Today was our last day of sun.  So we spent some time at the beach.  Shortman got to enjoy the waves.  If you ask him he will tell you ocean surf is a great place to meditate

IMG_20190106_103527.jpg

IMG_20190106_103516.jpg

Glad you had fun.  Sorry you couldn't make it up a little more north.  

Libby is enjoying her retirement and Freckles is progressing well, so I'm looking for my own horse.  There is a Paso Fino farm I'm going to check out this week.  They breed them, as well as rescue.  Hoping for a good experience. 

Saw two horses last week.  I knew it sounded like a flipper, but it was rundown and pitiful.  Way too many animals.  Not neglectful, but borderline bad conditions.  The first horse was a 10 year old blue roan QH.  She had an attitude right off.  After picking her feet out, I guessed navicular.  Sure enough, she was a bear about picking up her hinds and had a very choppy gait when the owner rode her.  I passed on her without riding.  The second was a beat up 15 year old flea bitten grey.  She was a cracker horse or a TWH, with possible DSLD.  She was gaited, but off.  I passed.  Honestly, I think the seller was clueless.  

RRW,   Glad your trip has gone well, & it is good you got to spend some down time at the beach, temps are getting colder, maybe not as cold as last year at this time, but it 45 yesterday & 38 today, but wind has been howling all day so felt cooler.  Have a safe trip back.

LC, Good luck with horse shopping, it seems when looking, you'll find people will try to pull a fast one if they can. But I'm sure the right one will come along, & you'll have your horse to ride.  Take your time, & enjoy the search.  Take Care & Best Wishes.  PD

LC would have really enjoyed paying you a visit.  Getting to the point on these trips I am along for the ride.  We found a botanical garden that would have been nice to see but it would have been a pain in the donkey rear taking him & Shortman.  There is a lot of driving & ride ding involved on these trips.  Suggested a vaca at a resort right on the beach for a good 4 day stay next year but not getting a favorable response.

Good luck with the horse hunt.  You'll find the right one.  As for the dive farms you can't always count them out as that just might be where you find that diamond.

PD no matter what the weather is it is time to go home.

RRW, you may need a solo vacation to recover from the Christmas vacation. You could come here--nowhere quieter this time of year.

Jubal you are in KY?  If so April is nice to visit then.  Was down that way many moons ago in spring & found it beautiful.

Well the plane landed & we didn't have to put the coats on.  Got sweat shirt/sweater temp.  I can live with it.

Yes, I'm in KY and April is usually nice. But lately, you can't count on anything, weatherwise. It's supposed to go to 60 today but looks like rain later.

, I got my first seed catalog in the mail, so I feel like spring is going to come this year after all.  But don't plant much, so I don't know how I got on their mailing list. 

jubal it is currently 38 degrees here, I'm 80 miles south of RRW, so it might be 36 there,  it is cloudy here, but well above normal for this time of year. We usually have 6-8 inches of snow on the ground, but we have crust of ice, instead, from rain & melting snow, our only snow fall of about 3 inche is practically gone,.  Notice my horses have been walking very carefully on the ice, my older gelding has shoes on the front, & he's walking very careful, kind of like having ice skates on. At 22 he's smart enough to be careful,. that impresses me.

Yup it is 37 & best way to tell were home is no sunshine.  There wasn't snow when we left so thisust be what they got early last week.

Here is a pic of the sunshine if you can find it.

IMG_20190107_121543.jpg

I was taking a flowerpot off my deck ( only 3 months late) and saw a jonquil that's up about 3 inches. And now the temp is 60. Crazy!

There is only hope of flowers in the next 4 months, that can sound depressing if think aboutb it, but there is hope of green grass in at the same time. 

RRW Nice picture of winter in WI.  except snow banks could be 6'-8 ' high, instead of bare existing.

Weather is fine coming home to but now have a George mess to fix at the depot from his anxiety issues.  Haven't gotten to the motel yetvto see what happend there.

