Use the tail covers. I haven't bushhogged in a month and the grass is knee high in the pastures. I need a horse that doesn't have to wear a grazing muzzle.

Well, I got one tail bag on last night. Took me a couple hours to comb all the burrs out of Sonics tail and get it on, but by golly its on. Now if I go out to feed tonight and its gone, I might loose my mind.

In other news, the plot thickens on the whole paternity issue. My brothers wife and father (who is a geneology whiz) sat down and poured over ancestry.com yesterday for us and have come to the conclusion that its not my brothers father that we're looking for, but MINE. And, my father is a first cousin of the man Ive known as my father all my life. Guess ol mom kept it in the family.  

13 hours ago, jubal said:

I'd have some of both if my fences would hold them. I have three board wood and they could walk right under.

How about a llama? :P

No thanks. I don't want anything that might spit on me. Jubal makes a point of sneezing in my face daily!

10 hours ago, QueenBAW said:

Well, I got one tail bag on last night. Took me a couple hours to comb all the burrs out of Sonics tail and get it on, but by golly its on. Now if I go out to feed tonight and its gone, I might loose my mind.

In other news, the plot thickens on the whole paternity issue. My brothers wife and father (who is a geneology whiz) sat down and poured over ancestry.com yesterday for us and have come to the conclusion that its not my brothers father that we're looking for, but MINE. And, my father is a first cousin of the man Ive known as my father all my life. Guess ol mom kept it in the family.  

You should write a book, Queen.

4 minutes ago, jubal said:

No thanks. I don't want anything that might spit on me. Jubal makes a point of sneezing in my face daily!

That pretty much leaves cows. Some of the small breeds are kind of neat. I like the look of the Highlanders.

So, I have good news and bad news..lets do the good news first....Sonics tail bag was still on tonight!! Woohoo! It had a few burrs stuck to it here and there but nothing major and none in his tail hairs.  Aaand I got poor Mr. Butters' tail all brushed out tonight and his tail bag on. He has the prettiest fullest blonde tail, hopefully his tail bag will stay in and keep the burrs from making his tail a matted mess. I picked up a spray bottle of kids conditioning detangler in the African American hair section and Im tellin yall, it worked magic on Mr. Butters' tail tonight. And it smells sooo good. That might be my new "go to" for burrs in tails. 

Now the bad news...an Amish family was in an accident today. An 18 year old in a Honda rear ended thier buggy fast/hard enough to flip both Honda and buggy. Passengers in the buggy were said to have serious injuries but were going to be ok. One report says the horse didnt survive, people that were there said it did. Just very sad.

1 hour ago, noponies said:

That pretty much leaves cows. Some of the small breeds are kind of neat. I like the look of the Highlanders.

I know and I've thought about it. But it would be a pet because I couldn't send it to slaughter. I really don't like cow patties though.

QB,  To bad about the Amish  family that got rear ended.  But good they will be okay, unfortunate about the horse getting killed.

jubal,  It is good that you have good grass, but a horse that can't eat much of it.  A second horse, might work, but thenyou just have double expense, with farrier bill & al other up keep, kind of a no win situation. PD

^^^I've been seriously considering it, PD. A normal horse could live in the pasture with a run-in to the barn. That would be a fraction of the work and would virtually eliminate mowing the pasture. Jubal has been unrideable for nearly a year. He's close to sound now but if I don't get on a horse soon, I may not be able to.

jubal,  Good horses are not cheap,  but the up front cost, often times is cheaper than trying to fix a cheap horse. Your current horse may do  better with companionship.  But the other expenses do double,  but if you have good grass, you just have to feed less hay. There is always the pros & cons to every situation, I wish you well finding a workable situation.   Best Wishes.  PD

Jubal, get a good riding lawnmower.  Our zero turn will go through knee high thick grass & cuts ok.  Just have to take it slow & if you want it looking more finished then you go over it again.

So yesterday we worked at the farm for half the day.  Hubby got all sorts of brush cut in the woods with the monster cutter.  Then he put on the bucket & pushed the old fence line into a pile.  We also got the paddock finished & the ponies moved to where they belong.

Did make some accomplishment in the house with cleaning out rooms.  Shortman's was the first to tackle, got it fairly done but I don't dare clean out to much of his stuff.  Then got out room cleaned out.  The donation pile is growing & the dumpster is filling.  Great feeling to get something done but is my back ever hurting today.

We just got back from DC.  Contracted a violent tummy flu.  After 15 hours, I could finally hold down water.  Popsicle just stayed so I might try a few crackers. Fed the animals this morning in slow motion.  Got the most sympathy from the donkey, Libby, and my favorite cow.  Chickens couldn’t care less, lol!

It is funny how some of our critters totally get when we are down or not feeling good.  What is interesting is they will act differently when you are around them.

Sure hope you start feeling better.

