LC - love your new horse!  Best of luck with him - love him and enjoy him, that's what it's all about!

4 hours ago, jubal said:

This is a public service announcement:  VOTE!

jubal, On my way as I type this.  PD

21 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Heidi how ever did you get those kitten to smile on cue?

I told them to say "Cheese!" of course!  LOL  Very kind to help out your staffers.  They are lucky to be around you guys.

I'll be voting before work today.  

2 hours ago, jubal said:

Don't type and drive, PD. I want you to get there! l

jubal,   I didn't I have desk top computer, hard to drag that very far, I could do it on my phone, but I have hard enough time texting on that without messing my words up that don't want to mess with that. What has been interesting, we had someone named Jesse James running for some office, will be intresting to see tonight if he gets in office.  He wasn't on my ballott have no idea what he was running for.

We voted early.  Didn't change our minds either.  

Thanks, Magic!  The only known behavioral issue with him is getting his feet messed with.  He had two older owners with physical issues which limited their ability to keep his feet in good shape.  He is spoiled.  It's his back feet, mostly.  He tries to pull away, stomps, leans, and even kicks (saw that during the PPE).  I'm sure the owners didn't have the strength to hold on to his feet when he was naughty.  He stomps when he is cranky and they let that intimidate them.  They used a lead rope with a chain over the nose or under the lip, when he was naughty.  Maybe that gets the job done, but I'd like to train him out of it.  I will correct him if he stomps. 

I have been picking his feet almost daily since he's been here.  The test is today when the farrier comes.  Now, his feet look horrible, so, if they hurt, he's probably cranky.  He should feel better after his trim.  The daily training will continue until he stop his shenanigans.  

Edited by little cow

LC, have fun with your new boy.  It is amazing what they will learn with us just farting around with them.  He'll get it figured out & quickly.

LC, appys are smart. He will learn quickly that his little antics won't work. My appy was spoiled also and had a real bad habit of biting. She learned real quick that trick didn't work for me. She bit me bad one day and I threw my hands up and started screaming at her. She never tried it again. 

LC,  Your new horse might stand perfectly for farrier,  they often know when they can't push someones buttons & have met their match. 

5 hours ago, Proud Dad said:

jubal,   I didn't I have desk top computer, hard to drag that very far, I could do it on my phone, but I have hard enough time texting on that without messing my words up that don't want to mess with that. What has been interesting, we had someone named Jesse James running for some office, will be intresting to see tonight if he gets in office.  He wasn't on my ballott have no idea what he was running for.

He was probably running for bank examiner.

1 hour ago, jubal said:

He was probably running for bank examiner.

Mr James is winning his race for state legislature, with a shared name like he has, I can se where he might be a drawing card. PD

Jesse James, lol!

Freckles tried to pull away for the farrier.  The farrier is also very good.  He knows sore footed horses with some age on them need breaks.  So, he could have been a lot worse.  I think he's learning because I don't let him pull his feet away either.  He looked much more comfy when the trimming was done.  I told my boys to let me handle his feet until he is better behaved.

I was waiting for the stomp,  but he hasn't stomped once since he's been at our farm, actually.  It was probably unique to the owners or unique to the situation, which was the vet torquing and flexing his legs, which were already sore from long toes. 

4 hours ago, little cow said:

Jesse James, lol

LC,  Got to share some info about our Jesse James,  he won his race , & saw him interviewed on local tv,  I thought he came across as a very humble person.  But what is most interesting about him, he is a police chief in local community.

I'm glad  Freckles was  good for farrier, & that farrier, took his time, & made the trimming a pleasant experience,  should be much better with coming trimmings.   Best Wishes.   PD

LC - you will work through the feet issues.  My old guy was never a problem, but at 20, he has some arthritis in his hind end and he will not tolerate the farrier for his hind end, he kicks out pretty good.  He could stand for a trim, but his hooves are not great and he really can't go barefoot, so we are having to sedate him with Dormosedan, which is an oral sedative that we can administer.  Have done it the last 3 shoeings and its working great for him.  I know you won't need it, but thought I would share for others. 

Excited to be going to Equine Affaire in MA tomorrow and Friday - hope I learn some things and don't buy too much horsey stuff!

