You can ask someone you know who has land to bury it there. Or, instead of burying it, contact your county government to see if they have large dead animal pickup. Our county, which is rural, does and it is free.

Wouldn't have a clue as to who you'd call.  There used to be renders not sure if you can find one any more.

Sounds like you had a really fun day with your family. We drive 2.5 hrs all the time to go do something special then work.  Yes it really sucks but if you don't a person misses out on stuff in life.

4 minutes ago, RailroadWoman said:

Wouldn't have a clue as to who you'd call.  There used to be renders not sure if you can find one any more.

Sounds like you had a really fun day with your family. We drive 2.5 hrs all the time to go do something special then work.  Yes it really sucks but if you don't a person misses out on stuff in life.

Id drive 12 hours to spend time with my brother and his family honestly. I dont want to miss a moment ;-)

I think there are different laws in different states,  but here in WI. they encourage a person to call a rendering company to dispose of a ded animal, that can cost into the hundreds of dollars.  But rendering companies won't take horses that  Have been put down by a vet. they have to be shot or die on their own. PD

Has to do with the chemical in the body.

Remember once reading a study that was done about composting your dead livestock & how is was the better way of dealing with the animal.  Of course the study was done in the south were decomposition would be a faster process.  Up in our area is is a very slow process because we don't get the higher temps.

QB I like to call those trips "Turn & Burn"  They poop you out really fast but sure enjoy the day you get to have with friends or family.

Yes, the chemical used to put the horse down runs through the whole bloodstream, and anything that eats the horse dies too.

2 hours ago, noponies said:

Yes, the chemical used to put the horse down runs through the whole bloodstream, and anything that eats the horse dies too.

Interesting...I never thought about that.

So heres the situation...'ol Mr. Butters isnt fairing so well weight wise. Back in October I began graining him and Sonic for the winter. I put them on Fibregized Omega after having seen what miracles it had done for a friends rescue horses. At that time Mr. Butters was a bit thin but nothing a good grain couldn't fix. I added soaked beet pulp and alfalfa pellets as well. He had been happily eating his grain every evening until last week when it seemed as though he decided he didnt like alfalfa anymore. He ate the fibregized omega fine, but then would just push the alfalfa around. And, instead of gaining weight, hes lost a considerable amount of weight. Hes been dewormed. He is blanketed. The vet is coming on the 28th to check his teeth and examine him. Im hoping its just a dental issue but in reality he IS 25ish. He's eating everything again just fine now and Ive started top dressing with weight gainer. I'll see what the vet thinks but in the back of my mind Ive decided to give the old guy til the middle of February to make a turn around. I brought it up to my landlord who (unbeknownst to me at the time) was not in a good mood that day and told me that he wasnt burying anymore horses, to take him back to where I got him (along with several others) and shoot him. Eh, ok. I may actually take him back to where I got him (if I cant find an alternative) but Id rather not shoot the fella. He deserves a quick painless end.

Alfalfa is high in calcium and can cause calcium stones in the gut that cause  a blockage in some horses. He may be a very smart old horse. And 25 isn't really all that old, with horses being useful well into their 30's with care.

Done properly, shooting is even quicker than the blue juice, instantaneous, in fact. Just like flipping a switch.

Edited by noponies

28 minutes ago, noponies said:

Alfalfa is high in calcium and can cause calcium stones in the gut that cause  a blockage in some horses. He may be a very smart old horse. And 25 isn't really all that old, with horses being useful well into their 30's with care.

Done properly, shooting is even quicker than the blue juice, instantaneous, in fact. Just like flipping a switch.

The vet recommended the alfalfa years ago when I got him. Hes always been kind of a hard keeper. I don't think hes had the best life prior to me. Hoping it's just a dental issue. Hes pretty spry for an ol fella.

Alfalfa is easy to digest and is the basis of most senior feeds. I fed my old guy alfalfa cubes and he did well on them. I'd say probably a dental thing too. Has he been wormed regularly? Also, could be Cushings.

True, it works well for most horses as long as you don't load up on other high calcium feeds. But, now and then that calcium thing kills one...

48 minutes ago, jubal said:

Alfalfa is easy to digest and is the basis of most senior feeds. I fed my old guy alfalfa cubes and he did well on them. I'd say probably a dental thing too. Has he been wormed regularly? Also, could be Cushings.

Yes, he has been dewormed regularly. I have his teeth done around this time every year. The vet has had to pull a tooth for the past 2 years. Fingers crossed thats what it is and he'll spring right back. Hes been so good for the kids, but the kids are aware hes not in good shape right now. 

9 hours ago, noponies said:

True, it works well for most horses as long as you don't load up on other high calcium feeds. But, now and then that calcium thing kills one...

Right. I don't feed it because there's a lot of clover in my pasture.

RRW,   Now you started something, everybody is going to want a Odie, under their tree, just think how many disappointed people that will be crying their eyes out!!      Oh well I'm just tickled that  Odie is loved  & neat looking dog.  Also you take great pictures. Best Wishes. PD

I don't have snow but there's a large pond next door with Canada Geese to chase.

I don't have a Christmas tree either. That's a long story.

11 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

PD, got to ask.  What are you cooking for the main dish?

RRW,   Don't know yet, someone suggested ham,  as it goes ove good with most people, & left oves are always good to keep or send home with other members of family. We are having Christmas, later, so I have time yet. My wife used to have a corning ware container, one my daughters must have taken it, is so I know it is getting used, & that is good.  PD

Edited by Proud Dad