5 hours ago, little cow said:

I think you have a very generous heart and it's a  neat idea.

For the moment, though, if she has suicidal posts, contact a professional immediately.  They can find her parents.  If you know what high school she attends, you could start by reporting it there.  Someone needs to intervene and sit this girl down now.  

I am dismayed at what is trendy at high schools right now.  It appears that telling other kids to "go kill yourself", whether in person or online, is common.  A kid like this might not bounce back from the general sarcastic comments from other kids.  

The sad part is that her "mom" is friends with her on Facebook and sees everything she posts. Sometimes she comments, most of the time she doesnt. I dont think she would kill herself but her post last week really got me. Maybe Ill send her mom a short message.

I sent her mom this message:

"Hey Tracy. I hope you're doing well. I know we havent talked in a long time but I wanted to talk to you about Haley. Some of her posts on Facebook are concerning and worry me. It seems as though she suffers from low self esteem among many other things. Ive been thinking about her a lot lately and I cant help but wonder if horseback riding would help her. It may be a good stress reliever or just make her feel good about herself. Im willing to offer that opportunity to her if you all are interested. I have 3 horses, 2 of which are kid safe. I also have some miniature horses that are being shown in halter classes if she would be interested in doing that. Let me know what you think or if you all are interested. Shes more than welcome to come see if she likes it. We have a show coming up next month as well if she would like to come watch or hang out."

Ive known her "mom" for years. Shes not her biological mom, and how in the world she was allowed to adopt Haley is completely beyond me. She tried to sucker me into paying her mortgage once upon a time, while her husband (who is beyond creepy) sat at home and played video games all day. We had a little falling out after that. She went on to use other people I know financially and I just cut all remaining ties. Her husband has since gone to jail and she lost her house.  If I give Haley the opportunity to ride I will have to make things very cut and dry for her mom. I do feel that this could be beneficial for Haley though. I'll keep you all updated.

It's a GO! If the weather behaves Saturday Im going to go pick her up and bring her to the farm and see how she likes it. Fingers crossed, this might be a good escape for this young lady.

You are doing such a wonderful thing for this young woman.  I think it would be very good for her to have a kind and responsible adult to model herself after.  I hope she really enjoys her time with you at the farm.

Awesome!  Sounds like many adults in her life have let her down.  Good for you for trying to give her something she has not had enough of in her life.  

Meet Burt, our new flame-point cat.
He showed up at a friend's feral colony on the day Burt Reynolds passed away.  He was skinny and panting from the heat.  She thinks he was dumped because he didn't know how to take care of himself on his own and was people-friendly.  I offered to give him a barn home.

I let him out of the double-crates the other night and he did well.  I walked around with him, helping him explore the house and outbuildings.  He would come when called and a couple hours later he came up for the 10pm canned meal.  He was also hanging out in the garage at 2am when I did my evening checks.  In the morning, I find him lounging on a porch chair, waiting for someone to come outside and pet him. 

Sitting in the crate with him:

Image may contain: cat

Exploring and putting his mark on a tree:

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

More exploring:

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

Sitting near Pete (under the truck) without fuzzing-up or hissing:

Image may contain: outdoor

LC, how is it going with your new pup?

So today we went to the farmers market next door.  There is usually a gal who bakes the best carrot cake & other treats, however, she was not set up today.  We didn't come home empty handed.  Shortman bought a pet snake.

Just a quickie:

I think she had a good time. The girls welcomed her with open arms. We deburred the minis manes and tails and did some chores around the farm...and then they went for a ride. On the way back to her house I discovered that she likes the theater. I often go to plays by Wolfbane Productions in Appomattox. Im at "Sweeney Todd" while I type this. I think I may bring her to some of these fantastic productions they do. It'll be good to get her out of the house..and away from her boyfriend.

20180922_143453.jpg

20180922_190215.jpg

Edited by QueenBAW

RRW, that is cool looking!

Queen, what a great day for her!  The theater sounds like fun.  What's the deal with the boyfriend?  Bad influence?

I signed up to try playing my violin with our church's choir.  I have never done this before.  I don't know how it's going to go.  I'm just going to try to practice with them to see if it will work.  I have about a week and half to practice before I go.

Hello Ladies,  Haven't been here much lately, I've been doing alot of shopping on line lately.  I've been doing companionship shopping online.  I get lonely for someone to talk to at times.  Thought I should start looking for someone that can tell tall tales,  & let them think I believe them.   That is what has been distracting me lately.  Hope to catch up with everything in the future.  Best Wishes.  PD

PD, you'll find someone to spend time with.  Have fun with your journey.

LC, the vendor we got the snake from at the farmers market had all sorts of different pumpkins & gourds.  It was really hard to just walk away with one, thank heaven we don't have the wagon at the motel or Shortman would have brought that along to bring them back.

QB, you sure do have a big heart.  Hope you are able to become a good influence for this girl.  As for the pie, did you question the contents?

It is so beautiful outside today.  We are at that time of year where Old Man Winter can appear any moment.  In fact yesterday morning we had frost.

2 hours ago, little cow said:

RRW, that is cool looking!

Queen, what a great day for her!  The theater sounds like fun.  What's the deal with the boyfriend?  Bad influence?

I signed up to try playing my violin with our church's choir.  I have never done this before.  I don't know how it's going to go.  I'm just going to try to practice with them to see if it will work.  I have about a week and half to practice before I go.

