6 hours ago, Heidi n Q said:

I'll check in this evening to see how you/he are doing.  *good thoughts for Mr. Butters*

This horse is gonna be the death of me, or a mental breakdown. 

Good news! Hes up tonight, met me at the gate for dinner and even tried to plow through me at the gate. Hes his ol self. He ate his dinner (I fed him light tonight) and was working on his hay when I left. Ill go back down to turn him back out in about a half hour. Ill update again after that.

Just put him back out. He was still up and munching a few pieces of hay that was left over from last night. Hes his usual self tonight. Ill actually sleep tonight. Thanks for listening guys!

Dear HC Members,

The reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated.

Sincerely,

Mr. Butters

Here is a synopses of what critterS make us do sometimes:

:bang_head: 

:shocked:

:o

:thud:

:twitch:

:confused0024:

What they make us do  best...........:crazy:........drive us to CRAZY TOWN ON A ONE WAY BUS!!!!!

Between him and the hay someone is going to find me in a corner rocking back and forth!

Meanwhile at work, I just wheeled a little old lady into say her goodbyes to her husband. Hes a patient of mine expected to expire in a day or so, and shes a patient on the other end of the hall. I would feel terrible if he expired without her seeing him one last time. So today, I have her camped out in his room, holding his hand and talking to him although he can't respond. Originally I had 6 patients to care for today, I dont mind one more.

Edited by QueenBAW

Good for you, Queen.

About the hay, I'd forget it and just feed more pellets or cubes. Pellets are supposed to be easier to chew and digest anyway. Here's another good article about seniors. Feed section is closer to the end.

2 hours ago, RailroadWoman said:

Here is a synopses of what critterS make us do sometimes:

:bang_head: 

:shocked:

:o

:thud:

:twitch:

:confused0024:

What they make us do  best...........:crazy:........drive us to CRAZY TOWN ON A ONE WAY BUS!!!!!

You forgot the crying part when they leave us......

I'm so glad he's doing better but sorry he scared you like that.
*hangs head in shame, I forgot to check in last night*

2 hours ago, jubal said:

Good for you, Queen.

About the hay, I'd forget it and just feed more pellets or cubes. Pellets are supposed to be easier to chew and digest anyway. Here's another good article about seniors. Feed section is closer to the end.

It takes a LOT of pellets to keep them full enough to avoid ulcers.  Cubes are good, if you have time to soak and feed them several times a day. Yes, ulcers again.

QB, when I worked nursing homes it affected me more to see the personal attachment of families with loved ones.  Otherwise I did fine & can't tell you how many people I told it was ok to pass on & that your family here would understand.  It is so hart warming to know the level of care & thought you give your people.  Don't see it very often anymore.

Guess who saved us a lot of cookie calories?  If you guessed Mr Odie you would have won a homemade cookie, however, that cookie had been consumed.

So this afternoon we made chocolate chip & peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.  They turned out really yummy & while they were cooling  on the counter someone decide he should eat them.

I hope Mr. Butters is toning down the drama a bit.  It's tough to see them not adjusting as they age.  I hope you find a solution that works soon.  Our old fellow, Andy, ate just wet senior feed towards the end.  It kept him in good weight and health for his last years.  His teeth weren't effective anymore, so he would chew the softest hay, but leave wads of it on the ground and have the runs.  We finally just switched to an all feed diet and he was happy for those last few years.  At the end, he was put down due to melanomas blocking his digestive system (grey horse curse).    

Edited by little cow

I hope the cookie thief isn't suffering any ill effects from his adventures.  

Still doing a horse search.  The Paso Finos I looked at were neat, but too forward for our son to ride.  Checking out a cute Mustang mare today.  

Mr. Butters is doing fine. He ate more of his hay last night than he ever has. With that said Im buying another compressed bale this evening.

Oh, and the landlord "apologized".

QB, good that Mr Butters has got his zest for food again.

Wish I could say someone didn't have so much zest for food in my household.  Never had a dog before that was a bad snitch.  Lest just say the cookies have really slowed Odie down.

He'll survive but will have a belly ache for a day or two.   For the size Odie is he would have to eat 496 grams of milk chocolate (about 11 chocolate bars) or 206 grams of dark chocolate for it to be deadly.   There is no where those amounts in mini morsells & not all cookies eaten.

I haven't posted here in a couple days & way behind.  Hope everybody is warm, & not bothered by any bad weather. Take Care PD

Edited by Proud Dad

We were expecting below freezing temps and all we got was a lot of rain yesterday and wind today.  I'm okay with that!

Gonna be 12 degrees tonight and windy. Thinking about doubling up on Mr. Butters blankets depending on how warm he is with just the one. Gonna be a high of 31 tomorrow. Ugh, ready for spring.