LC, Hope you feel better soon,  feeling sick is no fun ,  but glad yout cow & donkey knew you were not feeling up, to par.  Animals, we think they don't know much,  but they do observe.  This different, but my FIL used to say, there was no use him going to feed his cows, if he was mad or upset about something, as they would know it before he ever got there. PD

RRW, I have a zero turn for the yard but it wouldn't have cut the pasture. I finally did that today with the tractor and rotary mower. The horse was so excited, he rolled twice and bucked and played before he settled down to eat. We've had lots and lots of rain this summer so the mowing has been overwhelming.

PD, I definitely wouldn't buy a horse this time of year. Not enough riding time left before cold weather. Maybe in the spring if the world doesn't end.

LC, I'm sorry your trip ended with the flu. I'm just getting over bronchitis from **** after three weeks. Funny how animal owners can manage to keep taking care of them while at death's door, when any sane person wouldn't get out of bed.

RRW, I congratulate your energy. It helps when you have someone else sharing the work. My horse and cat won't lift a finger, ...er hoof, ...er paw.

I had to pick up LJ from school after he threw up. :(  I made two nests and we snuggled on the couch watching Bob Ross, lol!   We were both better by last night.  Kids bounce back quickly.  I had it longer, so it will be a longer recovery for me.   Most likely culprit is norovirus.   LJ is home from school for two more days to make sure he isn't comtagious.  I had to cancel subbing yesterday.  Meanwhile, there are stalls to clean and animals to care for.  We'll get it done.  

Glad you guys are doing well.  PD, that is so true about working with animals.  If I am training an animal, I need to make sure I'm in a patient frame of mind.  Same as teaching kids.  

RRW, I missed what your plans are for the farm.  Will you guys be moving there permenantly when it's fixed up?  Or, just during the off season?

Jubal, you are reading between the lines & figuring there is energy.  Well the energy is way gone, it was a task/job that had to be done.  Because I took just half a day it actually put me  behind at work.  It is a very sharp double edged sword with having to always figure what needs to be done.  

LC, up until last August we had lived on the farm for 15yrs.  I had to move into the motel to be the operator & believe me Id rather be at home.  The living quarters at the motel are just about ready for us to move into.  The goal at the farm is to get the house cleaned out & everything put into storage.  At one point we had talked about remodeling the house but it is in need of so much that I've been noodling around the idea to of stick build or modular.  Sadly building will not happen anytime soon.  Hubby figures two years & we can be back on the farm.  Me we are not going any where till we find a manager for the motel & I am not holding my breath.   As for the out buildings we are going to look at the quonset & see if it would be good yet & have it re roofed to use for hay storage.  Then get a bid on taking down the three smaller buildings.  Lastly we will have to look at taking down the barn.  That will be the biggest mess. 

When it comes to down time it is only two weeks during the holiday.  Otherwise we are running the business all year as you cant afford to be seasonal & trains don't operate well with shut/down start up in the winter. 

The motel is only 5.5 miles south of the depot & we offer shuttle service for those going on the dinner train.  Our farm is about 9 miles from town.  I would go out & fart around with the ponies or work in the house but I have a hard enough time getting away for a while on Sunday & that is time spent as a family, not the farm.

Currently hubby goes out morning & night to attend to the ponies.  Now that they are back in the paddock it won't be as much work with carrying hay & water.  I have thought about getting a round bale feeder.

Guuuysss guess what! Mr. Butters tail bag stayed on and Sonics was still on! Woohoo! Spent some time last night taking Sonics off and brushing his tail, removing burrs from the tail bag its self and putting it back on. I'll probably do the same with Mr. Butters tonight. I need to order some more so I can switch out and wash them. 

Whew, Im whooped. Working a lot of overtime this week and worked 5am - 5pm today. Came home with my eyes barely open and ran to the farm to feed. My cowgirl came to help and boy she helped a lot! She loved the tail bags, lol. We even caught Breyer the youngest (now a weanling really) mini and got a halter on him. He was quite the bronc so I decided to tie an old leadrope to the halter and let him halter break himself out in the field over the next few days. Plus my cowgirl has never seen it done that way, and Im trying to teach/show her different ways things can be done. We had to "set a trap" to catch the little bugger since we've had a really hard time just cornering him. We used a hog panel and a corner of the fence and cornered him and then closed the corner off with the hog panel. My cowgirl was a huuge help with this. Got him haltered and then removed the panel. He was stepping on the leadrope and trying to figure it out when we left. Now its shower time, and bed! Back to work tomorrow.

oh overtime days can be the best when you are money hungry.  Remember doing 3-4 doubles in a row in the old nursing home days.  Sure don't miss those hours.  Wait a minute......usually work 16 hrs everyday.  Just not for somebody else.

QB, Glad you caught the mini foal,  & got a halter on him,  & I hope you are sleeping soundly as I type this & you get the rest you badly need.

RRW,  Got one question for you. How many days of the week do you work over 40 hours? And it is just part of the job & if you don't get it done, nobody else will.  I know there are alot of demands on your time daily. & I bet you have multi tasking down to a science.  Best Wishes. PD