Honestly I dont know the boyfriend. But, when I came to pick her up he was there on the couch with her all lovey dovey kissy face...her mom allows it apparently. This girl looks to boys for validation. Id rather her not end up pregnant before graduating high school. Hopefully if I keep her busy with the horses she wont have time for boys lol.

The theater group is outstanding. I can't even explain how good. I got chills a few times last night, theyre that good. Every production Ive been to of theirs has been phenomenal. Look them up if you ever have a spare minute or two.

Ive always wanted to play violin. I bought a cheap one once and piddled, made some nice sound...and then picked up some sheet music. That was it for me! Holy christ that looked complicated and I can see why most people learn when theyre young.

2 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

PD, you'll find someone to spend time with.  Have fun with your journey.

LC, the vendor we got the snake from at the farmers market had all sorts of different pumpkins & gourds.  It was really hard to just walk away with one, thank heaven we don't have the wagon at the motel or Shortman would have brought that along to bring them back.

QB, you sure do have a big heart.  Hope you are able to become a good influence for this girl.  As for the pie, did you question the contents?

It is so beautiful outside today.  We are at that time of year where Old Man Winter can appear any moment.  In fact yesterday morning we had frost.

I have to admit, I do love that pic. My cowgirl has been very good lately and was very helpful yesterday. So, her leading the way on Mr. Butters, new girl lookin pretty good on the appy, and my Benny pup following behind. That pic says a lot to me. 

The meat pie was delish! Lol

Im loving the weather here today! Its raining but not hard, just wet and misty. Best part is that its 60 degrees, not humid, and the bugs are in hiding. Ahh, so nice! Ive got the crockpot going and just gonna relax and watch a movie. Might even crack the windows open...gasp!

Burt is adorable!

I don't dare put this on the Debate board because it will morph into an argument about politics and religion, so I thought I'd ask you guys here what you think.  

This story is making rounds down here.  A lady sheltered pets during the hurricane, but was arrested afterwards for practicing vet medicine without a license.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/22/florence-good-samaritan-arrested-after-helping-pets-during-storm/1397025002/

I think she was wrong for giving prescription meds without consulting a veterinarian.  If she had a vet that trusted her, it would not have been a big deal because they could have vouched for her.  For example, if I call my vet because I need Banamine (a controlled med) they trust me enough to sell me a bottle to keep on hand.  I think most of us are in the same situation.  If I need to administer it, I would typically call my vet to let them know because something serious is going on (colic, et...).  They trust me not to misuse it and that if I need to use it, I will be calling them, anyway.  That Banamine stopped colic twice over the summer when the vet was unable to come out.  Saved their covering vet a long drive and me two large vet bills.  I definitely appreciate that level of trust.    

There are so many ways to communicate, I'm sure she could have consulted a vet, but did not.  She could have contacted the shelter.  She may also have issues with controlled meds herself (it is unusual to have Tramadol on hand).  I think there is more to the story.  Perhaps other issues in the past.  However, today, people scream victim, even if they are acting inappropriately.  

This is a hard one.  As there are people who are genuine with rescue & those who smell rather fishy.  

There are so many questions for this person on procedures if they had them in place.  Example: vet, contact of other shelters for assistance, documentation of getting kennel license, documentation of incoming animals, procedure to process the animals back to owners or new homes.

I couldn't see a fuss for the amoxycillin, but the Tramadol without a vet's supervision is a BIG problem.

Ive seen this before...the "practicing veterinary care without a license" thing. I think we're all guilty to some degree. I wish it were more specific. Lets face it, you or I could do a poultice, give an injection, doctor a wound, maybe even give stitches..but that considered veterinary care. There is a lady in my area that does her own castrations and nearly killed a horse last year...thats where practicing without a license should be illegal and dealt with. In the case of emergency like the story above, I dont know, I think the law should be somewhat lenient. But at the same time there is always that one fruit loop that jacks things up.

I have Tramadol on hand, but I also have a current Rx for it and would not be handing it out to my pets w/out veterinary advice.  I can see this person having a big heart and wanting to help but  I have to agree with NoPonies about the tramadol administration.  I keep Abx, triple-antibiotic cream and de-wormer on hand to use as needed but for everything else, I need to take mine to the vet.  I also think LC is on-the-nose about having a good relationship with your vet regarding notification of and advice for treatment and medications.  RW brings up an excellent point about properly documenting the animals taken in and who they belonged to - this would help ensure the seized animals were returned to their proper owners.  QB also brings up excellent points about emergency/crisis situations and what exactly constitutes veterinary care vs good ownership and stewarding of our livestock and pets.

I think if she had limited herself to using OTC things, and not administered the tramadol, she may not have found herself in this position.  
The article doesn't say, but I wonder if she did, or did not, have an Rx for the Tramadol she had available.
It just seems .... awfully quick .... for her fledgling shelter to go from helping during a crisis to AC knocking on their door and threatening a warrant.  And I'd like to know what the "solicitation to commit a crime" was about.  There *has* to be more to this story.

We have a local pet rescue that was asking for donations of left over Tamaflu. They were treating puppies with parvo. No one questioned this practice. 

1 hour ago, Danyel said:

We have a local pet rescue that was asking for donations of left over Tamaflu. They were treating puppies with parvo. No one questioned this practice. 

Say whaaat?! Im gonna have to look into how Tamaflu treats parvo.....interesting.

QueenBAW - what a nice thing you are doing for that young woman - and she sits a horse very nicely!