3 hours ago, little cow said:

Awesome, Queen!  

Wait, you have a kid that can feed for you?  Imagine the freedom, lol!  She learns responsibility and you get a little time now and again.  Sounds like a winner!

Not quite feeding yet. Shes been soaking the feed for Sonic and Mr. Butters. So by the time I come down to feed its all ready. She does help bring the horses in and feed, but not all by herself yet.

LC, can't wait to hear & see your new addition to the farm.

QB, you will always have a special place in that girls heart no matter where the road takes her.

QB,  May I ask what kind of feed you are soaking?  Is it corn , oats or some kind of hay cubes?  Curious minds want to know.  I do soak my horses grain in the AM, just so they have some moisture, before they eat dry hay.  PD

YAY!  Yay for both LC buying the Appy and for Queen making such a positive impact in her little cowgirl!

3 hours ago, Proud Dad said:

QB,  May I ask what kind of feed you are soaking?  Is it corn , oats or some kind of hay cubes?  Curious minds want to know.  I do soak my horses grain in the AM, just so they have some moisture, before they eat dry hay.  PD

Beet pulp and alfalfa pellets

3 hours ago, QueenBAW said:

Beet pulp and alfalfa pellets

I can see where you ned to soak beet pulp,  When my daughters were in 4H, if someone brought a daity cow to show at fair, some used soak beet pulp, to be sure they got enough water, as some cows didn't like the chlorine taste of city water.  I know beet pulp serves alot of different needs for some animals.   PD

This is Freckles.  His hooves are way too long and he has thrush, but the farrier is coming on Tuesday.  Thrush meds daily will help.  His owners recognized that they are not physically able to keep up with hooves, grooming and riding, so they did the selfless thing by letting him go to a new home.  He did well on the prepurchase exam.  Eyes were sound.  Flexion tests went well.  Nothing unexpected for his age.  He does need his teeth floated, but that will be fine.  Temperament is very good and he is very amusing.  

LJ was leading him around this morning.  My husband might do a quick ride on the farm tomorrow, but his feet need to be done before we can take him out for a trail ride.  

At his old place the first time I looked at him:

fbHv43a.jpg

A3VTCaz.jpg

Home at our place:

OPH0Qf5.jpg

7fKT1rB.jpg

cqxdrbx.jpg

LC,  I think you did well, nice looking gelding, Just love him & enjoy him. He has nice markings on him. Happy Trails.  PD

Thanks, PD!  A lot of people don't like Appys.  They tend to be smart and the coloring isn't always something people like.  I follow the old adage about a good horse never being a bad color.  I like his markings, personally, but I know many people would not.  

I haven't owned a app in years & the last one was a solid bay, sold her   in 2005,  but still have a soft spot for them.  I hope he works well fot your family. Take Care.  PD

Oh I like him & he looks like a steady Eddie.  He has very nice color & markings.

As for the thrush nothing like 2x days of hoof scrubbing won't help fix.

I've never owned nor worked with an app but I love the look. The blanket ones are my favorites. Good look with your newest family member.

LC, over the years, I've owned many horses breeds and the appy was my favorite. My little appy mare was a challenge because she always tried to outsmart me! Once we got on the same page, she was a delight. All I had to do was walk out to the pasture with a halter and she would run up and stick her nose in it. Always ready to do something! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time with yours.

May I introduce .... O'Possible!
Image may contain: one or more people and cat

Time to feed dry food in the morning and take the bowls up at dusk.
*EDIT*
This is our outdoor cat box.  This is a pic of the top shelf, on the bottom it is separated by a half-wall and the entire bottom is filled with an outdoor kennel bed for heated winter sleeping and lounging.  It has a clear panel in front so I can see inside from the house and two small cat-sized openings to conserve heat, reduce draft and keep the cats safe from large dogs.

Edited by Heidi n Q

Heidi, Nice picture, but can't say that is cutest critter I've ever seen,  but I know they do take care of a lot of ticks & crawling bugs.  Thanks for sharing. PD

Did you just let him leave on his own?  That's the best policy.  They will fuss at you, but they really very docile creatures.  Martha taught us that.  If you remove the food at night, he won't stop by.

When I was a kid, we lived for a short while in an old farmhouse infested with huge rats. I was terrified of going to sleep at night. Those things look too much like those rats for me to EVER think they are anything but horrible.

4 hours ago, noponies said:

When I was a kid, we lived for a short while in an old farmhouse infested with huge rats. I was terrified of going to sleep at night. Those things look too much like those rats for me to EVER think they are anything but horrible.

Oh man, that would stink.  

I saw a show about dogs that had an old farmer bringing his rat terriers to a farm to hunt rats in a barn. Talk about quick eradication. I kind of felt bad for the rats, but the dogs looked so HAPPY!  They were clever hunters and knew how to snatch up a rat, whip it around, and break it’s neck.  Our dog goes after barn rats too, but she got nipped once. :( 

Edited by little cow

Heidi how ever did you get those kitten to smile on cue?

Hounds make good hunter killers.  We never had unwanted critters on the farm with Mickey.  Chipmunks, flying squirrel, big old river rats, coons, deer or bear the place was clean.  Course the coon, bear & deer were run off.  Only thing George is good about protecting us from are low flying eagles.  Yupp...George will chase & bark as they fly over the farm.

So I got a call from hubby that one of our staffers had a fire at their home.  Turns out they didn't lose their home but for how the electric is they were told by two electricians that if they used the electric it would def start a fire & they can't live in the home.  So to help them out we are letting them stay here till end of the month.  It is moments like this that makes one stop & count their blessings.

Today must be our day for helping out.  One staffer was going to head home only to find the lights on his vehicle weren't working & he has an hour drive.  So we let him borrow my truck.  Fingers cross this is the last of problems.