20 hours ago, jubal said:

Are those cat decals I see on the door and window?

LOL  The one on the door is a decal.  My friend is staying in our garage apartment and she came in early the morning of my birthday and put it on my door.  It really surprised me!  The one in the window is stained glass, made and sold to support the artist's efforts at TNR (trap, neuter, return) and long-term care of feral colonies.  I have a cat from one of her feral colonies - he was a dumped pet, starving and not knowing how to care for himself in the wild.  It has a tipped ear, the universal sign of a spayed/neutered feral cat.

I'm so sorry for your bathroom woes.  We had an upstairs leak that ran through the ceiling of our entryway and the wood floor directly under it a couple Springs ago.  It seemed to take forever for the repairs to be completed.  If you never used the tub I bet you'll enjoy the walk in shower much better.

QB, I don't know about soaked hay and how it would affect nutrition.  I just shared about my old guy who wouldn't eat very stiff hay that poked his mouth.  I'm glad it isn't being wasted but I bet you'd be happier if he cleaned up everything you were feeding him so you knew he was getting fed well.

8 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

LOL  The one on the door is a decal.  My friend is staying in our garage apartment and she came in early the morning of my birthday and put it on my door.  It really surprised me!  The one in the window is stained glass, made and sold to support the artist's efforts at TNR (trap, neuter, return) and long-term care of feral colonies.  I have a cat from one of her feral colonies - he was a dumped pet, starving and not knowing how to care for himself in the wild.  It has a tipped ear, the universal sign of a spayed/neutered feral cat.

I'm so sorry for your bathroom woes.  We had an upstairs leak that ran through the ceiling of our entryway and the wood floor directly under it a couple Springs ago.  It seemed to take forever for the repairs to be completed.  If you never used the tub I bet you'll enjoy the walk in shower much better.

QB, I don't know about soaked hay and how it would affect nutrition.  I just shared about my old guy who wouldn't eat very stiff hay that poked his mouth.  I'm glad it isn't being wasted but I bet you'd be happier if he cleaned up everything you were feeding him so you knew he was getting fed well.

I remember when that happened, Heidi. I tried really hard to dry out the hardwood just outside the downstairs bathroom. I kept the dehumidifier next to it for weeks while waiting for the flooring guy to come and work on it. I ended up only having to replace a few boards.

With the downstairs shower, I'll probably never see the upstairs again!  It will just be where I keep all that stuff I saved and will never use again!  And my books, of course.

17 hours ago, jubal said:

Here's an article about soaking hay. Basically it lowers sugar content which would lower its ability to put weight  on the horse.

https://ker.com/equinews/soaking-changes-nutrient-content-hay/

Yes, that's what I thought! But now that Ive bought a compressed bale last night, I'm reading up on it today and kicking myself for buying it before researching it. I recently saw a printout about the compressed bale that basically said that once you open the bale and let it "air out", you get 22 flakes....which would/should last longer than the typical square bales. Now that I'm reading up on it on another forum people are saying that they cant get a bale to last more than 5 days tops. At $18 a bale, that's not going to work for me. AND theyre also saying its best to soak it! Doesn't that defeat my purpose? Not to mention that I have no idea how I would manage that time wise on my work days.

My work days are 7am to 7pm. I have an hour commute. My cowgirl lately has been unreliable with soaking my beet pulp and alfalfa pellets. I let her be a kid for the holidays and then she was sick last week. Honestly I'm getting a vibe from her mom that her mom doesn't like her doing so much for me. Sooo, I now have the beet pulp and alfalfa in my car in their separate buckets along with a separate gallon of water. When I leave from work I empty half the gallon of water into each bucket and it soaks on my commute home. Its perfect by the time I get home and then ready to feed. I have no idea how Id soak hay unless I put it in a big tote container in my car and add water on my lunch break. Crazy right? Of course my days off are much different.  Advice anyone? Take the compressed bale back and stick with regular bales? Go cubes instead of hay? Uuuuuugh, I'm loosing my mind. Yes I'm curious to see if Mr. Butters likes the compressed bale better but if its not going to last any longer than my regular bales then I'm just going to have to deal with him wasting some.

Edited by QueenBAW

Actually, I deon't understand why the vet told you to feed alfalfa hay as well as the pellets he's already getting. If he didn't have enough fiber, I could understand, but he's on pasture, which should give him enough. Is he not eating grass?  Could you maybe call the vet and ask him? It would be a lot easier to just give him more pellets. It's also possible you are soaking the pellets too long and he's not getting enough calories because of that. Also, I seem to remember if you wet cubes, they soften  up really fast. That might be easier still.

Edited by jubal

I would go cubes and forget the pellets. The pellets haven't that much nutrition left after all the processing.

30 minutes ago, jubal said:

Actually, I deon't understand why the vet told you to feed alfalfa hay as well as the pellets he's already getting. If he didn't have enough fiber, I could understand, but he's on pasture, which should give him enough. Is he not eating grass?  Could you maybe call the vet and ask him? It would be a lot easier to just give him more pellets. It's also possible you are soaking the pellets too long and he's not getting enough calories because of that. Also, I seem to remember if you wet cubes, they soften  up really fast. That might be easier still.

Doesn't matter how long. Everything is still there as long as you don't pour off the water.

49 minutes ago, jubal said:

There is very little to no grass right now. 

21 minutes ago, noponies said:

I would go cubes and forget the pellets. The pellets haven't that much nutrition left after all the processing.

Im starting to feel that way too about the cubes!