My new horse will come home Sunday.  She is a dun Mustang gathered off the range in Nevada.  She was pulled from a kill pen by a rescue and saddle trained.  Then, the lady I bought her from gave her a good education for several years.  She is a nice mare and very sweet.  LJ and I both rode her and she did great.  

We have a few military bases in our area and helicopters flying over regularly.  Sometimes range gathered Mustangs have a little helicopter PTSD.  We'll have to see if she reacts.  The previous owner doesn't know.  She might just need a little time to get used to them.  Pictures Sunday.

Edited by little cow

LC,  Your new horse sounds very nice, hope she works out well for you.  As for any possible problems from helicopters, if she feels comfortable in her new surroundings, OI think they would have little impact on her over time.   I wish you well with her.

Anybody get hit by snow over the weekend? our temps got cooler, but still like RRW said above normal. Our winter has been mild, for the most part, but next 7 to 10 days,  where temps are going to drop to 20 below, would be nice to have a bit more snow, on the ground to insulate it, from frost going to deep. Take Care All,  PD

Havent hit the daytime high of 31 yet today. Just spent a couple hours at the farm trying to figure out how I can rig a couple stalls in the barn...to no avail. I really need 4 corral panels and dang they're expensive. Ill look around the farm this evening and see if I can find a couple hanging around but I doubt it. My Benny dog got to run around like a crazy pup the whole time. Havent taken her to the farm in a while because of the mud..figured it would be ok today since everything is frozen. She had a good time, even took a short dip in the pond. I swear that dog never gets cold. Shes asleep on me now. Lost my knife somewhere at the farm and I spent a good long while retracing my steps to no avail. I do know it was closed though. Hopefully Ill find it this evening. Mr. Butters did well last night with his grain and his hay, didn't leave as much hay as usual. He seemed pretty happy last night, and he was plenty warm under his blanket so I didn't double up. 

1 hour ago, QueenBAW said:

Havent hit the daytime high of 31 yet today. Just spent a couple hours at the farm trying to figure out how I can rig a couple stalls in the barn...to no avail. I really need 4 corral panels and dang they're expensive. Ill look around the farm this evening and see if I can find a couple hanging around but I doubt it. My Benny dog got to run around like a crazy pup the whole time. Havent taken her to the farm in a while because of the mud..figured it would be ok today since everything is frozen. She had a good time, even took a short dip in the pond. I swear that dog never gets cold. Shes asleep on me now. Lost my knife somewhere at the farm and I spent a good long while retracing my steps to no avail. I do know it was closed though. Hopefully Ill find it this evening. Mr. Butters did well last night with his grain and his hay, didn't leave as much hay as usual. He seemed pretty happy last night, and he was plenty warm under his blanket so I didn't double up. 

If you have some posts for the corners. you can use cattle combination wire panels instead. They ARE 16 feet though. The combo panels have the narrower gaps at the bottom to keep those hooves safe. Run about $16-20 each.

LC sounds like you found a good match.  Can't wait to see pics when you get her home.  

QB have you tried looking on Craig's for used panel.  Here they come on sale on nce a year & run $75 on sale.

So today went shopping to get a big dog jail & have to go to the farm to find little dog jail.  George did a number  on the window & we were gone maybe 2hr.  Odie will be fine in the crate but George will be a different story.  He might prove me wrong.

I hope Mr. Butters is over his hard times.  

Ms. Mustang was very cute when I went to meet her.  It was unusually windy (we got only the cold air and wind from the big East Coast storm; no moisture) so she was looking around like she was worried about all the flapping and noise.  I went nose to nose with her and introduced myself.  Then, I told her that I was from out West, too, and we both know wind quite well.  :P  She relaxed after I walked her around a little.  The owner asked me to work her in the round pen a little before I got on.  She did some circles and turns for me.  She was fun to ride and the owner even had a mini obstacle course set up for us to play with.  She knows her stuff.  When she comes home, we'll do more round pen work.  I'll ride her in the round pen for awhile until she seems to trust me (and is comfy with the daily helicopters)   The owner mentioned that she reverts if you don't play with her often enough.  No problem there.  I haven't had a true trail buddy for a long time.  I was too busy to keep a horse in shape for regular trail rides, so I have had older rescue type horses the last ten years.  Libby had limitations, but she was perfect for the occasional short trail ride that I did have time for.  Now, I have the time and the right horse to hit the trails again.  

noponies - those are what I have but I dont have posts. 

Railroadwoman - I did look on Craigslist yesterday. Even if I found some I dont really have a way to transport them. I would have to wait til my brother could get them for me...and I know someone would snag them before I could. Im going to keep looking though.

littlecow - I doubled up his blankets tonight, its going to be 8 degrees. As I was changing blankets on him, I see no weight difference. He is plenty perky and is doing better with his hay.