RRW,   Thanks for the offer,   for right now I want to just to perfect what I started.  I might take you up on the offer, as winter season progresses. PD

You can drop spoon dumplings on that crockpot stew with an egg and some biscuit mix. My waistline LOVES them, heh.

Like Grandma's Chix n Dumplings

Makes 4 to 6 servings

2 cups cooked chicken (I cubed three chix breasts & seasoned w/ salt & pepper)

1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup undiluted

1 can condensed cream of chicken soup undiluted

2 soup cans water

4 tsp all purpose flour

2 tsp chicken bouillon granules

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (8 biscuits)

Mix all ingredients except biscuits in slow cooker

Cut biscuits into quarters and gently stir into mixture.  cover, cook on low 4-6 hours.

I had cooked up a batch of frozen peas & added a portion to each bowl when serving.  The peas just gave it an extra pop of flavor.  Next time I make this I'll cut baby carrots by length & some celery  then add to the crock just for some added flavor.

It is rather surprising how well the biscuits turn out.  

I never buy biscuit mix.  There is so little for ingredients they are easy to make homemade.  Other night made biscuits that tasted just like the ones from Red Lobster.  Talk about a yummy family favorite.

It is REALLY YUMMY........but still highly recommend adding peas, just something about the flavor of them that sets off the entire dish.

Now I'm hungry for chix & dumplings.  Looks like maybe Tuesday it will be on the menu.  This year I am determined to make turkey tetrazzini with leftovers.  Something never made before but is something we would enjoy eating & every year I say it is on the menu. 

36 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

I never buy biscuit mix.  There is so little for ingredients they are easy to make homemade.  Other night made biscuits that tasted just like the ones from Red Lobster.  Talk about a yummy family favorite.

I live alone. What do I do with the REST of that? I'll stick to the cup of biscuit mix with an egg and a bit of milk. Makes just about enough. I CAN make biscuits from scratch, but its too much

Noponies, totally get using the mix for smaller batches.  I used the ice cream scoop to ball the dough that way didn't have a huge number of biscuits just less number but bigger.

21 minutes ago, jubal said:

It's obvious neither of you has high blood pressure. There must be a gazillion mg of sodium in that recipe!

Don't like bullion or canned soups. Not a problem here. 114/68 this morning.

I buy the frozen Pillsbury Grands and bake a couple at a time. I try not to eat biscuits but have a biscuit eater here. He loves them and are more like homemade.

Can biscuit mix be frozen?  

Mix up the dough, cook what you want and use an ice cream or cookie dough scoop to put them on a baking sheet to freeze and then put in ziplock bags to keep in the freezer until you next want to make a couple biscuits?

Wonder if freezing the dough would affect the baking powder?  Would they still turn out?

Hmmm...something worth looking up with Google.  However did we all survive with out the internet & google growing up???  From needing help with homework, looking up on how to make something or plan a vacation.  

I would think the frozen biscuits available commercially have all kinds of preservatives. I know the frozen dinners do.

The best way to have biscuits on hand and healthiest is to make a large batch of homemade. Bake them and then freeze in small portions.

Better yet just cut the recipe in half for smaller batch.  Then again sometimes that doesn't always turn out either.

Like when I make a double batch of cookies I no longer double up the ingredients.  I'll just make another whole batch of batter as they seem to turn out way better.

The boys got to use the new truck today.  Talk about big smiles.

I just might get my CDL so I can drive The plow.  Momma is feeling a little left out with the equipment.

IMG_20181119_092917.jpg

IMG_20181119_092926.jpg

RRW, love the big red truck. Looks like fun to drive. You should get you CDL. Why should the men get all the big toys!

Problem is if got CDL then I'd have to do it.  

So to make myself feel better I did some shopping during ladies night downtown.

Went to friends antique shop came out with a Waterford Crystal pendant the went back for a broach to go with the fun fur vest.  Oh & did a little damage at jeweler Bob's with a pair of earnings.IMG_20181119_185505.thumb.jpg.fef82d0ebe9c801fd033697ec38806ac.jpgIMG_20181119_200123.thumb.jpg.c29170d5f8caae163594261c951e8007.jpg