Jubal the weather is supposed to be nice.  Really hope hubby & son don't go crazy picking shells.  Still have a pile from vaca 3yrs ago haven't done anything with.

I had put a bunch in a wine glass then put a bigger one on top with point up to work as a lid.  Also have one conch shell left to clean.

Haven't checked this out for a couple days, now I find myself way behind.  But RRW your pictures are again. But wondered how much coaching you have to do to get Shortman to pose like he does, or is he just a natural?  Again between you & Shortman you both do an awesome job. PD

PD just have to yell him yo strike a pose.  Lately it has been the arm arrow stance.  I've no idea where it came from but apparently it must be cool.  Usually its a gangsterish pose.  I just say it's a 8yr old boy thing.  Once in a while he has to be directed.

11 hours ago, jubal said:

I remember when my old guy had lost some weight, the vet said to put corn oil on his feed to fatten him up. I don't remember measurements but you could google it.

He is getting Rice Bran Oil

11 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

He is eating the leafy portion of the plant. What a stinker but then again the old guys earned the right to be picky.

Yes! I almost wonder if I should just squeeze all the leafy parts into a bucket for him and leave the stems to his choosing. Spoiled ol man lol

11 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Oh there are still circuses traveling but not the same grand scale as Ringling Bros.

Used to be a couple that would come here but havent seen them in yeeears.

PD I know you like garden pics

Jubal no big birds. Sorry.

OK managed to walk the beach for a bit this morning.  Boy do my feet feel great, sure could use a few more days of surf walking.

That was it for our adventure today as we have a 3hr drive to Ft Lauderdale.  However you never know what we might find.

IMG_20190103_093646.jpg

IMG_20190103_081558.jpg

IMG_20190103_080750.jpg

IMG_20190103_080744.jpg

IMG_20190103_081612.jpg

RRW, I do like garden pictures, makes me want to plant something in the ground, but the weatherman keeps telling me to put my pick axe away, & wait for the ground to thaw,  What a spoil sport he is.  

QB, I have an old mare that will get down on weight, if I don't supplement her,  so far it is just extra grain, I always soak it in hot water, plus I try to have fine grass legume hay for her.  But I'm sure down the road she will require more, she is 27  no longer sound, but she is a red head I can mess with every day. A great conversation piece.   Take Care PD

One fun thing at the beach down here is to look for little coquinas.  They are tiny shelled animals that wiggle back into the sand after the wave flows out.  Feels weird on your feet.  We scoop up a handful of sand and coquinas for a closer look.  Doublecheck all your shells.  It's illegal to collect anything with a living creature inside.  The hermit crabs are the ones you really have to watch for.  Also, you see awesome creatures if you go out during low tide.  They will make their way back into the water, or get snatched up by a hungry bird.  We like to stay in the cottages when we go to Sanibel.  There is one that allows you to bring your dog.  That is the best!  We can"t wait to take our Chessie.  He has been for day trips to the beach and he is so much fun!

And please don't forget the J. N. Ding Darling park!  Silly name, but lots of fun.  They have a good visitors center, but the driving tour is where you see the most wildlife.  Watch for manatees and otters on your right as you pass the little pier.  The inlet is a nice spot for them.  There are a few side trails to stop for.  Drive through early in the morning or before sunset to see the most animals.  I just realized it's federal.  I hope it opens while you are there.

https://www.fws.gov/dingdarling/About/about.html

Edited by little cow

little coquinas.

Ah, "bean clams". They do make a lovely broth for chowder, If you are patient enough to collect enough of them.

Sadly we were on the beach for maybe an hour. Shortman only picks up the small half shells.  I always check to make sure we are not moving someone from home.  That park sounds fantastic.  Just wish we could have stayed longer on the island.

Today we ride the speed train.

Mercy. I was up til 11pm feeding Mr. Butters. I might talk to my cowgirl and see if she will feed him his hay when she gets home from school. That would help me out a ton on my work days.

I feel for those that don't have critters of any kind to do for, it gives us a reason to get out of bed in the AM.