Thanks, Magic.  I have a tube of that gel.  We thought we might need it to transport our old fellow that we had to put down last spring.  It was a relatively short trip to the vet hospital where he was put down, but I had it on hand.  He ended up having a good day that morning, (not as much pain) so he traveled well.  Not sure I will need it again, but it's nice to have, just in case. 

I do like this new horse.  My husband likes him already.  He calls him either Freckles or Fred.  Fred is easier to say.  Anything is better than his two previous names: Lucky or Dakota.  I think every other horse down here is named Dakota.  Our vet begged us not to call him Lucky.  She swore every Lucky has had the opposite fortune, lol!

LC, I thought he looked like a Frank.  For some reason that was the first name that came to mind when you posted the pics.  However, do like Fred.

Magic, have fun at the expo.  Spend spend spend!!!!!!

When it comes to names for horses,  most come easily when it is time to eat, so I've found yelling out breakfast & dinner works very well. PD

14 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

Hoover 1 & Hoover 2

Sir Snarfsalot

Sir Chompsalot

Piggy Wiggy

These are the meal time names of my two

It comes to what ever works,  I have a white cat neutered tom cat that showed up here 2-3 years ago, & I named it Ivory, as I didn't want him called Whitey or Snow, so Ivy for short.

I whistle for mine when I step through the back door.  A symphony of sounds answers:  neigh, baa, moo, meeeeh, baa, moo, hee hee hee haaaaaw, baa, moooooooo, nicker,, a roo a roo aroooooo.  (Translation: horse, sheep, cow, goat, sheep, cow, donkey with warm up, sheep, insistent cow, pony, rooster with a speech impediment).  The only creatures that don't holler at me are the rabbits.  

Reminds me of Tucker.  When the dogs were put out in the morning Tucker would stand in a spot so he could look into the kitchen & when the dogs were let in he would voice his displeasure of not being fed asap.

Rabbits have a way of communicating not in words but actions.

RRW,  In time Short man might change his mind about his love for snow.  At his age I'm glad he can enjoy it. But the day will come when he says Oh Yuck!!!! It happens to the best of us.   But the sun is out & that brightens up the day. Best Wishes.  PD

Edited by Proud Dad

PD, the sun was out earlier this morning but it went back in hiding.  It was a nice cool crisp morning & I love it.  Had the dogs out playing Shortman almost shoveled half the parking lot at the motel.  It is the light fluffy crud so easy to push around.  At least we lucked out & didn't get what some parts of Kansas got.  

Friday was a frickin' roller coaster day.

My niece posted on Thursday that she was safe from the "Camp Fire" in California and I knew she was near Chico. Friday I see she posted about having to evacuate their home in Magalia. I didn't know where that was in relation to Chico so I googled it. Up pops news stories about how the town of Paradise has been 95% burned to the ground.
My elderly Aunt, Uncle (frail health) and their cat just moved there last week!

The phone number I had for Auntie was saying it wasn't valid. She wasn't responding to Messenger and she hadn't been on FB since Halloween, when they loaded up and moved (2dys driving).

I called Cal Butte Fire, the lady was kind but couldn't give me any info. I tried Red Cross to see if I could locate them on a Safe List but I needed their names and either a street address (did not have it) or a phone number (hers wasn't working).

I tried calling shelters and no one was answering phones. I called Butte County Sheriff Office but was disconnected after listening through the prompts.

Went to town to do some banking and then pay property taxes and saw a co-worker walking home from the library and I gave her a ride. She suggested I call hospitals and when I got home I did .... and found them!!!

Uncle had been admitted early Thurs. morning for heart issues and as she was driving home from the hospital, her neighborhood was ordered to evacuate so she grabbed a few things (forgetting Uncle's wallet with several $k in it) and the cat and left. Uncle had to be evacuated from that hospital (fire too close) to the one I found them at.

Auntie had been seen/discharges a few hours earlier from the ER to have her eye checked and they put me through to Uncle's room.  
I almost collapsed to the floor with relief.

Shortly after that, she posted on FB using someone else's FB account.  It was an online friend of hers that lived nearby-ish and he offered his home to her so they met during this emergency.

So many other people have been affected, I just, don't know how to put it into words.  But I am so glad my family is okay.

I'm glad you found your relatives, Heidi. I have a friend who lives near the one in Northern CA. I'm hoping this was the week he was going to NY.