Run run run kind of day.  Tonight we have a Halloween party to attend & it is a big highlite to the year.  Fingers crossed it doesn't rain for trick-o-treating on Wednesday.  If it does we will only candy collect at the businesses.

Well better get back to work.

Have a great day.

It rained here all day yesterday. Cold, pouring rain. My cowgirl helped me with the horses yesterday evening. The Appy was shivering so we blanketed her and my other 2 were already blanketed. We noticed the 2 minis shivering so my cowgirl came up with a plan...we would blanket them and put them in the small paddock for the night and then she would take their blankets off and turn them back out this morning. I agreed since they haven't had much time to grow their coats back from being clipped for the last show. I had to modify the belly straps on one but both blankets fit. Got them on ebay a couple months ago in anticipation of this very thing happening. I was sure that the little stinkers would rip them though, theyre always biting and pulling on everything. Curious little critters. Took them both a minute to settle down once I put them on. I went over how to take them off with my cowgirl several times before leaving last night making absolutely sure she would be responsible enough to remember to go down and take them off and have no trouble catching them and turning them back out in the field with everyone else. The minis seemed happier already when I left. I texted my cowgirls mom this morning to see if she had remembered to take the blankets off and she had just gone down to the barn to take care of everything. She didn't let me down! She called me to let me know that everything had gone just fine, she took her sister with her just in case. She said Margarita must have rolled in the dirt because her blanket was filthy, lol. She said it was drizzling just a little so she put the blankets upstairs in the barn so they wouldn't get wet..and neither tore or ripped their blanket. She said both minis were warm and dry. I'm very proud of her!

On 10/23/2018 at 11:32 AM, farah said:

I have yet to find a location that there is no cell service. EXCEPT highway 2 between Ashland, WI and Superior, WI!! My cell worked in Ixtapa and our property 45 minutes south of there (the middle of NO WHERE), St. Kitts and Nevis, and South Africa, 4 hours north of Johannesburg where we were hunting in September. :) Cell will work in Canada and the Bahamas, but only if you are willing to spend $10 a day for coverage (which I am willing to pay...)  :)

Our old farm had no service.  It was great.  Guests were aghast.  We sent them out to the road to do their phone calls.  It got better the last few years, sadly.

Well, the family horse search is on!  So far, we have a Mustang and an Appy in the running.  We are avoiding QHs and Paints.  Used to love them, but finding one that will stay sound is too much of a challenge.  Phoenix broke our hearts.  No more.  We will go with a smaller horse with good feet.  Our wish list is an Arabian (calm one), Appy (not too many QH lines), Morgan, mutt, or Mustang.  We are not very big people, so a little horse is fine.  Nothing gaited.  Just not our thing.  

Edited by little cow

LC,  you'll find the perfect horse for your family.  How is your pup & kitkat doing?  Are you now 100% settled into the new home?

QB,  fantastic that your cowgirl helped out.  She must be feeling really proud of herself.

Train them young, QB. It's really handy to have someone to help when you have to be away. Years ago, I had a neighbor that I taught to ride. She fed for me if I had to be away or went on vacations. I wish I had that now. There is a girl down the road who has a horse. But since I've found him grazing my yard twice, I don't think I could rely on her.

LC, Welsh ponies  are nice and they come in larger sizes. But they, as well as Morgans, are prone to founder. Every breed has drawbacks.  Apps get melanomas from sunlight and are prone to moon blindness. I've never known quarters to have bad feet. But with poor trimming, any horse can get bad feet.

RRW, hope you had a good time at the Halloween party. Did you go in costume?

Edited by jubal

RRW, thanks!  The puppy is now five months old.  He knows many commands and is really doing quite well.  He gets plenty of exercise, so that helps.  Someone said that a tired Chessie is a great dog, lol!  Delilah is great.  Her fur is about medium length now.  She is probably long haired, but we'll see if it stops at medium.  She is an absolute love.  She is also a little pudgy now.  :P

QB, you are doing great with the kids!  It takes a lot of energy, but they will always look back fondly at their time with you.  Just out of curiosity, how are they doing in school?  Do you have any rules about homework first or keeping their grades up to play with the ponies?  I know you may not be privy to that info.  

Jubal, down here, we have a lot of little feet, downhill builds, and bad feet.  Some is the trimming, but a lot is the breeding.  The good, sound ones are 6K plus.  We don't have that sort of budget.  

Edited by little cow

LC, good to hear you are all enjoying your new home/farm.  Puppies are so much fun when they are at the rolly stage.

Nothing really going on in my neck of the woods.  Just another day of planting feet on the ground & go.