48 minutes ago, Proud Dad said:

I feel for those that don't have critters of any kind to do for, it gives us a reason to get out of bed in the AM.

So does BREAKFAST! French toast with fried apple this morning.

1 minute ago, noponies said:

So does BREAKFAST! French toast with fried apple this morning.

Yes I agree that Breakfast does get me out of bed, right after I feed horses,  cats & put wood in my out door boiler.

2 hours ago, jubal said:

^^^It's insane what we do for horses!

Truer words have never been spoken! Fed Sonic and Butters their grain and ate my dinner in my car while waiting for them to finish. Turned Sonic back out and gave Butters his hay that I had separated stalk from leafy..leafy went into a fed tub for him. He was pleased. Went home to put away dishes and sweep floors and let Benny run around for an hour and a half. Then back to the farm to turn Butters back out. Then home to bed where Benny chewed on her bone all night after hitting me in the face with it. Lord, I love my animals though.

I think I will talk to Zarinna this weekend about haying Butters. It would help a lot if she could hay him after school when she gets the feed ready just on the days I work. She likes to know when my days off are anyway because we usually do something fun. I think Ill hang a calendar in the feed room with my work schedule on it so she'll know what days to hay him.  

Oh, and the free 52 Tbs have resurfaced on Facebook...again! Ugh!

Edited by QueenBAW

I loved the pics of the Ringling Bros Circus display, I can't imagine how long it took that man to create.  I'm sad they are no longer around - their shows were on such a grand scale, I fear they'll never be matched.  I'm also sad for their circus animals because they had a fantastic life.  Now with this circus gone, there are that many more exotics that won't have such great care and the stimulation of travel and performance.

Today's adventure takes you on the Brightine the fastest passenger train in the US.  The train will take you to sunny Miami for a few hours to take a bus tour & lunch.

IMG_20190104_092015.jpg

IMG_20190104_092131.jpg

IMG_20190104_110040.jpg

IMG_20190104_110749.jpg

IMG_20190104_111239.jpg

IMG_20190104_111604.jpg

IMG_20190104_111552.jpg

IMG_20190104_123928.jpg

What is that overhead on the train on the right side of the photo? How fast does it go? I 'm glad to see there is sunshine somewhere.

Jubal if second PiC that isthe overhead luggage rack.  The fastest we went was 80 but that was because we were in residential apparently the max is 130 in non residential.  They are working on getting the train into Orlando.  It was a really nice ride & would def do again.

Sorry no big adventure today.  We visited the Gold Coast RR museum.  It was a beautiful day & it was free family entry day.  So there were a lot of people.  They also had short train rides & we rode in the caboose, there was a small train with rides.  Had only used 1 of the three tickets we bought, so we gave them to a family.  Hubby & Shortman rode a second on the train but in the locomotive.  I didn't want to go so as I wandered around I offered to take pics for families with their cameras.  There is always someone missing in vaca pics.  What is funny is how shocked people are when someone just st walks up to offer. 

So here are some pics for you.

Oh & they have an adopt a project program.

IMG_20190105_112517.jpg

IMG_20190105_121517.jpg

IMG_20190105_124411.jpg

IMG_20190105_120838.jpg

Can always post sunny day pics when get home.  There are a number of interesting sights in NW Wis.  Otherwise there is no lack of critter pictures.

Will have to say it is time to go home.  We have eaten way more food than usual & Shortman is developing an evil attitude.

RRW,  Last couple days it has been seasonally warm here up north,  no doubt there will be a cold front come in to welcome you back. That is just Mother Nature's display of her sense of humor.  At least you had warm weather in Florida. Have a safe trip home. PD

PD we've been looking at the projected forecast at home.  There are only a couple days this month calling for single digit high.  Gladly take upper teens low twenties in January.

Will miss the sun but not the humidity. We have been really lucky with the southern weather this trip. Not sure where next Christmas will take us.  Joked with hubby that we've never been to IKEA.  So we should fly to Sweden.