cats are too crippled physically or mentally to be outside.  As it is, now I'm worrying about my 3 outdoor kitties, since I think I'm the one who injured BB from her possibly jumping down from my gastank while I was driving out the driveway.

Thanks, guys.  LJ asked about Bart right away, so we're breaking it to him slowly (neighbor saw a cat on the road, cat was hit, etc...).  I do want to show our neighbor Bart's picture to confirm it was him.  But I know it's true.  He hasn't been to the barn in days.  

We are off to get some painting done on the new chicken coop this morning.  Can't be gone long because a ewe refused feed this morning and was pawing the ground.  She must be getting ready to lamb.  

LC,   Just noticed where you lost Bart,  sorry for your loss,  any critter that touches your heart is big loss. Best Wishes. PD

Hay question????

Do any of you hire someone to cut & bale your property?  The supplier I bought from last year think this years crop is golden(aka greedy) he wants to charge $50 for 4x4 rounds.  Couldn't help myself & laughed at him on the phone.  He kept going on about how much he makes with small squares.  Well duh squares are always pricey because they have to be handled more & with the equipment round are easier to move.

So I was of the notion that we have a good 20-30 acres of grassy pasture but don't have the equipment.  We would just need maybe 24 bales tops & could possibly get credit by letting the person cutting take the rest.

Need some input on your thoughts please. 

RRW, if I had that much land with good grass, I'd definitely find someone to bale it on shares. Lots of people do that here. My neighbor lets a friend bale and take his just to get it cut.

I think finding someone to cut/bale and taking enough for yourselves would be fantastic!

Wanted to share a pic of BB from last night.  I'm letting her out of the bedroom in the evenings to explore the rest of the house and let the other kitties spend time in there - sort of mixing them together and letting them get used to seeing each other all over the house.  I watched BB "run" from the kitchen, across the living room to the bedroom and she sort of hops-and-skips with her back legs.  She can move pretty quickly and I was impressed!

aat.jpg

Twin lambs born early this morning.  We were all up most of the night.  These were the first lambs from LJ's first ewe.  She was a bit needy and came to us for reassurance during the lambing.  We stayed with her most of the night.  She is so sweet about letting us touch her babies.  LJ did great as a shepherd.  He was so worried about his ewe and the lambs and so relieved when everything went well.  

sOtDB5C.jpg

Yay, BB! I hope she will be happy looking from the inside out.

There's nothing cuter than new lambs! Well, maybe new goats.

RRW,

I would think there would be alot of people with equipment interested in your 20-30 acres, of hay ground.  Years many folks used to do those things on shares, now many like to rent the land for the season,  as there might be still time to get 2 crops of hay off it, & no doubt the second cutting would be softer for your ponies to eat.  PD

PD in our area we have people asking & then tell them yes only to have them not come out to cut.

So today my housekeeper was to come in.  Oh great I get to go shopping by myself for the day & not have to do much work.  Guess what??  Had to call hubby as a store is going out of sale & they have fixtures that might work for the company for sale.  At that time I was informed she was a no show.  So being a good duck today I let it all roll off my back.  This is a good thing as it also rained most of the day.

Did find a few things at the store closing sale, got a really nice new hair cut & filled the cart at Walmart.  Even though it was a crazy zoo at the stores I didn't care & enjoyed the time.  Oh & my OCD came out.  Had to buy unders & just about killed me because they didn't have any all white packages in stock.  Its is going to drive me crazy, there is something wrong about colored unders.  Its this type of little things we each have in some form or fashion that make us a crazy person.