Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Proud Dad said:

LC,  Thanks for the encouragement, I've several single ladies, in fact having lunch with one tomorrow.  There are some that have told me that I have not grieved long enough yet to consider looking for another. Mozelle has ben gone 11 months, & at 71 I only have so much time left in this world, to enjoy life, & I don't want to do it alone. When you had a good marriage, only natural you want to find love again. I've looking with some effort since May, I even went out with Mozelle's best friend from her youth, found we could only be friends, now she is the person I go to when I have domestic challenges. She walked through making both beefstew  & meat loaf, so feel bit smarter now.  PD

No one can tell you how long to mourn.  If your heart is ready, follow where it may lead you.  There are ways to protect your daughters and still enjoy companionship.

Edited by little cow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you raise cattle, people say you need to know how to make tough choices.  Well, we've been doing this long enough to do that, but sometimes it's still hard.  There isn't a single cattleman that doesn't get attached to the old ones occasionally. 

When we moved to a smaller farm, I was anxious about our herd, even though I had cut back the number of cattle.  We still had too many.  I needed to let a few more go, but I either have young heifers or old mama cows.  What to do with those old mamas troubled me.  I put my big girl pants on and checked out the auction prices.  Dismal.  Absolutely some of the worst prices in years.  $50 for an old cow!  And the unknown end to my long serving mama cows.  It wasn't good enough.  I looked at a bullet and burying, (we could do that at our old place) but it isn't an option on our new farm because of the water table.  Well, after an ad placed, I found a man and his wife with too much pasture and winter hay (they grow their own) and a love for Dexters.  Tara and April will join other old cows to give this gentleman his tax break and get a more dignified end.  The third old mama cow has arthritis.  Her end will be at our local slaughterhouse.  She is fairly young, but she is the only dwarf Dexter we ever had.  Never again.  They get arthritis early due to the dwarf gene.  She is probably bred back but having her go on with the pregnancy would be wrong because she is beginning to have trouble getting around.  I wish more horse breeders would show the same compassion for lame old broodies that they keep breeding back.  I hate seeing that.  

Edited by little cow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LC, can't see how you couldn't get attached to one or two specific animals. But for those who can cut back always have in their mind that it is still just a cow, chicken, sheep ect.  One can still have the joy of raising yet get down to business.

PD hope your lunch went well & you had a nice visit with this gal. As hard as it is don't give up on to many of you interests.  If only it were easier to get away I'd gladly meet with you for lunch whenever your in need of a chat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposed to have another nice day.  If get a chance the Halloween decor is getting put away.  Because of the funky weather this past season the pumpkins are all ready rotten.  Never seen them this bad before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RRW, one year my neighbor told me to come over and pick out a pumpkin. I chose a tall skinny one and had plans for the spooky face I would carve on it. The day finally came when it had to be carved. I lifted it up by the stem and the whole top of it came off and a gooey mess went all down my clothes. It was the worst thing I ever smelled! I washed my clothes three times to get it out. I very rarely carve one now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we went to pick pumpkins off the wagon there were a number that the stems were mush.  Never seen stems go bad.  Number of times picked up pumpkins only to have your finger go in a gooey soft spot.

Its been about 5yrs since we have carved a pumpkin.  Shortman doesn't really have any interest, but then again he really doesn't like pulling the guts.  I'll usually get a straw bale & arrange whole pumpkins around it at our front door. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to brag on my cowgirl a minute. My day at work yesterday was horrible. It started with not one but 2 patients on the floor, a stroke, and one nearly code blue. It only got worse from there, as if it could possibly get worse. I had 2 post op patients, one of  which was confused and decided to take a walk on her new hip. The other post op was very demanding at the smallest things. 3 other patients needed help toileting, one total care, and one jumper we had to fly out at the change of shift last night. Of course I stayed late to help the flight crew pack him up. My entire body hurt so bad and I was so exhausted that when I was nearly rear ended by an 18 wheeler last night, I didn't even care. Hats off to the 18 wheeler driver who was able to think and act fast and avoid me. The car in front of me had come to a screeching halt for a deer. I followed him for a ways hoping he'd stop for fuel so I could hug him. I was so exhausted, but I had horses to feed. I went to the farm, and my cowgirl had remembered to soak the feed....even on Halloween when most kids would be thinking of trick or treating, she remembered to soak the feed. I sent her mom a text telling her to give her a huge hug for me, she'll never understand how helpful she was in doing that. Made my night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  I stopped & bought candy yesterday in case I had any Trick or treaters. No Not one.  Good thing some grandkids will help take candy off my hands.

