qhridinGA- What kind of show?  Do you hire the same handler for all your show dogs, or do the handlers specialize in specific breeds?  Is it expensive to hire a handler?   

Edited by little cow

8 hours ago, little cow said:

qhridinGA- What kind of show?  Do you hire the same handler for all your show dogs, or do the handlers specialize in specific breeds?  Is it expensive to hire a handler?   

In a conformation dog show.  My daughter grooms and handles them and always have, so I do not have to pay a handler.  She is very good at it and now works as an assistant for handlers.  The mother of this puppy was the top winning ***** in 2017 and owner handled by my daughter.  Our puppy has reached a case of the uglies.  But I entered her anyway.  She has alot of terrier attitude and it will go a long way even with her half grown butt high age. 

There are handlers who do specific breeds.  Most of your hair breeds have dedicated handlers.  Like Collies, Shelties, Afghans, Poodles.  The smaller hair breeds do not take as long.  Some specialize in a group.  Terrier handlers, Sporting dog Handlers.  Then you have all breed handlers.  I find those have less talent because they do not remember the tiny details in all their breeds, or they do not care. But many can do an excellent job in various breeds.  Our friend handles terriers and German wire haired pointers, and affinpinschers and all are impeccably groomed and handled.  I have another friend who does amazing with Rottweilers, Newfies, Viszlas, Shorthairs and Weims.  But she is dying to learn the art of stripping a terrier from us.

If you wanted to hire a handler, ringside pickup will run you 75-100 dollars a day depending on the handlers price and how "famous" they are.  Which is good money if they just grab the dog that you groomed, and spend a few minutes with it, then go in the ring for their 5 minutes with a judge, then come out and hand you the dog back.   If you want the handler to groom it, that is around an additional 50 dollars minimum depending on breed.  A standard poodle is 150 a day for grooming on a show weekend.  It takes about 3 hours to prep a poodle for the ring.  I love watching them do it.  The poodles love it.  They lay there in whatever position and they have their heads resting on pillows and doze.  They are such good dogs.  If the dog travels and lives with the handler you will pay for room board, veterinary fees, entry fees, grooming etc.  Some backers even give handlers a house no joke.  If you have enough talent, it is lucrative.  

As with any profession you get paid what you are truly worth.  

I am sure your pup will do good in the ring even being at a funk growth stage.  If anything it is just more experience for her to be exposed.

Today is a plow anyone down who gets in my way. MIL came down to help & I was horribly behind with turnover, at one point I told her to get moving.  She was holding up the forward motion.  Then top it off our new tables & chairs for the rooms came in.  The boys were putting them together then I had to crack them with the whip as there was little time to get the old stuff out & new in before guests started showing up.  Its a girl who just wants to scream day.

Agree with Heidi that the summer is almost over.  Next week is already mid July, Ive managed to find 3 1/3 days at the end of August for us to go on a in-state family summer trip.  Just know Shortman would be horrible disappointed if we don't go & I look at it as a person has to do something to justify the summer.  This Sunday the shop will be closed & we are going for a boat/lunch ride on the St Croix river.  We try to go 1-2x a summer as it is a nice relaxing event.

Back to work I go. Yay!!!!

Wow, that's really interesting.  I am not interested in showing dogs, but I like hearing about how it works behind the scenes.  Three hours for a standard poodle?  Whoa.  

When I was a kid my folks bred and showed rough coated Collies.  I remember their bathing and grooming days were intense!

Never groomed a dog, but have help groom calves & heifers when girls were showing in 4H. But I have watched dog shows on TV, I can only imagine that goes into the preparation for a big show.  PD

RW, I want to ride one of your trains. 

The grooming for the poodles is fun to watch.  Another breed I love to watch be groomed is a Bichon.  They have to be bathed every day of the show.  A bichon is a small dog that is about 80% hair.  So they come back from bathing and they are tiny wet rat looking things.  Then the handlers dry them completely half at a time.  Meaning they dry all of that spot then move to the next.  Not all over the dog at once.  So they start at the rear and dry and fluff the legs and move to the front.  So you end up seeing a dog that is half dry and fluffy on the rear and soaked to the skin until they get to the head last.  Such a happy breed too.

With our Parson we have less grooming.   We have to strip her coat every week to keep it tight and rolled.  The correct coat is waterproof, dense, tight with a coarse texture for a broken coat.  Our puppy has a fantastic jacket with the correct texture.  Bathing does make her coat feel softer than it is.  We use our own mixture of a texturizing shampoo, a whitener and a cleanser.  After a bath she is so white that she hurts your eyes to look at her in the sun.  We only bathe her once a weekend unless she gets really dingy which normally they do not.  Every morning we wash legs, belly and beard.  We use 2 wash buckets, one soapy water, one clean water and a sponge.  Then we use a regular hair dryer on her.  She loves that actually.  Just closes her eyes and enjoys the warmth.  When we wash her whole body we use the force air dryer but not full speed as it will blow her off the table.  It is fully adjustable and can blow water out of a newfoundlands coat.   After the legs are washed and dried we use baby powder on her feet, legs and beard to make them really white.  Then we use a product called thick and thicker mousse made by Chris Christenson for dogs and we put that in her legs and beard.  Then back to the hair dryer to dry the mousse and fluff the legs with a small slicker brush.  We comb the leg hair up and out to "post" her legs and make them fluffy.  Same with her beard. Then once that is done we add regular hair spray and if her jacket feels soft from bathing we will spray a bit of hair spray on that to give that texture back.  Then add show lead, give a bite of bait for being good and off we go to the ring.  