17 hours ago, little cow said:

RRW, thanks!  The puppy is now five months old.  He knows many commands and is really doing quite well.  He gets plenty of exercise, so that helps.  Someone said that a tired Chessie is a great dog, lol!  Delilah is great.  Her fur is about medium length now.  She is probably long haired, but we'll see if it stops at medium.  She is an absolute love.  She is also a little pudgy now.  :P

QB, you are doing great with the kids!  It takes a lot of energy, but they will always look back fondly at their time with you.  Just out of curiosity, how are they doing in school?  Do you have any rules about homework first or keeping their grades up to play with the ponies?  I know you may not be privy to that info.  

Jubal, down here, we have a lot of little feet, downhill builds, and bad feet.  Some is the trimming, but a lot is the breeding.  The good, sound ones are 6K plus.  We don't have that sort of budget.  

Maybe you need to travel farther north in your search.  Here's a link to Louisville Craig's list and Lexington.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/search/gra?query=horse

https://lexington.craigslist.org/search/gra?query=horse

LC,  Wish you luck finding the right horse, that can be a job, & a person can second guess themselves to death.  So I wish you well.  Nothing exciting happening my way, sure isn't because I haven't tried,  I'm tired of this being alone, soon be 11 months since Mozelle passed. Time goes by fast, & where it goes a person wonders.   PD

On 10/27/2018 at 8:26 PM, jubal said:

Train them young, QB. It's really handy to have someone to help when you have to be away. Years ago, I had a neighbor that I taught to ride. She fed for me if I had to be away or went on vacations. I wish I had that now. There is a girl down the road who has a horse. But since I've found him grazing my yard twice, I don't think I could rely on her.

LC, Welsh ponies  are nice and they come in larger sizes. But they, as well as Morgans, are prone to founder. Every breed has drawbacks.  Apps get melanomas from sunlight and are prone to moon blindness. I've never known quarters to have bad feet. But with poor trimming, any horse can get bad feet.

RRW, hope you had a good time at the Halloween party. Did you go in costume?

She is now prepping the feed for me. I asked if she wanted to take on more responsibility, and she jumped at it. Mr. Butters and Sonic have been getting a quart of beet pulp and a quart of alfalfa pellets soaked in addition to their grain. I have been soaking it at home but when I work 12 hour shifts I feel like thats too long to soak, and its making my house smelly. SO...we put the beet pulp and alfalfa in thier buckets and leave them on the shelf in the feed room. When she comes home from school she goes to the barn and puts water in the buckets for me. So by the time I get off work and come down to feed, its been soaking for a couple hours. I told her if she forgets to just call me. Today is day 2. 

On 10/28/2018 at 5:30 PM, little cow said:

Thank you! Ive spent a TON of money on these horses/ponies/kids, but in the end its the memories that matter most. They are doing great in school. And yes, school and homework always comes first. So does a good attitude at home etc. In trouble at home? Then no horses. Low grade? Lets discuss it, lets go up in the barn and learn it/study it...but no horses til its fixed. 

8 hours ago, little cow said:

Rode a nice Appaloosa yesterday.  He might be the right horse.  PPE is Friday.  

Eyes..have the eyes looked at. 

Ive been on both extremes of Appys. Ive been on some wildly crazy Appys. The Appy mare I have now I wouldnt trade for anything, but her eyes are bad.

2 hours ago, Proud Dad said:

LC,  Wish you luck finding the right horse, that can be a job, & a person can second guess themselves to death.  So I wish you well.  Nothing exciting happening my way, sure isn't because I haven't tried,  I'm tired of this being alone, soon be 11 months since Mozelle passed. Time goes by fast, & where it goes a person wonders.   PD

I sure hope you find someone to spend time with soon. No one should be alone.

QB,  Thanks for your support, but I also hope you have some one special in your life in the future,  easier to find when you are not looking.

It is when we are looking a different direction that something is found.  Then usually how it works is it always happens at the wrong time.

QB, it is amazing how kids change when they are given a responsibility.  It gives them a great sense of pride.

15 minutes ago, Proud Dad said:

QB,  Thanks for your support, but I also hope you have some one special in your life in the future,  easier to find when you are not looking.

Maybe far into the future. I have a pretty good track record of picking the wrong guys, so I'll just hang out with the kids for a while lol.

7 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

It is when we are looking a different direction that something is found.  Then usually how it works is it always happens at the wrong time.

QB, it is amazing how kids change when they are given a responsibility.  It gives them a great sense of pride.

