The four day old lambs are jumping and playing today.  They don't actually walk from one place to another.  It seems like they aren't capable of simply walking.  It's like:  step, step, leap, step, run, leap, step, back legs kick out, step, leap...  This is our first time with lambs, so we are really enjoying them.  

Remember Jacob the orphan kitten?  He gets neutered tomorrow.  And, he fetches.  He plays with a crumpled up piece of paper and when he gets bored, he brings it back to me and drops it in my hand.  Smart little fellow.  

Edited by little cow

LC,  Glad the new lambs are doing well,  I hope they continue to do well, & grow into good market animals.  Best Wishes.  PD

PD-  Thanks for the good wishes.  I think LJ has decided to keep two ewes, sell one, and have the ram lamb evaluated at three months for market or breeding.  Rebecca and Elizabeth are the keepers and Lydia will be offered for sale, hopefully with Isaac, as a starter flock for someone.  I think there is a market around here for friendly, hardy, hair sheep.

qhridinGA-  That color is awesome!  The Rangers always had the best truck colors. 

Queen-  That foal has a medicine hat, lol!  How are halter minis judged?  Do they have height categories and types?  Do pintos tend to do better?

Heidi-  Jacob is long and lanky.  He's also quite needy right now because I can't feed him before surgery.  I think he's about five times as obnoxious as our other two hungry cats.  After all, we've been feeding him since before he could see.  We are beginning a strict diet on our fattest cat, Rocky.  He's the 5 year old, long haired, grey tabby that cleans the bowls after the other two nibblers.  We'll try to feed the old lady kitty and the kitten separately and pick up bowls after meal times.  I hope it works.  Rocky is so fat that he grunts and snores in his sleep.  

Edited by little cow

Poor Rocky! He needs an exercise program.

Here is my tiny wildflower plot. It was so hot, there was condensation on the lens! Anyone know what that bluish lavender one is?

wildflowers 2018.JPG

I bought some ranch photographs from Andi Harmon.

This is Rueben, a 17.2h roan ridden/owned by Glen Shelley of the Rattlesnake Creek Ranch in Bend, OR.

Image may contain: indoor

Band of mares, foals and herd stallion owned by Roaring Springs Ranch, Catlow, OR watering at HL Ranch reservoir.

No automatic alt text available.

Hawk and his Girls.  Hawk is an 8yr old steer who runs with Glen Shelley's personal cows on the Rattlesnake Creek Ranch, acting as herd leader.  He also babysits the calves during branding when they are separated from their mothers.  When the cattle are brought in or moved, he is always seen leading his girls and is typically surrounded by calves.

Image may contain: indoor

Those are cool!  I remember Andi.  Does she photograph at a number of ranches, or just one or two?

Edited by little cow

It seems she photographs at a number of ranches, rodeos and even does family, graduation and even wedding photography, too.  

Love the photographs, Heidi. Andi does wonderful work.

Jubal, your wild flowers are pretty. Hopefully they will reseed and grow back next year. I planted some old zinna and sunflower seeds. Most of them came up, to my surprise!!

We have a ditch next to the road and about 20' in front of the horse's pasture fence.  It is slowly eroding away.  I think I want to try and seed it with wildflowers to help hold the soil in place and be pretty with flowers.

Heidi, there is a horse farm near here that planted day lilies, which spread rapidly, along their front fence line that runs next to a ditch for a few hundred feet. They are in bloom now and it is spectacular. Interestingly, my grandmother used to call them ditch lilies.The foliage is present through a good part of the year and the bulbs are good at holding soil in place. Also, the foliage is dense and deter weeds.

Vinca makes a good ground cover  too. Low growing, thick and fast spreading, chokes out most weeds, Nice purple flowers too.

8 hours ago, jubal said:

Heidi, there is a horse farm near here that planted day lilies, which spread rapidly, along their front fence line that runs next to a ditch for a few hundred feet. They are in bloom now and it is spectacular. Interestingly, my grandmother used to call them ditch lilies.

6 hours ago, noponies said:

Vinca makes a good ground cover  too. Low growing, thick and fast spreading, chokes out most weeds, Nice purple flowers too.

FANTASTIC ideas!  I think either/both of these varieties would work better than wildflowers.

Hay was expensive today.
It was a $600 day - $320 for hay and $280 for a new tire.
Totally my fault.  I was turning the rig around in the grassy area and had pulled up next to a pallet-wrapping-metal-thing, saw I needed to turn my wheel for the direction I wanted the trailer to go, and rolled right onto a sharp corner of the thing, slashing my tire.
No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: outdoor

Nice truck!  Stinks about the flat tire.  So clean and shiny!  A horse/farm truck is a lovely sight to behold.  They come in all shapes and sizes from pristine to beat up to the point where it's impossible to tell the original color.