QB,  Glad you are okay, after what had to be a  very difficult day. I bet you found feeding horses a bit relaxing, after exhausting day.  Glad you are still here to share it with us. Take Care All.  PD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RailroadWoman said:

Good end to a horrible day at work.  Are you on your days off now or have to go back to it.

Back at it today, off tomorrow, then back for 4 days, then off for 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QB ,   Enjoy your day off, it will give you a bit of a break from the stress of work, but might feel like you never left when you walk back into work.  Take Care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you just need to decompress tomorrow with a movie & big bowl of popcorn.  If your pups are anything like mine the would REALLY appreciate you sharing that bowl of popcorn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Husband and I spent yesterday afternoon and early evening in the ER because he had some chest issues.  Before lunch he said he was just feeling "off" and the R side of his chest felt as if someone was gripping his t-shirt but had his chest skin, too.  Then he got sweaty and nauseous.  He tried to ride it out but the chest thing spread to the L side and he decided to go to the ER.  He called me at work and I met him there.  They hooked all kinds of wires to his chest, drew blood and did a chest x-ray.  I arrived about 10min after he did and already the sweating and nausea were gone.  Doc came in and said the results were good - no indication of a heart attack.  They kept him there a couple more hours so they could re-do the blood test and that came back the same (negative for troponin levels) as well.  Cautioned him against exertion, told him to take 24hrs off work to stay resting and do nothing strenuous.  He called his primary Dr. today and will see her in about an hour.

PS - I was in a Halloween costume.

My boss is dressed as "death" and he decided to call me a sorceress.

Image may contain: 2 people, including Blake Peters, people smiling, people standing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heidi n Q said:

Husband and I spent yesterday afternoon and early evening in the ER because he had some chest issues.  Before lunch he said he was just feeling "off" and the R side of his chest felt as if someone was gripping his t-shirt but had his chest skin, too.  Then he got sweaty and nauseous.  He tried to ride it out but the chest thing spread to the L side and he decided to go to the ER.  He called me at work and I met him there.  They hooked all kinds of wires to his chest, drew blood and did a chest x-ray.  I arrived about 10min after he did and already the sweating and nausea were gone.  Doc came in and said the results were good - no indication of a heart attack.  They kept him there a couple more hours so they could re-do the blood test and that came back the same (negative for troponin levels) as well.  Cautioned him against exertion, told him to take 24hrs off work to stay resting and do nothing strenuous.  He called his primary Dr. today and will see her in about an hour.

PS - I was in a Halloween costume.

My boss is dressed as "death" and he decided to call me a sorceress.

Image may contain: 2 people, including Blake Peters, people smiling, people standing

Glad your husband turned out to be ok! Love the costume!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RailroadWoman said:

Sounds like you just need to decompress tomorrow with a movie & big bowl of popcorn.  If your pups are anything like mine the would REALLY appreciate you sharing that bowl of popcorn.

Im spending my day tomorrow with my brother and his wife and kids. My brothers birthday is tomorrow. We're taking the kids to a huge science museum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^That witch heritage showing up!