We'll see how long it lasts. I anticipate she will forget one evening and then be very disappointed in herself. It will be a good lesson.

QB,  Only you can know what is right for you. You do an awesome job with those girls,  I think you'l get rewarded in the end. Yes there will be ups & downs with them.  But life doesn't always go the way we would like either,  with success, you also have to accept failure, that is part of the lesson of life. As far as companion in life, just keep your options open.  You have to much to offer the right person, to not let the right person in.

Edited by Proud Dad

PD, I hope there is something you can do in your community that gets you out and about. 

I lived with a widow in college.  I was her roommate.  An older lady in her 60s does not usually have a college kid as a roommate, but she was reeling from the loss of her husband and advertised for a roommate to live in her finished basement.  We developed a lifelong friendship  She is our son's godmother.  She also met another man about the time I moved on.  He has been wonderful to her.  She never thought she could find happiness twice, but it happened.  They were married after only a few months (she told me that when you are more experienced, you figure it out quickly).  One of her friends commented on the quick engagement in a bit of a catty way.  My friend looked at her right in the eye and deadpanned, "I'm pregnant".  We still laugh about that.  

6 hours ago, little cow said:

PD, I hope there is something you can do in your community that gets you out and about. 

I lived with a widow in college.  I was her roommate.  An older lady in her 60s does not usually have a college kid as a roommate, but she was reeling from the loss of her husband and advertised for a roommate to live in her finished basement.  We developed a lifelong friendship  She is our son's godmother.  She also met another man about the time I moved on.  He has been wonderful to her.  She never thought she could find happiness twice, but it happened.  They were married after only a few months (she told me that when you are more experienced, you figure it out quickly).  One of her friends commented on the quick engagement in a bit of a catty way.  My friend looked at her right in the eye and deadpanned, "I'm pregnant".  We still laugh about that.  

LC,  Thanks for the encouragement, I've several single ladies, in fact having lunch with one tomorrow.  There are some that have told me that I have not grieved long enough yet to consider looking for another. Mozelle has ben gone 11 months, & at 71 I only have so much time left in this world, to enjoy life, & I don't want to do it alone. When you had a good marriage, only natural you want to find love again. I've looking with some effort since May, I even went out with Mozelle's best friend from her youth, found we could only be friends, now she is the person I go to when I have domestic challenges. She walked through making both beefstew  & meat loaf, so feel bit smarter now.  PD

Nothing better than the satisfaction of filling up a dumpster.  Got the back parking lot leaves blown off & then I went into the garage.  Well the dumpster had nothing in it so why not fill it up some, however, it hardly made a dent in the garage.

PD,  you find that special someone.  On the positive you do have a good support system from your friends.  Any chance that one of them enjoys horseback riding?

Well, for some reason I had a doubtful feeling that my cowgirl did her part of the feed routine yesterday. But I was wrong. She remembered and is feeling quite proud of herself.

Im looking into takingng her on a real trail ride. I think shes definitely ready, and deserves it. We have 2 minis to clean up and take sales pics of in the next week. Shes super excited about that. Im cutting back on my 2nd job so I can enjoy the nice weather and horses for a while too. 

QB, good idea on cutting back with the 2nd job when weather is nice.  Winter is just around the corner & you can take all the hours then. 

4 hours ago, Proud Dad said:

LC,  Thanks for the encouragement, I've several single ladies, in fact having lunch with one tomorrow.  There are some that have told me that I have not grieved long enough yet to consider looking for another. Mozelle has ben gone 11 months, & at 71 I only have so much time left in this world, to enjoy life, & I don't want to do it alone. When you had a good marriage, only natural you want to find love again. I've looking with some effort since May, I even went out with Mozelle's best friend from her youth, found we could only be friends, now she is the person I go to when I have domestic challenges. She walked through making both beefstew  & meat loaf, so feel bit smarter now.  PD

Don't rush. Its better to be 10 years alone than to spend one year tied to the wrong person.

11 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

PD,  you find that special someone.  On the positive you do have a good support system from your friends.  Any chance that one of them enjoys horseback riding?

RRW,  The lady I'm seeing tomorrow is a die hard horse lover.  we've been in contact for 3-4 weeks, just havren't met yet, She would like to get out on ride with me before the snow flies, & that is coming soon. But up until lately I haven't felt like riding either. 

noponies,  I undrerstand what you are saying, I have no desire to get married, or having a live in, I figure everything I've got in this world, belongs to my daughters.  As they will always come first.  But I do want companionship of somebody at times, this living alone all the time is for the birds.  As what I'm doing now is not living, it is merely existing. PD