It is a pain in the rump to go on vaca when you have critters.

RRW,, Welcome back home, glad you enjoyed your get away,   Now life back in the fast lane again . Take Care & Best Wishes.  PD

First off I'd like to make it clear that I wanted to put the dogs in the kennel.

As usual hubby had one of our staffers critter sit.  George can show signs of separation anxiety. At the depot one care was destroyed in the lobby, trim around four doors chewed badly not to mention window trim.

Now at the motel the front lobby window trim was chewed down to the drywall & added damage to the window casing from the last trip..  What is odd about George is he doesn't always destroy.  Sadly if it continues or gets worse as he ages it just may be the end of having a George.

So this afternoon will be cleanup day.  Hubby will have to get some cheap trim on a supply run.

Needless to say George will be the last George we ever have.  No more herding breeds, only half labs.

Sorry to hear about the George damage.  We have started to try using CBD oil treats for our dog who has general anxiety - he's afraid of the wind many days...  We got Treatibles which is CBD oil in treat form, rather than drops, and it seems to be helping him to be more relaxed.  We are not using it every day, just on days when his anxiety might be up - like windy days!  The research so far says it's a good option for dogs with all kinds of anxiety - separation included.  You may want to look into it for future use. 

But your vacation looked awesome - warmth, sun and sand!

Magic thanks for the tip.  The separation damage is random.  He does have issues with fireworks but that has now escilated to loud booming on tv or randome other booming noises outside.

It is slowly getting worse as he gets older.

Saturday my brother and I went to Wv to visit an aunt. Her husband passed away a couple months ago and we werent able to attend the funeral. We showed up unannounced with flowers for the gravesite, and flowers for her. We spent a couple hours with her and she was soo tickled, it really made her day. We both haven't been over in years and forgot just how backwoods it is over there, but how just incredibly beautiful it is too. While we were there I learned that my grandma rented the house they lived in. All these years I thought it was HER house, I never wouldve guessed she rented it. That house is so full of memories but sits empty these days. Sad really.

Mr. Butters is driving me nuts over the hay. Hes only after the leafy bits. He wont eat much of the stalky part. This morning I tossed him 3 flakes and came back 2.5 hours later and he was ready to be turned back out, and had left at least a whole flake of stalk. I gave what was left over to Sonic who cleans it right up. Its driving me nuts and Im almost wondering if its even worth feeding to Mr. Butters. I think the next bale I buy will be one of those compressed bales from Tractor Supply. I found a chart on how to feed it. Maybe it will be better than these bales and he'll actually eat it...I hope.

QB it was really nice of you & your brother to make the trip for a visit.  I always thought going after the funeral rather then to the funeral is a better way to show love & support.  Can only imagine how lonely a spouse is without their loved one.

Oh Mr Butters.........

Queen, it may just be easier for him to chew the leafy part of the hay. You could try giving him only the coarser stuff for a few days and see if he will finally start to eat it. Or you could get alfalfa pellets and soak them. If he's eating grass, he's getting roughage.

It was good of you all to visit your aunt.

14 minutes ago, jubal said:

Queen, it may just be easier for him to chew the leafy part of the hay. You could try giving him only the coarser stuff for a few days and see if he will finally start to eat it. Or you could get alfalfa pellets and soak them. If he's eating grass, he's getting roughage.

It was good of you all to visit your aunt.

Hes already getting soaked alfalfa pellets.

QB,  My aged mare likes will chew stemy hay, but never finishes it, she likes a fine grass hay or second cutting of mixed grass clover & alfalfa.  I try to make sure she gets something extra at least once a day, & that is in the AM, when she often in boxstall where she can't be bothered.  Good that you could go reconnect with your aunt today, I know from experience, that means alot.   Best Wishes.  PD

QB, grab a handful of the hay stems that Butters leaves behind.  How does it feel in your hand?  However it feels is how it will feel in his mouth.  Is it stiff?  Crackle-y?  Poke-y?  Can you bend the stalks?  Can you easily bend and manipulate the stalks in only one hand?  When you bend the stalks, do they really bend or do they snap or break?
My old guy didn't like eating the stiff stems, it was too uncomfortable to chew with his teeth that had been worn down below the gumline.  He preferred a more flexible hay, one he could easily move around in his mouth without poking or jabbing himself.