And if you have a parson with no furnishings, wipe it with a damp cloth, add a bit of powder and done.  Haha.

I'm tired just reading about your grooming.  Can tell you love what you do with showing.

Oh you are welcome to come up.  We have B&B or dinner/motel packages.  There have been some really nice guests & they have been enjoying themselves.

I do not actually know where you are located.

Oh and the movie "Best In Show" is very accurate to dog shows.  We all love that movie and we know people like every actor in that movie.

GH,   Years ago I worked with a nurse, that gave obedient training to dogs, on part time basis. now she does it all on full time basis.  I know she has been at bigger shows.  As she has gotten local coverage at times. She is out of Eau Claire WI. when ever I worked around her, she was on top of her game as a nurse, got to believe she is the same way with her dog training.  I'd put her name on here, but that might be against the rules.   PD

19 hours ago, qhridinGA said:

I do not actually know where you are located.

Oh and the movie "Best In Show" is very accurate to dog shows.  We all love that movie and we know people like every actor in that movie.

Oh, that is cool.  I love that movie. 

Do most of the dogs seem to just tolerate all the grooming and fussing, or do they enjoy it?  When they are finished, how do you bring them back down?  Do they get rinsed off and turned loose to roll or goof off somewhere?  

When a did a little horse showing, the turnout at home at the end of the day was their favorite part.  Bucking, playing and rolling was their reward for putting up with all the excess grooming.  

When we took ten cows to our local fair, we kept them groomed and primped for several weeks before the fair, and all ten days of the fair.  They had to be tied all day long and tied out in another spot all night.  I got away with turning a few of the heifers out to play in the arena when I got to fair early enough one morning (that was adorable) but otherwise, they were locked down tight.  When we got them home, we pulled the big trailer into the pasture and led them out to turn them loose one by one.  They had so much fun running around the pasture and playing.  By the next morning, they had duller coats and looked quite content.  

Edited by little cow

7 hours ago, little cow said:

Do most of the dogs seem to just tolerate all the grooming and fussing, or do they enjoy it?  When they are finished, how do you bring them back down?  Do they get rinsed off and turned loose to roll or goof off somewhere?  

Some just tolerate it and some love it.  My ***** seemed to love it.  She would stand there with her eyes half closed and practically hand my daughter her feet.  Her daughter that we now have seems to be the same.  Even when we are pulling their coat.  

For us, they are pets first.  So they go home and run the farm doing dog things.  They hunt, dig, kill vermin. We will wash the powder and mousse out of them after the weekend.  We also have let them go and course during the show weekend, then go clean them up.  They are crated at the show grounds, but my dogs go back to the rooms with us to play.  Potty walks every 2-3 hours, toys and chewies in the crate.  I do not put greasy chewies in the crates with white ones though.  Then we get them out and play with them. They also get to come out for walks and play time at night.  Or they go back to the room and play.  Even though they are crated and dozing most of the days at shows, they are still tired at night in the hotel and they love snuggling in bed with us.  

With all the PETA threats at shows recently, I stay very close to the set up until our ring time.  They have recently let dogs out of crates and they got hit and killed.  I keep an eye on the set ups around us.  I have blocked owners from visiting their own dogs if the handlers do not tell me that the owners are coming.  I am polite about it though and they were not upset.   I just tell them that I am sorry, they cannot come into the set up until the handler is back as I do not know them and the safety of the dogs is most important.

That is really sad about the activist letting the dogs out.  It is really hard but I am going to keep my trap shut about those activists.

Another long hard day.  Just came in from brushing another dog out of Odie.  Got to ride the top down to get Shortman from day camp & the drive was way to short.  could have easily spent more time, heck, just 30min drive to lift the spirits.

Went had a nice dinner as a family.  We drove topless as it was just a nice night & I decided to take the back way home.  What a nice drive.

Tomorrow we are planning to ride the lunch boat on the St Croix.  I'll be sure to take the phone so can easily share pics of the afternoon with you all.  Have a good night.

More delays at the new farm.  We are working on a ditch because the numbskulls doing the drainfield made a place where the rain pools and use it as an excuse not to finish.  House is done.  Chicken coop is done and painted.  Rabbit shed will be done in a few days.  Only one hitch.  The stall we intended to use for the sheep and lambs may not be secure enough.  A bobcat has been seen several times in the area.  We are building a secure sheep shed to lock up the sheep at night.  Should be done in a week, but we don't know when we'll actually be able to move.  Hopefully, before school starts again.  I guess it's good we don't gave any offers on our old farm, yet.  I think the new puppy will come home to the old farm in two weeks.

LC good luck getting your ditch done. Nothing worse than standing water.  Have you been taking ng boxes to the new house every time you go?

We ran away for the afternoon.  Currently waiting for the boat to leave dock.  Had a really nice drive getting here with the top down.

Your are all going on a ride.

The river is very high with the recent rains.  The city put snow fence up & you might see the flag poll base under water.  Second is the rest of the fleet of boats at dock

IMG_20180715_133639.jpg

IMG_20180715_133832.jpg