So I opened the compressed bale a little while ago. I learned today that I shouldve opened it yesterday so it could get air and expand, you learn something every day. Anyway, right off the bat this hay is pretty..nice and green, leafy and soft. I counted 14 flakes, albeit compressed flakes. I could see those doubling as the bale expands in the next day or so. Still not totally convinced that the bale is cost effective...but we'll see as the bale expands. I will say that it's much more manageable than a regular square and maybe part of the high price is the cost of convenience. The true test is underway right now as I have given Mr. Butters a flake for the night. We'll see how much he doesnt eat.

QB, if your horse isn't finishing his hay, he may be full. At one time I had 5 horses stalled and I filled haynets every night for them. After grain in the evening, they were not hungry enough to finish the hay. I would quit worrying about him. You are taking good care of him and he will slowly gain weight.

8 minutes ago, Danyel said:

QB, if your horse isn't finishing his hay, he may be full. At one time I had 5 horses stalled and I filled haynets every night for them. After grain in the evening, they were not hungry enough to finish the hay. I would quit worrying about him. You are taking good care of him and he will slowly gain weight.

Thank you! I would love to think hes full. Im going to pull his blanket off tomorrow and see if I notice any weight gain.

He did leave a small amount of stalk tonight. Not a lot, but more than Id like. Ill give it to Sonic so it won't go to waste. I definitely think the compressed bales are better quality than any regular square around here. Easier to manage too. Ill see how long this one lasts.

Okay, who sent this snow?! ! Fortunately, you didn't send enough to keep me home. I'm going to the grocery for French Toast supplies.

2 hours ago, jubal said:

Okay, who sent this snow?! ! Fortunately, you didn't send enough to keep me home. I'm going to the grocery for French Toast supplies.

The white stuff is falling here too. 

8 minutes ago, QueenBAW said:

The white stuff is falling here too. 

I have so much I thought I would share.....

So, although still thin, Mr. Butters doesn't look as ribby. He still has a long way to go. Today I Iearned that no matter how long you leave him with a flake of hay, he will still leave about 1/3 of stalk. He does really like this compressed hay though...they all do. Gave Sonic and Whitewash a flake and they thought they were in heaven.

Oh that good Mr Butters is buttering up.  Keep up with what works for him & you.

Can someone please send me a little motivation.  Having a really hard time finding any of it on my own right now.  Course doesn't help that haven't seen the sun since we left FL.

Ive got bad news guys. Ive been up all night with Mr. Butters. I'm contacting a friend today to see if her husband will come lay him to rest. I get choked up thinking about it. I trust that he can do it with one shot. Mr. Butters came in last night for his dinner, just like every day/night. I left him with his grain and his nice hay, and went home to eat dinner. He was eating fine when I left. I gave him ample time to eat his hay. When I went back to turn him back out, he was down. He hadn't finished his grain which isn't like him....and he'd eaten about half of his hay. I listened to his belly, there were plenty of gut sounds. I got him up and listened again, still sounded good. He was slow to get up, almost as if he didn't have the strength. I turned him back out where he immediately went into the barn and got himself cast against the wall. I had a time getting him uncast and back up. He again seemed weak. Didn't seem to be in pain, no pointing or nipping at his sides, no sweating. He waited for me to get out of his way, moved to a better area, and went down again. I let him lay there and watched him..no thrashing, just down. Got him back up but it took a while, he just didn't have the energy. Walked him and he seemed unsteady the first few strides and just overall meek. That went on most of the night. This morning he was down in the barn but popped right up when he saw me, even came to the gate to be fed, but still seems weak. I don't have a good feeling. Ive asked my cowgirls mom to keep her away from the barn for a few days. I'm working today and tomorrow. This morning was an improvement from last night, but if he doesn't improve then I'm going to have to....well, you know.

Queen, he may have just had a bellyache. My vet told me there was no need to get them up or make them walk unless they were rolling violently or thrashing. Fingers crossed for the old guy. Also, it may be he's just not used to the extra feed.

3 minutes ago, jubal said:

Queen, he may have just had a bellyache. My vet told me there was no need to get them up or make them walk unless they were rolling violently or thrashing. Fingers crossed for the old guy. Also, it may be he's just not used to the extra feed.

Hoping it was just a bellyache and he'll spring back. Hes been getting the same amount of feed for months but I think Ill cut it in half tonight. Fingers crossed.

I put my horses in a hour ago for breakfast, my gelding was standing by a round bale,  & just kept walking around it, everything is a sheet of ice, he needed some encouragement to walk across it, to come inside, my old mare that has a bad hip, had to take the lead for a change. Got to figure out something, as I don't need any broken bones from falling on ice.

2 minutes ago, jubal said:

PD, if you make a path from used stall bedding (with manure in it,) it keeps things from freezing or at least gives them footing on the ice.

I've done a bit of that in places,  farrier was here yesterday, & said he boiught  a bunch of lime, & put on the ice. which  probably, would  add some grit to the ice.  Might keep them in today until I do something about ice.

36 minutes ago, Proud Dad said:

I've done a bit of that in places,  farrier was here yesterday, & said he boiught  a bunch of lime, & put on the ice. which  probably, would  add some grit to the ice.  Might keep them in today until I do something about ice.

I have often spread the compost pile over icy ground. It works wonders. So does a big bag of cheap kitty litter.

2 hours ago, QueenBAW said:

Hoping it was just a bellyache and he'll spring back. Hes been getting the same amount of feed for months but I think Ill cut it in half tonight. Fingers crossed.

Are you certain he didn't have a choke going on? Horses who can't chew well often choke on food you wouldn't think could be a problem.

14 minutes ago, noponies said:

Are you certain he didn't have a choke going on? Horses who can't chew well often choke on food you wouldn't think could be a problem.

Didnt seem to be choke, no signs or symptoms. His grain is soaked to help with chewing.

Ill bet when I get home this evening he'll come to the gate for dinner like nothing ever happened. Lets hope anyway.