I'm glad you and your brother were able to reconnect with your Aunt and it sounds like she appreciated the visit.  Reading about it put a huge smile on my face.  

So, I'm re-doing the Master Bath.  
When we bought the house, it had a deep jetted tub.  After a day of moving boxes and furniture, Husband decided to enjoy a relaxing soak.  We filled it up, he got in and turned on the jets.  Then I started screaming at him to GET UP! GET OUT! GET OUT! OUT! OUT! OUT! when black .... *stuff* .... came shooting out of the jet ports.  I ran bleach through it but I never trusted it and refused to even use it.  This past Spring, I bought a new tub (deep, no jets!) and we are getting ready to install it.  This weekend I plan on spraying insulating foam on the outside, bottom 2/3rds of the tub sides.  I'll use a batt of fiberglass insulation for the bottom, between the support pieces of lumber.

First coat of new wall color with Pretty (age 15 or 16) and Bruce in motion, jumping up behind her.
No photo description available.

First coat on the left wall and old color:

Darker color is still drying:

I like your color choice.  Enjoy your new soaker tub once you get it all done.

Shampooing carpet & deep cleaning bathrooms today.  Time of the year to dig deep but we are good about keeping up with the rooms so it isn't to much of a scrubbing.  Just feel better knowing it is done.

I like your paint choice , Heidi. You're very fortunate to have a "contractor" in the family. I also like your tile and it's very close to the tile I'm having installed. Are those cat decals I see on the door and window?

I'm in the process of bathroom renovation too. It wasn't planned. Back in Sept., a friend from RI was visiting and she flushed the toilet before coming down to breakfast.  Two hours later, we found the toilet had malfunctioned and had run water on the floor for two hours. It came through the ceiling and into the downstairs bathroom and it too was flooded. That kinda messed up her visit. Our other old friend who lives here, became the entertainment committee while I dealt with insurance and looked for repair people. They"re hard to find out here in the boonies.

Both bathrooms had new ceilings, walls painted and new floors. We were on the floor in the downstairs bath as the last repair, when the crew found mold. It was in half the floor and under the Jacuzzi which probably had a slow leak for  a long time. The only way to remediate it was remove the tub and it had to be cut in two to get it out. I never used it anyway, so it's being replaced with a walk-in shower. Then the room will have to be painted (again!) and refloored. The shower is being put in now and will be finished by Fri. I think. It's been a long process and one I never want to repeat. One reason I bought this house was because it needed nothing.

Jubal, doesn't matter where you live its a pain to find a good contractor.  Known people who make appointment to get a quote & they never show up. Or the hire only to find they do crappy work.

Enjoy your new bayg once it is done & should find it nice to have a big walk in shower.

Heidi I'm going to pick up a compressed bale from Tractor Supply this evening and see if he likes that better. If not, I'm not sure what else to do but let him eat what he wants and leave the rest. The rest isn't going to waste though, I throw it over the fence for the minis or other 2 horses to eat. Do you think soaking the hay would help? Does it loose nutrients when soaked?

I'm back on the fence again about buying a house. Id like to buy a little home for myself. My own space where I can do what I want to it etc.

Edited by QueenBAW

QB there are many pro & cons of renting vs owning.  We rented for about 14yrs then ended up buying the property.  There is a nice notion that is something major needs fixing you call on the landlord rather then fixing yourself.  When we rented we treated the place like it was our own & did repairs that we could.  Only reason we did this was we really enjoyed the property & the rent was really low for what we had.

You'll figure out what you want to do.