Our farm truck has some wounds obtained in the line of duty and the only regular cleaning it receives are lick marks from the cattle (they greet the truck bearing their round bale enthusiastically).  Add a few back up mishaps, a scrape from a front end loader on the back of the cab, and a scuff from a gate.  The layer of protective dirt and caked on mud along the bottom provide camouflage (with little clean cow lick marks).  

Our other, smaller truck is the cleaner one.  it also gets better gas mileage.  We refer to it as the 'family car', lol!

White vehicles don't show the dust so bad, helps save on having to wash it all the time.  In the winter the first layer of salt & crud it just protective from what will be added on.

Max is a nice truck.  He's a basic work truck but he's exactly what I wanted/needed.  I don't need fancy bells/whistles, those are just more things to break and expensive to fis.  It took me a while to feel comfortable driving him - he's so BIG.  Now I love him, people get out of my way and that's a nice change from when I drove the 'vette.

Oh I could easily drive your truck.  I've made it a point in my truck & car to only use the mirrors for backing.  Been times I've driven reverse down our driveway.  Practice practice.

Nice white ford truck,  sorry about the flat tire, but it has happened to all that to love their trucks. Paying for new tire is the pitts, but tires are replaceable, & you are not, got to look at the positive side of things.  Best Wishes. PD

13 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Oh I could easily drive your truck.  I've made it a point in my truck & car to only use the mirrors for backing.  Been times I've driven reverse down our driveway.  Practice practice.

I can't do it. My brain just won't compute. Same with backing a trailer. I can do it if I'm turned around looking behind me but not with the mirrors.

Jacob's neutering went fine but he was slow to come around afterwards.  He was a drunk kitten all Friday night, but perked up gradually Saturday.  Back to normal today.  They used ketamine and telazol.  Maybe not so much, if he ever needs anesthesia again. We got him microchipped.  The other two kitties and the dog get vaccines on Monday. 

Edited by little cow

Jubal, I have no problem pilling a trailer.  Backing up not so much as I start over thinking what direction then over stear.  I can back into the trailer just fine.

My little ponies don't go anywhere.  Told hubby I want to find out the ordinance in town as we have space to put them being the motel. Heck 1/2 block from us they have horses but its a different township.

RRW,  If you can put your ponies at the Motel I would think it could be a real draw for young kids,  as some don't get a chance to get very close to animals & pet them.  PD 

Horses at a motel?  That would be so cool!  I could only imagine the whining I would have done as a kid to stay at the motel with real, live, HORSES!

I just want them in my back yard again.  I sure do miss the little buggers & now I know I'd never board a horse.   All ready thought about selling them seeing as I have no time for them but again I's miss having them.  Hubby is the food/water provider 2x day.  He says he just doesnt feel the love from them.  I keep telling him its because he isn't mom.  With children & critters it all about mom.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.  We got Windy entered in her first show.  I took vacation time from work to go watch her.  And my room in Greenville is booked.  

Oh that tire.  That stinks.  

On 7/8/2018 at 11:25 AM, Proud Dad said:

Nice white ford truck,  sorry about the flat tire, but it has happened to all that to love their trucks. Paying for new tire is the pitts, but tires are replaceable, & you are not, got to look at the positive side of things.  Best Wishes. PD

Yeah, it was a tough lesson to learn.  I should have remembered what was close to the tires when I started maneuvering.  At least it happened at home (didn't need to be towed or roadside repaired) and during a time when we didn't have places we needed to be.  On the plus side, we moved that piece of equipment into the treeline so it is completely out of the way.  Now.
You misspelled Chevy.  LOL   We owned a Ford almost 20yrs ago but I found the seats highly uncomfortable and hated driving or riding in it.

Heidi,   Sorry for misspelling of Chevy, & even more disappointed I didn't notice it on my own. I wasn't paying attention again.   I'm a chevy lover from the get go.   At least I noticed it was white in color.  Reminds me I have round bales to get home..  PD

I like my Ford trucks.  ;)

Libby's leg has healed nicely after her battle with the bathtub.  I turned her out in the pasture with the others.  I'll bring them in at night, but they needed the time out.  Last few weeks on the old farm, with any luck. 

The lambs are incredibly cute when they play.  We let them in the yard with their ewes yesterday and it went very well.  Our Maddie dog is fascinated with them in a sweet way.  But the ewes may not appreciate her attentions, so we keep her at a safe distance.  

Summer is waning already!  Only a month left before LJ goes back to school.