Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redneckcowgirlmn

The view from a mother's eyes

18 posts in this topic

So, y'all that know me, know my boys have ridden since they could hold their little bobble heads up in a chest pack with me on trail rides. They are pretty much my world. Some of you have watched them grow up with me online. 

When I left "Up North", Jesse stayed behind, and my heart shattered into a million little pieces.

A year ago last January, he decided to come live with me in Texas. He wanted to learn "The Cowboy Way".  I found him a ranch job, and he learned that fixing fences suck, beef cows are a little more (okay, a LOT more) temperamental than dairy cows, bulls that wreck fences and break their man bits chasing after heifers make good burgers, and Texas horses are a different breed than the MN bred horses.

He wanted to ride a bucking horse, after starting a few ranch colts and not dying. 

So, we entered him in our little local rodeo in Ranch Bronc last year. I have a few friends that have him a quick handful of pointers, padded  the horn on my old barrel saddle,  and he made a 65 point ride . 

He was hooked. He has entered every rodeo he could find locally, and has been driving me nuts.  But, after that first one, he's been thrown every ride since. Heck, the one in March, he rode 6 1/2 seconds with a 103* temp, lost his focus and hung up, sprained his ankle. (I was at work, didn't know he was that sick, or I wouldn't have let him ride.) Took him to the e.r. and he was positive for Flu A, so we discussed NOT riding when we are sick, because it throws off our focus and balance. 

Jesse has been in a funk since, and gunshy, so to speak. 

Last night, was the 3 year anniversary of losing Uncle Pat, the one who gave us a soft spot to land in Texas, and I am convinced, Jesse had an angel riding with him last night. 74 points, high point ride. 2 more riders in tonight's rodeo, but he's in the money. 

Here's some pics from my point of view, a couple wall hangers for sure. The horse is a little Bareback mare from Brown Rodeo Company, they asked him to not use a halter, just a neck rope, because she is a good bareback bronc, and I'm working on finding her name.

Thank you, beautiful little mare, for carrying my boy to his dreams, and not stomping his face into the dirt .

FB_IMG_1502545222889.jpg

National Anthem, that guy with the Texas Flag is like 90 something.

FB_IMG_1502545202045.jpg

FB_IMG_1502545154557.jpg

This pic chokes me up. 

FB_IMG_1502516426381.jpg

She's a wild one, but she's freaking gorgeous~! 

FB_IMG_1502545249681.jpg

Loading up...

FB_IMG_1502545256032.jpg

"Lookin' for 8 when they pull that gate..."

FB_IMG_1502545363587.jpg

His face in this one though... :crazy:

FB_IMG_1502516446243.jpg

The stock contractor wants to buy this pic for their webpage! 

FB_IMG_1502545391549.jpg

Sidenote... in Ranch Bronc, rider IS allowed to use both hands...

FB_IMG_1502545397201.jpg

...which I am happy for, because as nervous as I was, he needs to hang on, dang it!

FB_IMG_1502545403621.jpg

HOWEVER, if you DO "showboat", you get more points. 

FB_IMG_1502545408606.jpg

And, he knows he's got it at this point! My buddy who is one of the pick up men for this stock contractor, had to literally pull him off, then had to come give me crap about it, lol! I told him, "Casey, I TOLD you for the last what, 6 rides, that I told Jesse to not let go til Casey comes and pulls you off! This is just the first time it worked out that way!"

FB_IMG_1502545414879.jpg

I know I can see the relief, the disbelief, and I think that ol' rodeo bug just bit him a little harder in this one. 

FB_IMG_1502545421450.jpg

Gotta love a cowboy that tips his hat to his crowd, but this one was to the stock contractor and his little mare.

FB_IMG_1502545426807.jpg

Hearts and flowers and stuff.

Edited by redneckcowgirlmn
Captions on the pics

Red,  Nice pictures, Jesse is looking good in those pictures, every young person has to follow their dreams, but it is sometimes hard to watch them riding bucking horses & bulls.  Just let him know, some of your old friends are pulling for him.   Take Care & Best Wishes.  PD

Congratulations to your young man......very nice looking young man, I might add.

Thanks, everyone. He's come a long way in the last 10 years, anyone remember him and his adventures with our little Perky pony?

FB_IMG_1502552249296.jpg

FB_IMG_1502552287343.jpg

FB_IMG_1502552310248.jpg

Thank you for sharing! Tell him for me....What a great ride! I'm proud of him!

A friend on Face Book decided to start a Horse City reunion and put me in the group without asking me. lol. So I tried to log in and guessed the wrong pass word so made another and then looked at my account and pictures and the list of friends are gone. lol. SO decided to look for names that might ring a bell and here I am to my long time friend I hope still anyway. lol. Wow, I had no idea that Jesse was riding broncs now. That is sooooo great that he had a great ride at a perfect time for it. He sure has grown up and changed so much since I saw him last but has been some years. He may not remember me but tell him Hi for me and congratulations. Wish you the best as well Pretty Lady. I never did make it to Texas like I planned to darn it. Take care of yourself.

I am so glad Jesse had that ride. It gets tough when you aren't succeeding like you want - makes you want to give up - but now with a ride like that, he's back in the game.

Now, for you - good luck! I'm sure it must be hard to watch him out on bucking broncs. I'd have no nails left! I hope he continues to have success.

Looks like a young man to be proud of, but he's sure picked a bumpy dream to follow -- literally! Please let him know we'll all be cheering him on here at Horse City.

My back (and back end) hurts just from looking at those photos! It looks like he got quite a ride. I hope he doesn't graduate to bulls!  :o

LOL, thanks, all! jubal, we discussed bulls. As long as he's on my insurance, there will be no bulls. End of discussion. He gets his own insurance, he can do what he wants... under his own roof. ;)

ROBERT! Of COURSE you're still my friend, you knot head, lol!

20 hours ago, SerahRose said:

Did he end up high score?

He ended up second, a guy the next night got a 76 point ride, but he still won $208. Only $792 to go til he loses "Rookie" status, lol! 

He rode Saturday night just because he could, if he would have made the buzzer, his score wouldn't count. But... he made it about 2 jumps. Bigger badder horse, this one played Helicopter with him. 

Quote from Jesse: " My butt hit his butt, my ribs hit his neck, my back hit the saddle, then my face hit his butt... I didn't think I was EVER gonna hit the ground!"

Glad I chose to not go that night and see that one. Possible cracked ribs, knocked the wind out of him, but he's alright.  Dang kid.  We rode OUR horses the other night, and he said it was weird to be on one that wasn't trying to kill him. :surrender:

Wow - congratulations to Jesse - great story and great photos!  Praying for good rides for him!