Heidi, glad your family is okay.

I have family close to the Ventura fire.  They were the ones that lost their home last year in the fire.  They are packed and ready to evacuate.  My cousin knows some friends who were at the nightclub shooting (it's all in Ventura area).  In fact, they were at the country music festival in Las Vegas for that shooting.  Now, they have been in two shootings.  This younger generation will be like shellshocked WWII survivors.

Edited by little cow

Oh, I hope your friend is okay!

My Dog, LC, your cousin has been through the wringer!

Edited by Heidi n Q

I feel for those caught in  fires in California,  it impacts so many people, & to often they escape but have nothing to go back to.

Alot of tragic disasters this past year,  can't say which one was worse, just know that when  homes & life are lost,  it can leave a person lost also,. But as long as we are alive,  we rebuild & start over, but it is hard.  Best Wishes to all those that have had their faith tested.  Best Wishes.  PD

Hi All, Mondays must keep most folks busy, as it is very here today.  I've been tired today, so I watched some tv  7 fell asleep in the recliner,  not often that I do that during the day.  PD

PD, never feel guilty about naps. They are good for you! I'm so jealous of people that can fall asleep during the day.  I have so much trouble sleeping. I did have some down time today and read. We got our first snow. Only a couple inches but very cold out.

I got earlier than unusual, to take a kitten to vet to get fixed,  They wanted her there by by 7AM I had her there by 6:45,   thenI came home & leveled  2 loads of gravel that I had dumped my driveway , before it froze on me,  the fresh air & from cold to hot makes a person sleepy.  PD

Heidi Im glad everyone is ok. Good golly how scary.

Cold and rainy here. Supposed to get our first wintry mix Thursday morning. Booo, hiss. I want more fall, less winter! 

My cowgirl has been doing good with the feed. She forgot one day but it was ok. She checked in with me yesterday before she went to the barn because she knew I was off work all day and might have done it myself. And she was right. Saved herself from walking to the barn in the pouring rain. I fed early to avoid the pouring rain. 

Really fruatrated with Haleys mom right now. Haley is the teenage girl I had been sorta mentoring. Shes been in a residential treatment facility for a while now. Ive mesaaged her mom repeatedly asking how Haley is doing etc and all I get is a very short response if a response at all. Usually shes 'too busy" to respond YET she can find the time to send me multiple chain messages. Its driving me nuts. Once upon a time I had her blocked from sending me any messages because of all the stupid chain messages she would send. I only unblocked her to communicate regarding Haley. Im a little frustrated now. I definitely don't want Haley to think or feel that I have forgotten about her so I sent her a message although I know she wont be able to see it until she comes home...whenever that will be. I honestly think this girl would do much better in a different home altogether.

Alright for those of you who would love to take an afternoon nap I have a no fail plan to get you there.

1. Get a really really bad case of the hives.  I mean head to toe, swollen hands, front to back.

2. Get hives on Friday night after your local clinic closes.

3. Go to pharmacy I buy non drowsy Benadryl.

4. Take the recommend dosage every 4-5 hours to control your skin from driving you crazy.

5. Sit in a comfy chair or bed the rest of the day/night.

6. Monday go to your doctor for help.

Can't tell you the number of movies my hubby can say what the opening credits are but not what the movie is about.

What really funny is when one person falls asleep the first half but wakes up for the second half & the other is opposite.  On the brightside of this happening between the two you will know what happens.

I'm took a nap yesterday,  & was wanting another today,  Then I remembered I needed to refill stock tank & get the mail,  was wide awake when I came back in the house. I guess it will have to wait until I really want to watch something. PD

Our son sold two of his registered lambs.  A ewe and  ram, from different ewes.  They can begin a new flock.  His intention was to ship them to a farmer in Puerto Rico who lost his entire flock, but the red tape was too daunting.  Instead, he is donating the money from the sale to farmers in Puerto Rico.  He's a good kid.  

LC, oh how good of your boy.  Don't be surprised if he will want to raise & sell another.  With Shortman we do our best on teaching that there are times you are there to help out of the kindness of your heart & times to get paid. He really likes helping out of kindness.  Yet he is a worker & knows his jobs.  When the job is done he site doesn't mind the cash.

It is really to bad we are across the country as I believe our boys would have fun together.  How far from Orlando are you?  When we go around New Years we usually get a rental.  If your not terribly far I know I could talk hubby on paying a visit.

31 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

LC, oh how good of your boy.  Don't be surprised if he will want to raise & sell another.  With Shortman we do our best on teaching that there are times you are there to help out of the kindness of your heart & times to get paid. He really likes helping out of kindness.  Yet he is a worker & knows his jobs.  When the job is done he site doesn't mind the cash.

It is really to bad we are across the country as I believe our boys would have fun together.  How far from Orlando are you?  When we go around New Years we usually get a rental.  If your not terribly far I know I could talk hubby on paying a visit.

Kids in general, are generous. They only learn self-centeredness later, depending on the adults and older kids that influence them.

RRW, I think the boys would have a lot of fun!  We are about 2 1/2 hours north of Orlando.  Not a bad drive, though.  You are welcome to visit the farm.  All the animals are friendly.  :)

1 hour ago, RailroadWoman said:

We are finding it is very hard to teach the meaning of being humble.  

You mean he thinks owning trains makes him superior? LOL. I always thought I was luckier than other kids because my family had horses.

Good evening everybody,  can't believe  it has been 36 hours since anybody posted here.  Got 2 things to share with you. I was to dentist this AM,  & thought I would try to cook something today, I made a meat loaf & baked some potatoes, I remembered to season it this time,  I thought it turned out very good.  I almost broke my arm trying to pat myself on the back, but managed to save it. My next project is going to be beefstew, as I have some beefstew meat I have to use before it gets told on me. PD

They tell stories of the saints at John's Catholic school, so he has heard about humility being a virtue.  Teaching the virtues by using the saints is easy.  

It's something that kids would need to be taught.  Telling others what they have done comes naturally.  They just need to learn to temper it so it sounds more like a story, rather than bragging.  I think I learned at public school from kids being mocked if they bragged about anything.

PD, beef stew is easy.  Here's a good recipe. Just put in more of everything if you want leftovers. I don't do the flour and water thing because I don't like thickened gravy. I also leave out celery (beahhh). Rule of thumb is cook the beef 1/2 hour per pound and add vegetables 1 hour before beef is finished.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/classic-beef-stew/38aa1b3f-3f9b-44d8-a9c6-2f4e879613de

PD, if you have a 3-4qt crock pot that would be a great way to do a beef stew. veggies on the bottom, roast on top & for easy seasoning go to the store & get a little flavor packet.  Says right on the front Beef Stew it will give just enough seasoning.  If you like Chix & Biscuits I have a really easy crock recipe for that & it goes good with peas or carrots.

Let me or us know as we HCer's will get you cooking.