Queen, your truck driver was trying to make up for the one who pulled out in front of me from a dead stop on the side of the interstate yesterday.  It was raining hard and I fishtailed all over the road trying to stop. I had already looked at the ditch to see if I could survive going off. I have no idea why he did that but I followed him hoping he'd stop somewhere so I could yell at him. I guess it was not my day to die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QB, going to a science museum is always lots of fun.

Heidi, good thing you hubby didn't ride it out.  As you never can tell what may happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well......

Hubby saw his regular Dr. Thursday afternoon and remembered he took a supplement that morning.  While he was at the Dr's, he called his boss and asked him to take a photo of the box/bottle on the lunchroom counter and text it to him.  Bam!  Doc takes one look at it and says "There's your culprit!"  It was some energy-thing with high caffeine and amino-acids and stuff.  He hasn't been eating well since his dental surgery last week and taking that just sent his body over the edge and into a free-fall.  When he called me at work today, I could tell by the change in his voice how much he had worried about that episode that sent him to the ER.  

We are just glad to know it was easily explainable and wasn't something serious like an underlying condition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heidi,  Glad your husbands tests came back normal, but like his proactive approach, to getting things checked out. Just wish him the best for me.  Glad they found the culprit,  & things are looking up.  Great looking costumes on you & your boss. Now I've seen the smile of death, or is that a grin. You both look awesome. Best Wishes. PD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your hubby had a reaction to a energy drink like that just image what it does to people who drink them all the time.

Edited by RailroadWoman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried a sip of a ... may have been a RedBull ... and thought it tasted like liquid SweetTarts. 

I thought that must be a pure sugar rush for those that drink them regularly!  And that can't be good for a body to be pushed into activity like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be still my heart...

I bought a dry erase board for the feed room so my cowgirl and I can communicate on my days that I work and wont see her. For example, I work the next 4 days and wont get down to feed until after her bedtime. I took it down last night and wrote her a note thanking her for her hard work. Today I spent the day with my brother and his family and am just getting home. It had poured rain most of the day. She had called me on my way home but I had run into a convenience store for a snack and left my phone in the car. Her number always comes up "unknown" and Im not able to call her back. I thought that maybe she didnt go down in the pouring rain to soak the feed, so Id stop by and check since theres enought time for it too soak before its late. Sure enough, she had done it....and responded to my note on the dry erase board.( I'll post the pic in a second, the website is being funny.) I almost teared up.

20181102_180743.jpg

Edited by QueenBAW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, little cow said:

We bought the Appy!  Pictures tomorrow.  It’s rainy and yucky tonight.  

Cant wait to see pics!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

I tried a sip of a ... may have been a RedBull ... and thought it tasted like liquid SweetTarts. 

I thought that must be a pure sugar rush for those that drink them regularly!  And that can't be good for a body to be pushed into activity like that.

I wish theyd take that sh!t off the market. I had a coworker develop a seizure disorder from drinking Red Bull years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, QueenBAW said:

Be still my heart...

I bought a dry erase board for the feed room so my cowgirl and I can communicate on my days that I work and wont see her. For example, I work the next 4 days and wont get down to feed until after her bedtime. I took it down last night and wrote her a note thanking her for her hard work. Today I spent the day with my brother and his family and am just getting home. It had poured rain most of the day. She had called me on my way home but I had run into a convenience store for a snack and left my phone in the car. Her number always comes up "unknown" and Im not able to call her back. I thought that maybe she didnt go down in the pouring rain to soak the feed, so Id stop by and check since theres enought time for it too soak before its late. Sure enough, she had done it....and responded to my note on the dry erase board.( I'll post the pic in a second, the website is being funny.) I almost teared up.

20181102_180743.jpg

Thats pretty wonderful, actually

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, jubal said:

That kid needed you. You are doing a good thing, Queen. Aren't you glad you gave her another chance?

Yes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, Queen!  

Wait, you have a kid that can feed for you?  Imagine the freedom, lol!  She learns responsibility and you get a little time now and again.  Sounds like a winner!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now